Symbols of Concultures

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Symbols of Concultures

Post by Ahzoh »

Lambuzhao wrote:
XXXVII wrote:Something like this:

Exactly, but without the serifs.

I like the serifs, though.
Then it's not unicursive...
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Well, yes
but the real unicursal looked too much like a Vee and a Lambda tribbing.
That's not necessarily a bad thing, but not initially what I was after.

Another prominent symbol is the Flower of the Deathless Nepet:

http://i.parkseed.com/images/xxl/31530_1.jpg

It grows only in the deepest, darkest niches of the Widest, Tulgiest Woods on Tirga.
It is the symbol of the Nepet Klera, an alliance of great warriors and various tribes across Tirga. When in times of great distress, the rare bloom of the Nepet is sought out,
as a clarion-call to renew once more
the bonds of Gamainduth forged in times of yore.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

That's a cool looking plant. Have you thought about crafting a geometric symbol that represents the plant? I could totally see the culture using the plant in heraldic applications considering the description of its importance you just gave.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

XXXVII wrote:That's a cool looking plant. Have you thought about crafting a geometric symbol that represents the plant? I could totally see the culture using the plant in heraldic applications considering the description of its importance you just gave.
[+1]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

eldin raigmore wrote:
XXXVII wrote:That's a cool looking plant. Have you thought about crafting a geometric symbol that represents the plant? I could totally see the culture using the plant in heraldic applications considering the description of its importance you just gave.
[+1]
I have sort of. I would have used just a stylized version of the flower for a kind of
fleur-de-lis type abstraction. Its pretty evident from the descript that it needs that sort of a treatment.

The funny thing is that, in the Tirga story cycle, the last known Nepet is guarded by a Preakness of Ligers under the control the main villains Dazzlehead and Clownface.

Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Those are... unique villain names. And if that's a liger, I want one!
GBR
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by GBR »

A family crest I just made. Three links in a chain. I'm sure it has a meaning, but haven't quite hit on it yet.
Inspired by old Japanese yukata patterns.

I've got another in the making, but not quite there yet.
GBR
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by GBR »

Have been fiddling and fiddling with this one and I'm still not happy. Meh. [¬.¬]

Last edited by GBR on 12 Jul 2014 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

XXXVII wrote:Those are... unique villain names. And if that's a liger, I want one!
It's not what ligers normally look like, no. Although ligers are very cute (in a lumbering way), and apparently very docile/pleasant (they'd make terrible guards of anything).

Ligers look like this:

You don't normally find them in the wild, partly because tigers and lions don't have overlapping ranges (anymore), and because even if they did ligers have health problems, and are always (well, nothing's ever always always, but effectively always) unable to reproduce.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

XXXVII wrote:Those are... unique villain names. And if that's a liger, I want one!

I love those names, too. I showed some drawings I had made of them to my son. He was like 5 yrs old. I asked him,"Who are these people?" He looked hard and said,"Clownface. Clownface and Dazzlehead." Their real names are something else more "in conworld", but I love my son's monikers much more. I'll have to upload that picture once I get it out of a hoarcrux somewheres....

Technically, I'm sorry to say that the cat is not a true liger. Her name is Jahzira, and she is a liguar (half lion, half jaguar). Still pretty darn cool, though. I don't when, if ever, they could breed a Black Liger. That would indeed be pretty impressive. Anyway, Jahzira's more grown up than the recently littered real white liger cubs-
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... lanet.html

...but I cannot wait to see how they look fully grown, loping about in Pleistocene Park, taking down resurrected mammoth hybrids, grizzly bears, and anything else that will fit in their mouths. But I dream... :roll:
Goat
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Goat »

Flag of oksirlondí, home of the oksirveþvun.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I like it. It has two of my favorite things in vexillology going for it: simplicity and distinctiveness.

You motivated me to finally make the flag I had been thinking about for the speakers of Cæslajé's:

Which in turn spawned the flag icon that is now in my sig!

And, for those folks who didn't see it, this is the flag of the Khengall, which has also been miniaturized into a flag icon in my sig:

Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

XXXVII on (C&C) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here wrote:Neither my phone, nor my work computer can display that image, so I still don't know what you're talking about. And what's a "look-at"?

Gonna go ahead and put any further posts about your flag in that other thread I mentioned, so this one can go back to actual Quick Questions.
Oh, it's my way of saying that people are already discussing ideas for how my flag can look better; they are taking a look at my flag's central symbol, and some people made a stylized version of it. Because non-standard speech is fun!

It didn't show???
This link maybe?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 244&type=1
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Yeah, you're going to need to host whatever you are trying to link to elsewhere... I can get as far as the Facebook page, but then it gives me an error saying it can't be displayed.

Better? Worse? I have no idea, but your symbol's back in there. If you were cool with swapping the red and black, we could have it flanked by some variant of stylized crow wings, which I think would be really cool.

Maybe something like these:
Spoiler:
Again though, I am stuck with Paint, so... options are limited at the moment.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

XXXVII wrote:Yeah, you're going to need to host whatever you are trying to link to elsewhere... I can get as far as the Facebook page, but then it gives me an error saying it can't be displayed?
Are you able to look at imgur pictures?

http://imgur.com/dFrie51
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Yep!

Wow, I like that. However, the gradients on the yellow sun-rays are very unlikely components on a flag. Generally, each section of a flag needs to be a uniform color.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

XXXVII wrote:Yep!

Wow, I like that. However, the gradients on the yellow sun-rays are very unlikely components on a flag. Generally, each section of a flag needs to be a uniform color.
Here, the final rendition of the Vrkhazhian flag. Now it doesn't look bland.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Based off your design above, but with some simplifications and some other alterations here and there to make it a tad less "busy" while at the same time preserving many of the details. Personally, I think all the dots throughout and the border are a bit much, but that's my opinion.

I must say though, that the addition of yellow helps a lot, and is a lot more visually interesting than the white I had in my earlier attempts.

Image Image

I found the "protrusions" on the symbol to be far too phallic, so I made them into points á la the star you have in the center, which also allowed me to remove it, since its shape was incorporated into the central symbol already.

I think I like the yellow one better.
Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 31 Jul 2014 07:57, edited 1 time in total.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I think I like this one more. It is a very simple design; a 4 year-old could draw it!
Now to get a mini flag pin done.

I think the flag would look better with torqoise, or some similar blue-green colour instead of gold.
I'm thinking this colour:
GBR
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by GBR »

Been picking away at this little thing.

It represents the three bodies of the theocratic government from my conworld. Without going in to too much detail about the government and con world itself...
The top portion represents the main monastic body, the actual monks and nuns that make up the councils that run the show. The symbol is a bird feather in a circle. A species of bird is sacred to the religion, and feathers (and the quills they make) are particularly important to this portion of the religious body.
Bottom left represent the governors and advisors who effectively act as a bridge between the monastic body and the various kings, queens, warlords and what have you that rule over the states that make up the Empire*. Monks and nuns are technically barred from being involved in governance, so this group sits in the space between ordained body and laypersons. Also included here are the monastery guards, the religious groups private army. The symbol is of a semi-eclipsed sun.
Bottom right represents the wildmen, shamans and witches. This isn't an organised group so much as a category the primary monastic body applies to old-religion holy-men and women. These people tend to taboo subjects (funeral rights, direct healing, childbirth, hunting rites etc), and to keep alive the old oral traditions, which still play a vital role under the new religion. As such, the symbol probably would not be recognised by the people it is supposed to represent. They are represented by a mountain reflected in a lake.

Both the bottom symbols are rotated 60 degrees.

In some respects I'd like a little more intricacy, but on the other hand, I'm enjoying this very sparse, minimalistic look at the moment. Colours are generally in the direction I'm considering, but not fixed.

Whaddya think?

*Terminology is failing me here, so if anyone knows what to call a political body that has a religious group as it's supreme power, but individual states with their own governing systems as it's composite parts, I'd love to know. Imagine an all catholic Europe with a pope who has real serious power, like an Emperor.