We're pregnant!

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

We're pregnant!

Post by Micamo »

How do you all feel about this construction?

For me, "I'm pregnant" means "There's a fetus growing inside me."
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
rickardspaghetti
roman
roman

Re: We're pregnant!

Post by rickardspaghetti »

I'd rather say "we're having a baby". "We're pregnant" sounds weird as only the woman can be pregnant, unless they're two women(friends or partners?) who are both pregnant at the same time.
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
Spoiler:
Ǧ Š Ȟ Ž Č

ǧ š ŋ ȟ ž č
:swe: [:D] :vgtl: [:D] :eng: [:)] :ita: [:|] :lkt: [:'(]
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

rickardspaghetti wrote:I'd rather say "we're having a baby". "We're pregnant" sounds weird as only the woman can be pregnant, unless they're two women(friends or partners?) who are both pregnant at the same time.
This pretty much sums it up.
Systemzwang
greek
greek

Post by Systemzwang »

rickardspaghetti wrote:I'd rather say "we're having a baby". "We're pregnant" sounds weird as only the woman can be pregnant, unless they're two women(friends or partners?) who are both pregnant at the same time.
And no situation where two pregnant, romantically not reciprocally involved women may have to point to the fact that they're pregnant can ever come about? "We're having a baby" is not even grammatical in such a situation, and "we're having babies" appears weird for me in that context.
rickardspaghetti
roman
roman

Systemzwang wrote:
And no situation where two pregnant, romantically not reciprocally involved women may have to point to the fact that they're pregnant can ever come about?
It can't?
"We're having a baby" is not even grammatical in such a situation, and "we're having babies" appears weird for me in that context.
OK. How would you have said it?
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
Spoiler:
Ǧ Š Ȟ Ž Č

ǧ š ŋ ȟ ž č
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

It's ungrammatical in this situation :-s?
Seems weird to me.
rickardspaghetti
roman
roman

Perhaps he means the usage of the progressive aspect for future tense?
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
Spoiler:
Ǧ Š Ȟ Ž Č

ǧ š ŋ ȟ ž č
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

Maybe, I don't know. It just seemed weird since I think I've heard that exact sentence in quite a lot of TV shows and movies :-s.

EDIT

Or maybe that's "We're going to have a baby".
Still.
rickardspaghetti
roman
roman

That's progressive aspect and future tense. Not progressive aspect used for future tense.
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
Spoiler:
Ǧ Š Ȟ Ž Č

ǧ š ŋ ȟ ž č
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

Yeah.

I still don't get the problem with the sentence you wrote :-s.
It seems perfectly natural to me.
cybrxkhan
roman
roman

Post by cybrxkhan »

"We're having a baby" sounds most natural to me, regardless of grammatical specificness. Although I think I hear "We're having a child" more often.
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Micamo wrote:For me, "I'm pregnant" means "There's a fetus growing inside me."
Micamo wrote:How do you all feel about this construction?
It makes me wonder "Is any of it true of you?"
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

No Eldin, I'm not pregnant :]
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Micamo wrote:No Eldin, I'm not pregnant :]
I don't really know enough about you to say so, but I guess that at this stage of your life it's better that you aren't?
When you are and want to be, I'm sure we'll all be happy for you.

------------------------

How about "We're expecting!"?
Is that better than "We're pregnant!"?
Is it better than "We're having a baby!"?
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

It's definitely better than "We're pregnant", IMO. And maybe a little better than "We're having a baby".
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

I hate when couples say 'We're pregnant!'
Only one of you is pregnant you fools.

'We're expecting' sounds very artificial to me.
I guess I like 'we're having a baby' best. But I pretty much cringe anytime I hear this kind of news
Czwartek
sinic
sinic

Post by Czwartek »

I think 'we're pregnant' always carries a slightly ironic, self-referential undertone. Like slang, I don't think it's used with the intention of making logical sense or being grammatically correct.
Systemzwang
greek
greek

Post by Systemzwang »

rickardspaghetti wrote:
Systemzwang wrote:
And no situation where two pregnant, romantically not reciprocally involved women may have to point to the fact that they're pregnant can ever come about?
It can't?
... it pretty obviously can, which is the point I am making?!?!
"We're having a baby" is not even grammatical in such a situation, and "we're having babies" appears weird for me in that context.
OK. How would you have said it?

... if some women, all pregnant, for some reason need to point out that they're pregnant (e.g. let's say, some kind of emergency where it's clever to point out that, yeah, the two of us here, we're pregnant, so we can't really uh, do this-or-that to save our lives, is there an option? or whatever, doesn't take much imagination), them saying "Oh, we're all having a baby" is even less sensible. They're not having a baby. They're having a baby each, or some other thing like that. We're having babies doesn't sound right - and google-corpus linguistics don't really provide any first person having plural babies that aren't one woman expecting twins (altho' I did give up after like a dozen pages of hits on account of false positives). I'd have them say "we're pregnant" in that situation, and expect them to say somesuch, or 'but we're both knocked up' or whatever like that.
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

Systemzwang wrote: ... it pretty obviously can, which is the point I am making?!?!
Did you even read what Rickard wrote :-s? Look at it closely again:
I'd rather say "we're having a baby". "We're pregnant" sounds weird as only the woman can be pregnant, unless they're two women(friends or partners?) who are both pregnant at the same time.
Systemzwang
greek
greek

Post by Systemzwang »

Ceresz wrote:
Systemzwang wrote: ... it pretty obviously can, which is the point I am making?!?!
Did you even read what Rickard wrote :-s? Look at it closely again:
... did you look at the question he asked of me? What should I've answered? It's in complete agreement with that post, of course. The idea is to make it clear to him that I was being sarcastic previously. My original sarcasm was not aimed at him, and he had it figured out already by that point (unlike some others) ... when writing what I wrote there, I was trying to attract others' attention to that post - as it seems there's still people who think there's something agrammatical about plural subjects being pregnant on account of "only a woman can be pregnant".

some people don't even seem to've figured what he and I said out *by now even*, ...