What is your conpeople's greatest flaw?

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Aevas
admin
admin

Re: What is your conpeople's greatest flaw?

Post by Aevas »

Veris wrote:Crap. jseamus, are you AWandererOfTheLight? The guy with the foaming-at-the-mouth anti-psychiatry stance who derailed every topic into a debate about medical ethics on the old BB? And who bitched and moaned in every single topic that you can't make generalizations ever about anything or anyone even when you clearly label it as a generalization that isn't always true? Because that guy sucked, I don't wanna see him again.
Wasn't that Tanni?
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

Also
Micamo wrote:Because, after all, Ukranian is just a dialect of Russian.
wat
jseamus
greek
greek

Post by jseamus »

Aszev wrote:
wat
Sarcasm?
This is the world.
Bristel
sinic
sinic

Post by Bristel »

jseamus wrote:
Veris wrote:Crap. jseamus, are you AWandererOfTheLight? The guy with the foaming-at-the-mouth anti-psychiatry stance who derailed every topic into a debate about medical ethics on the old BB? And who bitched and moaned in every single topic that you can't make generalizations ever about anything or anyone even when you clearly label it as a generalization that isn't always true? Because that guy sucked, I don't wanna see him again.
No. My name is James, hence the nick. I have never used any other name. Here is my bio:

Things I Have Never Done on this Board
1. Foamed at the mouth
2. Expressed an opinion about (or even mentioned) psychiatry
3. Debated medical ethics
4. Moaned
5. Claimed that you "can't make generalizations ever about anything or anyone even when you clearly label it as a generalization that isn't always true"
6. Sucked
This guy sounds cool. *stamp of approval*
[bɹ̠ˤʷɪs.təɫ]
Nōn quālibet inīqua cupiditāte illectus hōc agō.
[tiː.mɔ.tʉɥs god.lɐf hɑwk]
jseamus
greek
greek

Post by jseamus »

I may have bitched a little, but I never moaned.
This is the world.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Aszev wrote:
Wasn't that Tanni?
That was my thought. The number of Veris vs. Tanni psychiatry/psychology/ethics arguments that turned up was weird. Wanderer, IIRC, was generally alright but never really saw much of them myself.
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Aszev wrote:Also
wat
Like I said, it was once popular in Europe to define nationality by language. All the German-speaking peoples, for example, should be united under one country. This was also one of the big reasons for the revival of Irish Gaelic, to give the successionists justification for wanting to split with England. Using this idea, Russia justified holding on to Ukraine with "Ukranian is a just dialect of Russian!" This is what I was referencing.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Toko
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Toko »

Veris wrote: So your conworld is a tirade against American Democrats from an American Republican viewpoint?
Con-culture, stepping outside the Hunzai reveals a quite different set of ideals. And it's not meant to be any sort of comment on any Earth culture.

Propaganda or not they haven't fought a war in 200 years, and have a comfortable position as the world's major farming and food center. They aren't likely to jeopardize themselves by taking sides in a conflict any time soon, especially against a fast-moving force like the Pochtu reactionaries.

War is glorified, but more in a "the Ikutsutsu was a noble war, and now we don't have to fight anymore" way.
Image Zelsian (Khzajske)
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

Micamo wrote:
Aszev wrote:Also
wat
Like I said, it was once popular in Europe to define nationality by language. All the German-speaking peoples, for example, should be united under one country. This was also one of the big reasons for the revival of Irish Gaelic, to give the successionists justification for wanting to split with England. Using this idea, Russia justified holding on to Ukraine with "Ukranian is a just dialect of Russian!" This is what I was referencing.
I'm perfectly aware of all that, but your point did not come across in your initial post.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

My ConPeople have no flaws. Your ConPeople are just too barbaric to understand the sophisticated, learnèd ways of my Culturally advanced people. Barbarians.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:My ConPeople have no flaws. Your ConPeople are just too barbaric to understand the sophisticated, learnèd ways of my Culturally advanced people. Barbarians.
I'l take that as a vote for arrogance. ;)
Veris
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Veris »

Micamo wrote:Except for the purely nominal differences you could apply that "analysis" to either party.
Exactly. Exchange "guns" with "fetuses," "scientists" with "homosexuals" and bada-bing!
jseamus wrote:
No. My name is James, hence the nick. I have never used any other name. Here is my bio:

Things I Have Never Done on this Board
1. Foamed at the mouth
2. Expressed an opinion about (or even mentioned) psychiatry
3. Debated medical ethics
4. Moaned
5. Claimed that you "can't make generalizations ever about anything or anyone even when you clearly label it as a generalization that isn't always true"
6. Sucked
Ah, my mistake then (though it does look like you're doing number five). What was that guys name?
Aszev wrote:Wasn't that Tanni?
Oh, yeah! That was him. Every single topic -- "you can't make generalizations like that, you're just a crazy evil psychiatry drone."
sangi39 wrote:That was my thought. The number of Veris vs. Tanni psychiatry/psychology/ethics arguments that turned up was weird. Wanderer, IIRC, was generally alright but never really saw much of them myself.
Lol, hey, I was just trying to ask the guy to quit derailing every topic. Thankfully he got bored or something and never made the transfer to the new board.
Toko wrote:Con-culture, stepping outside the Hunzai reveals a quite different set of ideals. And it's not meant to be any sort of comment on any Earth culture.
Ah, okay. My mistake.
á (0225); í (0237); ú (0250); é (0233); ó (0243)
Á (0193); Í (0205); Ú (0218); É (0201); Ó (0211)
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

