Yonataoran Religions

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: Yonataoran Religions

Post by Shemtov »

On leap day they usually repeat the 8th Ode:
O Theos, I shall praise you,
But I shall praise you,
By speaking of the foolishness of the heaven-worshippers.
How can wind and storms be one [deity]
And the sun and moon others?
Would they not rebel against him?
Would they not be rivals?
Have you ever seen the sun rise in the west?
Or the moon not fulfil its cycle?
Would not this rebelliousness arise, if you were not speaking blasphemy?
Is it not Theos who commands the sun and moon, the wind and storms,
And make them work in concert?
He orders them, makes them have an order.
The sun warms the earth, so is the earth under a different [deity] ala?
It completes its circuit for its master,
And the moon does too.
He made the sun for seasons and years,
And the moon for divisions [months], ara!
Indeed, Theos shall not make them change,
As much as righteousness does not change.
Theos, may I be as a righteous servant to you
As the sun, moon, wind and storms are your righteous servants-
They do your will unerringly, so may I!
Note that the leap years follow a 24-year cycle, with (as in the Julian and Gregorian) the 4th, 8th, 12th, and 16th being leap years- leap day being an added day to the end of the year. But the 20th year is a regular year, and the 24th year has two leap days.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: Yonataoran Religions

Post by Shemtov »

Odes in the context of the Mikhonic canon:
In the Book of Laws, Mikhon is instructed to have five books "of him" written: Laws, which is how the kingdom should be run morally and ritually, Apokolifis, visions of heaven and the future, and Wisdom, a collection of sayings that would help the Laws be applied, these three being said to be given to him word for word by an angel on the First Neos Stefanos. He was also to be given a gift of "odes, hymns and prayer", which his heir, given inspirational guide, should collect 365 of them to canonize (Odes), and that his heir, under the same guide should write a Hagiography of (Life of Mikhon).

This was actually a collection by a later King from four strands of Yonataoran Monotheism: Moralists (The M-Source), who believed that the only thing needed to be justified by Theos was a private moral code, Ritualists (R-Source), who believed a class of priests should preside over rituals, The Kingly Faction (K-source), who said that a king was needed for the individual's guidance in the moral code, and the only rituals needed were to be done by the King, and Kingly Ritualists (KR source),who were a fusion of the Ritualists and the Kingly Faction, saying the King was high priest.

Laws was mostly compiled from R and KR, with some notable passages being M and K in nature. Apokolifis was mostly KR, with some K passages. Wisdom was mostly M, with K and KR strands being used as a framing device, and for some passages, with a few possible R portions. Life of Mikhon was pure KR, except a few legends from K were added. Odes was a mix of M (such as Ode 8) KR (Ode 1) and K (90, with some KR edits), with maybe five from the R source.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien