my conworld: saza

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
xijlwya
sinic
sinic

my conworld: saza

Post by xijlwya »

last Update: 10/05/2010 - the society on the planet
Short Overview
  • saza is an earth-like planet
  • it is inhabited by humans
  • the inhabitants consits of two ethnic groups: the 'normal' people and their 'gods'
  • the gods are a technically advanced part of mankind there
  • those gods live in space station above the planets atmosphere
  • gods let 'normal' people work for them
  • 'normals' are rather medieval
  • gods get their planetary supply by sacrifices of food and raw materials like ore
  • the geography is not yet worked out
  • this was thought of to combine a medieval setting with a sci-fi setting in an intresting way
General Introduction to the language and the world
The language goshpysheshta is spoken by humans on the world they call saza. This world – it is of course a celestial body, a planet – is ruled by the folks of divinity. At least this is how they are honourably adressed by the people on the planet surface. In fact, they are just a technological advanced part of the human race that once inhabited the planet. Nowadays, the divine part of the inhabitants lives in huge space stations far above the planet’s surface. The ‘normal’ folks live on the surface and breed the nourishment for their so-called gods.

These normal folks speak the language goshpysheshta. The gods understand it, but the two groups have separated so long ago, they now speak two totally different languages. Despite the fact that the normal folks are ruled by their gods, they have a considerable living: mostly, they will till the fields, care for the fruit trees and domesticate various kinds of animals for their leather, milk, eggs and whatsoever. They are a quite medival society, although a lot more peaceful. Everything is centered around the gods, because it is not a question of religious believe, like it is in our world. The gods actually exist and they come to demand their regular sacrifices.

The centuries and the many generations in space stations have changed the shape of the god’s bodies. They are very tall and slim. Often, they don’t like to go to the planet surface, because of the gravity they are not used to. For that reason and to prevent riots or anything, they developed special planetary suits. These suits provide them armor, strength and information. Also, they just appear far more impressive and frightening than they would without these full body mails.

As you can imagine, this imbalance in power has had a huge impact on the cultures of both sides. But since I’m working on the language of the medival folks on the planet surface, I will concentrate my little conworlding approach on that part for now.

The sacrifices on which the god’s are almost totally dependent on for their survival are the central part of the ‘earthly’ culture. There is an established religious institution, simply called the temple - ‘dathakhezhype’ – because there is no need to distinguish between different religions. This temple manages the sacrifices and organises their scheduling. The sacrifices itself work via teleportation. The custodian, sent from above, inspects the sacrifice and teleports it into the depots of the the space station. Of course, the people on the ground believe in the magic the god’s apply to have their sacrifice – but for the latter it is just a handy technology, because it’s comfortable and impressing at the same time. In that manner, almost all inhabitants of the planet work for the supply of the space station above without really knowing it. Actually, the knowledge that the two groups where once one is lost and also abandoned by the gods (of course – who wouldn’t in such a comfortable situation).

So the life of a simple individual on the planet’s surface is full of agricultural work with rather simple tools. Well, sometimes the gods provide ‘magical’ help in form of gadets and benefitting weather changes. But they avoid to give too much of their technology into the hands of their voluntary slave workers, to keep them from becoming too eager. The farthest step they took in providing their technology is in the provision of weaponry for the ‘judges’. These are individuals specially chosen by the temple, who are trained from a very young age on to police the inhabitants. For this task, they get a weapon of rather incredible power. These judges are consulted whenever there is an argument that cannot be solved. This action was implemented to avoid riots and to keep the internal balance of the society. Nevertheless, the judges are concerned with the planetary inhabitant and have no closer contact to the gods aswell.

How the gods became gods
Once upon a time, that means over 3000 years ago, the two divided groups where one. Basically, they inhabited the planet and lived more or less peacefully together. Actually, they got their technology quite far. Obviously, they had to develop space travel of some kind. The same way things went on our earth, things went on saza: First there were weapons, then there was space travel. War was, as it is in our world, a daily event. Somewhere there was war - all the time. When the hate grew stronger and the weapon arsenal became more and more devastating, some of the noblemen (the rich ones ;-) ) decided to flee and set up a space station. This idea became extremely popular as more and more leaders threatend their enemies with the use of weapons of mass destruction. Soon, the project was more a space village than a space station. Although their idea may seem very paranoid, their fears finally came true. While the planet's surface burned under fires hotter than the star the planet revolves around, the aristocrates were safe in their space stations, watching the horror from above.
So life became very hard on both sides. The surface was ruined, dark clouds of ashes and smoke darkened the atomsphere. People could only surve in cellars or bunkers. But, because life is unflinching, some of the people from the former surface survived and managed to survive. They found out how to gather food under those horrible conditions. The aristocrats had technical devices for this purpose, although they where in some concerns still dependend on surface goods like water and raw materials. But no matter how often they went down to get supply, they never felt the urge to settle the surface again, because it was just a desert of ashes and ruins.
So it came that the space colony grew faster and had a huge advance in technology. And with the years and generations to come, the visits of those aristocrats became more and more mystical to the folks on the planet until the aristorats managed to convince larger parts of the surface population of their divine nature.
So 'today', there are no remains of the old planetary culture that blew itself to death. At least nowhere on the surface...

