Random Conworld idea thread

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Re: Random Conworld idea thread

Post by Lambuzhao »

eldin raigmore wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:... rouge ....
Did you mean "rogue"?
If not, what is a "rouge planet"?
Edit: At first I thought k1234567890y really meant <rouge>. It wasn't until I read Micamo's and shimobaatar's responses that I started thinking they probably meant <rogue>. Since I'd been confused I thought it worthwhile to ask for clarification. Besides, IMO, a rouge planet is a great idea!
1) A planet that really knows its make-up (both cosmic and cosmetic).

2) A rather posh Mars

3) The planet Epsilon L'orealis, homeworld of the much sought-after spice macquillage.

4) Exoplanet UrP38-2678860313, the planet discovered and colonized by the Intergalactic National People's Gang of Kampuchea, Khmer Kraham LLC (which actually has a greenish-bluish-goldeny tint to its atmosphere, not red at all :roll: )

[:$]

Is the Rogue Planet the place where all the elephants who've been really naughty go when they die?
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Lambuzhao wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:... rouge ....
Did you mean "rogue"? If not, what is a "rouge planet"?
Edit: IMO, a rouge planet is a great idea!
1) A planet that really knows its make-up (both cosmic and cosmetic).

2) A rather posh Mars

3) The planet Epsilon L'orealis, homeworld of the much sought-after spice macquillage.
1) [xD] 2) [xD] 3) [xD]

We live in a world where "chaise longue" is read in American English as "chaise lounge" :roll: . Surely, under such horrific conditions, a little slack on the rogue-rouge continuum is in order. Besides, a planet secure enough in its planethood to don a little lipstick and mascara is to be commended, because they're worth it. Don't hate them because they're beautiful.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Quite possibly my favorite Hellspawn Mantra I've come up with:

Scalding Doubt Invocation (Corruption): The Hellspawn can make mortals scrutinize even the most convincing arguments. This argument allows the Hellspawn to interrupt a person giving a speech or making a presentation with some kind of contradicting evidence. If successful, the audience begins to immediately doubt the Hellspawn's target--with enough power from the Hellspawn they can gain a resolute refusal to listen to a single world he says. The Hellspawn's contradiction does not have to be relevant or even make sense.

Basically, this lets you walk into a presentation of a scientist describing his work, with tons of data proving his results, yell "YEAH BUT 1 +1 IS ZEBRAS" and everyone instantly starts booing him off the stage. It truly fits the "fuck everything up for shits and giggles" aspect of (certain) Hellspawn.

And speaking of, one of my favorite Heavenborn Mantras:

Avatar-Demanding Atemi (Harmony): When a Celestial Seneschal needs to do business with a being, they shall get their audience. This Mantra augments a hand-to-hand attack by the Heavenborn against any being with a Demesne. By punching the Demesne, the Heavenborn can force the being to instantly show up in their Avatar form, which instantly takes the full brunt of the attack. The difficulty in summoning the Avatar depends on the strength and Domain of the being in question compared to the Heavenborn.

Basically, this lets you punch a forest so hard it becomes a person. Or a castle. Or a thunderstorm.

I had also sketched out the "throw/punch shit really goddamn far" chain of Mantras but I'm not posting those here unless someone asks for them. They're mostly the same thing, just increasing in strength.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Is it really "Demesne" and not Demense"? If so, I've been pronouncing it wrong in my head for a while now!
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

It's the former. It's an old French word (meaning "land attached to a manor") pronounced [di.mejn]. Gotta love that French orthography!

Incidentally, people's souls in the Divine Plane are special demesnes. One can literally enter the soul of a person and walk around it like it's a physical location. The layout, architecture, and design of the soul depends on the person in question. For instance, a warrior might have austere buildings, each one an embodiment of the martial arts techniques he has practiced. Inside each one, ghost-like apparitions practice his forms and katas. The sky is the dull gray of a battlefield, and one can always hear the clashing of blades. His own blade may appear in reliefs, paintings, and engraved into walls and roads. In the center lie many grand statues of people, places, and ideals--the things he fights for, be they his family members, his country, and his philosophy. You could, for instance, smash the statue of his mother to remove his love for her...but even the mighty Ascended find moving the hearts of even mere mortals to be a herculean task. Eroding his love through Mantras and cutting words? Sure. But simply walking in and brutally smashing it down is no easy task.

But you can still do Inception-style "get into his soul and implant shit/destroy bonds" stuff, it's just gonna be really hard. I don't want Ascended just waltzing in and literally rewriting people's personalities and intimacies with a wave of their hand.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

It's usually pronounced /dImi:n/, in my experience.
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Post by Dezinaa »

I made a chart of skin color variation in the Ngona.

(I thought this would be a good thread for this.)
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Dezinaa wrote:I made a chart of skin color variation in the Ngona.
Spoiler:
(I thought this would be a good thread for this.)
Looking good! What determines an individual's skin color? The same things that determine human skin color?
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Post by Dezinaa »

shimobaatar wrote:Looking good! What determines an individual's skin color? The same things that determine human skin color?
Probably a bluish-green or cyan pigment causes the color, and exposure to sunlight increases the amount of UV protection needed, which makes the skin appear darker (or something like that). So yes, similar to humans. But I'm not sure what kind of molecule similar to melanin would make green-blue coloration.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Dezinaa wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:Looking good! What determines an individual's skin color? The same things that determine human skin color?
Probably a bluish-green or cyan pigment causes the color, and exposure to sunlight increases the amount of UV protection needed, which makes the skin appear darker (or something like that). So yes, similar to humans. But I'm not sure what kind of molecule similar to melanin would make green-blue coloration.
It would probably be a molecule in the chlorophyll complex
Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorophyll_c looks like a good bet.
Last edited by qwed117 on 08 Aug 2016 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Do you people think it is possible to make a world where physical laws are regulated by different rules, like x=amt^2, where x is the distance moved, a is the acceleration, m is the mass of the object, t is the time?
qwed117 wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:
It would probably be a molecule in the chlorophyll complex
I was thinking the same (:
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Dezinaa
greek
greek

Post by Dezinaa »

qwed117 wrote:It would probably be a molecule in the chlorophyll complex
Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chlorophyll_c looks like a good bet.
Thanks! That's what I was looking for.
k1234567890y wrote:Do you people think it is possible to make a world where physical laws are regulated by different rules, like x=amt^2, where x is the distance moved, a is the acceleration, m is the mass of the object, t is the time?
That sounds interesting!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Dezinaa wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:Do you people think it is possible to make a world where physical laws are regulated by different rules, like x=amt^2, where x is the distance moved, a is the acceleration, m is the mass of the object, t is the time?
That sounds interesting!
[+1] I think it's probably possible, but it would take a lot of time, effort, expertise, etc. I know I couldn't do it, personally.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

shimobaatar wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:
That sounds interesting!
[+1] I think it's probably possible, but it would take a lot of time, effort, expertise, etc. I know I couldn't do it, personally.
Well, we do it all the time -- we just don't, as a rule, sit down and figure out all the fiddly maths that would be required to describe that reality.

Can't imagine the nightmare Chagen would have sorting out the maths required that would allow several star-sized beings to move around freely in space in order to fight one another!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

elemtilas wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
Dezinaa wrote:
That sounds interesting!
Well, we do it all the time -- we just don't, as a rule, sit down and figure out all the fiddly maths that would be required to describe that reality.

Can't imagine the nightmare Chagen would have sorting out the maths required that would allow several star-sized beings to move around freely in space in order to fight one another!
Oh, true. I just meant that hardly anyone seems to, literally or figuratively, do the math. I'm a fan of hand-waiving things; I have more fun that way, personally.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

shimobaatar wrote:Oh, true. I just meant that hardly anyone seems to, literally or figuratively, do the math. I'm a fan of hand-waiving things; I have more fun that way, personally.
Yep. Handwaving gets one right down to the eggs and scrapple of it all, if you take my meaning. I've got really no interest in digging into the underlying maths of an invented world. I'm sure there are folks who find some quiet happiness in doing that; like you, I believe, I'm just much more interested in the happenings and stories and cultures and histories.
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval »

One of the things I have trouble with in my conworlds (not that I conworld that much anyway [:S]) is being ok with the handwave that everyone speaks the same language. This often results in me scrapping up naming languages shittier than shit itself and are all way too similar grammatically. [¬.¬]

Also kind of related is the fact that whenever I try to make an "alien" language, it just ends up closer to a natlang I'm less familiar with.
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

maybe this isn not counted as one, but I have an idea of an extended fallout world, where Rotokas people migrated to Australia, Indonesia, Southeast Asia and Southern China, and Rotokas and Tok Pisin replaced English, Indonesian and Chinese, becoming the lingua franca of Southeast Asia, New Guinea and Australia.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Today I though about different types of law based on the islamic al-Aḥkām al-ḫamsa/Ahkam pentad. I expanded it a bit and I plan to have some cultures with seven categories of law. Maybe also some with a simple dichotomy forbidden vs. allowed. I think there will be no cultures with three categories duty vs. allows vs. forbidden in my conworld. The basic principle is which acts (or the omission thereof) are punished and which acts (or the omission thereof) are rewarded. The labels are used are placeholders, because I was a bit hesistant to use the original Arab labels.
Spoiler:

k1234567890y wrote:maybe this isn not counted as one, but I have an idea of an extended fallout world, where Rotokas people migrated to Australia, Indonesia, Southeast Asia and Southern China, and Rotokas and Tok Pisin replaced English, Indonesian and Chinese, becoming the lingua franca of Southeast Asia, New Guinea and Australia.
Interesting [:)]
Do you know anything else about the new emerging cultures yet? Is there any obvious connection between Rotokas and Tok Pisin?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Creyeditor wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:maybe this isn not counted as one, but I have an idea of an extended fallout world, where Rotokas people migrated to Australia, Indonesia, Southeast Asia and Southern China, and Rotokas and Tok Pisin replaced English, Indonesian and Chinese, becoming the lingua franca of Southeast Asia, New Guinea and Australia.
Interesting [:)]
Do you know anything else about the new emerging cultures yet? Is there any obvious connection between Rotokas and Tok Pisin?
maybe not yet =_="

however there's a possibility that they can adopt many things of the pre-war English-speaking Australia to develop their own culture, I think. (: