English Orthography Reform

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Re: English Orthography Reform

Post by qwed117 »

Xonen wrote:Anyway:
qwed117 wrote:Thirdly, your own source shows why "have" is spelled "have" and not "hav". In fact, it's rule 3.
I believe the point is that such rules are needless and could be removed in a reform.
You could delete these rules, I'm fine with that, the effects would be largely unnecessary. There is a length of morphological complexity that prevents english boundaries from being drawn on the lines of say the long-short vowel correspondence or the complex vowel reduction rules.
Sumelic wrote:
Xonen wrote:Anyway:
Furthermore, a lot of current spellings don't reflect the history anyway. I keep a list, since this is the kind of thing I find interesting; some examples are room, gloom, droop, coop, loop, stoop, troop. None of these were ever pronounced with /oː/, as their spelling falsely suggests; they all had /uː/ in Middle English (the following labial consonant inhibited the general diphthongization of /uː/ to /aʊ/). There's no reason we should use oo in these words, but ou in soup and group.
Etymology? (I mean, "troop" and "troupe" should be "troup"). That's part of the reason we have "-ize". "eye" should be spelled differently. But what?
Xonen wrote: As far as I can tell, you haven't; you've just addressed fairly trivial side issues and told the other person to shut up (almost as if you weren't actually interested in having this discussion at all... [¬.¬] ). There are irregularities in English spelling that correspond to no dialectal differences, and a minor reform targeting such irregularities would not in any way make the spelling less usable for speakers of different dialects.
I mostly agree with Xonen. English has never had a comprehensive, organized reform. There's a lot of low-hanging fruit like the "p" in "receipt" that could be regularized without changing any of the overall rules, and without doing any harm to transdialect communication. The Panglossian idea that our current orthographical system is "the best for our language" in all aspects is unsupportable. That doesn't mean that there aren't benefits to some parts of the current system, and it doesn't mean that the non-optimal parts ought to be reformed (reforms always have costs involved).
There are small changes that I'd "accept". But part of most orthographical treatises are the long-short-reduced vowel problem, which extends much further than straight phonology - diving deep into morphology and derivational patterns. I, personally, prefer puristic derivational morphology, so divine and divinity would have to keep the same intermediate vowels, and receipt and receive should optimally have the same middle consonant. Those weird -sion, -tion should be kept. Because they enable quick translational benefits between languages such as French and Spanish (hooray for lazy cognate translation!). Names also get butchered. "Nathan" and "Nathaniel" are no longer perfect matches. (And I would prefer spelling repronounciation. "receipt", "receive" and "reception" are a lovely derivational pattern. Now if we only pronounced it that way... [<3])

The original complaint was the comparison of English as to other languages. To put it this way, Finnish's page on Phonology is roughly half the length of English. Finnish's page on grammar well more than makes up for that. And I'm sure, shortening the phonology page of English will make our grammar page much longer.

(That being said, there are plenty of caveats, like subpages)
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Sumelic
greek
greek

Post by Sumelic »

qwed117 wrote:
Sumelic wrote: Furthermore, a lot of current spellings don't reflect the history anyway. I keep a list, since this is the kind of thing I find interesting; some examples are room, gloom, droop, coop, loop, stoop, troop. None of these were ever pronounced with /oː/, as their spelling falsely suggests; they all had /uː/ in Middle English (the following labial consonant inhibited the general diphthongization of /uː/ to /aʊ/). There's no reason we should use oo in these words, but ou in soup and group.
Etymology? (I mean, "troop" and "troupe" should be "troup"). That's part of the reason we have "-ize". "eye" should be spelled differently. But what?
What I was saying is that the spelling "oo" has nothing to do with etymology for these words. The ones that we have attested spellings for in Middle English had "ou/ow" back then. They only became spelled with "oo" after the Great Vowel Shift caused these two sounds to merge in this context. In this context, it's as unetymological as it is in "aboot" or "Hindoo."
qwed117 wrote: There are small changes that I'd "accept".
Sounds like we're on the same page here.
qwed117 wrote: But part of most orthographical treatises are the long-short-reduced vowel problem, which extends much further than straight phonology - diving deep into morphology and derivational patterns. I, personally, prefer puristic derivational morphology, so divine and divinity would have to keep the same intermediate vowels, and receipt and receive should optimally have the same middle consonant.
I don't understand what you mean here. Do you prefer "divine" and "divinity" to have the same vowel in the spelling, or in the pronunciation? If you're just referring to the spelling, then there are already areas where current English spelling has vowel changes such as clear/clarity or speak/speech. If you're referring to the pronunciation, I can't really understand your viewpoint at all--I've never had any desire to drastically reform the pronunciation of English, and that seems more radical to me than spelling reforms.
qwed117 wrote: Those weird -sion, -tion should be kept. Because they enable quick translational benefits between languages such as French and Spanish (hooray for lazy cognate translation!).
Eh. Spanish has changed -tion to -cion anyway. But this is not a problematic area of English spelling anyway, so it would be low-priority for any reasonable reform.
qwed117 wrote: Names also get butchered. "Nathan" and "Nathaniel" are no longer perfect matches.
Like "Anthony" and "Antonio," or "John" and "Ivan."
qwed117 wrote: (And I would prefer spelling repronounciation. "receipt", "receive" and "reception" are a lovely derivational pattern. Now if we only pronounced it that way... [<3])
We definitely differ here. I despise spelling pronunciations and try to eliminate them as much as possible from my speech. I also hate "receipt" because it's inconsistent with "conceit" and "deceit."
qwed117 wrote: The original complaint was the comparison of English as to other languages. To put it this way, Finnish's page on Phonology is roughly half the length of English. Finnish's page on grammar well more than makes up for that. And I'm sure, shortening the phonology page of English will make our grammar page much longer.

