Commonthroat: a language that only a dog could probably pronounce

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
lurker
greek
greek

Commonthroat: a language that only a dog could probably pronounce

Post by lurker »

Context

So this is part of my Lonely Galaxy project. See this thread for more info on the world surrounding this language.

The Yinrih are arboreal canid monotreme-esque aliens with four prehensile paws and a prehensile tail. The best way I can describe them is that they have the head and body of a canid, paws like an opossum (except with an outer thumb, four fingers, and an inner thumb), and the tail of a binturong. They are very good climbers but have to walk on all fours. They've terraformed every suitable body in their solar system, but until they contact humanity they're as alone as we are, so first contact is mutual.

Since the Yinrih don't use their tongue, teeth, or lips when speaking, they refer to languages as "throats" rather than "tongues", hence the name of the language "Commonthroat". You can also guess that it's a lingua franca filling a similar niche as English does on Earth. The Yinrih have a bunch of other languages, but only one language family. They started writing as soon as they started talking, so their history covers their entire existence as a sapient species, and they never completely sundered into isolated cultures like we humans did before we invented writing.

Phonology

To a human, Commonthroat, as well as other yinrih languages, sounds like the quiet yipping and growling made by a dreaming dog. The gammut of sounds that a yinrih can produce is very limited compared to a human's vocal repertoire. There are six actual "sounds" in Commonthroat: three vowels and three consonants.

Vowels

Vowels carry most of the weight. There are three vowel qualities, or phonations: a whine, a growl, and a grunt. These vowels can either be plain (monophthongs) or contoured (diphthongs). A plain vowel can have one of two lengths (short or long), one of two tones (low or high) and one of two volumes, or strengths as they are called here (weak or strong).

A contour consists of two plain vowels which serve as the endpoints of a gradient. The attributes of each plain vowel determine the "shape" of the gradient. There are two rules that govern what vowels can form contours. First, two plain vowels that differ only in length cannot form a contour. Second, the two vowels must have the same phonation type. If either of these two rules are broken, a hiatus occurs between the vowels and they form two syllables.

The following tables show the notation used for vowels.

Lowercase letters are short. Uppercase letters are long.

Whines:

Code: Select all

weak    strong
low     b B     c C
high    d D     f F
Growls:

weak    strong
low     g G     h H
high    j J     k K
Grunts:

weak    strong
low     l L     m M
high    n N     p P
Describing vowels

Since humans can't actually utter Commonthroat, the best way to convey how a word is pronounced is to describe its phonetic features one by one. For plain vowels, this is simple enough: give its length, tone, strength, then phonation. <b> is a short, low, weak whine. <P> is a long, high, strong grunt.

Describing contours gets a little trickier. If both of the vowels in a contour share a phonetic feature, we use the same description we would for a plain vowel with that feature. If both vowels are long, then the contour is simply described as long. If both vowels are high, the contour as a whole is high, and so on. If there is a gradient between the two vowels, we describe it as follows:

A vowel that goes from low to high tone is called "rising", and if it goes from high tone to low tone it's "falling".
A vowel that goes from weak strength to strong, we call that "strengthening" (increasing volume), and if it goes from strong to weak it's called "weakening" (decreasing volume). Hopefully it makes sense so far.

But what about length? If the first vowel is short and the second is long, then the change from one vowel to the other occurs earlier in the syllable, so we call these contours "early". If the first vowel is long and the second is short, the change occurs later in the syllable, so these contours are called "late".

Consonants

Consonants are simple compared to vowels. There are only three: a huff, a chuff, and a yip. A huff is an exhalation through the nose. A chuff is similar to a huff, but trilled. It sounds somewhat like a short purr. Yinrih chuff as a form of greeting, like a human smile. A yip is a quiet little bark.

Here's a table of the consonant symbols

symbol	sound

q	huff
r	chuff
s	yip
Phonetactics

The syllable structure is (C)V(C), and a yip cannot occur in coda position. With the phonology and phonetatics covered, here's an exhaustive list of every possible monosyllable in the language. It comes out to 2016 in total.

[WIP]

Before moving on to the grammar, here are a few final notes on the vagaries of the yinrih vocal tract. Yinrih can produce a few more sounds, but these are considered paralinguistic, at least in Commonthroat, just as English-speakers use clicks to express disaproval or a bilabial trill to indicate the speaker is cold. Yinrih can produce a hissing noise that can be plain or trilled. A trilled hiss is used to express unwelcome surprise, similar to a human saying "arrgh!" or "ouch!"

The language as a whole is very quiet by human standards. Yinrih can't project their voice in the same way a human can. They've had to spend a lot of effort making their machines and other technology as quiet as possible in order to hear one another talking. For example, yinrih mechs, which are four-footed like their pilots, are completely silent save for the dull thud of the machine's tread across the ground.

Yinrih also can't sing like humans can, both because they can't project their voice and because tone, volume, and timing are phonemic, so they can't put words to a melody. But they can howl. One particular style of liturgical music involves a schola howling a polyphonic chant to evoke emotion, while a chorus recites vocals at intervals to convey meaning.

Grammar

Nouns

When you think of nouns having inflections, most people think of noun cases. Noun cases relate a particular noun to its syntactic role in the sentence. Commonthroat inflects nouns for deixis. Deixis is how a noun relates to the real world person, place, or thing it's referring to. In most languages, deictic words include terms for the relative position of an object like "this", "that", "yonder", as well as the person of the noun. English usually requires you to use pronouns I, you, when referring to the speaker or listener. Sometimes you can include a clarifying noun phrase set off by commas When did we humans lose our fur?. Spanish lets you use a regular noun, but I've only seen this in the first person plural ¿Cuándo los humanos perdimos el pelaje? (By the way, it was about 2 million years ago, and it was because we started sweating).

Here are the six deictic suffixes used on nouns:

suffix	meaning

-l	1st person
-qn	2nd person
-g	3rd person indefinite
-Mr	3rd person proximal
-qN  3rd person medial
-p	3rd person distal
-BD	interrogative 
The lemma (dictionary form) of a noun is the 3rd person indefinite form. Here's an example declension of the word <sFsFg>, which means friend:

sFsFl I, the friend
sFsFqn you, the friend
sFsFg a friend, some friend, friends in general
sFsFMr This friend
sFsFqN that friend
sFsFp yonder friend
sFsFBD What friend?

The first person identifies the referent of the noun as the speaker.
The second person identifies the referent of the noun as the listener.
The 3rd person indefinite indicates that the referent is unimportant, not known, or that the noun describes a general class of entities.
The 3rd person proximal identifies the referent as something close to the speaker.
The 3rd person medial identifies the referent as something far from the speaker but close to the listener.
The 3rd person distal identifies the referent as something far away from both the speaker and the listener.
The interrogative indicates the speaker is requesting that the referent of the noun be identified.

Grammatical number is optional. It is indicated by quantitative adjectives, which come before the noun. You can indicate plurals by using the adjective <h>.

There are no pronouns. You must use a noun inflected in the first or second person to refer to yourself or the listener, respectively. While this may seem awkward, it allows for some rather laconic expressions, and allows for clarification of the relationship between speaker and listener.

Verbs

Verbs inflect for mood, which indicates things like the speaker's confidence in the truth of the statement, whether an action was performed intentionally, whether the speaker directly witnessed an event or whether they're inferring it from indirect evidence, if the speaker is surprised by the event, and if the speaker wishes to emphasize the truth of the statement.

There are four moods defined so far.

suffix	meaning

-∅	Authoritative
-b	Nonauthoritative
-sfsf	Mirative
-K Dogmatic
In a very general sense the verb forms indicate the following:

The authoritative form means the speaker is confident the statement is true.

The nonauthoritative form indicates a bit of a hedge on the part of the speaker regarding the truth of the statement. Simple sentences with nonauthoritative verbs can be translated as "I think that..." or "I believe that..." or "it seems that..." and so forth.

The mirative indicates the speaker is surprised by the event.

The dogmatic form is probably the most unique. It is used when the speaker wishes to emphasize the truth of the statement. It can be used similarly to the emphatic do in English, as in I do wash my hands after using the restroom.. It can also be used when making promises or threats, when proclaiming laws, when making axiomatic statements like All human beings are born free and equal. It's also used when answering yes/no questions.

Syntax

Word order is SVO. If there is an indirect object, it follows the object. Adjectives follow their nouns. Modals appear at the beginning of the sentence, and adverbs are just adjectives shunted to the start of the clause.

Gloss

The English translation is on the first line, the "Romanization" on the second, and the gloss on the third.

Greetings, Hearthkeeper. May the sun warm your back.
oIm        oanL-njH-mk        I   obn-njH-l          mEm-a        Dnh-l       mK
salutation custodian-hearth-2 may star-hearth-3.DIST warm-NONAUTH back-3.DIST your

I bring you joyful tidings.
Jmc-oc-i              nEm   oDm-e       oBoB   nCm-mk
rainbow-FEMALE_NAME-1 bring news-3.INDF joyful female_superior-2.

We have found other sapients at last!
emG     f  nFmL-i       dBm-odod f  ef-bcm-j-e
finally PL missionary-1 find-MIR PL why-ask-AGENTIVE-3.INDF
Lore Notes

The Hearthkeeper is the leader of the Bright Way, the formerly dominant religion in Yinrih culture. Basically she's a pope/vestal virgin hybrid.

"May the sun warm your back" is a formulaic greeting used in letters. Equivalent to "I hope this letter finds you well." The Yinrih are quadrupedal and thus have backs that are parallel to the ground.

The Yinrih's name for their star translates to "Hearth" or "Hearth-star". Because it's impossible to borrow words from Commonthroat into English, Humans call the Yinrih's star Focus, the Latin word for hearth.

<Jmc-oc>, glossed as *Rainbow*, is the leader of the missionary expedition that arrives on Earth. She is a cleric of the Bright Way. Pious Yinrih names usually have something to do with light or phenomena that produce light.

One of the central goals of the Bright Way is to find other rational beings, but until they find us they've come up empty, so our First Contact is also their First Contact. The Bright Way has lost relevance thanks to the Yinrih confronting the Fermi Paradox, but finding humans triggers a great awakening of sorts. I'm up in the air as to why they're looking, though. I just think that a religion whose central dogma requires other sapients to exist is interesting.

The Yinrih refer to the concept of sapience as "asking why". The idea is that lower animals may ask all kinds of questions (Where can I safely sleep? How can I catch this prey? What made that noise? etc), but it takes a rational mind to ask why things are the way they are, so a sapient being is referred to as "one who asks why".

What do you think? I'm particularly hoping people can comment on the phonology, and suggest other verb forms.mmmmmm
Last edited by lurker on 27 Apr 2024 15:40, edited 10 times in total.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Commonthroat: a language that only a dog could probably pronounce

Post by Khemehekis »

I'm no cynologist, but clearly you've done your field research! Looks great to me!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

I read a single article on dog vocalization and spent some time listening to my dog as he slept. Part of me is a little unsatisfied with the phonology but I have to start somewhere. It's really hard to come up with words that "sound" the way I want. Since I can't reproduce the phonemes I have to just imagine what they would sound like and hope other people get the same impression.

I've had the idea for a language that inflects nouns for deixis in my head for over a decade.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I like it! I will follow; probably as a lurker (sorry!).
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Here's a word list from the gloss and grammar. I've decided that adverbs are just adjectives placed at the beginning of the clause.

_i	1st person noun suffix
_mk	2nd person noun suffux
_e	3rd person indefinate noun suffix
_Jn	3rd person proximal noun suffix
_l	3rd person distal noun suffix
_AC	interrogative noun suffix
_a	nonauthoritative verb suffix
_odod	mirative verb suffix
oIm	salutations (used in letters)
onaL	custodian, guardian
njH	hearth
I	modal (wish/hope/desire)
obn	star
mEm	to warm (transitive)
Dnh	back (anatomy)
mK	your
Jmc	rainbow
_oc	suffix forming female names
nEm	bring (ditransitive)
oDm	news, tidings
oBoB	joyful
nCm	female religious superior
emG	finally (final?)
f	plural particle
nFmL	missionary
dBm	find
ef	why?
bcm	ask
_j	agentive verbal suffix
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Some more sentences to flesh out some particulars:
The 2nd person noun suffix can act as a vocative.

Light shine upon you, friend
I	nILm-l          ABm-a                oDoD-mk 
may	light-3.DIST    illuminate-NONAUTH   friend-2
This is the customary introductory greeting. There's a gesture that usually goes with it that involves rearing up on the hind legs and patting oneself on the abdomen with the left forepaw. It's meant to demonstrate trust by exposing your vulnerable underbelly to your interlocutor.

There is no copula, and predicate adjectives can inflect like verbs.

Wow, that guy is tall!
hfmhf-l       iB-odod
male-3.DIST   big-MIR
A typical yinrih's reaction to seeing a human for the first time. When standing normally, they come up to between our knees or our waist.
<hfmhf> is equivalent to the English "dude" or "guy". The more science-y term for a male of any species is <jmJ>.
You can drop subject pronouns if the context is clear.

[You] put your egg in the nest.
L     oEF-Jn          mlm Hm-l         mK
in    nest-3.PROX     put egg-3.DIST   your
This phrase deserves some unpacking, as it's an idiom that reveals a ton about yinrih biology and the culture that springs from it. As a saying, it means to make a long-term commitment. It may be used in a similar way to "You made your bed, now sleep in it." or "In it for the long haul." depending on context.

You can gather by the words "egg" and "nest" that the yinrih are oviparous... sort of. Their reproductive strategy resembles some species of fish, in that the eggs are fertilized externally. Both genders lay what they call <Hm>, although the male <Hm> and female <Hm> are different, they don't distinguish between the two in informal speech.

Both males and females will lay a single egg. Up to six fathers and six mothers can contribute to a single clutch. You can have as few as a single mother and father, but this isn't considered optimal. They place their eggs in a protected location. The <oEF> is the structure that forms over the clutch. It's a lot like an external womb. After this "womb-nest" forms, the eggshells melt and the genetic material from all the contributing fathers and mothers mingles into a soup. Embryos form out of this soup and grow into a litter of kits. Each kit is a genetic combination of all the contributing parents.

This reproductive strategy means the yinrih completely lack the concept of Eros, and thus lack all the cultural consequences that come with it. There's no dating and no marriage. Groups of parents can form out of very diverse situations. Often, a group of good friends can decide to start a family. Sometimes it's more like a business, with prospective parents being interviewed and a "mission statement" detailing how the children will be raised, and the parents see each other as coworkers. The important relationship is not among the parents, but between the parents and the children they've sired. The act of putting one's egg in the nest is the statement of commitment to raising those children. That's where the phrase comes from.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Some comments on phonetactics and another gloss for free
A syllable nucleus may either be plain or contoured. Plain nuclei consist of a single vowel of a particular phonation, length, pitch, and volume. Contoured nuclei are the commonthroat equivalents to diphthongs. There are only two restrictions on which vowels can form contours. First, two identical vowels, or two vowels that differ only in length, cannot form a contour. Such a diphthong would just be an extra long version of the plain vowel. Second, if two vowels with different phonation types are adjacent, a hiatus occurs between them, breaking them up into two syllables.

Given there are 3 phonation qualities, 2 volumes, 2 tones, and 2 lengths, and given the restrictions mentioned above, and assuming I can math, that yields a total of 144 possible syllable nuclei, an appropriate number since the yinrih use a dozenal numeral system. That's a nice round 100 in base 12.

As for permutations of onset and coda, since a yip cannot end a syllable, we get a total of 12 possible combinations of onset and coda, including the option with no onset or coda. That's another nice round 10 in duodecimal. I'm not doing this on purpose, I promise. Putting all that together, we have a total of 12*144=1728 possible syllables (1000 in base 12). All this is assuming I'm doing my math right. I failed Calculus II twice, so it's entirely possible I'm making a mistake somewhere.

Now for the gloss. Commonthroat distinguishes between alienable and inalienable possession

Human claws are flat and broadd
f  nDG-l           e                 mJmj-e           Ij      oK=g
PL claw-3.DIST     of.INALIENABLE    human-3.INDF     flat    broad=and
Yinrih have sharp, hard claws that help them climb trees, so they would naturally comment on this anatomical difference between themselves and us. Because Yinrih are arboreal quadrupeds whose paws are used equally for movement and grasping, they don't distinguish between hand/foot, arm/leg, finger/toe, or palm/sole. The commonthroat word for all four extremities is <fohg>, which I translate as "paw" even though their paws look a lot like hands. When walking on level ground, they have to stop and "stand" on their hind legs like a rat in order to manipulate objects. When climbing or when in microgravity, they can use all four paws (and the tail) to manipulate objects. Yinrih spacecraft don't use any form of artificial gravity because they're able to both move and grasp at the same time while floating.

[smelly]'s book is on the table.
ab oAB-l        FH-l           a             mJmkm-b-oh-l               ik
on table-3.DIST book-3.DIST    of.ALIENABLE  smell-y-MALE_NAME-3.DIST   is at
<e> is the preposition used for inalienable possession, while <a> is used for alienable possession. The difference, at least as I understand it, is that you can remove an alienable possession from its owner without changing the nature of either object, but an inalienable possession is an integral part of its owner and cannot be removed. My fingernails are very much attached to my hands, and I would rather they not be removed, but a book isn't an integral part of me.

<mJmkm> is hard to translate succinctly. It means a strong, pleasant odor that evokes nostalgia. <-b> is a suffix that turns a noun into an adjective, and <-oh> is a suffix used to form male names from nouns or adjectives. The yinrih have have a sense of smell every bit as keen as their canine appearance would suggest, and they rely on scent as much as sight and hearing to perceive the world around them. They have a myriad of words describing different odors, just as we have lots of words for different colors.

This phrase also touches on how humans are given names in Commonthroat. Since yinrih can't utter human speech sounds, it's common to be given a nickname by a yinrih friend. <mJmkmboh> is such a nickname. It's meant to be complimentary. The human in question probably exudes an odor that his friend finds nostalgic.

The verb <ik> is somewhat analogous to the Mandarin verb "zài", in that it means "is at" or "is in". It's used with prepositions of location.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

So apparently I can't math, but I can Python, so here's an exhaustive list of every monosyllable in the language. It doesn't come out to as round a number in base 12, but it turns out there are more monosyllables than I first thought (2016 in total, or 1200 in base 12), so that's a good thing.
Spoiler:

