Symbols of Concultures

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Re: Symbols of Concultures

Post by eldin raigmore »

Ahzoh wrote:You ought to read what he said, since he made it clear that there would be a blue or black "background" when the flag is flown, but otherwise documents and stuff just has the circular flag all normal. In otherwords, everything around the circle is NOT part of the flag, just there to allow the flag to fly.
Yes, I saw that (after I posted) in a reply to the post I quoted. I think I didn't understand it the first time I read it.
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

Some Drúnish flags, as flown by the now-unified subdivisions of the Drún:
https://imgur.com/a/BSXgz

One of the first (known) states, from the current capital Xʀǽdbreŋ, on the Xàrp river. The colors are symbolic of the sky, the river, and the jungle.

From the other side of the continent, the flag of the Kingdom of Srìvbre.

From the Kingdom of Srìvbre. The flag of the mercantile alliance that spanned half the Drúnish coast, outlasted Srìvbre, and produced some of the first reports of the Eyþï branch of Proto-Šile.

The Tʲúbrēŋ Kingdom, from the source of the Drún region's other main river, the Mʀōn.

The flag of the democratic republic that united the shores of the Mʀōn and the Xàrp, as well as some parts of the coast.

The modern compromise flag of the whole Drún-speaking region.
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

List of conlangs with links!
Refer to me with any sex-neutral (or feminine) 3s pronoun, either from English (no singular they please, zie etc are okay) or from one of your conlangs!
CWS
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

These look well-made and aesthetically pleasing, in my opinion. [:)] Would it be correct to assume that the last flag has "Drún" written on it?
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

shimobaatar wrote:These look well-made and aesthetically pleasing, in my opinion. [:)] Would it be correct to assume that the last flag has "Drún" written on it?
Thanks! [:D] Yep, it's "Drún". The same text is also in my avatar.
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

Refer to me with any sex-neutral (or feminine) 3s pronoun, either from English (no singular they please, zie etc are okay) or from one of your conlangs!
CWS
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

I like most of them, but the purple on green in the fifth flag clashes violently for me. It's a little hard to look at. [>_<] I like the third flag best; to me, it's the most realistic and attractive of any of them.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Dormouse559 wrote:I like most of them, but the purple on green in the fifth flag clashes violently for me. It's a little hard to look at. [>_<] I like the third flag best; to me, it's the most realistic and attractive of any of them.
Agreed.

Were these by chance done in MSPaint? All the colors seem to be rather... Violent? Garish? Paint tends to only allow the loudest variant of a color unless you manually pick each of them which can be rather tedious given the interface.

I'd suggest toning down the shades a bit. Take a look at the reds and blues and purples (exceedingly rare flag color) used on other flags and applied those to see the difference.
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:
Dormouse559 wrote:I like most of them, but the purple on green in the fifth flag clashes violently for me. It's a little hard to look at. [>_<] I like the third flag best; to me, it's the most realistic and attractive of any of them.
Agreed.

Were these by chance done in MSPaint? All the colors seem to be rather... Violent? Garish? Paint tends to only allow the loudest variant of a color unless you manually pick each of them which can be rather tedious given the interface.

I'd suggest toning down the shades a bit. Take a look at the reds and blues and purples (exceedingly rare flag color) used on other flags and applied those to see the difference.
GIMP, actually. I, uh, couldn't find any nice colors and just quit. I also think I forgot and left Redshift on... I'll go play with the eyedropper tool.
(The purple's there intentionally.)
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

CWS
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

All right, now with actual flag colors!
https://imgur.com/a/kjFIC
(Red and green from Bangladesh, dark blue from Finland, light blue from Botswana, and purple from Dominica.)
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

CWS
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Much much better! I think I like the first one a lot more now, and even the one Dormouse called out earlier is much more pleasant to the eye.

Nice work!
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

druneragarsh wrote:All right, now with actual flag colors!
https://imgur.com/a/kjFIC
(Red and green from Bangladesh, dark blue from Finland, light blue from Botswana, and purple from Dominica.)
I particularly like the one with the white circle, and the vertically striped one; not normally a fan of that shade of purple but it works really well balanced by the green on the other side.
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

The Mira flag, two versions since I can't decide which blue to use:
I'm also not happy with the sun rays.
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

CWS
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

The sun looks awkward up against the top of the field. What if you moved it to the center, behind the mountain? For the rays, have you considered something like the flags of Macedonia or Arizona? I think moving the sun would also help the rays look better, because both the rays and the mountain would appear to radiate from the same point.
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

Dormouse559 wrote:The sun looks awkward up against the top of the field. What if you moved it to the center, behind the mountain? For the rays, have you considered something like the flags of Macedonia or Arizona? I think moving the sun would also help the rays look better, because both the rays and the mountain would appear to radiate from the same point.
Actually, I think I'll just make it a pennant. The landscape-style layout just doesn't fit.
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

CWS
Firebird766
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Firebird766 »

None of the countries I've developed in Maliter have flags. They have seals, but those are seals for stamping (or rather, rolling, as these are typically cylinder seals) on official documents instead of something you put everywhere to symbolize the country.

In Naqil, the closest thing to a flag -which still isn't very close, mind- would be the long sashes worn by nobility, specifically the ones worn by the Councilors themselves- the pattern being essentially an elaborate seven-part depiction of the founding of the country. The middle panel, a depiction of the unification of the mountain tribes, is the one typically used for official cylinder seals. Other nobles wear their House color and emblem, and none of those can be said to represent Naqil as a whole.

Jor uses an otter to represent itself in political and religious artwork, and lately a nationalist organization has taken that and run with it, even calling themselves the Otter Society.

Muilo has border markers, which are monoclored thin, long strips of cloth hung on posts. Red banners are national borders, black are province, white are city. The number of banners per post indicates relations with their neighbors. One banner is for allies, two for neutral parties, and three for whom there are conflicts. The posts themselves are usually carved and painted, with the most elaborate decorations going to the posts that have been there the longest, but the ones bordering Naqil are plain because Naqil keeps pushing into Muilo territory and burning the border markers.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Vexilloid of the Yonataoran Empire:
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I don't mean to come across rude, but that flag violates rule #4 of good flag design: Don't use text or seals.

Unfortunately, since that's all that's on it, I can't really suggest merely removing it or any improvements.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

And yet, a IRL Vexilloid from around the same period my conculture is set in:
Spoiler:
(Yeah, I know the colors are off; the yellow field should look more golden)
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

And what about the Saudi Arabia flag, with all that written jazz?
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Which, btw, the Drun flag up there resembles.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

loglorn wrote:And what about the Saudi Arabia flag, with all that written jazz?
IMO, the Saudi Arabian flag is a poor design.

However, after I posted the above I looked up the term vexilloid specifically and was greeted with hundreds of images of the very example Shemtov posted. So, if his conworld exists around the same time as the Roman empire, it'd make sense to be designed similarly.

Still, I'd say the Roman vexilloid is poorly designed as well, but period authenticity trumps that in this case. Not that you need my permission or anything. Had you mentioned the time period, Shemtov, I likely wouldn't have said that.