New conworld

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Arzemju
cuneiform
cuneiform

New conworld

Post by Arzemju »

Hi, i was bored yesterday with no internet and made a small conworld. It is a small planet (approx same size as Mars). The planet is a moon, belonging to earth. It is not inhabited by anyone or whatever, since actually it's only a map. If anyone want this for one of their conlang/conpeople's map, just ask :D

I made this in photoshop in 10 min. So if you want a map too, ask (provide a sample of the map if you can).
Fluent: :fra: :eng: | Learning: :esp: :tgl: :epo:
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Re: New conworld

Post by Micamo »

A planet as big as Mars probably wouldn't be able to encircle the Earth as a moon. The best you could get is a binary planet system (Similar to Pluto and Charon), with possibly the Earth's existing moon being in shared orbit around both of these to make kind of a ternary system. What type of stable orbits they could make is beyond me, I'm not good with physics.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Arzemju
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Arzemju »

Micamo wrote:A planet as big as Mars probably wouldn't be able to encircle the Earth as a moon. The best you could get is a binary planet system (Similar to Pluto and Charon), with possibly the Earth's existing moon being in shared orbit around both of these to make kind of a ternary system. What type of stable orbits they could make is beyond me, I'm not good with physics.
Ok, so new edit:

The planet is a little bit bigger than Pluto. (In this case, can it be a moon of earth?)
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Arzemju wrote:
Micamo wrote:A planet as big as Mars probably wouldn't be able to encircle the Earth as a moon. The best you could get is a binary planet system (Similar to Pluto and Charon), with possibly the Earth's existing moon being in shared orbit around both of these to make kind of a ternary system. What type of stable orbits they could make is beyond me, I'm not good with physics.
Ok, so new edit:

The planet is a little bit bigger than Pluto. (In this case, can it be a moon of earth?)
Definitely, as Pluto's mass is only 17% of the moon's. However a moon that small couldn't hold an atmosphere as it wouldn't be large enough to generate a magnetic field for long. As well its gravity would be incredibly tiny. So to support life naturally it'd have to orbit close enough to Earth to be within its magnetic field, and I'm not sure if a stable orbit could be had at those heights. Probably not.

Though if we're talking about an extra moon around the earth anyway it's probably one artificially created by humans, and a civilization capable of making artificial planets can certainly make it habitable by artificial means.

My shitty twitter
Arzemju
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Arzemju »

Hey i'm not expert in planets! :(

I just wanted to give a quick overview of how it should look compared to earth.

This planet, should be between 2700 - 3500 km.

If you can share your experience and help with technical stuff as Mass, pressure etc you're welcome :D
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Arzemju wrote:Hey i'm not expert in planets! :(

If you can share your experience and help with technical stuff as Mass, pressure etc you're welcome :D
I like using this set of calculators for designing planets' technical data. It's far from complete (orbital paths for binary systems, multiple-body hill spheres, and tidal locking distances are what I'd really like to see) but it gets the job done for the more mundane calculations.

As for something that size... there really is no way to give it enough mass to make it have a decent gravity for supporting life without making it unrealistically dense. Though like I said, if you're going with sci-fi then planetary construction, terraforming, and artificial magnetic fields and gravity are more than enough to hand-wave these details away.

My shitty twitter
Arzemju
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Arzemju »

Micamo wrote:
Arzemju wrote:Hey i'm not expert in planets! :(

I like using this set of calculators for designing planets' technical data. It's far from complete (orbital paths for binary systems, multiple-body hill spheres, and tidal locking distances are what I'd really like to see) but it gets the job done for the more mundane calculations.

As for something that size... there really is no way to give it enough mass to make it have a decent gravity for supporting life without making it unrealistically dense. Though like I said, if you're going with sci-fi then planetary construction, terraforming, and artificial magnetic fields and gravity are more than enough to hand-wave these details away.
What I thought was:

Some kind of asteroid or whatever got stuck into Earth magnetic field, and earth started to explore this. Then idk, earth could of created life in the planet...