"Thankfully he got bored or something and never made the transfer to the new board"

Actualy he did make it to this board. He's spent most of his time on the "Introductory linguistics for conlangers " thread in L&N.
Just one time.
jseamus
greek
greek

Post by jseamus »

sangi39 wrote: he did make it to this board. He's spent most of his time on the "Introductory linguistics for conlangers " thread in L&N.
And not a mention of psychiatry yet in that thread. In fact, this is only thread that mentions it at all, and Veris brought it up in here. Weird.
This is the world.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

But anyway, back to the original topic. My conculture's not wholly developed enough yet beyond the basics of their clan/caste/class system and rules regarding marriages, servants, slaves and concubines and it depends on what you'd call a "flaw" anyway. From the list just there on flaw from the perspective of a modern western European stand-point at the very least is the presence of slavery and concubines resulting from warfare in the case of the former and attempts at resolving political disputes in the case of the latter.

Additionally, the death penalty exists, something which could be considered a flaw from at least my perspective (as a member of a country where the death penalty has been outright abolished, the UK). Given the lack of large-scale political unity amongst the Teutas, the death penalty can be used from something as specific as intentional murder of more than one person to a broader range of crimes including infidelity, theft and in extreme cases sexual relationships between members of different castes.

Another rather general flaw is the lack of gender equality amongst Teutas culture. A women, in general, isn't capable of having financial independence or owning land owning land and as a result must move into their husband's household. Despite this, however, women are treated equally in legal matters such as cases of infidelity (since both her and her lover have offended her husband, not just her), murder, theft, etc. I'm trying to work out whether any exceptions might arise in some cases, for example trespassing, hunting on someone elses land or in general, etc.

One final flaw is the lack of say a member of the non-elite castes have in the politics of their clan. Across Teutas clans, the political elite, in the form of a clan council, forms a distinct caste and thus not drawn from the wider masses. Clan leaders, however many there may be, are then drawn from the clan council through a range of methods depending on the clan. Some people inheret the title from their father, others are elected from his father's, grandfather's or great-grandfather's descendents while others are elected from amongst the clan council as a whole, regardless of realtion to the old clan leader. Others undertake various tasks to prove their worth and in a number of cases we find mixed methods, e.g. members of the clan leader's family being elected to power rather than inhereting it or the old leader's son having to undertake various tasks before he can take power, etc. In other words, Teutas political culture is defined by a lack of what we would call "democracy" and relies solely on the actions of a permanent and unelected politcal elite.

These aren't seen as flaws in and of themselves within Teutas society, at least by the majority. A small class within the elite caste known as the "learned elite" can in some cases act as a means of pointing out potential flaws within the political and societal systems within the clan. They're kind of like a cross between philosophers and political commentators and to what degree they actually disagree with the existing systems is often down to the individual and in the majority of cases they larelgy have no political say whatsoever acting more in an advisory role to the clan council, if they interact at all. In other words, their potentially greatest slaw is not really looking at their possible flaws.
Just one time.
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Pe King »

factoid: the bible hints that Adam standing next to Eve in the fall of man. YET he didn't stop her. I guess woman still got the blame because she could've stopped herself.
One just isn't enough.

I am praying for you all, with sincerity and on occasion gritted teeth.

Mathew 5:43-44

I seldom think before I speak.
That requires patience, an art I have little practice in.

-Pe King, I hope.
zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos »

Umbras: Homophobic, Open to new ones too much
Formicas: Pompus, arrogant
Visit the growing Conlang Wiki!
Let's Play Channel: EmperorZelos
kadani
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by kadani »

Rejistanis are racists. At least to a point. Not the 'kill all Jews' kind of racism but the 'Irish people need not apply' kind – even though it is illegal to discriminate based on race or ethnicity according to the constitution.
Q: Il'isa sike'han suntes?
A: Xe'isa sike'han Sike'tes... kali.

In contrast to popular perception, I do have a life. I just choose to spend it conlanging.

Fluent: :deu: :eng:, intermediate: :epo:, learning: :rus:, interested in :tur: :con: Volapük
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

kadani wrote:Rejistanis are racists. At least to a point. Not the 'kill all Jews' kind of racism but the 'Irish people need not apply' kind – even though it is illegal to discriminate based on race or ethnicity according to the constitution.
Good thing real life isn't like this! ;)
kadani
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by kadani »

Ossicone wrote:
kadani wrote:Rejistanis are racists. At least to a point. Not the 'kill all Jews' kind of racism but the 'Irish people need not apply' kind – even though it is illegal to discriminate based on race or ethnicity according to the constitution.
Good thing real life isn't like this! ;)
Real life is more subtle about it. Also, at least in my home country, it is not against people from the same country, just other ethnic backgrounds. No person from NRW would refuse to sit next to someone he'd identify as Bavarian just for that reason.

BTW: the race, which suffers most from this are the Kireshi, white people who immigrated into Rejistania due to a catastrophe in their homeland.
Q: Il'isa sike'han suntes?
A: Xe'isa sike'han Sike'tes... kali.

In contrast to popular perception, I do have a life. I just choose to spend it conlanging.

Fluent: :deu: :eng:, intermediate: :epo:, learning: :rus:, interested in :tur: :con: Volapük