Yonataoran Religions

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: Yonataoran Religions

Post by Shemtov »

The next half of that Homily, that talks about Noah:
41. And Adam lived for a century and a millennium passed. 42.And the sons of Adam corrupted themselves, killing animals for food and drinking wine 43. (For the Prince of Lies had scattered the seeds of the wine-vine throughout the world.) 44. And they worshiped the Prince of Lies, and the angels that drove out Adam as deities besides me. 45. So I sent a soul named Noah to be born and rebuke them. 46. But they did not listen to him, and mocked him and his families. 47. So I told him to build an ark, and take his wife and three sons and their wives on board, 48. And all animals, to service him. 49. He did so, and I promised him that the earth will grow plants afterwards, but the wine-vine will be gone. 49. And he prostrated himself, and boarded the ark, and I sent a deluge, 50. Drowning all corrupt sons of Adam, 51. And quenching the fire that consumed where I made Adam. 52. The deluge was finished, and Noah went to the land where Adam was made, and called it Ta'or 53. (Meaning "Chosen [land]" in the divine language) 54. And he and his sons feasted on the first Saturday night, as Adam did. 55. And he grew vines saying: "These will not get me drunk, so eating them will rectify the sin of Adam. 56. But the Prince of Lies approached him and said "So says Theos, 57 Who I am an angel of, 58. Your thoughts are correct, and I must teach you how to make the grape juice sweet beyond sweet." 59. But Noah refused saying "Maybe you are the Liar, and this will make the juice into wine." 60. And the Liar laughed: "Who heard of such a thing?" 61. And five years passed, and every day the Liar came to Noah. 62. So he [Noah] said: "If you are the Prince of Lies, would you not have given up? 63. Woe to me, for I refused the messenger of Theos. 64. Teach me this method." So the Liar taught him. 65. And I was patient with him, hoping he would realize he was making wine. 66. But he did not realize, and made wine and drank it. 67 And the Prince of Lies said:So says Theos, 68. Now that sweet juice has been made, I desire a sacrifice of a lamb. 69. As Noah was drunk, he listened. 70. And I sent an angel to his sons "Your father has sinned! 71. Take this dew and pour it over his eyes to restore him to his senses." And they did so. 72. And Noah said "Woe to me! 73. Will Theos forgive again? 74. But I spoke to my angels: "A Decree! 75. I will create an uncorruptible soul to guide the sons of Adam and Noah, 76. And I will look into the future, and make in the same instant [as the soul] my Logos, a book, the Theologos." 77. And I had Adam come out of his grave and come to Noah. 78 So Noah said: "Woe to me! 79. Father Adam is here to drag me down to the grave". 79. I spoke to them: "Not so, 80. For have created an uncorruptible soul to guide the sons of both of you, 81. And I have looked into the future, and made in the same instant [as the soul] my Logos, a book, the Theologos. 82. And the soul will come down five times, and on the fifth time my Logos, a book, the Theologos will be with him. 83. And every time he is on Earth, you two will be reincarnated to help him. 84 Except for the first time, so he may reign at first alone" 85. So the two of them bowed. 86 And Adam returned to his grave and Noah lived another century. 87. Thus, a new order was established: That of the Chosen Soul, and my Logos, a book, the Theologos.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Another Homily of the Theologos, "The Prohibition of Meat" (not sure which number):
1 A Homily from Theos, of his Logos, the Theologos: 2.Listeners and readers who believe! Hearken to my command 3. Do not harm any animal; do not cause them pain. 4. Do not cause any pain to them, [even when] they work for you. 5. For such they have been set aside: To bear the burden of mankind. 6. But not to Kill! 7. Who would be so cruel to hurt animals, who indeed possess feelings? 8. And who would eat their meat, when they are dead? 9. Do not be so cruel to kill them, unless they threaten you. 10. And even then, do not eat the meat [so] cruelty will not enter you. 11. And lust for flesh. 12. Causing you to kill animals, 13. Which is like murder, 14. For animals have feelings, 15. And causing the death any such creation is murder. 16. And eating their meat is like imbibing alcohol, 17. Causing confusion. 18. Even if you do not feel it, it is spiritual confusion. 19. I created you, so I know you will say: 20. "How can meat be forbidden? 21 Why does it taste so good to us" 22. But this is but a test.23. I created you, so I know you will say: 24. "Did not Mikhon and Yiseryel, who you say are the chosen soul command sacrifices?" 25. Far from it! 26. Mikhon's children entered dire straits in the days of Orikhalkos. 27. So Fotopuros was attracted after meat, and sacrifices.28. And Yiseryel preached against it. 29. But his helper were assassinated, and it was covered up. 30. And part of it was to add sacrifices. 31. The words are corrupted! 32. Hearken to my command. 33. And you will be blessed on the day of judgement 34. The day when the Liar is defeated. 35. The day when the Chosen is victorious. 36. The day of Righteousness. 37. Hearken to my command! 38. Then you will not have to fear on that day.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Another religious movement, which is loosely- very loosely- inspired by Mormonism, though only via the idea of LDS's D&C and Books of Abraham and Moses in The Pearl of Great Price, is Aslanism.
It was started by a "settled" Man of Theos named Aslan, who, given his namesake, gave much attention to The Book of Ta'or, which, despite the name, mostly revolves around the Saint Aslan, who was the ancestor of Mikhon, and was heir to Ta'or's Monotheistic settlement where the Yonataorans later settled (Note that the Book of Ta'or is a depaganazation of an oral, legendary history of the non-Greeks living in Ta'oria before Mikhon arrived, modified to connect with Mikhon, by saying he was "destined" to return to Ta'oria, given his patrilineal line was Ta'orian, not Greek, as the modifications after the depaganazation claimed.). This later Aslan was stricken by the fact his "settlement" was on a stream in the north of the Ta'oria Province, and the Book of Ta'or mentions how Aslan's pursuers were struck sick by Theos after crossing a stream in the same area, when he recovered Ta'or's head from the the latter's murderer, Skutias, so it may be buried with the rest of his body.

The later Aslan (from here on MoT Aslan- for Man of Theos- as opposed to St. Aslan) claimed that it was the same stream, and later claimed prophecy, saying he was also a descendant of St. Aslan, and that he would offer the Mikhonians an "extra covenant" to increase their standing in the afterlife. MoT Aslan said that based on a verse in The Book of Timotheos, those men that joined this extra covenant would be resurrected as a fighting force to help The Chosen in the End War (their wives would arise, too), and that they (and their wives) would afterward be immortal. To enter the covenant, one had to offer a Sacrifice on MoT Aslan's altar, and be "baptized" in the stream by those appointed by MoT Aslan. MoT Aslan would appoint them by taking those he had "baptized" himself and touching their forehead with an ungloved right hand. His right hand had to be gloved, unless with Theos' permission, as it was imbued with "the living spirit of The Covenant of St. Aslan", and he claimed to be able to preform miracles with it.Those in the extra covenant had to live on the settlement, and be buried right outside it. They could only leave for "special" circumstances, and had to hear the weekly"reading of Mikhonic Covenant Scripture" on the day of the week MoT Aslan chose that week, from MoT Aslan himself. They also had to celebrate extra feast days, and fast on the day MoT Aslan claimed St. Aslan died, and all meat they ate had to be sacrificial. Their children were given opportunity to adopt "standard Mikhonic life" or be "Baptized" when reaching majority. When MoT Aslan was to die, he was to remove his glove and press it to his successor's right hand, passing "the spirit" to him.

MoT Aslan codified these in an evolving book called The Book Of The Covenants and Commands of St. Aslan. He also claimed to have found buried in the settlement, three "Testimonies" The Testimony of St. Aslan , The Testimony of Mikhon and The Testimony of Yiseryel , as he taught that Yiseryel was but a herald of MoT Aslan, whose mention of an "Extra Covenant" was severely misinterpreted by both the King an Yiseryel's followers. He also established his movement soon after the death of Tasimon, and produced The Account of the Fall of Tasimon , which claimed Tasimon was supposed to be another herald but was tested by "The Prince of Lies", which drove him to "write blasphemies" instead of taking his actual role.
-JRR Tolkien
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Kinda realistic-ish or realism-simulating. Verisimilitude, in other words. —— Creative, too!
(IMHO).
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Note that The Account of the Fall of Tasimon was not so much a potshot at Tasimonism, but rather an answer to those who claimed that MoT Aslan was attempting a syncretism of Orthodox Mikhonism and Tasimonism, the latter of which he was mostly ignorant of, other then it was a "blasphemous" sect, that because it was a form of Monotheism, was allowed to function with some penalties. There were some Coincidences between the Aslanic Cult, and Tasimonism, the latter of which's Theologos contained a whole homily recasting the story of The Book of Ta'or, and other homilies referencing it heavily. There was also the aspects of demanding life in at least part of Ta'oria, MoT Aslan's insistence that all meat be sacrificial being seen as a watered down version of Tasimonian veganism, and the acceptance of Yiseryel as being someone important, though his message was corrupted. Thus The Account of the Fall of Tasimon was a way of answering those charges, by "admitting" the coincidences were not so, Tasimon was righteous at first, knew some details of MoT Aslan's coming, but due to temptation and "madness" "wrote blasphemies"
Last edited by Shemtov on 18 Sep 2019 06:06, edited 1 time in total.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

An extract from The Testimony of Mikhon
A Testimony, by Mikhon, first King of The Yonataoran Empire, who entered into a covenant with almighty ADON THEOS, making him and his people the Chosen from the Unchosen.

When Theos first spoke to me, he told me of things I could not publicize. But he said that I will go on a campaign to the north, and camp at a stream on the Summer Equinox. Then I was to dig up a box, that an ancestor of mine, who did live here, buried, by the bank of the stream. For I am not of Greek origin, in truth. My ancestor was Aslan, the loyal worshiper of Theos, who fought to make Ta'oria also be worshipers of ADON THEOS. But he was slain, and his son, Iyetadon, fled to Ionia. And thus I was destined to return here

Thus, in the course of time, the story of my ancestor will be added to my covenant's sacred texts. And all will know of it.

But another line from Aslan will arise, and produce another Aslan, known as "Man of Theos". He will offer an extra covenant to my people, and the worthy will join.......

........Theos, how I await the day when my ancestors story is told. My sons' sons will rejoice, saying: Praise Theos, for he led the path of my father toward our father, ara. And the name of my ancestor will become great again. It will be regaled with praise to Theos, he will be a Saint, ara. Then, my flesh pines more for the day when the Man of Theos will come. The gift of a future rising and eternal life shall be his. All who see his truth will be enraptured with praise: Hail, Man of Theos, and Hail, King of the line of Mikhon, you are joined this day, ara.....
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

The first two chapters of The Apokalifis of Mikhon:
1. I, Mikhon was sleeping alone on my bed, when I was awakened by a great light 2. And a man whose eyes flashed fire and arms were of most brilliant gold inset with diamonds 3. was standing in front of me, yet I was not afraid. 4. And he spoke: "Mikhon, I am the angel of Theos, Naurayel", 5. And he gave me the Book of Laws and [the book] of Wisdom. 6. and then said: It is fitting that you shall be shown the heavens. | 7. And another like him descended, and said "I am the angel of Theos, Thoryel. 8. We shall ascend together 9. But before we ascend, I shall tell you of the structure: 10. There are seven heavens. 11. The lower three are what is seen by men. 12. The middle three are of Souls. 13. And the highest is the City of Angels.| 14 And he grasped me by my hand and we ascended to the lowest heaven. 15 And he told me to mark well that Angels, by the order of Theos, were there preparing pleasent winds for the sailors, 16. And good rain for the farmers, 17. And would open the Clouds for the day of Sun. 18. And we ascended to the second heaven, 19. And he old me to mark well that Angels, by the order of Theos, were there preparing storm winds to upset the sailors, 20. And flooding rains to upset the farmers, 21. And snow and hail to upset the travelers of the Land. 22 And thunder and lightning, and all manner of storm-clouds. 23. And we ascended to the Third Heaven. 24. There were the sun, moon and all the stars, and all their angels. |
Chapter II
1. And we ascended through a veil, for all heavens above the third have a veil below them. 2. And the fourth heaven was darkness, yet smelled pleasent, like burning pleasent incense. 3. He spoke: "This is where those souls who merit neither the Heavens above, nor Hell, rest until the day of Judgement" 4. We ascended through a veil, and there was a garden, 5. And he spoke: "This is where the souls of the righteous of the unchosen rest, 6. You had ancestors who worshipped Theos, they approach". 7. And they sang:
"Blessed is he who comes with the leave of Theos
8. This is the day we hoped for, praise Adon Theos
9. Blessed be him, and our hopes our not abandoned by him"|
10. And we ascended through another Veil, and Thoryel took some of it as a blindfold for me, for I could not see the sixth heaven. 11. And it smelled of frangrance beyond frangance and I heard singing:
12. "Hear, all ye saints, Adon Theos is one!
13. We shall sing to him, he, exalted greatly, Adon Theos
14. Our Strength and our song is with Adon Theos
15. Who indeed is like him, him, mighty Adon Theos?
16. There is no other like him, him, mighty Adon Theos
17. Our Strength and our song is with Adon Theos
18. Blessed are those for whom this is so, blessed are those Chosen by Adon Theos."
19. Then Thoryel spoke: "This is where the righteous among the Chosen sit. 20. But be not be disturbed, for blessed also blessed are those Chosen from the unchosen by Adon Theos". 21. I heard some of their discussions, but he permitted me not to write them down. 22. And I heard some of them eat, and every bite released more frangrance. 23. Thoryel spoke: "Gird yourself, prepare for the Seventh, Highest, Heaven, the City of Angels!" |
-JRR Tolkien
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Ooh, I want to hear what's in the City of Angels!

(Besides quinoa-eaters with tattoos and mohawks, of course.)
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Chapter III:
1. We ascended to the City of Angels, the highest heaven. 2. And it was a square with its corners to the cardinal directions. 3. On each corner there was a tower, 4 On top of which was a ladder leading to a platform of diamond. 5. And the floor and the towers were of gold. 6. And we approached the west tower, the tower of Rafyel, and entered it. 7. There the angels prepared the cures which Theos would tell them to bring to the afflicted of the living, whose affliction was due to pass. | 8. We approached the north tower, the tower of Gābiriyel, and entered it. 9. And in it was a great forge, and weapons were being made. 10. Thoryel spoke: "Theos is angered by the wicked at all times, 11. So these judgement weapons are made and stored, 12. And when he turns his wrath against the wicked, he commands the angels of the north [tower] to come forth, armed, 13 To execute vengeance upon the wicked, when the time is proper."| 14. We approached the east tower, the tower of Nauryel, and entered it. 15. There Nauryel stood before a great light, 16. And before him were baskets of prayers, 17. And he took the light and placed it on the prayers. 18. And cast them up to Theos.| 18. We approached the east tower, the tower of Mēkyel, but did not enter it. 19. For it would be too great for me to bear. 20. But I heard the angelic hosts within sing as follows:
21. Holy in Kindness is Theos!
22. Holy in Judgement is Theos!
23. Holy in Righteousness is Theos!
24. Legions of Angels he commands; we are glad to do his word.
25. He controls all in the heavens and on Earth.
26. Great is his eminence.
27. Fortunate is all creation when he rests his eminence in its place.
28. He shall reign in holiness
29 For Holy in Kindness is Theos!
30. He shall reign in holiness
31 For Holy in Judgement is Theos!
32 He shall reign in holiness
33. For Holy in Righteousness is Theos!|
34. Then we returned to the tower of Nauryel, 35 And climbed the ladder leading to the platform of diamond. 36. And there was a wall of rubies, sapphires, and emeralds all about, with a gate in each corner. 37. I heard an angel approach, and he spoke: 38. "I am Amtētyel, guardian of these gates, which, you, mortal, cannot enter. 39. Theos rests his eminence here. 40. And when he does, the city trembles, 41. And I blow a trumpet, and the angels fear and rejoice. 42. And all recite this song:
43 Holy in Kindness is Theos!
44. Holy in Judgement is Theos!
45. Holy in Righteousness is Theos!
46. Legions of Angels he commands; we are glad to do his word.
47. He controls all in the heavens and on Earth.
48. Great is his eminence.
49. Fortunate is all creation when he rests his eminence in its place.
50. He shall reign in holiness
51 For Holy in Kindness is Theos!
52. He shall reign in holiness
53 For Holy in Judgement is Theos!
54 He shall reign in holiness
55. For Holy in Righteousness is Theos!
56. And all angels hasten to hear his word. 57. And when the day of judgement arrives, the heavens of souls shall vanish. 58. And the righteous will sing that song. 59. Living in this city, those of the fifth heaven in the plaza below, and those of the sixth heaven on this platform." 60. And Thoryel entrusted me to Nauryel, to descend, where I would be shown visions of the future.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

One Mikhonic festival that was looked forward to was Sofoparakheimonas, a winter festival that marked the day Mikhon learnt from "The Priest of the Nation of Yiseryel" about monotheism, while wintering in "The Land of Yiseryel". The day was marked by Dramatic Productions of stories from the Haigoghafos, and at night, a rich man would invite the village to a communal feast, where he would dress as "The Priest of the Nation of Yiseryel", and scatter small coins for adults, and nuts for children. The main dish was a pie called "Sofoparakheimona Kreasklerotraktos" made from a pastry called "Sklerotraktos", stuffed with poultry and cured meat, and flavored with dill and mustard.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

How the Haigoghafos was canonized:
According to the Book of Laws, any book that a Mikhonic King received a prophecy that it should be written, would be put in the Haigoghafos. However, by the time of Timotheos, various disputes arose about some books, some sections of some books, and some textual variations. Timotheos, in addition to declaring no new books would be added, made an official decree of the list of books, and the text. Books or sections of books that were removed, but he declared to be true, just not inspired, were put in a special collection called "Ektolethiaghafos", which could be used for their reflection on the canon. Such books included "The Deathbed Address of Mikhon" (Which was part of The Life of Mikhon in some places) and "The Confession of Koikoilos", a warlord hostile to Mikhon who converted to Mikhonism upon seeing miracles (the story is in The Life of Mikhon, but this gives his perspective after the fact).
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

A selection from the Yiseryelian scriptures, the Lead Up to the "Preaching in the Field" The Life of Yiseryel:
Yiseryel and his men were approaching the capital, and they were walking by the edge of a field, and Dikelaos [The senior priest of Yiseryel's home town, who had been his right-hand man] stumbled, and he said "What is this I have stumbled over?" And Yiseryel said "A drunk man". Yiseryel took some water and sprinkled it on the man's mouth, and he stirred from his drunkenness. Yiseryel said to him "Tell the people who you are, greatly beloved man". The man replied: "I am not greatly beloved by anyone. I was sold [illegaly] as a babe to be a slave to Euponos, who owns many fields here. He named me shamefully Kuon [dog]. And he pained me unmercifully, and thus I turned to drink. And when I drink, he beats me so, that it is confusing why I do not die; In fact, I wish for death." Yiseryel said: "I will redeem you and you will live with will"

Then Euponos approached and called out "Kuon, have you been drinking?" And Kuon began to cry. Euponos lifted his eyes and saw Yiseryel and his men, and said "O Kuon, you now associate with brigands?" (for thus did he in his evilness perceive Yiseryel). Yiseryel said "We are not brigands. I wish to buy the slave and some of this land from you". Euponos said: "At great price". Yiseryel turned to Dikelaos and said "Tell the one who carries the grain to bring the bottom bag of grain on the donkey with white hooves, and pour it out" And they did so, and it was moldy. Yiseryel breathed on it, and it became coinage, a great treasure. He said to Euponos: "This is the money". But Euponos did not respond to the miracle, but instead examined the coins, and found them of value. Yiseryel called on people to write a bill of sale, and bought Kuon and some of the land. Euponos said "Fool! The slave and the land is worth less than the money you gave me" and he turned away.