NEW: The society on the planet
As we now know, the people on the surface started to believe in the supernatural powers of the space settlers. Due to two factors the knowledge of their "once been one"-history was lost. The first one is the huge amount of time that passed since the devastation of the surface. The second one is the lack of remains. They have been destroyed in the war and, when the space settlers realised their potential, have been destroyed by them to prevent the planetaries to find out about their past.

'Today' (still ~3000 years after), the society on the planet is virtually led by their rulers in the upper atmosphere. Because of the gods need for supply in forms of food and raw material, the gatherers of those, namely farmers and miners, are of the highest social rank. It is the duty of the farmer to bring a part of his crops for sacrifice. The farmer has to make sure that the goods he provides are of a high standard. Anyways, the farmer is often not the one who actually reaps and sows or domesticates and butchers. He is often the head of a larger group of people who work on a farm. These contain his family and workers from the temple and the villages around. The same holds for the mines and the forests. Although wood is a material that is used on the planet a lot, but rather seldom on the space station.
The temple plays an important role in the structure of the society. There are several different tasks the temple fulfills. First of all, the temple building is the place of worship. It is often near the sacrifce altars. Sometimes these altars are even be included in the temple site. But besides this infrastructure, the temple also coordinates the people. In every temple there is one zhakhisekittha, a custodian, who is the contact to the gods. He is the one who receives commands and demands directly. He is also responsible for carrying them out. It is normal and encouraged within society for teenagers of both sexes to go to the temple and offer their workforce there. With these kind of monks, who will work there for several years, the custodian can support the farmers to make sure the sacrifice will contain enough resources.
Most of the settlements are divided into districts, with each district having one temple. This makes the village where the temple in located an important place in the everyday life. These villages are often the biggest and wealthiest in the district.

To be continued.
Last edited by xijlwya on 05 Oct 2010 13:58, edited 3 times in total.
Ilaeriu
sinic
sinic

Re: my conworld: saza

Post by Ilaeriu »

Interesting premise! I've long thought of ways to merge a sci-fi and medieval setting, and this is quite a creative way to do it.

How does the teleportation technology work?
How many space stations are there? What is the population of the advanced people and the medieval people?
Are there/have there been wars waged internally? That is, have the advanced people ever made war on each other? Besides the judges, what do the "gods" do to settle disputes? If large groups begin quarreling, how would the gods settle the agreement without war breaking out?
What weapons have the gods developed?

The words are a bit long, but that's just my opinion. Ordinarily words that are very important or used very often will, over time, morph into something shorter and easier to pronounce. "dathakhezhype" sure is a mouthful for something that is central to their lives. In English we have very few everyday 5-syllable nouns (or 4, I'm not sure if that <e> at the end is silent or not), correct me if I'm wrong.

(in order of proficiency from greatest to least)
Native :eng: | Fluent :tgl: | Learning :esp: · :kor: · :zho: · :qbc: | Want to learn :lat: · :jpn: · :ara:
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I can think of some everyday five-syllable nouns, but they get shortened:

hippopotamus -> hippo
refrigerator -> fridge
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 88,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
rickardspaghetti
roman
roman

Post by rickardspaghetti »

Nice setting! I might actually read this.
そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
Spoiler:
Ǧ Š Ȟ Ž Č

ǧ š ŋ ȟ ž č
:swe: [:D] :vgtl: [:D] :eng: [:)] :ita: [:|] :lkt: [:'(]
xijlwya
sinic
sinic

Post by xijlwya »

Thanks everyone for the positive replies! It took a while until the thread was noticed :-o .

With the word dathakhezhype /daTax@z\Ep@/- yeah, I guess you are right - it's a compound, that's why it's so long. But probably, I will come up with a shortened version. Although I have to put german everyday words (it's my native language) into the discussion: What's with 'Waschmaschine', 'Fahrzeugpapiere', and 'Tragetasche' and so on and so forth. I guess german tends to make an extensive use of compound nouns - even in everyday language. Nevertheless, I agree, the dathakhezhype is too long. Conlinguistically (*lol*), I haven't decided on the way, how goshpysheshta handles compounds, but there is something in my head - I just have to figure the exact rules out - you probably know what I'm talking about ;). So it will be shorter soon - at least there will be a shortened version for spoken language.

Ilaeriu, you came up with so many intresting questions, I will try to answer briefly as far as have the world worked out yet.
Ilaeriu wrote:How does the teleportation technology work?
Of course, since I study physics, I cannot give an exact explanation, because that would drive me insane ;). What I can tell you is that it basically needs two things: A sender and a receiver, both being gadgets of some kind. Over short distances, it is possible to receive with out a sender, that means I can just teleport things around in a hangar or something alike. But when the distance grows larger, I need a kind of refocus. Because if I would not refocus, I would have things teleported, that were right next to the desired object. The teleport gets 'fuzzy' so to speak. All in all that means that someone from the space station has to come down on the planet surface to set the sender. If the receiver does not find the exact location, it may be likely to teleport a huge pile of dirt up into the food supply. Furthermore, the teleportation consumes a lot of energy, because the material is (in a mysterious way of course ;)) dissolved and brought to a state of transcending through material. This state requires huge amounts of energy to be 'pumped' into the matter to teleport. Also, the teleportation of moving objects that behave in an unpredicatable way (for example humans, as they slightly move their arms; or even food under the conditions of heavy wind) is dangerous - as the teleport may cut some parts of and leave them where they are. This is prevented by the planetary suits of the gods, because they include the sender module. This technical reason is probably the only one that keeps them coming back to the planet's surface.
Ilaeriu wrote:How many space stations are there? What is the population of the advanced people and the medieval people?
That is a fact I definitely have not figured out yet. However, the space station (it is one huge thing!) spans the whole planet. It is a everyday part of the celestial impression on the planet surface. For now, I think of a ring-like construction. Imagine Saturn's rings as a huge station that rotates around the planet to not fall into the centre of gravity.
Ilaeriu wrote:Are there/have there been wars waged internally? That is, have the advanced people ever made war on each other? Besides the judges, what do the "gods" do to settle disputes? If large groups begin quarreling, how would the gods settle the agreement without war breaking out?
Indeed, the gods intrigue a lot. These intrigues are the core part of the plot I'm coming up with. Of course, the gods know that their advanced living is heavily dependent on their social balance. Once they separate each other, they will lose their status. That's why they have councils and courts for a lot of things - again, this is left to be figured out in detail.
I must admit that I have not yet thought of any quarrels amongst the inhabitants of the planet. But, since they are human, they will likely quarrel. The judges solve small disputes - but what happens when there is a mob of people starting a riot... I have no idea yet :P
Ilaeriu wrote:What weapons have the gods developed?
For now, they have the staves that they give to the judges. These staves have a link to the brain of the bearer. Basically, the staves contain an artificial intelligence that learns to read the mind of the bearer and will refuse operation in case some else took the staff. Additionally, it can regulate the amount of destruction the weapon causes. The staff can shoot an explosive ball of energy (uuhh, blue plasma spheres... kinda cliché, but ammunition would suck) and it can give the bearer a shield protection against various kinds of attacks.
The gods use some ritual weapons in their sacrifice rituals. These are huge spears that have symbols carved into the shaft. In duels amongst the gods, they may be still used, but the duels a very seldom and are considered archaic.

---

Khemehekis, I wouldn't say that hippopotamus is a everyday word ;) - still it illustrates what you wanted to point out of course.
rickardspaghetti wrote:Nice setting! I might actually read this.
I appreciate it!
rickardspaghetti
roman
roman

Post by rickardspaghetti »

そうだ。死んでいる人も勃起することが出来る。
俺はその証だ。
Spoiler:
Ǧ Š Ȟ Ž Č

ǧ š ŋ ȟ ž č
:swe: [:D] :vgtl: [:D] :eng: [:)] :ita: [:|] :lkt: [:'(]
xijlwya
sinic
sinic

Post by xijlwya »

rickardspaghetti wrote:About teleportation...
:-D nice. Anyway, as I pointed out (maybe not clearly enough), teleportation does not work like that in my conworld. Quoting myself seems a little snobbish, but anyways:
xijlwya wrote: Furthermore, the teleportation consumes a lot of energy, because the material is (in a mysterious way of course ;)) dissolved and brought to a state of transcending through material. This state requires huge amounts of energy to be 'pumped' into the matter to teleport.
That means that material is not copied, but really sent. This of course requires a 'data' - or in this case - matter transfer of 100%. That's why teleportation has distance limits. It not possible for the gods to teleport to another planet. Probably they cannot even teleport from one side of the planet to the other.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Wormholes? Though they'd have to have some pretty hardcore energy generation to be able to make wormholes at whim...
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
aereastra
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by aereastra »

