Twin Aster (Man in Space’s conworld megathread)

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Re: Twin Aster (Man in Space’s conworld megathread)

Post by Man in Space »

Creyeditor wrote: 30 Apr 2021 11:24The cuneiform looks cool. Was it inspired by qny particular script? Ugaritic, maybe?
Sumerian proper, due to the range of degrees over which the stylus can be angled.

----

I have decided to redo, or am considering redoing, some aspects of CT.

- Changing the romanization of /θ/ from ð to z.
- Changing the romanization of /ɬ/ from ł to ś.
- As it stands now, CT has two plosives, /t k/. I'm thinking of making /t/ be more like /t ~ ɹ ~ n/, with [ɹ] being an allophone that shows up in most environments. This contrasts with true initial /ɹ/, so the /t ɹ/ distinction is maintained only in initial position. (You still might get some surface [t] thanks to loanwords or what have you.)
-- /t/ surfaces as [n] before an instance of /ɹ/ or /l/ (phonetically probably [ndɹ ndl]).
-- A corollary of this: Syllables with /ɬ/ are written using the glyphs for /l/ (CT cuneiform was imported from simplified Khaya glyphs). If I go the mostly-collapsing-/t/-and-/ɹ/ route, I might be able to get away with a defective writing system using only the /ɹ/-glyphs. (And maybe, just maybe, I can write /k/ using the glyphs for /ʕ/- or /x/-syllables? Or is that too defective?)
-- I'm thinking of keeping /t/ in sequences where it precedes an alveolar fricative, and possibly after /n/. Though I might make /nt θt st ɬt/ [ndɹ ðdɹ zdɹ ldɹ], just because.
-- /tk/ [tsk]? I think so.
- Thinking about getting rid of the collaborative voice. It's just too clunky.

The above means that Ítöð is now Íröz. And that Tétomoto would become Téromoro, which I could live with.

----

I'm trying to redo the Patchwork States' language…I have a few bits of where I want to go but I am not entirely sure how to get there. What I want phonologically is:

/m n ɲ/ m n gn
/p b t d k~tʃ g~dʒ/ p b t d c g
/f θ s x h/ f z s ch h
/ɹ l w j/ r l u i

/a aː e eː i iː o oː/ a ā e ē i ī o ō
/aɪ aːɪ aʊ aːʊ oɪ oːɪ eʊ eːʊ/ ae āe au āu oe ōe eu ēu
(please pardon the kludged macrons)

With qu /kw/, x /ks/, and /k g/ > [tʃ dʒ] / _{E,j}.

One thing I might do is fortition of continuants in initial position:
f θ s x h ɹ l w j > pf tθ ts kx ʔh dɹ dl gw dʒj / #_
I'm not 100% sold on this. I don't know whether to employ it wholesale, to exclude /w j/ from it, to limit it to fricatives entirely, or to scrap it.

I also want a Latinate case system with four numbers: Singular, dual, paucal, and plural. The paucal typically means "some", but when employed with the definite article it means "many" or "lots of".

Is it a rip-off of Latin (specifically Ecclesiastical Latin)? Yes, with a bit of Tolkien thrown in. Do I care? No, because in-universe it's a liturgical language.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝate n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
PTO = Proto-Tim Ar-O
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma