Step-cousin and step-step-cousin

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Step-cousin and step-step-cousin

Post by eldin raigmore »

I looked up “step-cousin”, and it appears that at least some amateur genealogists have agreed that
A step-cousin is any one of the following :
A step-parent’s sibling’s child, or
A parent’s step-sibling’s child, or
A parent’s sibling’s step-child.

That seems to be the consensus.

There’s less agreement about the term “step-step-cousin”, either because it’s not used as much, or because it is newer,
or for both those reasons.
I have a suggested definition:
A step-step-cousin is any one of the following:
A step-parent’s step-sibling’s child, or
A step-parent’s sibling’s step-child, or
A parent’s step-sibling’s step-child.

Yay or nay?

If you would amend my suggested definition, what would you amend it to?
Imralu
roman
roman

Re: Step-cousin and step-step-cousin

Post by Imralu »

Yes. And don't forget a step-step-step-cousin, a step-parent's step-sibling's step-child. With three steps being taken, we may as well just say "walking-cousin".

I'm weird with kinship terms. On the one hand, I don't really like the topic of family very much, so all my conlangs have very simple kinship systems because I just can't be bothered coming up with four terms for aunt and remembering them all. Aunts are just some variety of mother. Uncles are just fathers.

On the other hand, I found it really weird that I was supposed to call my aunt's husband my "uncle". To me, he was my uncle-in-law. Then he became my ex uncle-in-law. Then because of an insane revelation in my family where it turned out my mother's mother was not the woman who raised her but actually her sister, we had to revise who everyone is a bit. My mother doesn't have any full siblings, but because the ones we thought were her siblings share a father and not a mother, they'd be half siblings ... EXCEPT that their mothers are sisters, so genetically it's more like three-quarter siblings. So that guy I was supposed to call my uncle, that guy who, when left alone with me in the house when I was nine, invited me into his room to watch him play computer games and then tickle tortured me so much that I threw myself down the stairs to get away from him and then just laughed at me from the top of the stairs ... he's now my ex-three-quarter-uncle-in-law and I won't except any other kinship term for him.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I forgot to mention that I have a kind of "step-cousin" in the broad sense, a very nice person. It's actually my mother's father's brother's daughter's husband's child. So, I guess a second step-cousin, (but I don't actually know who did the first step [:D] badum-tss. )
Thinking of it again now, I might have some kind of step-step cousin. My mother's husband's brother's wife's child. Does that count as step-step-cousin under your definition? I guess so.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Imralu wrote: 29 Nov 2023 04:37 On the other hand, I found it really weird that I was supposed to call my aunt's husband my "uncle". To me, he was my uncle-in-law. Then he became my ex uncle-in-law. Then because of an insane revelation in my family where it turned out my mother's mother was not the woman who raised her but actually her sister, we had to revise who everyone is a bit. My mother doesn't have any full siblings, but because the ones we thought were her siblings share a father and not a mother, they'd be half siblings ... EXCEPT that their mothers are sisters, so genetically it's more like three-quarter siblings. So that guy I was supposed to call my uncle, that guy who, when left alone with me in the house when I was nine, invited me into his room to watch him play computer games and then tickle tortured me so much that I threw myself down the stairs to get away from him and then just laughed at me from the top of the stairs ... he's now my ex-three-quarter-uncle-in-law and I won't except any other kinship term for him.
Yeah, I think that's weird too. As one of my "lexical tics", most of my conlangs distinguish a parent's sibling from a parent's spouse's sibling. Just looking at my most developed conlang, Kankonian, an aunt or uncle my blood is ladan, while an aunt or uncle by marriage is mesim. (No gender distinction, though!) Similarly, a niece or nephew by blood is elfom, while a niece or nephew by marriage is herang.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!