Random Conworld idea thread

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Iron
sinic
sinic

Re: Random Conworld idea thread

Post by Iron »

The Bosmer or Wood Elves in the Elder Scrolls sort of have that, except where the entire race - both men and women - have to eat meat. However, this is more due to magical/supernatural reasons, where (if I remember correctly), they made a pact with some god where they would basically gain some awesome abilities but it required that they respect nature/the forest/whatever and only eat meat. (I think - hopefully I didn't butcher the TES lore too much) While the reasoning behind that is magic/supernatural, it might work well as a religious or mythical excuse for why cannibalism is practiced.
You're referring to the Green Pact, with the forest deity Y'ffre. They've done it for his patronage, and in return, they may not harm, kill, injure, nor consume any type of vegetation. It affects much more than their cuisine, so it may lead to unwanted cultural traits. But I don't see how he can't just limit it to food.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Iron wrote:You're referring to the Green Pact, with the forest deity Y'ffre. They've done it for his patronage, and in return, they may not harm, kill, injure, nor consume any type of vegetation. It affects much more than their cuisine, so it may lead to unwanted cultural traits. But I don't see how he can't just limit it to food.
When I went to my Diabetes Type II camp that was run be Seventh Day Adventists they wanted us all to become vegan.
I have some questions, therefore:
1. What about mushrooms and other fungi?
2. What about protist food (derived from one-celled eukaryotic organisms), and bacterial and archaen food (derived from prokaryotes)?
3. Does honey count as "animal-derived" for this purpose? It was never part of any animal; it's just that bees make it.

------------------

Frankly I think a "don't eat any kind of vertebrate" proscription makes more sense than a "don't eat any kind of animal" one does.

Edit: btw Thanks to all responders so far! I like your responses and hope the thread will continue.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

I need a quick break from Interim Reports.

I will withhold my opinions (which are legion) on the matter for the sake of diplomacy.

1. Do vegans munch mushrooms and nosh on fungi? - Short answer: yes.
2. Do vegans eat protists/archaea/bacteria? - Short answer: maybe.

http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=5680323

3. Does honey count as animal-derived for vegans? - Yes, it does, unless your a flexitarian.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/food ... ebate.html
Iron
sinic
sinic

Post by Iron »

1. What about mushrooms and other fungi?
2. What about protist food (derived from one-celled eukaryotic organisms), and bacterial and archaen food (derived from prokaryotes)?
3. Does honey count as "animal-derived" for this purpose? It was never part of any animal; it's just that bees make it.
1 - I doubt the sentient creatures in the world of the Elder Scrolls find a significant difference between fungi and vegetation in general, so they would probably consider fungi a part of them.
2 - Can they even derive these foods? I'm not even sure how that works.
3 - Seeing as they use milk, unless it's their own, I think honey is okay.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thanks for your entire answer, Iron.
Naturally I'm only going to quote the parts I'm about to respond to; but I wanted to thank you for all of it.
Iron wrote:
me wrote:... 2. What about protist food (derived from one-celled eukaryotic organisms), and bacterial and archaean food (derived from prokaryotes)? ...
... 2 - Can they even derive these foods? I'm not even sure how that works. ...
Anything fermented is a product of some micro-organism or other.
Mostly that means bacteria, such as yeast.
It seems that many archaeans are extremophiles or that many extremophiles are archaeans; and that many extremophiles or many archaeans produce stuff toxic for humans.

But I believe some protista do in fact help in some fermented foods. Sorry I'm running out of time and can't look up a specific example right now.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Protista-fermented foods -

leavened bread
sauerkraut
kimchi
miso (Woops, that's a fungoid)
huitlacoche (Woops, that's a fungoid)

(not foods, but fermented)
kambocha
beer
wine
chicha
Iron
sinic
sinic

Post by Iron »

Thanks for your entire answer, Iron.
Naturally I'm only going to quote the parts I'm about to respond to; but I wanted to thank you for all of it.
My pleasure. Despite all of its flaws, I adore the TES world, so I naturally tend to "elaborate" on it when needed.
Anything fermented is a product of some micro-organism or other.
Mostly that means bacteria, such as yeast.
It seems that many archaeans are extremophiles or that many extremophiles are archaeans; and that many extremophiles or many archaeans produce stuff toxic for humans.

But I believe some protista do in fact help in some fermented foods. Sorry I'm running out of time and can't look up a specific example right now.
In that case (if we're still talking about the Bosmer culture and whatnot), I doubt that they, or their gods, would acknowledge such organisms as living, or acknowledge them at all. While the forest god would be aware of them, I guess, the said organisms are more than expendable. And as I've mentioned before, they ferment alcohol and milk, which obviously involves these processes. Unless your confolk have reached a great level of technology, or at least equivalent to ours, I doubt they'd acknowledge them as well.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Question:
I moved it to the Q&A Thread

Still, I left the light on for ya'.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Lambuzhao wrote:Protista-fermented foods -
leavened bread
sauerkraut
kimchi
miso (Woops, that's a fungoid)
huitlacoche (Woops, that's a fungoid)

(not foods, but fermented)
kambocha
beer
wine
chicha
Kimchi was what I had in mind, but I couldn't find documentation.
Leavened bread is fermented by yeast, isn't it? And yeast are bacteria, aren't they? Prokaryotes -- Monerans -- rather than Protista. (edit:-- yeast are considered fungi rather than monerans or protists.)
And why aren't beer and wine food?

Say, if you went into a Starbuck's and they served some kind of fermented coffee beverage, would the person who served it to you be called a protista instead of a barista?
Last edited by eldin raigmore on 03 Mar 2014 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

beer + wine = potables, not comestibles, though still tasteable

Say, if you went into a Starbuck's and they served some kind of fermented coffee beverage, would the person who served it to you be called a protista instead of a barista?
Only the very first one to come and wait on you gets to be called protista.

If (s)he does an exceptionally good job, then they would be an arista.

If (s)he has only waited on you before, then they would be an aorista
If (s)he has waited on you only in times still yet earlier, then they would be a

plusquamperfectionista
[>_<]
[xD]
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

Lambuzhao wrote:beer + wine = potables, not comestibles, though still tasteable

If (s)he has waited on you only in times still yet earlier, then they would be a

plusquamperfectionista
[>_<]
[xD]
Lambuzhao, has anyone ever told you that you're a genius?
And also possibly mad?
But then, all the best people are.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Lambuzhao wrote:beer + wine = potables, not comestibles, though still tasteable
Then, is soup a beverage or a food-dish?
And btw I assume vodka and schnapps are potatables too?
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

eldin raigmore wrote: Then, is soup a beverage or a food-dish?
This smacks of "Is a tomato a fruit or vegetable".

Culinarily or elsewhere-ily?

I'd say soup is soppable.
https://twitter.com/houston_foodie/status/21360249870

And btw I assume vodka and schnapps are potatables too?
To get at the root of the matter,
yea yea verily.
[+1]
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

[quote="eldin raigmore"]
Leavened bread is fermented by yeast, isn't it? And yeast are bacteria, aren't they? Prokaryotes -- Monerans -- rather than Protista.
quote]
I'm pretty sure yeast is a fungi.

Anyway here's an interesting idea:
A conculture switches from a justice system where the offending part is cut off (Rapists castrated, A thiefs dominant hand being cut off) to imprisoning the body part for a set amount of time like thieves hands are put in "Hand-cages" for 5-10 years, rapists wear chastity devices etc.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Shemtov wrote:I'm pretty sure yeast is a fungus.
You are right and I was wrong.
Wikipedia wrote:Yeasts are eukaryotic microorganisms classified in the kingdom Fungi,
Shemtov wrote:Anyway here's an interesting idea:
A conculture switches from a justice system where the offending part is cut off (Rapists castrated, A thiefs dominant hand being cut off) to imprisoning the body part for a set amount of time like thieves hands are put in "Hand-cages" for 5-10 years, rapists wear chastity devices etc.
I agree that that's interesting.
What about perjurors? Con-men? Libellers? Slanderers? Blackmailers? Spies? Vandals? Peeping Toms? Swindlers?
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

eldin raigmore wrote:
Shemtov wrote:I'm pretty sure yeast is a fungus.
You are right and I was wrong.
Wikipedia wrote:Yeasts are eukaryotic microorganisms classified in the kingdom Fungi,
Shemtov wrote:Anyway here's an interesting idea:
I agree that that's interesting.
What about perjurors? Con-men? Libellers? Slanderers? Blackmailers? Spies? Vandals? Peeping Toms? Swindlers?
I guess there would be a lot of people waring some kind of muzzles or even blindfolds [:D]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
AureusFulgens
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by AureusFulgens »

I COMMAND YOU TO LIVE! LIIIIIIIIIIIIVVVVE!

(I had a friend once who was into necromancy. No idea what happened to dear old Annatar after we finished with those rings.)

Once I had the idea of a culture where everyone was expected to be capable of improvising a short poem on the spot, particularly for the purpose of insulting someone else. Employing clever metaphors and colorful language and such would be good form, while using standard curse words would be considered lack of creativity: better to say "Your face is like the three-day-old leftovers of a lion's dinner!" than "Your face is f***ing ugly!" Rather than duels with weapons, disputes would be settled by public showdowns of improvised poetry.

What do you think?
Aureus Fulgens
Student, writer, mathematician, conlanger, sci-fi enthusiast, walker
"The pen is mightier than the sword, but both can ruin a good shirt." - Cuthbert Soup
Znex
roman
roman

Post by Znex »

Lambuzhao wrote:

plusquamperfectionista
[>_<]
[xD]
ho ho ho, classical jokes
AureusFulgens wrote:Once I had the idea of a culture where everyone was expected to be capable of improvising a short poem on the spot, particularly for the purpose of insulting someone else. Employing clever metaphors and colorful language and such would be good form, while using standard curse words would be considered lack of creativity: better to say "Your face is like the three-day-old leftovers of a lion's dinner!" than "Your face is f***ing ugly!" Rather than duels with weapons, disputes would be settled by public showdowns of improvised poetry.

What do you think?

Sounds a bit like Insult Swordfighting without swords, which of course is pretty awesome.

You should definitely have a go at that. [:D]
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: :wls: : [:S] | :deu: :ell: :rus: : [:x]
Conlangs: Hawntow, Yorkish, misc.
she/her
AureusFulgens
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by AureusFulgens »

Znex wrote:
AureusFulgens wrote:Once I had the idea of a culture where everyone was expected to be capable of improvising a short poem on the spot, particularly for the purpose of insulting someone else. Employing clever metaphors and colorful language and such would be good form, while using standard curse words would be considered lack of creativity: better to say "Your face is like the three-day-old leftovers of a lion's dinner!" than "Your face is f***ing ugly!" Rather than duels with weapons, disputes would be settled by public showdowns of improvised poetry.

What do you think?

Sounds a bit like Insult Swordfighting without swords, which of course is pretty awesome.

You should definitely have a go at that. [:D]
I think I will. (That video was pretty funny... What is that game?)

...I just had a frightening thought. Have I created a culture of battle-rappers?
Aureus Fulgens
Student, writer, mathematician, conlanger, sci-fi enthusiast, walker
"The pen is mightier than the sword, but both can ruin a good shirt." - Cuthbert Soup
Znex
roman
roman

Post by Znex »

AureusFulgens wrote:(That video was pretty funny... What is that game?)
Why, it's only part of one of the great classic video game series: Monkey Island.

They're all humourous adventure games made by Lucasarts around 1990-2002 set in a thoroughly pirate-owned Caribbean where you, Guybrush Threepwood, are aiming to become a mighty pirate.

There are remastered versions of Monkey Island I & II on Steam, go check them out! [:P]
AureusFulgens wrote: ...I just had a frightening thought. Have I created a culture of battle-rappers?
Quite potentially.
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: :wls: : [:S] | :deu: :ell: :rus: : [:x]
Conlangs: Hawntow, Yorkish, misc.
she/her