Floating World

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Pe King
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Floating World

Post by Pe King »

A person with strong lungs forces air into their cheeks. Then when the heat is to much they let the air out and there is a fash of light and steam. It is often a write of passage.
One just isn't enough.

I am praying for you all, with sincerity and on occasion gritted teeth.

Mathew 5:43-44

I seldom think before I speak.
That requires patience, an art I have little practice in.

-Pe King, I hope.
Jarhead
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Jarhead »

Let me start off saying that the idea you had is actually ambitious, but cool. But you have to realize that you are not just creating a conworld, you are writing about a completely different universe, with its own laws of physics. If you are serious about that and want to make it you main project to carry on, you should think deeply about how your statements affect the entire universe you are working on. For example: I assume you're universe is finite and not expanding, otherwise the gases couldn't fill it all, and for sure couldn't make pressure. So your universe is like a baloon filled with stuff?
The world has the same elements as we do.
It looks quite difficult! Especially comparing what you are saying here to you latter statement about the gas that makes heat and light.
If there aren't planets, where do people live? On asteroid-sized floating objects? Can they go around from a mini-planet to another?
Keep up the work, you might come up with an alternative physics system in the end ;)
L1: :ita:
Fluent (on a good day): :eng:
Written: :lat:
Beginner: :esp:
Working on: :con: ~ Eil
zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos »

what is the mechanism that causes gravity tto cease working when matter changes state of matter?

and what about plasma?

how was stars first formed and how did planets get water and more?
Visit the growing Conlang Wiki!
Let's Play Channel: EmperorZelos
sirgryfang
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by sirgryfang »

Also something to to consider is how sublimation works ... or even if it happens at all.
Just try not to make the physics all based off arbitrary rules, but of planning and consideration about the mechanics
I hope to see you soon, and we will talk face to face.
zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos »

and lets not forget what one said before, if the universe is static then why isnt things collapsing?

Einsteins theory of relativity only allows 2 optoins, collapsing or expanding universes.

and if solid bodies are stuck where they are they will collapse toward each other
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

zelos wrote:and lets not forget what one said before, if the universe is static then why isnt things collapsing?

Einsteins theory of relativity only allows 2 optoins, collapsing or expanding universes.

and if solid bodies are stuck where they are they will collapse toward each other
If you hadn't noticed his universe doesn't follow GR's rules of gravity.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
zelos
greek
greek

Post by zelos »

Micamo wrote:
zelos wrote:and lets not forget what one said before, if the universe is static then why isnt things collapsing?

If you hadn't noticed his universe doesn't follow GR's rules of gravity.
he only states that it applies to solid objects so far so my question is valid for solid objects, even newton would predict the same
Veris
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Veris »

I like this concept, Pe King. It's like a three-dimensional version of the disc-like Bluestar I'm working on. Someone mentioned Super Mario Galaxy earlier, heh, you'd probably like that game. It has planetoids that work like in your conworld here. It's pretty neat; if you get a fast enough running jump, you can even launch yourself into an orbital pattern around a small-enough planetoid.

Anyway, I find that my conworlding efforts, especially for bizarre worlds like yours, are always helped by a good understanding of real-world physics, if only for points of comparison during explanations. It might interest you to know - if you don't already, I don't wanna presume - that gravity isn't the only force that holds things together. Gravity is, to put it one way, interactive; it's what causes one object with mass to affect another object with mass. However, any given object isn't held together with gravity. Which I guess is pretty obvious -- if you put an object into zero gravity, it doesn't fling apart into its constitutent molecules.

What this means for your conworld is that, well, you said you revised liquids so that they don't generate gravity, and as such they take the form of fog or clouds when inbetween gravitied objects. That's not necessary -- it's entirely possible for you to have liquids remain in a liquid state when inbetween fields of gravity, because it's not gravity that holds water together, it's the interactions of the molecules of water themselves. In fact, in your conworld, one neat feature you could have would be water worlds -- "planetoids" consisting solely of water. Imagine; globes of water a thousand miles across. They'd be "deeper" than Earth's oceans! Imagine all the incredibly cool, exotic animals you could dream up to live in such an environment. And since water doesn't generate gravity, water pressure wouldn't increase closer to the center of the globe, so you wouldn't have to worry about creatures getting crushed to death from intense pressure.

Another thing you might be interested to read up on, if you haven't; luminiferous aether. It's like your "exotic gas;" a supposed gas-like carrier of light (though not heat).

Keep the ideas coming, I love unusual conworlds like these.
á (0225); í (0237); ú (0250); é (0233); ó (0243)
Á (0193); Í (0205); Ú (0218); É (0201); Ó (0211)
KiKi Tampusa
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by KiKi Tampusa »

I know that gravity holds all of the matter together it is an issue of how to make it work for me.

I came up with this world about three years ago, I just put it on a tangible format when I posted.

The Exotic gas is composed of spheres that are like giant neutrons. When they get close they release energy in an effort to repel each other, releasing heat and light. I am conflicted about whether the waves that cause day and night should emanate from the center of this world and and radiate to the edge. Or if the waves should be disc shaped and travel in continuous everlasting circles around and around the world.
What are Klingon speakers doing? They are engaging in intellectually stimulating language play. They are enjoying themselves for languages sake, art for art’s sakes. And like all committed artists, they will do their thing, critics be damned.
Arika Okrent
KiKi Tampusa
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by KiKi Tampusa »

zi have decided to revive this world.
What are Klingon speakers doing? They are engaging in intellectually stimulating language play. They are enjoying themselves for languages sake, art for art’s sakes. And like all committed artists, they will do their thing, critics be damned.
Arika Okrent
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I thought you were going to be talking about
this
and this.