Search found 5902 matches

by eldin raigmore
28 Sep 2021 01:38
Forum: Conworlds & Concultures
Topic: How to choose an architectural style?
Replies: 13
Views: 362

Re: How to choose an architectural style?

Dormouse559 wrote: 27 Sep 2021 18:23 There isn't a particular rule against manual signatures. That said, it might be a courtesy to use the automatic feature, because a user can arrange their settings to hide automatic signatures.
There is?! I didn’t know that! How?
by eldin raigmore
28 Sep 2021 01:34
Forum: Conlangs
Topic: (Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here
Replies: 769
Views: 102312

Re: (Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

I've been trying to learn about reduplication because I'd like to use it in my conlang, but I'm wondering if there much difference cross linguistically for root vs stem reduplication. This is an important distinction in my conlang's case because, being based on Old Japanese, verbs and verbal adject...
by eldin raigmore
25 Sep 2021 21:44
Forum: Conworlds & Concultures
Topic: Random Conworld idea thread
Replies: 475
Views: 133345

Re: Random Conworld idea thread

How would a reader have been expected to know that?
by eldin raigmore
25 Sep 2021 21:13
Forum: Conworlds & Concultures
Topic: Random Conworld idea thread
Replies: 475
Views: 133345

Re: Random Conworld idea thread

What is “istraty”?
by eldin raigmore
25 Sep 2021 16:49
Forum: Conworlds & Concultures
Topic: How to choose an architectural style?
Replies: 13
Views: 362

Re: How to choose an architectural style?

Boka B wrote: 24 Sep 2021 13:39 So, what are your thoughts?
So far my thoughts are “look at Salmoneus’s post and figure out how to apply it to each of the seven species I have thought of so far”.
by eldin raigmore
23 Sep 2021 17:00
Forum: Everything Else
Topic: 8values political quiz
Replies: 80
Views: 13913

Re: 8values political quiz

As I Understand Them: * Technocracy is rule by those who have the skills to rule, because they have those skills. * Meritocracy is rule by those who have earned rulership, because they have earned that right. * Timocracy is rule by those who are honored with rulership, because they have performed so...
by eldin raigmore
23 Sep 2021 16:48
Forum: Conworlds & Concultures
Topic: How to choose an architectural style?
Replies: 13
Views: 362

Re: How to choose an architectural style?

I lurk.
Soon I may contribute.
by eldin raigmore
22 Sep 2021 16:45
Forum: Conlangs
Topic: Should I/How to add phonotactics to phonotactics - less languages?
Replies: 6
Views: 205

Re: Should I/How to add phonotactics to phonotactics - less languages?

Isn’t there a correlation between having a small phoneme-inventory and having few phonotactic rules?
by eldin raigmore
20 Sep 2021 19:08
Forum: Conlangs
Topic: Ánni
Replies: 9
Views: 361

Re: Ánni

I agree with the first three responders!
by eldin raigmore
20 Sep 2021 09:15
Forum: Linguistics & Natlangs
Topic: (L&N) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here
Replies: 552
Views: 72380

How do you say “now what?” in Nahuatl?

How does one say “Now what?” in the natlang Nahuatl?
Edit: or, in full: “Now what’ll happen?”
by eldin raigmore
17 Sep 2021 16:40
Forum: Beginners' Corner
Topic: Resources on linguistic features
Replies: 3
Views: 303

Re: Resources on linguistic features

Oh wow, that's exactly what I was looking for, got an interactive map and intersecting features and everything. This will keep me entertained for hours, if not months. Thank you so much! You can display up to four features simultaneously. I’ve made very frequent use of being able to pair any two fe...
by eldin raigmore
16 Sep 2021 21:28
Forum: Conlangs
Topic: Another Almost-Cartesian Consonant Inventory
Replies: 34
Views: 2942

Re: Another Almost-Cartesian Consonant Inventory

In this 38-consonant inventory: 7 nasals: /m ɱ n ɳ ɲ ŋ ɴ/ 7 voiced fricatives: /β v z ʐ ʝ ɣ ʁ/ 7 voiceless fricatives: /ɸ f s ʂ ç x x̩/ 6 voiced stops/plosives: /b d ɖ ɟ g ɢ/ 6 voiceless stops/plosives: /p t ʈ c k q/ 5 approximants: /ʋ ɹ ɻ j ɰ / ::::: 6 alveolars: /t d n s z ɹ / 6 retroflexes: /ʈ ɖ ...
by eldin raigmore
16 Sep 2021 20:46
Forum: Teach & Share
Topic: Curiosities in Finnish
Replies: 38
Views: 7858

Re: Curiosities in Finnish

I think in my English classes it was usually called the predicate nominative.
Sometimes the predicate complement.

As I understand it, if it has its own special case, that case is often called the essive.
….
I could be wrong, but I doubt I’ve been wrong three times in this one post!
by eldin raigmore
16 Sep 2021 20:36
Forum: Conlangs
Topic: (Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here
Replies: 769
Views: 102312

Re: (Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

So, I want to make a conlang inspired by languages I like, but what do you do if the languages you like are all very different from each other? Take the consonant inventory from one, The vowel inventory from another one, The roots from a third, The morphology from a fourth, The word-order from a fi...
by eldin raigmore
13 Sep 2021 01:35
Forum: Translations
Topic: 7 Wonders of the World
Replies: 1
Views: 131

Re: 7 Wonders of the World

If we’re doing the 7 Modern Wonders of the Modern World, we should probably include NASA’s Vehicle Assembly Building. If we’re sticking to the 7 Ancient Wonders of the Ancient World, we need to omit the Eiffel Tower and the Statue of Liberty; they’re Modern. And the Tower of Pisa is Medieval or Rena...
by eldin raigmore
13 Sep 2021 01:21
Forum: Conlangs
Topic: Večʼapruga
Replies: 15
Views: 2691

Re: Večʼapruga

@Davush:
… and the more interesting option imo), multiple layers reflecting various stages of …
Like English’s frail/fragile and priest/presbyter doublets?
by eldin raigmore
08 Sep 2021 21:33
Forum: Everything Else
Topic: Birthdays!
Replies: 15
Views: 1833

Re: Birthdays!

lsd wrote: 23 Sep 2020 21:47 christmas seems to be a good time to design the future conlangers...
We’re going to design future conlangers?
Shouldn’t that be left up to their parents?

only three months left to wait...
Doesn’t it usually take nine months?

[;)]
by eldin raigmore
07 Sep 2021 22:35
Forum: Beginners' Corner
Topic: Seeking a linguistic term
Replies: 14
Views: 484

Re: Seeking a linguistic term

You mean English has just three one- letter morphemes. There are other one-phoneme morphemes: "eye", "aye", "owe", "eau", "eh", "ah", "oh", "ooh", "uh", "oy", "oi", "ow", etc. Rig...
by eldin raigmore
07 Sep 2021 17:20
Forum: Beginners' Corner
Topic: Seeking a linguistic term
Replies: 14
Views: 484

Re: Seeking a linguistic term

A language where there is an exact one-to-one relation between phonemes and morphemes does not have double articulation/duality of patterning. Maybe you could say it's singly articulated? Or you could say it has Monism of patterning. Also, does such a language really have phonemes/morphemes? Only o...
by eldin raigmore
07 Sep 2021 17:06
Forum: Beginners' Corner
Topic: Seeking a linguistic term
Replies: 14
Views: 484

Re: Seeking a linguistic term

Khemehekis wrote: 07 Sep 2021 08:25
eldin raigmore wrote: 07 Sep 2021 06:29 How about “bradymorphemic” for a language with mostly very short morphemes?
I believe you mean "brachymorphemic". Like "brachycephalic".

Brady- means "slow".

Oops!
You’re right!