(That being said, there are plenty of caveats, like subpages)
I don't understand this analogy. For one thing, nobody's ever proved as a general principle that all languages are of equal complexity. For another thing, orthography isn't even a part of phonology anyway. An orthographic system is parasitic on a spoken language; it is derived from it and can influence it, but it's not an essential part. Plenty of languages exist without one.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

ghoughpteighbteau tchoghs

:wat:
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

My kind of spelling reform would be a language reform.
Wind back the clock, try again with fewer ingredients.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
MoonRightRomantic
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by MoonRightRomantic »

While there are noticeable differences in dialects, this is not an insurmountable barrier to spelling reform.

But as I said I am more interested in the "Cut Spelling" reform, which cuts superfluous letters without affecting any dialects. Once the English speaking world has become accustomed to cut spelling, then another round of reforms that corrects vowels to their correct forms from before the Dutch printing errors might be accepted. Those reforms are dialect neutral because they predate the proliferation of most English dialects. Any further reforms would require accounting for transdialect communication at convention summit.

These reforms are best performed by updating spellcheck to use them. Since most rely in spellcheck, the cut spelling reform would proceed largely seamlessly. The dutch printer vowel reform would probably be more noticeable.

The majority of English speakers nowadays are ESL speakers, and from my experience the vast majority agree that English spelling is awful. So English spelling reform, ironically, benefits only the majority of English speakers: children and ESL speakers. It's an absurd state of affairs when you think about it.
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

English spelling reform was once very near and dear to my heart but there is so much inertia against spelling reform even the most basic and logical reforms seem dead in the water. If I could even just install thru and tho and remove u after every q I would feel accomplished enough to call it a day.
noah
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by noah »

I've tried to make mine concise and as compatible with the modern English orthography as possible. So, there are only twenty-six letters (although there are fourteen digraphs), and while diacritics can be used they are not mandatory, and are only supposed to be for learners or formal texts.

It's still not done, though -- I need a way to represent /ə/, and a better way to represent /u/ (temporarily <Ʉʉ>). Here are the letters:
  • - Aa, /æ/
    - Bb, /b/
    - Cc, /tʃ/
    - Dd, /d/
    - Ee, /ɛ/
    - Ff, /f/
    - Gg, /g/
    - Hh, /h/
    - Iı, /ɪ/
    - İi, /i/
    - Jj, /dʒ/
    - Kk, /k/
    - Ll, /l/
    - Mm, /m/
    - Nn, /n/
    - Oo, /o/
    - Pp, /p/
    - Rr, /r/
    - Ss, /s/
    - Tt, /t/
    - Uu, /ʌ/
    - Ʉʉ, /u/
    - Vv, /v/
    - Ww, /w/
    - Yy, /j/
    - Zz, /z/
And the digraphs. Some of them don't actually perfectly match up with how they'd be pronounced 100% because of the fucky-ness with i and ı, but most of them are either from modern English (or for a couple, German).