Furthermore, the teleportation consumes a lot of energy, because the material is (in a mysterious way of course ;)) dissolved and brought to a state of transcending through material. This state requires huge amounts of energy to be 'pumped' into the matter to teleport.
Only if it's approached in the wrong way... As in, the crude way of getting it done.
Same thing applies for current space travel. It's inefficient, cumbersome and consumes too much energy just to get it off the Earth. Better model: create a spacecraft that just purely works WITH 'gravity' to get it off the ground.

With quantum tunnelling, all one has to do is create a model that just simply creates interference points to resonate with the sender, then send. It's already been done in Tesla coils, if the receiver is able to resonate with the emitter. That's how his principle of wireless 'power' would work around the globe. No wires, no transformers and definitely no electric pylons!

Once people work out the actual physics behind quantum tunnelling, then it won't be long before someone can send a gift to their special someone via q-mail on their Quamputer.
"Why is it when you tell someone there are 4 billion stars , they believe it. But if you tell them that the paint is still wet, they have to touch it?"
Am I all that I am? Well, I am, that I am.
xijlwya
sinic
sinic

Post by xijlwya »

Hey aereastra!

Actually, I didn't want to go into this techincal matter too deep. I just wanted to state: It works, it consumes a lot of energy and it is a techincal privilege of the gods. I really don't care how it works exactly. Although, your thoughts are intresting. But I think, since teleportation is still impossible in our world, I'm free to think of any process how it could work. There is no *crude way* or anything.
Your proposal seems plausible in terms of todays physics - but I don't want to be too plausible in terms of physics anyway.

And Micamo,

I think the gods have indeed a hardcore energy source to make this teleportation possible. So probably I won't need the wormholes :D
Curlyjimsam
sinic
sinic

Post by Curlyjimsam »

My first thought on seeing your language was "that's a particularly nice-looking conlang" - the length of the words didn't really strike me. A lot of languages have some very long words, and English would have a lot of words that are a lot longer than they are if it wasn't for our habit of putting spaces in compounds.
The Man in the Blackened House, a conworld-based serialised web-novel
xijlwya
sinic
sinic

Post by xijlwya »

Curlyjimsam wrote:My first thought on seeing your language was "that's a particularly nice-looking conlang" - the length of the words didn't really strike me. A lot of languages have some very long words, and English would have a lot of words that are a lot longer than they are if it wasn't for our habit of putting spaces in compounds.
Thanks for the positive comment. Have a look here, where I started to post my language in detail. Actually, after playing around with several possible solutions for the lenghty-words-problem I decided to stick to those long words - and I just thought of the same habitual language perception of english-speaking people. They are probably not used to long compound words. In German, I'm quite used to such long words. So I'll keep them.
goneriku
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by goneriku »

Not too bad, although I have to admit it'd be more interesting to see more conflict.
Also, a better description of the planetary population's culture and society. Just saying they're "medieval" leaves me curious, and quite frankly makes it sound unpromising.
Anyways, while the people may perceive them as divine I hardly think the planetary peoples would always simply wanna give up their valuable food and resources. You'd expect resistance, even if only passive. As you said, humans are a resilient lot and don't tend to give up easily.
The idea of having "real" gods is cool, but not exactly a new one. You've already taken a unique bent on this, I'd like to see how you develop it further.

I'm also glad to hear you decided to keep the long words- as I was reading I was already thinking to tell you they are more than plausible enough.
Last edited by goneriku on 06 Oct 2010 19:14, edited 1 time in total.
L1: :eng: Learning: :por: :esp:
xijlwya
sinic
sinic

Post by xijlwya »

Hey goneriku!

Indeed, a conflict is what makes a setting interesting. Personally, I need a conflict to be able to write anything. Of course, as you pointed out, the description of the two groups is far from satisfying, because the conflict is not fihured out yet. But there will be one - I can assure you. Also, the issue with the rebellious character of the human kind deserves some consideration. It's my goal to create a plausible setting without 'loopholes' or illogical chains of events. I hate it when I see a character doing things in films or books that are not properly motivated. I'm thankful for your comment, because it points out the 'open wounds' that are still yearning for completion ('Vervollständigung' in German - also a quite long word, btw).

For now, I will focus on the language. But I feel that there will be a point soon where I have to massively build up the culture and history in order to find plausible expressions and wordings.

And thank you for pointing out your doubts about the whole thing. They reflect my own doubts about it and will guide my work in a considerable way.
goneriku
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by goneriku »

No problem, always willing to help.

And yes, I'd definitely recommend working out the culture before getting /too/ deep in the language, as it'll affect their lexicon, dialectualization and the such greatly.

I'd also like to suggest that you consider the whole god-human relationship more thoroughly. If you think about it, our Earthly religions don't have corporeal deities people interact with on a regular basis. What happens when the humans discover these "gods" are mortal (like the Mexica with Cortés?) How would the "gods" react to make sure they retain their power?
No system lasts forever, and it may be beyond your current scope but you may want to think about an eventual breakdown in the system and how your people will adapt. Maybe your "gods" will pit terran human factions against each other as part of their own conflict, or something like that.
xijlwya
sinic
sinic

Post by xijlwya »

goneriku wrote:I'd also like to suggest that you consider the whole god-human relationship more thoroughly. If you think about it, our Earthly religions don't have corporeal deities people interact with on a regular basis. What happens when the humans discover these "gods" are mortal (like the Mexica with Cortés?) How would the "gods" react to make sure they retain their power?
I just picked this one to comment one, because I don't have very much time at the moment. I think your question presupposes that the gods claim to be immortal. But what if they don't -if it's normal for gods to die?
Of course, people could try to kill gods that threaten them. But in fact, their armour and technology is far to mighty for the surface people to fight them. The people are given some agricultural devices and healthcare gadgets, but apparently no weapons - even if they would, those intelligent weapons would refuse to kill a god.
I thnik that the surface people have a similar relationship to the gods like the feudal japanese had to their emperor - a godlike yet mortal being.
goneriku
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by goneriku »

Good, good. Of course, they could make weapons but they'd obviously be pretty simple.
Look forward to hearing more, starting to sound more interesting ;-)
xijlwya
sinic
sinic

Post by xijlwya »

Yay, a new paragraph in the OP. And now some explanaition on the revolutionary minds.

The temple also trains so called judges. Those are especially talented young people, who are given a weapon by the gods. This staff is an intelligent weapon system which reads the bearers mind. The impact force of it can thus be influenced by just intention - if I don't want to hit hard, the staff won't hit hard. Bascially, it has to abilities: To shield the bearer and to shoot blazing hot rays from its top. The judges will be summoned whenever there is an argument that can not be solved by the parties themselves. The decision of the judge is a last word, that means, even if it's unfair or an advantage for one party, there will be no further argument. Their word can only be nullified by a custodian of the temple or the gods themselves.
The judges are trained from the age of 3 on to be empathic (no killing machines will be given a weapon like this) and to understand the gods will and the societies needs. They are the most educated part of the society. They can read the books and understand and even speak the language of the gods fluently.Their are like the physical embodiment of the law.

In the hierarchy the custodian in higher than the judge. That's why the judge is considered a normal monk on the premises of the temple.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

The "Gods" seriously rely on the surface-dwellers for supplies? If they have the technology for space travel and teleportation then I find it hard to believe they don't also have the ability to make their own food much more efficiently then the farmers down there could grow it. Of course there's always the law of association but reliance is a bit of a stretch.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
xijlwya
sinic
sinic

Post by xijlwya »

Micamo wrote:The "Gods" seriously rely on the surface-dwellers for supplies? If they have the technology for space travel and teleportation then I find it hard to believe they don't also have the ability to make their own food much more efficiently then the farmers down there could grow it. Of course there's always the law of association but reliance is a bit of a stretch.
OK, let me explain this briefly. Indeed, reliance is not very plausible (Although I don't understand what you want to say with the "law of association). But have a look at todays food: it is made in large-scale factories by machines. It is a mass product. And often, when you compare hand-made food to the 'factory food' you are used to, you notice a huge difference between the two. The gods found, that even scientifically the hand-made and 'naturally' grown food is just healthier. Above all that, the sacrifices are an integral part of the god-people-relationship. Even if the gods weren't dependent on it, they would still demand it.
Intrestingly, I jsut wanted to say that it is a waste of energy to produce food under the difficult conditions above the atmosphere, but then again I said that teleport takes a lot of energy... maybe I have to fix that.

But you are right - probably I have to flesh out that dependency more, because it is what the whole setting is based upon. So - there's more to come, but I have to go to the library now and write my bloody paper.