Dikelaos asked Yiseryel: "Why give such a treasure to an evil man?" But Yiseryel said "watch". And when Euponos came to his border, and was in sight of his servants, he fell into a pit and died.

Than Yiseryel said "All of you. build a platform where I will preach to you in a week." He wrote a bill of freedom for Kuon, and he and Dikelaos taught [Kuon] true faith in Theos, the books of Mikhon, and the purpose of Yiseryel.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

A summary of The Book Of Ta'or:
Note that before the depaganazation of the Taorian legend there is an introduction. This introduction is based on some verses from the Book of Wisdom, which tells people to "study the history of Theos and his creation and obtain knowledge" after which it gives a slightly adapted summary of Genesis. After the flood story it says:
Noah had three sons: Samos, Yafthos, and Amon, and they worshiped Theos. Noah made them into nations, and cast lots for their lands. But when the nations split into tribes, Nimardos, a descendant of Amon, built a tower in Babulon, a land of Samos, where he advocated angel-worship. Then Theos, so nation would fall on nation over their deities, split their languages.
So the Book of Ta'or begins by saying that Nimardos built a tower to proclaim his "false views". All nations, and almost all tribes, accepted this, and languages were split, so they would be worshiping differently named deities, preventing them from having true unity, so that some may see the truth, and those that don't would make trouble by warring with each other over religious and linguistic differences.

One tribe, Ta'or, one of the ten tribes of the nation of Toirkamos, son of Yafthos, worshiped Theos. The other tribes began to harass them, but an angel of Theos told Ta'or, the patriarch of the tribe, that since Skutias, a tribe of Madaias, a son of Yafthos, had not settled all the land apportioned to the tribe from the nation's portion, Theos was giving the unsettled areas to Ta'or. He went onto say that since it would be better for one brought up among pagans who realized the truth to bring all nations to worship of Theos, he would wait until Abraham, but he would make Ta'or a "Chosen from the Unchosen". Ta'or migrated to the land, which was the Crimea.

Skutias began to harass Ta'or over the settlement, but his tribe's army was unsucessful at hurting Ta'or, as Theos protected them. Thus, Skutias, started a plot to force the sons of Ta'or to be his slaves. He invited Ta'or to sign a peace treaty, but when Ta'or arrived, he cut off his head. He kept the head of Ta'or preserved as an offering to his deities, and in the confusion, enslaved the children of Ta'or. He promised them their freedom if they posessed their patriarch's head, but he would only give it them if they worshiped Skutias' deities.

They had been enslaved for 25 years when a great-grandson of Ta'or, named Aslan was given a sword, invisible to evildoers, and a plan, by an angel. Every year, Skutias would send for some Taorians to be his waiters at a feast on the date he killed Ta'or. Theos was giving Aslan an opportunity, as he would be selected to be the cupbearer. Theos would make the wine extra strong, and when Skutias and his tribe fell asleep, Aslan was to stab Skutias, and lead his brethren to raid the temple of the sons of Skutias, and take the head of Ta'or. The plan went well, but when the sons of Skutias awoke, they were furious. They used magic to catch up to Aslan, who was carrying Ta'or's head and began to chase after him. When Aslan forded a stream while being chased, Theos caused Skutias's sons to fall comatose. Seeing this, the Skutians left the Taorians alone. Aslan became head of the Ta'orians.

Aslan's second cousin, Tosios, asked him if he could go to the native land of Toirkamos, since he had heard tell of Ta'or saying one of his brothers was not as bad as the others, and if the others had not been so bad, that brother might have started to reworship Theos. Thus, given the miracles done with Ta'or and Aslan, Tosios thought it worth the effort to reconvert them. Aslan agreed, but Tosias' real plan was to learn of the deities of Toirkamos. He back, claiming to be unsuccessful, but he began to intiate Taorians into worship of Toirkamian deities. When he was discovered, the tribe was split into two factions: The Party of Theos and Aslan, and the Party of Idolatry and Tosios. A war brook out, and the Book describes it. However "since such an outrage happened to the tribe of Ta'or, Theos told Aslan that he was to lose the war, and fall in battle, but he was to send his son Iyedeton away, and Iyedeton was to have a descendent who would return, and worship Theos. Than it says "Iyedeton eventually reached the land of Yonias [Greece] son of Yafthos" and traces the line of Iyedeton to Mikhon.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

The Khanerians had a belief system that is called "Khanerian Monotheism", which was a syncretism between Mikhonism and the native paganism. To understand Khanerian Monotheism, one must understand Khanerian Paganism.