A
Am
An
mA
mAm
mAn
nA
nAm
nAn
oA
oAm
oAn
a
am
an
ma
mam
man
na
nam
nan
oa
oam
oan
B
Bm
Bn
mB
mBm
mBn
nB
nBm
nBn
oB
oBm
oBn
b
bm
bn
mb
mbm
mbn
nb
nbm
nbn
ob
obm
obn
C
Cm
Cn
mC
mCm
mCn
nC
nCm
nCn
oC
oCm
oCn
c
cm
cn
mc
mcm
mcn
nc
ncm
ncn
oc
ocm
ocn
D
Dm
Dn
mD
mDm
mDn
nD
nDm
nDn
oD
oDm
oDn
d
dm
dn
md
mdm
mdn
nd
ndm
ndn
od
odm
odn
E
Em
En
mE
mEm
mEn
nE
nEm
nEn
oE
oEm
oEn
e
em
en
me
mem
men
ne
nem
nen
oe
oem
oen
F
Fm
Fn
mF
mFm
mFn
nF
nFm
nFn
oF
oFm
oFn
f
fm
fn
mf
mfm
mfn
nf
nfm
nfn
of
ofm
ofn
G
Gm
Gn
mG
mGm
mGn
nG
nGm
nGn
oG
oGm
oGn
g
gm
gn
mg
mgm
mgn
ng
ngm
ngn
og
ogm
ogn
H
Hm
Hn
mH
mHm
mHn
nH
nHm
nHn
oH
oHm
oHn
h
hm
hn
mh
mhm
mhn
nh
nhm
nhn
oh
ohm
ohn
I
Im
In
mI
mIm
mIn
nI
nIm
nIn
oI
oIm
oIn
i
im
in
mi
mim
min
ni
nim
nin
oi
oim
oin
J
Jm
Jn
mJ
mJm
mJn
nJ
nJm
nJn
oJ
oJm
oJn
j
jm
jn
mj
mjm
mjn
nj
njm
njn
oj
ojm
ojn
K
Km
Kn
mK
mKm
mKn
nK
nKm
nKn
oK
oKm
oKn
k
km
kn
mk
mkm
mkn
nk
nkm
nkn
ok
okm
okn
L
Lm
Ln
mL
mLm
mLn
nL
nLm
nLn
oL
oLm
oLn
l
lm
ln
ml
mlm
mln
nl
nlm
nln
ol
olm
oln
AB
ABm
ABn
mAB
mABm
mABn
nAB
nABm
nABn
oAB
oABm
oABn
Ab
Abm
Abn
mAb
mAbm
mAbn
nAb
nAbm
nAbn
oAb
oAbm
oAbn
AC
ACm
ACn
mAC
mACm
mACn
nAC
nACm
nACn
oAC
oACm
oACn
Ac
Acm
Acn
mAc
mAcm
mAcn
nAc
nAcm
nAcn
oAc
oAcm
oAcn
AD
ADm
ADn
mAD
mADm
mADn
nAD
nADm
nADn
oAD
oADm
oADn
Ad
Adm
Adn
mAd
mAdm
mAdn
nAd
nAdm
nAdn
oAd
oAdm
oAdn
aB
aBm
aBn
maB
maBm
maBn
naB
naBm
naBn
oaB
oaBm
oaBn
ab
abm
abn
mab
mabm
mabn
nab
nabm
nabn
oab
oabm
oabn
aC
aCm
aCn
maC
maCm
maCn
naC
naCm
naCn
oaC
oaCm
oaCn
ac
acm
acn
mac
macm
macn
nac
nacm
nacn
oac
oacm
oacn
aD
aDm
aDn
maD
maDm
maDn
naD
naDm
naDn
oaD
oaDm
oaDn
ad
adm
adn
mad
madm
madn
nad
nadm
nadn
oad
oadm
oadn
BA
BAm
BAn
mBA
mBAm
mBAn
nBA
nBAm
nBAn
oBA
oBAm
oBAn
Ba
Bam
Ban
mBa
mBam
mBan
nBa
nBam
nBan
oBa
oBam
oBan
BC
BCm
BCn
mBC
mBCm
mBCn
nBC
nBCm
nBCn
oBC
oBCm
oBCn
Bc
Bcm
Bcn
mBc
mBcm
mBcn
nBc
nBcm
nBcn
oBc
oBcm
oBcn
BD
BDm
BDn
mBD
mBDm
mBDn
nBD
nBDm
nBDn
oBD
oBDm
oBDn
Bd
Bdm
Bdn
mBd
mBdm
mBdn
nBd
nBdm
nBdn
oBd
oBdm
oBdn
bA
bAm
bAn
mbA
mbAm
mbAn
nbA
nbAm
nbAn
obA
obAm
obAn
ba
bam
ban
mba
mbam
mban
nba
nbam
nban
oba
obam
oban
bC
bCm
bCn
mbC
mbCm
mbCn
nbC
nbCm
nbCn
obC
obCm
obCn
bc
bcm
bcn
mbc
mbcm
mbcn
nbc
nbcm
nbcn
obc
obcm
obcn
bD
bDm
bDn
mbD
mbDm
mbDn
nbD
nbDm
nbDn
obD
obDm
obDn
bd
bdm
bdn
mbd
mbdm
mbdn
nbd
nbdm
nbdn
obd
obdm
obdn
CA
CAm
CAn
mCA
mCAm
mCAn
nCA
nCAm
nCAn
oCA
oCAm
oCAn
Ca
Cam
Can
mCa
mCam
mCan
nCa
nCam
nCan
oCa
oCam
oCan
CB
CBm
CBn
mCB
mCBm
mCBn
nCB
nCBm
nCBn
oCB
oCBm
oCBn
Cb
Cbm
Cbn
mCb
mCbm
mCbn
nCb
nCbm
nCbn
oCb
oCbm
oCbn
CD
CDm
CDn
mCD
mCDm
mCDn
nCD
nCDm
nCDn
oCD
oCDm
oCDn
Cd
Cdm
Cdn
mCd
mCdm
mCdn
nCd
nCdm
nCdn
oCd
oCdm
oCdn
cA
cAm
cAn
mcA
mcAm
mcAn
ncA
ncAm
ncAn
ocA
ocAm
ocAn
ca
cam
can
mca
mcam
mcan
nca
ncam
ncan
oca
ocam
ocan
cB
cBm
cBn
mcB
mcBm
mcBn
ncB
ncBm
ncBn
ocB
ocBm
ocBn
cb
cbm
cbn
mcb
mcbm
mcbn
ncb
ncbm
ncbn
ocb
ocbm
ocbn
cD
cDm
cDn
mcD
mcDm
mcDn
ncD
ncDm
ncDn
ocD
ocDm
ocDn
cd
cdm
cdn
mcd
mcdm
mcdn
ncd
ncdm
ncdn
ocd
ocdm
ocdn
DA
DAm
DAn
mDA
mDAm
mDAn
nDA
nDAm
nDAn
oDA
oDAm
oDAn
Da
Dam
Dan
mDa
mDam
mDan
nDa
nDam
nDan
oDa
oDam
oDan
DB
DBm
DBn
mDB
mDBm
mDBn
nDB
nDBm
nDBn
oDB
oDBm
oDBn
Db
Dbm
Dbn
mDb
mDbm
mDbn
nDb
nDbm
nDbn
oDb
oDbm
oDbn
DC
DCm
DCn
mDC
mDCm
mDCn
nDC
nDCm
nDCn
oDC
oDCm
oDCn
Dc
Dcm
Dcn
mDc
mDcm
mDcn
nDc
nDcm
nDcn
oDc
oDcm
oDcn
dA
dAm
dAn
mdA
mdAm
mdAn
ndA
ndAm
ndAn
odA
odAm
odAn
da
dam
dan
mda
mdam
mdan
nda
ndam
ndan
oda
odam
odan
dB
dBm
dBn
mdB
mdBm
mdBn
ndB
ndBm
ndBn
odB
odBm
odBn
db
dbm
dbn
mdb
mdbm
mdbn
ndb
ndbm
ndbn
odb
odbm
odbn
dC
dCm
dCn
mdC
mdCm
mdCn
ndC
ndCm
ndCn
odC
odCm
odCn
dc
dcm
dcn
mdc
mdcm
mdcn
ndc
ndcm
ndcn
odc
odcm
odcn
EF
EFm
EFn
mEF
mEFm
mEFn
nEF
nEFm
nEFn
oEF
oEFm
oEFn
Ef
Efm
Efn
mEf
mEfm
mEfn
nEf
nEfm
nEfn
oEf
oEfm
oEfn
EG
EGm
EGn
mEG
mEGm
mEGn
nEG
nEGm
nEGn
oEG
oEGm
oEGn
Eg
Egm
Egn
mEg
mEgm
mEgn
nEg
nEgm
nEgn
oEg
oEgm
oEgn
EH
EHm
EHn
mEH
mEHm
mEHn
nEH
nEHm
nEHn
oEH
oEHm
oEHn
Eh
Ehm
Ehn
mEh
mEhm
mEhn
nEh
nEhm
nEhn
oEh
oEhm
oEhn
eF
eFm
eFn
meF
meFm
meFn
neF
neFm
neFn
oeF
oeFm
oeFn
ef
efm
efn
mef
mefm
mefn
nef
nefm
nefn
oef
oefm
oefn
eG
eGm
eGn
meG
meGm
meGn
neG
neGm
neGn
oeG
oeGm
oeGn
eg
egm
egn
meg
megm
megn
neg
negm
negn
oeg
oegm
oegn
eH
eHm
eHn
meH
meHm
meHn
neH
neHm
neHn
oeH
oeHm
oeHn
eh
ehm
ehn
meh
mehm
mehn
neh
nehm
nehn
oeh
oehm
oehn
FE
FEm
FEn
mFE
mFEm
mFEn
nFE
nFEm
nFEn
oFE
oFEm
oFEn
Fe
Fem
Fen
mFe
mFem
mFen
nFe
nFem
nFen
oFe
oFem
oFen
FG
FGm
FGn
mFG
mFGm
mFGn
nFG
nFGm
nFGn
oFG
oFGm
oFGn
Fg
Fgm
Fgn
mFg
mFgm
mFgn
nFg
nFgm
nFgn
oFg
oFgm
oFgn
FH
FHm
FHn
mFH
mFHm
mFHn
nFH
nFHm
nFHn
oFH
oFHm
oFHn
Fh
Fhm
Fhn
mFh
mFhm
mFhn
nFh
nFhm
nFhn
oFh
oFhm
oFhn
fE
fEm
fEn
mfE
mfEm
mfEn
nfE
nfEm
nfEn
ofE
ofEm
ofEn
fe
fem
fen
mfe
mfem
mfen
nfe
nfem
nfen
ofe
ofem
ofen
fG
fGm
fGn
mfG
mfGm
mfGn
nfG
nfGm
nfGn
ofG
ofGm
ofGn
fg
fgm
fgn
mfg
mfgm
mfgn
nfg
nfgm
nfgn
ofg
ofgm
ofgn
fH
fHm
fHn
mfH
mfHm
mfHn
nfH
nfHm
nfHn
ofH
ofHm
ofHn
fh
fhm
fhn
mfh
mfhm
mfhn
nfh
nfhm
nfhn
ofh
ofhm
ofhn
GE
GEm
GEn
mGE
mGEm
mGEn
nGE
nGEm
nGEn
oGE
oGEm
oGEn
Ge
Gem
Gen
mGe
mGem
mGen
nGe
nGem
nGen
oGe
oGem
oGen
GF
GFm
GFn
mGF
mGFm
mGFn
nGF
nGFm
nGFn
oGF
oGFm
oGFn
Gf
Gfm
Gfn
mGf
mGfm
mGfn
nGf
nGfm
nGfn
oGf
oGfm
oGfn
GH
GHm
GHn
mGH
mGHm
mGHn
nGH
nGHm
nGHn
oGH
oGHm
oGHn
Gh
Ghm
Ghn
mGh
mGhm
mGhn
nGh
nGhm
nGhn
oGh
oGhm
oGhn
gE
gEm
gEn
mgE
mgEm
mgEn
ngE
ngEm
ngEn
ogE
ogEm
ogEn
ge
gem
gen
mge
mgem
mgen
nge
ngem
ngen
oge
ogem
ogen
gF
gFm
gFn
mgF
mgFm
mgFn
ngF
ngFm
ngFn
ogF
ogFm
ogFn
gf
gfm
gfn
mgf
mgfm
mgfn
ngf
ngfm
ngfn
ogf
ogfm
ogfn
gH
gHm
gHn
mgH
mgHm
mgHn
ngH
ngHm
ngHn
ogH
ogHm
ogHn
gh
ghm
ghn
mgh
mghm
mghn
ngh
nghm
nghn
ogh
oghm
oghn
HE
HEm
HEn
mHE
mHEm
mHEn
nHE
nHEm
nHEn
oHE
oHEm
oHEn
He
Hem
Hen
mHe
mHem
mHen
nHe
nHem
nHen
oHe
oHem
oHen
HF
HFm
HFn
mHF
mHFm
mHFn
nHF
nHFm
nHFn
oHF
oHFm
oHFn
Hf
Hfm
Hfn
mHf
mHfm
mHfn
nHf
nHfm
nHfn
oHf
oHfm
oHfn
HG
HGm
HGn
mHG
mHGm
mHGn
nHG
nHGm
nHGn
oHG
oHGm
oHGn
Hg
Hgm
Hgn
mHg
mHgm
mHgn
nHg
nHgm
nHgn
oHg
oHgm
oHgn
hE
hEm
hEn
mhE
mhEm
mhEn
nhE
nhEm
nhEn
ohE
ohEm
ohEn
he
hem
hen
mhe
mhem
mhen
nhe
nhem
nhen
ohe
ohem
ohen
hF
hFm
hFn
mhF
mhFm
mhFn
nhF
nhFm
nhFn
ohF
ohFm
ohFn
hf
hfm
hfn
mhf
mhfm
mhfn
nhf
nhfm
nhfn
ohf
ohfm
ohfn
hG
hGm
hGn
mhG
mhGm
mhGn
nhG
nhGm
nhGn
ohG
ohGm
ohGn
hg
hgm
hgn
mhg
mhgm
mhgn
nhg
nhgm
nhgn
ohg
ohgm
ohgn
IJ
IJm
IJn
mIJ
mIJm
mIJn
nIJ
nIJm
nIJn
oIJ
oIJm
oIJn
Ij
Ijm
Ijn
mIj
mIjm
mIjn
nIj
nIjm
nIjn
oIj
oIjm
oIjn
IK
IKm
IKn
mIK
mIKm
mIKn
nIK
nIKm
nIKn
oIK
oIKm
oIKn
Ik
Ikm
Ikn
mIk
mIkm
mIkn
nIk
nIkm
nIkn
oIk
oIkm
oIkn
IL
ILm
ILn
mIL
mILm
mILn
nIL
nILm
nILn
oIL
oILm
oILn
Il
Ilm
Iln
mIl
mIlm
mIln
nIl
nIlm
nIln
oIl
oIlm
oIln
iJ
iJm
iJn
miJ
miJm
miJn
niJ
niJm
niJn
oiJ
oiJm
oiJn
ij
ijm
ijn
mij
mijm
mijn
nij
nijm
nijn
oij
oijm
oijn
iK
iKm
iKn
miK
miKm
miKn
niK
niKm
niKn
oiK
oiKm
oiKn
ik
ikm
ikn
mik
mikm
mikn
nik
nikm
nikn
oik
oikm
oikn
iL
iLm
iLn
miL
miLm
miLn
niL
niLm
niLn
oiL
oiLm
oiLn
il
ilm
iln
mil
milm
miln
nil
nilm
niln
oil
oilm
oiln
JI
JIm
JIn
mJI
mJIm
mJIn
nJI
nJIm
nJIn
oJI
oJIm
oJIn
Ji
Jim
Jin
mJi
mJim
mJin
nJi
nJim
nJin
oJi
oJim
oJin
JK
JKm
JKn
mJK
mJKm
mJKn
nJK
nJKm
nJKn
oJK
oJKm
oJKn
Jk
Jkm
Jkn
mJk
mJkm
mJkn
nJk
nJkm
nJkn
oJk
oJkm
oJkn
JL
JLm
JLn
mJL
mJLm
mJLn
nJL
nJLm
nJLn
oJL
oJLm
oJLn
Jl
Jlm
Jln
mJl
mJlm
mJln
nJl
nJlm
nJln
oJl
oJlm
oJln
jI
jIm
jIn
mjI
mjIm
mjIn
njI
njIm
njIn
ojI
ojIm
ojIn
ji
jim
jin
mji
mjim
mjin
nji
njim
njin
oji
ojim
ojin
jK
jKm
jKn
mjK
mjKm
mjKn
njK
njKm
njKn
ojK
ojKm
ojKn
jk
jkm
jkn
mjk
mjkm
mjkn
njk
njkm
njkn
ojk
ojkm
ojkn
jL
jLm
jLn
mjL
mjLm
mjLn
njL
njLm
njLn
ojL
ojLm
ojLn
jl
jlm
jln
mjl
mjlm
mjln
njl
njlm
njln
ojl
ojlm
ojln
KI
KIm
KIn
mKI
mKIm
mKIn
nKI
nKIm
nKIn
oKI
oKIm
oKIn
Ki
Kim
Kin
mKi
mKim
mKin
nKi
nKim
nKin
oKi
oKim
oKin
KJ
KJm
KJn
mKJ
mKJm
mKJn
nKJ
nKJm
nKJn
oKJ
oKJm
oKJn
Kj
Kjm
Kjn
mKj
mKjm
mKjn
nKj
nKjm
nKjn
oKj
oKjm
oKjn
KL
KLm
KLn
mKL
mKLm
mKLn
nKL
nKLm
nKLn
oKL
oKLm
oKLn
Kl
Klm
Kln
mKl
mKlm
mKln
nKl
nKlm
nKln
oKl
oKlm
oKln
kI
kIm
kIn
mkI
mkIm
mkIn
nkI
nkIm
nkIn
okI
okIm
okIn
ki
kim
kin
mki
mkim
mkin
nki
nkim
nkin
oki
okim
okin
kJ
kJm
kJn
mkJ
mkJm
mkJn
nkJ
nkJm
nkJn
okJ
okJm
okJn
kj
kjm
kjn
mkj
mkjm
mkjn
nkj
nkjm
nkjn
okj
okjm
okjn
kL
kLm
kLn
mkL
mkLm
mkLn
nkL
nkLm
nkLn
okL
okLm
okLn
kl
klm
kln
mkl
mklm
mkln
nkl
nklm
nkln
okl
oklm
okln
LI
LIm
LIn
mLI
mLIm
mLIn
nLI
nLIm
nLIn
oLI
oLIm
oLIn
Li
Lim
Lin
mLi
mLim
mLin
nLi
nLim
nLin
oLi
oLim
oLin
LJ
LJm
LJn
mLJ
mLJm
mLJn
nLJ
nLJm
nLJn
oLJ
oLJm
oLJn
Lj
Ljm
Ljn
mLj
mLjm
mLjn
nLj
nLjm
nLjn
oLj
oLjm
oLjn
LK
LKm
LKn
mLK
mLKm
mLKn
nLK
nLKm
nLKn
oLK
oLKm
oLKn
Lk
Lkm
Lkn
mLk
mLkm
mLkn
nLk
nLkm
nLkn
oLk
oLkm
oLkn
lI
lIm
lIn
mlI
mlIm
mlIn
nlI
nlIm
nlIn
olI
olIm
olIn
li
lim
lin
mli
mlim
mlin
nli
nlim
nlin
oli
olim
olin
lJ
lJm
lJn
mlJ
mlJm
mlJn
nlJ
nlJm
nlJn
olJ
olJm
olJn
lj
ljm
ljn
mlj
mljm
mljn
nlj
nljm
nljn
olj
oljm
oljn
lK
lKm
lKn
mlK
mlKm
mlKn
nlK
nlKm
nlKn
olK
olKm
olKn
lk
lkm
lkn
mlk
mlkm
mlkn
nlk
nlkm
nlkn
olk
olkm
olkn
Some new terminology to discribe contours in a way that will hopefully make it easier to imagine what the language would sound like:
A contour that goes from low tone to high tone is "rising"
A contour that goes from high tone to low tone is "falling"
A contour that stays at a low tone is is "low"
A contour that stays at a high tone is "high"

So far it's just like normal phonetics, but volume is also a phonetic feature.

A contour that goes from quiet volume to loud volume is "strengthening"
A contour that goes from loud volume to quiet volume is "weakening"
I'll probably replace "loud" and "quiet" with "strong" and "weak" respectively, so that people don't think "loud" means you're screaming it (or howling it I guess.)

Now I have to account for the relative length of each part of the contour.

Let's say if a contour contains two short vowels it's just "short", and "long" if it contains two long vowels.
If the first vowel is long and the second vowel is short, that means the change occurs later in the syllable, so let's call that "late"
If the first vowel is short and the second long, let's call that "early"

So let's use this new descriptive system to describe some contours.

BA: a long, low, weakening whine.
Lk: a late, high, weakening grunt.
eH: early, rising, strengthening growl.
bd: short, rising, strong whine.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Here's a table of all the plain syllable nuclei (monophthongs) and contours (diphthongs) in Commonthroat along with their phonetic features.

"short" contours are a little longer than "long" plain nuclei.

short, long, low, high, falling, and rising are all standard phonetics terms. As for the nonstandard terms:

weak: pronounced with a lower volume.
strong: pronounced with a higher volume.

early: the first part of the contour is short and the second is long, so the shift from the first vowel to second happens earlier in the syllable
late: the first part of the contour is long and the second is short, so the shift from the first vowel to the second happens later in the syllable

strengthening: The contour shifts from weak (lower volume) to strong (higher volume).
weakening: The contour shifts from strong (higher volume) to weak (lower volume).

It's possible for a syllable to hold one feature (tone or volume) steady while shifting the other, or shift both at once, and both features operate independently of the other.

As for phonation (whine, growl, and grunt), I think people have a pretty good idea what whining and growling sound like. Grunting is a little rarer in dogs, but if you've ever owned a golden retriever you may have heard it make a grunting noise when excited, especially if it's holding something in its mouth. That's close to the sound I'm thinking of.

A	long	low	weak	whine
a	short	low	weak	whine
B	long	low	strong	whine
b	short	low	strong	whine
C	long	high	weak	whine
c	short	high	weak	whine
D	long	high	strong	whine
d	short	high	strong	whine
E	long	low	weak	growl
e	short	low	weak	growl
F	long	low	strong	growl
f	short	low	strong	growl
G	long	high	weak	growl
g	short	high	weak	growl
H	long	high	strong	growl
h	short	high	strong	growl
I	long	low	weak	grunt
i	short	low	weak	grunt
J	long	low	strong	grunt
j	short	low	strong	grunt
K	long	high	weak	grunt
k	short	high	weak	grunt
L	long	high	strong	grunt
l	short	high	strong	grunt
AB	long	low	strengthening	whine
Ab	late	low	strengthening	whine
AC	long	rising	weak	whine
Ac	late	rising	weak	whine
AD	long	rising	strengthening	whine
Ad	late	rising	strengthening	whine
aB	early	low	strengthening	whine
ab	short	low	strengthening	whine
aC	early	rising	weak	whine
ac	short	rising	weak	whine
aD	early	rising	strengthening	whine
ad	short	rising	strengthening	whine
BA	long	low	weakening	whine
Ba	late	low	weakening	whine
BC	long	rising	weakening	whine
Bc	late	rising	weakening	whine
BD	long	rising	strong	whine
Bd	late	rising	strong	whine
bA	early	low	weakening	whine
ba	short	low	weakening	whine
bC	early	rising	weakening	whine
bc	short	rising	weakening	whine
bD	early	rising	strong	whine
bd	short	rising	strong	whine
CA	long	falling	weak	whine
Ca	late	falling	weak	whine
CB	long	falling	strengthening	whine
Cb	late	falling	strengthening	whine
CD	long	high	strengthening	whine
Cd	late	high	strengthening	whine
cA	early	falling	weak	whine
ca	short	falling	weak	whine
cB	early	falling	strengthening	whine
cb	short	falling	strengthening	whine
cD	early	high	strengthening	whine
cd	short	high	strengthening	whine
DA	long	falling	weakening	whine
Da	late	falling	weakening	whine
DB	long	falling	strong	whine
Db	late	falling	strong	whine
DC	long	high	weakening	whine
Dc	late	high	weakening	whine
dA	early	falling	weakening	whine
da	short	falling	weakening	whine
dB	early	falling	strong	whine
db	short	falling	strong	whine
dC	early	high	weakening	whine
dc	short	high	weakening	whine
EF	long	low	strengthening	growl
Ef	late	low	strengthening	growl
EG	long	rising	weak	growl
Eg	late	rising	weak	growl
EH	long	rising	strengthening	growl
Eh	late	rising	strengthening	growl
eF	early	low	strengthening	growl
ef	short	low	strengthening	growl
eG	early	rising	weak	growl
eg	short	rising	weak	growl
eH	early	rising	strengthening	growl
eh	short	rising	strengthening	growl
FE	long	low	weakening	growl
Fe	late	low	weakening	growl
FG	long	rising	weakening	growl
Fg	late	rising	weakening	growl
FH	long	rising	strong	growl
Fh	late	rising	strong	growl
fE	early	low	weakening	growl
fe	short	low	weakening	growl
fG	early	rising	weakening	growl
fg	short	rising	weakening	growl
fH	early	rising	strong	growl
fh	short	rising	strong	growl
GE	long	falling	weak	growl
Ge	late	falling	weak	growl
GF	long	falling	strengthening	growl
Gf	late	falling	strengthening	growl
GH	long	high	strengthening	growl
Gh	late	high	strengthening	growl
gE	early	falling	weak	growl
ge	short	falling	weak	growl
gF	early	falling	strengthening	growl
gf	short	falling	strengthening	growl
gH	early	high	strengthening	growl
gh	short	high	strengthening	growl
HE	long	falling	weakening	growl
He	late	falling	weakening	growl
HF	long	falling	strong	growl
Hf	late	falling	strong	growl
HG	long	high	weakening	growl
Hg	late	high	weakening	growl
hE	early	falling	weakening	growl
he	short	falling	weakening	growl
hF	early	falling	strong	growl
hf	short	falling	strong	growl
hG	early	high	weakening	growl
hg	short	high	weakening	growl
IJ	long	low	strengthening	grunt
Ij	late	low	strengthening	grunt
IK	long	rising	weak	grunt
Ik	late	rising	weak	grunt
IL	long	rising	strengthening	grunt
Il	late	rising	strengthening	grunt
iJ	early	low	strengthening	grunt
ij	short	low	strengthening	grunt
iK	early	rising	weak	grunt
ik	short	rising	weak	grunt
iL	early	rising	strengthening	grunt
il	short	rising	strengthening	grunt
JI	long	low	weakening	grunt
Ji	late	low	weakening	grunt
JK	long	rising	weakening	grunt
Jk	late	rising	weakening	grunt
JL	long	rising	strong	grunt
Jl	late	rising	strong	grunt
jI	early	low	weakening	grunt
ji	short	low	weakening	grunt
jK	early	rising	weakening	grunt
jk	short	rising	weakening	grunt
jL	early	rising	strong	grunt
jl	short	rising	strong	grunt
KI	long	falling	weak	grunt
Ki	late	falling	weak	grunt
KJ	long	falling	strengthening	grunt
Kj	late	falling	strengthening	grunt
KL	long	high	strengthening	grunt
Kl	late	high	strengthening	grunt
kI	early	falling	weak	grunt
ki	short	falling	weak	grunt
kJ	early	falling	strengthening	grunt
kj	short	falling	strengthening	grunt
kL	early	high	strengthening	grunt
kl	short	high	strengthening	grunt
LI	long	falling	weakening	grunt
Li	late	falling	weakening	grunt
LJ	long	falling	strong	grunt
Lj	late	falling	strong	grunt
LK	long	high	weakening	grunt
Lk	late	high	weakening	grunt
lI	early	falling	weakening	grunt
li	short	falling	weakening	grunt
lJ	early	falling	strong	grunt
lj	short	falling	strong	grunt
lK	early	high	weakening	grunt
lk	short	high	weakening	grunt

⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

By the palms that nursed me!
k     f    hgm-l          DA      oFEm-lim-0                          oDoD-J-oh-i
with  PL   palm-3.DIST    that    milk-transitive_verb_suffix-AUTH    friend-hard-MALE_NAME-1
Here's another gloss. This is a mild oath usually uttered in surprise. Yinrih females sweat milk from the palms of their forepaws. <oDoDJohi> is a personal name meaning "steadfast friend". Since Commonthroat doesn't have personal pronouns, the speaker uses their name with a first-person suffix.

<J> can mean "hard" as in not soft, sturdy, steadfast, or dependable.

<DA> is a complimentizer similar to "that" or "which". I might try to use this in lieu of participles.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Here's all the vocabulary I have so far plus another gloss:
Spoiler:

root	meaning	part of speech
_a	nonauthoritative verb suffix	
_AC	interrogative noun suffix	
_b	suffix on nouns turning them into adjectives	
_e	3rd person indefinate noun suffix	
_i	1st person noun suffix	
_j	agentive verbal suffix	
_Jn	3rd person proximal noun suffix	
_l	3rd person distal noun suffix	
_lin	suffix creating transitive verbs from nouns	
_mk	2nd person noun suffux	
_oc	suffix forming female names	
_odod	mirative verb suffix	
_oh	suffix on male names	
A	from	preposition
a	of (alienable posession)	preposition
ab	on, upon	preposition
AB	all	adjective
ABm	shine upon, illuminate (transitive)	verb
aC	squeeze	verb
Ac	wet	adjective
bam	blood	noun
bC	breathe	verb
BC	over, above	preposition
bcm	ask	verb
BCm	hold	verb
CB	under, below	preposition
cbn	dam	noun
Cbn	scratch	verb
cm	forest	noun
DA	complimentizer (that)	particle
nDA	fly	verb
dBm	find	verb
DC	sand	noun
Dnh	back (anatomy)	noun
E	imperative modal	particle
e	of (inalenable posession)	preposition
ef	why?	interrogative
eGm	swim	verb
emG	finally (final?)	adjective
En	fog	noun
f	plural particle	particle
fem	because	conjunction
FGm	tree	noun
FHoFH	book	noun
g	and (conjunction, enclitic?)	conjunction
gfm	sea	noun
Gfn	belly	noun
gh	little	adjective
GHm	push	verb
ghmgh	little one	noun
gn	big	adjective
hfmhf	male (guy, dude, chap, bloke etc)	noun
hgm	palm, sole	noun
HGm	three	numeral
Hm	egg	noun
I	modal (wish/hope/desire)	particle
Ij	flat	adjective
IKn	few	adjective
iLn	climb	verb
J	sturdy, steadfast, hard	adjective
JIm	tooth	noun
JKm	day	noun
JKn	pelage/coat	noun
Jmc	rainbow	noun
jmJ	male (more formal, used in biology, medicine etc.)	noun
k	with (preposition indicating means or instrument)	preposition
ki	to be at, located (verb similar to mandarin "zài")	verb
KIn	lick	verb
kjm	lactation patches	noun
Kl	front, forward (adj)	adjective
KLm	dirty	adjective
km	with (alongside)	preposition
L	in	preposition
l	perch (straddle branch on the belly)	verb
lI	cloud	noun
Lim	dig	verb
LJm	muzzle	noun
lk	digit	noun
LK	squat, sit like a dog	verb
Lm	burn	verb
maB	correct	adjective
mab	false, pseudo-	adjective
mABn	meat	noun
mAc	river	noun
mad	if	conjunction
mAd	two	numeral
mAm	exhale through the nose	verb
mba	narrow	adjective
mbA	rear up	verb
mbC	fruit	noun
mbCn	give	verb
mBDm	female	noun
mBm	see	verb
mBn	mouth	noun
mcAm	lap (drink using the tongue)	verb
mCb	and	conjunction
mCB	mountain	noun
mCBm	sleep (torpor)	verb
mdAm	red	adjective
mDcm	ear	noun
mdcn	stand	verb
mdn	at	preposition
mDn	fire	noun
me	wide	adjective
mEF	die	verb
meFn	rain	noun
meg	fight	verb
meGn	many	adjective
meHm	conspecific	noun
mEHm	night	noun
mEm	to warm (transitive)	verb
mEn	play	verb
mfe	full	adjective
mfm	sire	noun
mFn	laugh	verb
mgFn	left	adjective
mGHm	bad	adjective
mghm	dust	noun
mghn	pull	verb
mhe	smoke	noun
mHen	heart (analogous organ)	noun
mhEn	white	adjective
mHm	split	verb
mI	my/our (1st person possessive determiner)	determiner
mik	manner, way	noun
nik	pant	verb
mikn	thick	adjective
mILm	hear	verb
mJIm	five	numeral
mjIn	neck	noun
mJKn	sun	noun
mJL	wash	verb
mJln	earth	noun
mJmj	human	noun
mJmkm	strong, usually plsasent odor evoking positive memories	noun
mJmkmb	plesent-smelling	adjective
mK	your	determiner
mKIn	lake	noun
mKjm	stick	noun
mKL	ice	noun
mklm	count	verb
mlm	put, place	verb
nA	ink	noun
naBm	cold	adjective
nAdm	hit	verb
nadm	old	adjective
nADn	four	numeral
nAm	turn	verb
nBd	dry	adjective
nBDm	eat	verb
nCA	say	verb
ncAm	write	verb
ncD	an electric shock	noun
nCDn	near	adjective
nCm	female religious superior	noun
ncn	one	numeral
nd	joint	noun
nD	name	noun
nDan	bone	noun
ndAn	fear	verb
ndan	walk	verb
ndb	guts/viscera	noun
nDbm	straight	adjective
nDC	claw, nail	noun
nDCm	tie	verb
nE	rope	noun
neG	stab	verb
nEHm	come	verb
nEm	bring (ditransitive)	verb
nen	bark (tree)	noun
nFe	male	noun
nfEn	rotten	adjective
nFmL	missionary	noun
nGf	throat, language	noun
ngFn	sing	verb
nHem	other	adjective
nhf	right	adjective
nhF	rub	verb
nhm	sharp	adjective
nIjm	animal	noun
nikm	cut	verb
nILm	light	noun
njH	hearth	noun
nji	bite	verb
nJI	think	verb
njk	long	adjective
nk	know	verb
nkI	not	adverb
nKin	good	adjective
nkL	live	verb
nkm	paw	noun
nlIm	wind	noun
nlJ	small	adjective
nLKm	lie on the back	verb
oab	flesh, meat	noun
oAB	table, counter	noun
oadn	far	adjective
oanL	custodian, guardian	noun
ob	liver (analogous organ)	noun
obAm	water	noun
oBD	new	adjective
oBdn	smell	verb
obdn	smooth	adjective
obn	star	noun
oBoB	joyful	adjective
ocam	fat	noun
oCan	yellow	adjective
oCb	heavy	adjective
ocD	rodent analog	noun
ocDn	some	adjective
ocm	throw	verb
oD	to love	verb
oDa	vomit	verb
odb	child	noun
odBodB	ear	noun
oDm	news, tidings	noun
oDoD	friend	noun
oE	to (direction)	preposition
oEf	freeze	verb
oEF	nest	noun
oeF	thin	adjective
oeFm	grass	noun
oEfm	swell	verb
oEh	eye	noun
oEHm	road	noun
oEhm	wipe	verb
oEn	hunt	verb
oen	Planetary ring	noun
of	flow	verb
oFEm	milk	noun
oFGn	ashes	noun
ofhm	year	noun
oFHn	root	noun
oFm	dull (not sharp)	adjective
ogem	head	noun
ogF	sky	noun
oGfm	sew	verb
oGhn	lie down on the belly on the ground	verb
oGm	short	adjective
oHEm	stone	noun
oHf	tongue	noun
oHFm	seed	noun
oikn	green	adjective
oiLm	tail	noun
oIm	salutations (used in letters)	interjection
ojkn	leaf	noun
oJLm	black	adjective
ojln	fall	verb
oK	broad, wide	adjective
ok	skin	noun
oKIn	leg	noun
oKJm	kill	verb
oLI	salt	noun
oLi	float	verb
oLim	rhinarium	noun
olIn	round	adjective
oLkm	snow	verb
oLKm	warm	adjective
i 	or (enclitic?)	conjunction

either four legs or two legs
i f oKIne nADn i f oKIne mAd

i  f  oKIn-e    nADn  i  f  oKIn-e    mAd
or PL leg-3.IND four  or PL leg-3.IND two

Something that applies to both humans and yinrih. 
The construction <i ... i...> literally means "or...or..." but translates to "either...or...", analogous to Latin and the Romance languages aut canis aut felis (either a dog or a cat).
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

This looks interesting!
I'm often skeptical with these alien projects but I'll read this through.

It makes me want to revive my Treecat language.
I should think about cat sounds.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Omzinesý wrote: 06 Nov 2023 17:27 This looks interesting!
I'm often skeptical with these alien projects but I'll read this through.
[+1]
It makes me want to revive my Treecat language.
I should think about cat sounds.
Talk to LinguistCat, maybe, for some additional ideas?
Last edited by eldin raigmore on 09 Nov 2023 10:43, edited 1 time in total.
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

A braille system for Commonthroat.

The in-universe explanation for this is that one of the yinrih missionaries is lodging with a blind human, and the human has developed this braille system so he can write Commonthroat using the tools at his disposal. The yinrih might have trouble reading braille because their paws are by necessity a compromise between the needs of weight-baring and grasping. They have pads on their digits and palms. On the other hand, they already make greater use of tactile information than humans because they use their hind feet and tail nearly as much as their front feet to manipulate objects, so they need a way to instantly identify what they're grasping by touch alone.

The IRL explanation is that I'm also blind and want a braille system for the language, and I can't come up with a print alphabet that I like right now.

Commonthroat braille is partially inspired by Japanese braille, which is the world's only reverse abugida. (The vowels are the letters and the onset consonants are marked as diacritics).

Braille, regardless of language, uses a matrix of six dots 2 dots wide by 3 dots high. Each group of six dots is called a cell. Any of the six dots can be raised or lowered, yielding a total of 2^6 = 64 unique patterns per cell (counting the cell with no dots raised). Each dot in the cell is assigned a number in the following manner:

1 o o 4
2 o o 5
3 o o 6

Dots one, two, and three occupy the left column in ascending order, and dots four, five, and six occupy the right column. To refer to a particular combination of braille dots, you say the numbers corresponding to the dots that are raised. "Dots 1-2", or "dots 3-4-6", for example. Sometimes the dashes are omitted and the numbers are presented as a single unit (dots 12 dots 346), but the pronunciation is the same.

In Commonthroat braille dots 1, 2, and 4 indicate the phonation type (whine, growl, or grunt), and dots 3, 5, and 6 indicate the other features. dot 3 indicates length. Lowered is short and raised is long. Dot 5 indicates tone. Lowered is low and raised is high. Dot 6 indicates strength. Lowered is weak and raised is strong.

The phonations are indicated as follows:
dots 1-4: whine
dots 1-2-4: growl
dots 2-4: grunt

phonation o o phonation
phonation o o tone
length o o strength

Thus simple commonthroat vowels are rendered as follows:

Whines
⠉ a short low weak
⠍ A long low weak
⠩ b short low strong
⠭ B long low strong
⠙ c short high weak
⠝ C long high weak
⠹ d short high strong
⠽ D long high strong

Growls
⠋ e short low weak
⠏ E long low weak
⠫ f short low strong
⠯ F long low strong
⠛ g short high weak
⠟ G long high weak
⠻ h short high strong
⠿ H long high strong

Grunts
⠊ i short low weak
⠎ I long low weak
⠪ j short low strong
⠮ J long low strong
⠚ k short high weak
⠞ K long high weak
⠺ l short high strong
⠾ L long high strong

The consonants don't follow a pattern.

⠌ m huff
⠜ n chuff
⠬ o yip

So the last gloss I posted would be written as follows in braille:

⠊⠀⠫⠀⠬⠞⠎⠜⠋⠀⠜⠍⠽⠜⠀⠊⠀⠫⠀⠬⠞⠎⠜⠋⠀⠌⠍⠹
i f oKIne nADn i f oKIne mAd
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

I've cleaned up the phonology and phonetactics section of the OP to hopefully make it clearer. Next I'll work on polishing the grammar.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

If you want to say "I am an X" or "that is an X" (I think there's a word for this construction but I can't remember), you can just say X with the appropriate deictic suffix.

"I'm a kid"
odb-i
child-1

"That's a human."
mJmj-l
human-3.DIST

"Who is it?"
meHm-AC
conspecific-INTEROGATIVE
(literally "What person")
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

An attempt at a print alphabet

Post by lurker »

One cheap drawing tablet and open source vector graphics program later and I now have a tentative aesthetic for the print alphabet. Just like with the glosses, I like to come up with the writing system by the seat of my pants. It gives me a quicker idea how the script will look overall compared to making isolated glyphs one by one.

The script is read from right to left, as most yinrih use their left writing claw to write with. I'll have to redo this with a brush shaped more like the tip of their writing claw. I don't think it would look quite like a calligraphy pen. Yinrih ink is also blue-black instead of red, but this was what I had set at the time.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

nkI km f mkime iKnjAC nkL?
nkI km   f  mkim-e      iKn-j-AC                 nkL
not with PL sick-3.IND  heal-AGENT-INTEROGATIVE  live
What healer does not abide among the sick?
Interrogative nouns can be used rhetorically. I may have to rethink adverb placement. I feel like, at least in English, the placement of the adverb changes the emphasis of the phrase. "Lives not among the sick" sounds different than "does not live among the sick".

Additionally, I'm using a plural indefinite noun phrase to denote a general category "those who are sick". This is also a tentative grammatical detail I'm not sure of.

Lore-wise, this is a saying directed at missionaries about not preaching to the choir. It has a few variations, including a cleft phrase. "She is no healer who does not abide among the sick." I'll have to figure out how cleft constructions work in order to translate it. (Healers are expected to be female for the same reason clerics are female. During the early days of yinrih society women filled the role of shaman while men filled the role of warrior.)
Last edited by lurker on 16 Nov 2023 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

lurker wrote: 16 Nov 2023 13:53
During the early days of yinrih society women filled the roll of shaman while men filled the roll of warrior.)
<role> not <roll>
That’s a nit; this whole thing is pretty good!
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

eldin raigmore wrote: 16 Nov 2023 17:37
lurker wrote: 16 Nov 2023 13:53
During the early days of yinrih society women filled the roll of shaman while men filled the roll of warrior.)
<role> not <roll>
That’s a nit; this whole thing is pretty good!
Fixed lol. Why didn't English switch to Deseret or Shavian or some other phonetic alphabet.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