Consonants:
  • - th, /θ/
    - dh, /ð/
    - sh, /ʃ/
    - zh, /ʒ/
    - ng, /ŋ/

And for rhotic dialects (for non-rhotic dialects, the schwa character would be used instead once I have one):
    - er, /ɝ/ and /ɚ/ since there is no phonemic distinction between the two
And vowels:
  • - oa, /ɔ/
    - oo, /ʊ/
    - aa, /ɑ/
    - au, /ɒ/
    - oi, /ɔɪ/
    - ei, /aɪ/
    - ai, /eɪ/
    - ou, /aʊ/
Although a few words retain their old spellings:
  • - proper nouns, such as names
    - the pronoun "I" is still spelled the same way, not "ei", but with a capital ı
    - the word "clan" is still not spelled with a k, but a c, because of its association with the KKK.
There are also two optional diacritics. They can be included or not included at the will of the writer:

Diaresis
This separates vowel sounds into separate syllables. Zoölaujıkl would be how I would write "zoological". So you know it's /zo.o/, not /zʊ/.

Acute Accent
This indicates stress when a word's stress patterns are abnormal. This means that it is used for verbs if the stress falls on anything other than the second syllable, like in export (ékspoart). There is, however, an exception for words that have a homonym that is a noun, such as console (konsol *n*, konsól *v*), where the accent is always on the verb.

For all other parts of speech, there will be a stress accent if the stress falls on a syllable that is not the first, as in computer (kympyʉ́ter).

I'm considering doubling letters to represent geminate sounds, but seeing as geminates don't really affect what a word means I feel that it would just lengthen words, and there's not really a point. Thoughts?
Sumelic
greek
greek

Post by Sumelic »

noah wrote: - Aa, /æ/
- aa, /ɑ/
- au, /ɒ/
- oa, /ɔ/
Have you read the article by John Wells that MoonRightRomantic lank to earlier in this thread? It points out the issues with distinguishing "trap"/"bath"/"father" and "cloth"/"lot"/"thought" in spelling (the trap-bath split affects some, but not all speakers, and even for speakers with the split some words can use either phoneme). The trap/father distinction has a very low functional load, especially if you spell words like "psalm" with L (using "al" here makes some sense in a pan-dialectal orthography since some North American speakers have restored this consonant or use /ɔ/ instead of /ɑ/). I think there are more minimal pairs for ɒ/ɔ, but there are still notable areas of variance or neutralization such as "salt."

Then again, it sounds like you are not aiming for a pan-dialectal orthography since you say rhotic and non-rhotic dialects will have different representations of /ɚ/~/ə/.

In any case, using a digraph for /ɒ/ seems like an odd choice. You haven't followed it in your example konsol, which from what I understand should be kaunsol.
- Iı, /ɪ/
- İi, /i/
It's quite hard for me in this font to even see the difference between I and İ, not to mention lowercase l. Also, consider the problems that have arisen in Turkish from using a non-standard mapping between lowercase and uppercase dotted/dotless "i"s. This doesn't seem like a good system to me.
I'm considering doubling letters to represent geminate sounds, but seeing as geminates don't really affect what a word means I feel that it would just lengthen words, and there's not really a point. Thoughts?
What do you mean by "geminates"? English normally isn't analyzed as having phonemic consonant length, so "geminates" only arise from adjacent identical consonants in morphologically complex words (mostly compounds such as "lamppost," but also some words with certain prefixes or suffixes such as "un-," "-ness," or "-ly"). This occurs rarely, so I doubt writing it out would lengthen texts significantly.
noah
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by noah »

Sumelic wrote:It points out the issues with distinguishing "trap"/"bath"/"father" and "cloth"/"lot"/"thought" in spelling (the trap-bath split affects some, but not all speakers, and even for speakers with the split some words can use either phoneme). The trap/father distinction has a very low functional load, especially if you spell words like "psalm" with L (using "al" here makes some sense in a pan-dialectal orthography since some North American speakers have restored this consonant or use /ɔ/ instead of /ɑ/). I think there are more minimal pairs for ɒ/ɔ, but there are still notable areas of variance or neutralization such as "salt."
Well, yeah, you were right, this isn't a pan-dialectal orthography. Words are written as they're pronounced by the speaker, but if they're writing for people outside their dialect where understanding is a concern they can write in GenAm, RP, whatever.
Sumelic wrote:In any case, using a digraph for /ɒ/ seems like an odd choice. You haven't followed it in your example konsol, which from what I understand should be kaunsol.
There are a lot of digraphs only because I'm trying to keep my reform at 26 letters to make it easier to type.
Sumelic wrote:
- Iı, /ɪ/
- İi, /i/
It's quite hard for me in this font to even see the difference between I and İ, not to mention lowercase l. Also, consider the problems that have arisen in Turkish from using a non-standard mapping between lowercase and uppercase dotted/dotless "i"s. This doesn't seem like a good system to me.
What kind of issues have there been? The only one I can think of is that İ and ı aren't represented in archaic systems that only support ASCII. But there could be an alternate system like in German where "ö" becomes "oe" if the character is not available. Something like i for ı and ii for i.
Sumelic wrote:
What do you mean by "geminates"? English normally isn't analyzed as having phonemic consonant length, so "geminates" only arise from adjacent identical consonants in morphologically complex words (mostly compounds such as "lamppost," but also some words with certain prefixes or suffixes such as "un-," "-ness," or "-ly"). This occurs rarely, so I doubt writing it out would lengthen texts significantly.
No, it wouldn't lengthen it significantly. But seeing as, like you said, consonant length isn't phonemic in any dialect of English I'm aware of, I feel like there wouldn't really be a point in showing geminates.
Sumelic
greek
greek

Post by Sumelic »

noah wrote: There are a lot of digraphs only because I'm trying to keep my reform at 26 letters to make it easier to type.
Hmm. Not sure how effective that is unless you define actual equivalences between your non-ASCII letters and the remaining letters of the old normal English alphabet (like ʉ = q, ı = x etc).
noah wrote:
Sumelic wrote:
- Iı, /ɪ/
- İi, /i/
What kind of issues have there been? The only one I can think of is that İ and ı aren't represented in archaic systems that only support ASCII. But there could be an alternate system like in German where "ö" becomes "oe" if the character is not available. Something like i for ı and ii for i.
I was thinking of this: http://gizmodo.com/382026/a-cellphones- ... re-in-jail
MoonRightRomantic
cuneiform
cuneiform

The only way to bypass accents in writing would be to switch to a featural abugida like Notae or Enganagri, where vowels and voicing are represented by optional diacritics.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

MoonRightRomantic wrote:The only way to bypass accents in writing would be to switch to a featural abugida like Notae or Enganagri, where vowels and voicing are represented by optional diacritics.
however, what if the pronunciation of words in certain dialects involves in the change of consonants? an example is AAVE.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
noah
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by noah »

MoonRightRomantic wrote:The only way to bypass accents in writing would be to switch to a featural abugida like Notae or Enganagri, where vowels and voicing are represented by optional diacritics.
Nah, you just write in your accent. There's no one "correct" orthography, though if this were implemented students could learn Standard English pronunciations so that they can communicate with people who might not understand their native dialect.
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

Surely the pronunciation to base it on would be received pronunciation. It's basically the understood one across pretty much all dialects of English and is what is used when catering to multiple dialects - most often in news programmes.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

OTheB wrote:Surely the pronunciation to base it on would be received pronunciation. It's basically the understood one across pretty much all dialects of English and is what is used when catering to multiple dialects - most often in news programmes.
Nah, General American is spoken over 300 million, so there's less of a shift required
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

The SqwedgePad
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

qwed117 wrote:
OTheB wrote:Surely the pronunciation to base it on would be received pronunciation. It's basically the understood one across pretty much all dialects of English and is what is used when catering to multiple dialects - most often in news programmes.
Nah, General American is spoken over 300 million, so there's less of a shift required
But we're reforming English, so surely we want to base it on English, and not American English (which, personally, I don't like linking so closely with English)
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

So we can all be on the same page here, what's your definition of "English"? I get the sense it's not the same as noah's or the other commenters'. I think they'd probably agree with the Wiktionary definition:
Wiktionary wrote:The language originating in England but now spoken in all parts of the British Isles, the Commonwealth of Nations, North America, and other parts of the world.
noah
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by noah »

OTheB wrote:
qwed117 wrote:
But we're reforming English, so surely we want to base it on English, and not American English (which, personally, I don't like linking so closely with English)
That's pretty badling-y, though. American English is English, just like RP. And Australian English, and South African English, and so on. All of the major standard dialects are basically universally understood among English speakers.
MoonRightRomantic
cuneiform
cuneiform

noah wrote:
OTheB wrote:
qwed117 wrote:
That's pretty badling-y, though. American English is English, just like RP. And Australian English, and South African English, and so on. All of the major standard dialects are basically universally understood among English speakers.
Modern mass communication ensures that linguistic drift cannot occur regardless of how much English continues to change compared to the past.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

MoonRightRomantic wrote:
noah wrote:
OTheB wrote:
qwed117 wrote:
Modern mass communication ensures that linguistic drift cannot occur regardless of how much English continues to change compared to the past.
You think? I'd look at how GAm has changed over the last 50 years, and it's diversification. Look at Valley English and New Jerseyan English.
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad