Flowering Fields - Snapshots from Rireinu

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: Flowering Fields - Snapshots from Rireinu

Post by elemtilas »

prettydragoon wrote: 17 Apr 2021 22:33
elemtilas wrote: 12 Apr 2021 04:37 And a question! -- I find it very positive that age (and presumably wisdom!) is so respected among the Rireinukave (hope I spelled that right!) What if the oldest person at the (metaphorical) table happens to be a male?
Age implies wisdom. For a proto-kave savannah monkey to survive to a ripe old age, she had to be pretty dang clever to escape all the saber-toothed lions and tigers and bears (oh my!).

Ah yes. Since the Rireinukave are functionally a One Gender Race, they had no gender issues before encountering galactics. Biological gender is one of those things that is not mentioned in polite society. Galactics are tacitly assumed to be people, neither female nor male. The idea of people being male is still not quite real to the average Rireinukave, that there can be males that talk and think just like regular people (to the extent that galactics actually do think, anyway).
Those silly Galactics!

But, what happens in impolite society? I don't recall it being mentioned: how are male Galactics, er, handled in Rireinukave society?

I'm just going to go out on a limb and assume that, since you ignored my question [}:D] [}:D] [}:D] , male Rireinukave just don't get any respect in society? Even if an older one were present.

Of course, this also brings up a question: do Rireinukave ever know (or care) who their male relatives are?

In family life, of course, the word of the materfamilias is law. More so in the country than in the cities, but even in the turmoil of urban life, filial piety is highly prized. The young owe obedience to the old, and the old in return owe protection and guidance to the young. And as everyone is both daughter and mother in her time, it all comes out even.

The ways of showing respect are numerous. The elder always gets first choice. When an elder speaks, you do not interrupt. You address an elder with respect; the greater the age difference, the more respect. Nowadays simply bowing more deeply is usually sufficient to show respect. A traditional way to greet one of your grandmothers (or even your mothers-in-law, if you have married into a landed family) is pisuvosi or 'taking the dust': you go down on one knee before her, touch her feet with your right hand, and then touch that same hand to your forehead, lips, and heart.
Now that's proper respect for one's elders!
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

elemtilas wrote: 20 Apr 2021 02:30 Those silly Galactics!

But, what happens in impolite society? I don't recall it being mentioned: how are male Galactics, er, handled in Rireinukave society?
Galactics, whether normal or male [}:D] , are handled very carefully. A little like Western tourists in North Korea. With actual handlers complimentary personal guides provided by the government.
I'm just going to go out on a limb and assume that, since you ignored my question [}:D] [}:D] [}:D] , male Rireinukave just don't get any respect in society? Even if an older one were present.
I'm afraid you assume correctly. Of course, in male husbandry circles the performance of males is studied extensively. Sires that propagate desirable traits are valued especially. But no respect, really.
Of course, this also brings up a question: do Rireinukave ever know (or care) who their male relatives are?
The woman in the street neither knows nor cares. The studhouses, on the other hand, keep extensive records. Mainly to prevent inbreeding.
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

prettydragoon wrote: 21 Apr 2021 20:49 Galactics, whether normal or male [}:D] , are handled very carefully. A little like Western tourists in North Korea. With actual handlers complimentary personal guides provided by the government.
What do the "complimentary personal guides" do? What if the male Galactic has a female to watch over him already?

I'm afraid you assume correctly. Of course, in male husbandry circles the performance of males is studied extensively. Sires that propagate desirable traits are valued especially. But no respect, really.
Fair enough. And don't be afraid!

The woman in the street neither knows nor cares. The studhouses, on the other hand, keep extensive records. Mainly to prevent inbreeding.
Oh, how curious! Have you ever shown us what a male looks like?
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

elemtilas wrote: 21 Apr 2021 20:59
prettydragoon wrote: 21 Apr 2021 20:49 Galactics, whether normal or male [}:D] , are handled very carefully. A little like Western tourists in North Korea. With actual handlers complimentary personal guides provided by the government.
What do the "complimentary personal guides" do? What if the male Galactic has a female to watch over him already?
Why, the complimentary personal guide makes sure your visit runs smoothly and you get the maximum enjoyment out of your Rireinu experience. She will book you tickets to cultural and sporting events, transportation to and from all of your destinations, she will facilitate your meeting local experts in your areas of interest, she will give you the standard tour guide spiel if that is more your speed, or she can regale you with regional folk tales or the latest hot celebrity gossip... really, Jumpspace is the limit. (Yes, the phrase is "sky's the limit" but here it isn't since you can also visit Usa and Minaere, the two other settled worlds of the Rireinu system.) And not report on your every move, of course.

And if a male galactic has a female to watch over him already, then he gets to enter Rireinu. A female chaperone is required for all non-female galactics. Every tour group must have no more than 50% non-female members.
Oh, how curious! Have you ever shown us what a male looks like?
Not yet, not really, I don't think. In "A good boy" I alluded to males being much shorter, but that seems to be it so far.

So, here's a fairly close visual approximation: Take your stereotypical "caveman". Very hairy, speaks in grunts, not too bright. Take your average hobbit or halfling. Very short, like literally half the height of an adult Human, hairy feet, doesn't hold with "change" and "progress". With a bit of photoshop magic, morph them together, into a cave-hobbit.
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?