They believed that the world was created by a battle between Dževapater, the Sky-father, and the serpent Anagakhi. When Anagakhi was slain, three deities were created, Dirumater (also known as Madžatora), Thašon, both Earth deities, and Madžator Felas. Dževapater married Dirumater and had the sun (Sekhula), the moon, The Fertility Goddess Džrkhnayuvana, and the dawn goddess Khevsa, known as Dževapater's favorite child . Džrkhnayuvana was married to Thašon, and the had twins, Manu and Maniras. The latter advised Manu to rape Džrkhnayuvana, and they had a son, Khaner I. Because of the rape, Dževapater made Khaner I the first human, and instructed the twins to sacrafice him a bull for their sin. Manu performed this first sacrafice, but Maniras refused and went to the "Domain of Anagakhi".

A thousand years passed, and Maniras returned and came to mankind, asking them to build a ladder to heaven. Since the human world needed to be seperated from the divine, The gods wiped out humanity in a flood, saving only the family of Khaner II. Maniras was thrown back into "Domain of Anagakhi", but before he did so he injured Sekhula. Khevsa, much to the grief of her father merged herself with Sekhula. At this point, Dževapater fathered twin sons, the Parkunai, who created horses (and initiated the royal horse sacrafice), and became Dževapater's weapons, Thunder and Lightning.

They believed some time later, humans began to believe that Manu had retreated to the "Domain of Anagakhi", but this was not true, and only their progenitor, Khaner III, knew the truth.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

The pre-Mikhonic Khanerian bull sacrafice took place every feast day. In urban centers, this was in a temple. The plan of the temple was mostly the following pattern: It was a long chamber, with the door at one end. Around the sides were statues of all the gods, with small lamps lit in front of them. In front of the building was a sacraficial font, and in front of that a table with a bowl on the right side and a brazier on the left. In front of that was a large statue of Dževapater, with Manu, Madžator Felas, and Elder of the Parkunai on his right, and Dirumater, Khevsa and the Younger of the Parkunai on his left. Often, Dirumater was depicted wearing a necklace with Džrkhnayuvana on it.

The priest would take a white bull and tie it down in the sacraficial font. He would take a pitcher-like pot of ale, and have the bull drink from it. While he was doing that, another priest would put incense in the brazier. Another priest would then take an axe and decapitate the bull. The one holding the pot would catch the blood in it, and mix it with the ale, walking around the temple, mixing as he went, stopping before each of the gods on the side. While that was occuring, another priest would skin the bull's head, and cut out its tongue, and gather the skin, horns and tongue in a pot. Then both of them would approach the table, the one with the ale-blood mixture in front of the bowl, and the one with the parts of the head, the brazier. The would recite together:

Hail, Dževapater, to whom this was first offered
Hail, Manu, who first preformed this ritual
Hail, Madžator Felas, who advised Dževapater to allow this of Manu
Hail, all ye Gods, who are honored of old
We are feasting today
[a specific invocation was said for each feast]
May you not be angered by us,
O, Dževapater, may this assuage thy anger towards the sons of Khaner
O, Manu, may ye remind Dževapater of your offering
O, Madžator Felas, may ye praise this offering to Dževapater
May all ye Gods bless us
May Manu keep our hands holy
May Dževapater accept us,
And not become wroth with us
Instead, rejoicing in our offering.
So may it be.

Then they would put the skin and tongue in the brazier fire, and pour the ale-blood mixture in the bowl.

They would cook the bull's meat and distribute it to all present
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Khanarian Monotheism was founded during a period when Khanaria was an independent kingdom. There was a minority of Yonataorans who settled there, to provide religious service to Yonatoaran traders. The kings of Khaneria often outlawed conversion of ethnic Khanerians to Mikhonism at worst, and at best, would encourage massacres against said converts. Evithevapavas, the son of a couple who converted during a masscrist king was born after his father had been killed in a massacre, and his mother found sanctuary in a Mikhonic Temple that had become an exclave of Yonataoria. He went to a stream near the temple, and while bathing had a vision of Dževas, the One G-d. He called the stream Dževasravatas.

He formed a following on the north bank of the Dževasravatas, where he declared his revelation from Dževas, in the Dževas-Book, which consisted of short, terse statements on theology. Some of the most important quotes:
Dževas is one, no G-d but him.
He expresses himself to man in many forms.
His expressions have become known as deities to fools.
Dževapater is but the name of His highest perception by man.
Dirumater is Him, as seen as great mother.
He is called Manu when he speaks to man.
All deities are one.
Dževas has no image

Many have come before Evithevapavas, to other peoples.
Mikhon was a prophet for his people.
The people of Mikhon transcended the need for their deities' names as Divine expressions.
When a people transcends the need for their deities' names as Divine expressions, they are given new laws.
The Unity of Dževas forms paths, like rivers across the Earth.
Paths going from nation to nation, bringing truth.
Evithevapavas told two of his disciples, Prtatas and Arčapavas, to record his Hymns and Speeches, respectively, in the Hymn-Book and Dialogue-Book, which were also called The Record of Prtatas and The Record of Arčapavas. He promised them that they were to be divinely guided.

Prtatas and Arčapavas told a younger disciple named Skevdžovas that previously, people could see the "correct relations between the expressions" from the Dževas-Book, but that He should write the Expression-Book.

