Random Conworld idea thread

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Khemehekis
runic
runic

Re: Random Conworld idea thread

Post by Khemehekis »

k1234567890y wrote: 08 Mar 2021 08:48 I got another random idea:

A group of Jews moved to Japan and got a Japanese style name, and their seemingly Japanese names are usually kanji transliterations of the original Jewish name i.e. כוהן (Cohen, a common Jewish surname) becomes 香遠 (pronounced as /ko:.en/).
Like the Japanese word for "park"? Awesome!

As a Jew who is studying Japanese, this is of interest to me. What would the surname Landau become?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 72,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Khemehekis wrote: 08 Apr 2021 16:39
k1234567890y wrote: 08 Mar 2021 08:48 I got another random idea:

A group of Jews moved to Japan and got a Japanese style name, and their seemingly Japanese names are usually kanji transliterations of the original Jewish name i.e. כוהן (Cohen, a common Jewish surname) becomes 香遠 (pronounced as /ko:.en/).
Like the Japanese word for "park"? Awesome!

As a Jew who is studying Japanese, this is of interest to me. What would the surname Landau become?
thanks (: and it seems that your family name is Landau?

Landau's kanji could be something like 蘭堂, 蘭同, 蘭道, etc., all pronounced as /ɺando:/
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Post by LinguoFranco »

I'm considering working a Space Western society. I have a vague interstellar sci-fi universe, but it's more space opera, but I might revamp it to focus on smaller scale stories that focus on the protagonist's problems.

The ironic thing is, that I don't like the traditional Western genre, but the idea of exploring and settling a new and lawless frontier appeals to me.

The Western influence in this setting is gonna be more subtle, so most characters aren't gonna being riding into town on a robotic horse while wearing Stetson hats.
Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis »

k1234567890y wrote: 10 Apr 2021 14:06 thanks (: and it seems that your family name is Landau?
You're welcome. Yes, my IRL surname is Landau. Hence the Landau Core Vocabulary.
Landau's kanji could be something like 蘭堂, 蘭同, 蘭道, etc., all pronounced as /ɺando:/
The second one features a gate/door kanji, doesn't it? But they're all cool.

The AU in Landau is pronounced /au/ as in "sauerkraut", but Landau sometimes turns into Lando in Israel, so I suppose a /ɺando:/ pronunciation would work.
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 26 Apr 2021 06:27
k1234567890y wrote: 10 Apr 2021 14:06 thanks (: and it seems that your family name is Landau?
You're welcome. Yes, my IRL surname is Landau. Hence the Landau Core Vocabulary.
The second one features a gate/door kanji, doesn't it? But they're all cool.

The AU in Landau is pronounced /au/ as in "sauerkraut", but Landau sometimes turns into Lando in Israel, so I suppose a /ɺando:/ pronunciation would work.
Wonder what the kanji for Calrissian is?
Khemehekis
runic
runic

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 27 Apr 2021 01:57 Wonder what the kanji for Calrissian is?
[xD] My housemate Aaron calls me "Landau Calrissian". My brother got called such as well, back when he was in school.
♂♥♂♀

Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

WeepingElf wrote: 11 Feb 2019 20:51
k1234567890y wrote: 11 Feb 2019 20:07
WeepingElf wrote: 10 Feb 2019 19:38 An alternative history which came to my mind when stepping out of the shower two days ago:

What if Rome had adopted the Etruscan language, and built its empire speaking and spreading that language? (After all, they did once have an Etruscan nobility.) So the whole Romance branch of Indo-European would be excised and replaced by a non-IE family descending from Etruscan! Also, the many Latin and Romance loanwords in various non-Romance languages would be replaced by Etruscan ones.

I call this the Etruscan Romance Alternative Timeline (ERAT). Surely an interesting idea, conlang-wise, but (1) Etruscan is hard to work with because it is so poorly known and (2) I have enough other projects to wrap my mind around already.
if it is not because of the scarcity of the data on the Etruscan vocabulary(and the lexicon of other Tyrsenian languages), this would be a great idea.
Thank you! Of course, we as conlangers could fill in the "missing" Etruscan words ;)
Sorry for replying two years later, but what if Latin, both in vocabulary and morphosyntax was an Italic language heavily influence by Etruscan/Tyrsenian? The Romans' religion in this timeline could also have just as much influence from Etruscan religion as they did IRL by the Greeks. The Etruscan loanword stratum could be equal to the Greek stratum in IRL Latin. I would keep a lot of Greek influence around, but have Etruscan influence at the same level as the Greek.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien

Populi Reipublicae Sinarum dēlenda est!