Later, another prophet named Džovasanaamas wrote the Book of Džovasanaamas, which contained information on plants to burn when meditating on each Expression, hymns and speeches of Evithevapavas, that were not permitted to be revealed before, and various stories about Evithevapavas and the other Khanerian prophets, but nobody claimed an authoritative text of the Book of Džovasanaamas, with many sects arising based on their own version.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

More on Khanerian Paganism:
One of the major festivals was Kerlevas, the Harvest Festival, held on the equivalent of the full moon of Julian October.

To understand Kerlevas, one has to know the Myth of the Oak and Fruit-trees:
When the Parkunai created horses, each one created a mare and a stallion. They decided that the older would sacrifice his stallion, and the younger his mare. Seeing this, Dirumater created two oak trees. Džrkhnayuvana objected, claiming that since the Parkunai were in the sky domain, and she was an Earth deity, she deserved a tree. Dirumater held off until the next harvest, and made Džrkhnayuvana swear an oath:
By Dževapater and his sky! By Dirumater and her earth! By Thason and his caves! With Manu and Madžator Felas as witnesses! I, Džrkhnayuvana will accept a tree, on condition that I watch over the harvest of wheat, giving it strength to not be blighted.
Dirumater created a tree that made all fruit; before then all trees were barren and fruit grew on the ground and tasted blander.

Each templehad a "sacred grove" which had a two oak trees, each with a statue of one of the Parkunai attached, and a fruit tree (of any species) in the middle with a statue of Džrkhnayuvana attached. In front of the fruit tree was a statue of Dirumater. If they could not grow the trees, they had statues of the deities instead, with the feet or legs carved out of respective woods. In front of the Dirumater statue, offset to the right was a table that held a bowl, with statuettes of Dirumater, Džrkhnayuvana and the Parkunai attached at the front. Offset to the left was a fire pit for a bonfire, with the same statuettes on the front edge.

The table in the temple had a small space in the front, to place statuettes of deities for feast days. For Kerlevas, Džrkhnayuvana was placed. If a Temple did not normally have Dirumater wear a necklace with Džrkhnayuvana on it, this would be placed for Kerlevas, and many that did put a belt with her on it around the Dirumater statue.

A month before, a noble "sponsored" a peasant farmer by buying enough ale from him for the festive rights at a high price (if he didn't have enough, it was gifted and bought back) and also the produce of a patch of land that contained enough for a bonfire at high price. A week before, that patch was harvested, and the produce dried in ovens.

The priests would enter the Temple, with the Farmer. The Priests had a colt and a filly with them, and the Farmer had a calf he bought out of pocket. They would preform the ceremony outlined above, except they would smear the blood of the calf on the colt, the filly, and the Farmer. After they passed around the blood-ale mixture, they would make the colt, the filly and the Farmer drink it. They proceeded to offer the bull as normal, and said the following invocation:
We are feasting today
On Kerlevas,
May Madžator Felas send away blight and rodents from our new crop,
May Manu give us the wisdom to guard the crop,
May Dževapater make sure to remind the Goddesses and the Parkunai to accept the offering of foals,
May all three of ye mentioned Gods remind the Goddesses and the Parkunai to hearken to our prayers,
And accept the offering of foals,
O, all ye Gods!
May you not be angered by us,
O, Dževapater, may this assuage thy anger towards the sons of Khaner
O, Manu, may ye remind Dževapater of your offering
O, Madžator Felas, may ye praise this offering to Dževapater
May all ye Gods bless us
May Manu keep our hands holy
May Dževapater accept us,
And not become wroth with us
Instead, rejoicing in our offering.
So may it be.
The priests would then skin the bull, and put a piece of its hide on the colt, the filly, and the Farmer. A priest would say to the Farmer:
You are king of farmers,
King of peasants
Marked for sacrifice.
What say you?
To die,
or a life for life?
The Farmer would lean on his calf and say:
A life for a life!
This I choose,
This calf shall substitute for me,
I redeem myself with its life
All the Gods be my witnesses.
The priest would remove the bull-skin from the Farmer and place it on the calf.

They would proceed to the Sacred Grove, and would take another pitcher of ale, and slaughter the colt and the filly, letting their blood drip into the ale. A priest would mix it, as a fire was set up and lit. A priest would take the ale-blood mixture and walk around the fire while others would strangle the calf. Then, at the same time, the priest would pour the ale-blood into the bowl, leaving some over and others would throw the colt, filly and calf into the fire. Then the priest with the mixture would sprinkle the grove with it, and he and another priest would invoke:
Hail Parkunai, first horse-sacrifices!
Hail Džrkhnayuvana, guardian of crops!
Hail Dirumater who gave these trees!
May our offering be acceptable before you,
May our crops not rot,
May they not be blighted
May no rodents attack them
May they survive the winter
And may you give us a good harvest next year.
So be it.
Then, everyone would feast until sundown, at which point, everybody but three priests would go inside. They believed that night to be ill-omened, since Džrkhnayuvana's demand for a tree allows bad spirits to enter the human world.

The priests had filled the bonfire with the dried crops, after the sacrifices had been burnt, and their fire put out. The three priests would go to sacred grove. One priest would cross-dress as Džrkhnayuvana and when reaching the sacred grove would say her oath. Another had a pitcher of ale, and the other something to light a fire. The fire would be lit, and the priest with the ale would encircle it. He would then pour most of it into the bowl, and sprinkle the rest on the grove. The two priests involved in the fire and libation would invoke:
Hail Parkunai, whose rite we did!
Hail Džrkhnayuvana, whose anger was assuaged today!
Hail Dirumater, who assuaged that anger!
May our fire keep away dark spirits
Our fire, from the crops Džrkhnayuvana and Dirumater guard.
See our libation like an offering,
Acceptable to the Goddesses,
That reminds the Parkunai of their rite
That we did today,
So protect us through this fire.
So be it.
The priest dressed as Džrkhnayuvana would blow a horn, which signaled everybody could come out and he would recite Džrkhnayuvana's oath again. A dance was done in front of the bonfire.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

More on Khanerian Paganism:
Dirumater and Džrkhnayuvana were originally one goddess, called by a Non-IE name, Kaščama. She was an Earth mother who had Chthonic functions. As Earth Mother, she was often called Kaščama Dirumater and in her Chthnonic functions, she was called Kaščama Džrkhnayuvana. Eventually, she was split, with Dirumater functioning as the spirit of the earth, and Džrkhnayuvana being a link between the underworld and the fertility of the earth, ruling over the liminal times of the agricultural year.

The deities I've described were whose venaration or festivals were sponsored by the government. However, there were some "occupational" deities. Džrkhnayuvana's first husband was said to be Madžator Felas, and they had a son, Khalutadževas, who created ale, who was worshipped by brewers. However, control over libational ale was given to Madžator Felas.

Thašon, god of the dead, was once an epithet of Pakhušon, the main Chthonic deity. However, Pakhušon became the "occupational" deity of innkeepers and herdsmen, and the epithet "Thašon" was given to the supreme god of death. Another epithet that became an "occupational" deity was Dževakhayas, who was the worshipped by miners, minters, and traders.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

The Mikhonic Book of Odes was believed to be 365 hymns and prayers composed by Mikhon, arranged in order of when he composed them. Each Ode corresponded to a different day on the Yonataoran Solar Calendar, and priests trained in "Odic Singing" sung each one during the "Opening"sacrafice each day in every temple, and while they generally followed the order, Feast Days were given special Odes that interrupted that order. So New Years, which was on our 9/18, had Ode 200, the next day being Ode 2, as Ode 1 was sung on Neos Stefanos, our 3/31.

The language of the Odes had some oddities, including the untranslatable word "ara", which acted as a verbal exclamation mark, while "ala" was used to show a trailing thought or as a verbal ellipsis.

An example of a hymnal Ode, Ode 1:
The first Ode written by Mikhon, an Ode written by Mikhon.
Theos, how great are your thoughts, and how great are your works, ara!
That you have peered from heaven, the upper heights
And chosen me as king, and my people to have a covenant
Granting them a higher heaven, and spreading righteousness [among] them.
How you have brought me to this, ala, how great are your thoughts, ara!
Your thoughts are not the thoughts of men, nor of mortals,
Therefore I shall sing of you in front of heathens,
Even if it makes the my enemies, even if they march to war against me,
I shall sing of you before the arranged troops,
And I shall not be afraid of their clamor.
For you have said "Mikhon, you shall be king,
And your kingdom, ala, shall not depart from your sons
Until the day the righteous ones prevail,
And a message shall be brought to your son
Saying 'The righteous reign, and Theos reigns'"
How shall express my thanks, ala, mighty one of Heaven?
For how great are your thoughts, and how great are your works, ara!

An example of a prayerful Ode, 90:
A prayer prayed by Mikhon.
One the occasion of Koikoilos coming to attack.
Theos, hear me and answer me.
Theos, hear my people and answer my people.
For we are in desperate straights
And even the suckling is at risk, ala.
Koikoilos has come with an army,
A troop that comes on three sides,
Saying "I shall wipe out these interlopers,
Followers of Mikhon, who speak of one Gd,
I shall wipe out, exterminate,
I shall not have pity."
Theos, Hear the blaspheming foe!
Theos, hear our cries, ara!
Thunder from your heaven,
Scatter the foe, throwing them into confusion, ara!
Rescue us at this time
From an unfeeling enemy,
Shepard me and my people,
Defend us from the encircling wolves,
The wolves who encircle like vultures,
And shout "Kill, rape and pillage".
Rescue us, rescue us, for your our guide
We made a covenant with you; do not abandon us,
To not allow your servants to be abandoned,
To not allow your servants to be pounded like dust
Befits you, and shall be your praise.
For the blasphemers shall be no more,
When you rescue us, and help us,
And show your strength against our foes.
-JRR Tolkien
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

They seem reminiscent of the Psalms.
In content, and maybe also in poesy (I’m no good at poetry so …)
Can’t pin down which Psalm matches which Ode best.
….
What did they do in leap years?
Or is their solar year a “vague” year aka a “vagabond” year?