Yamat people

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Yamat people

Post by k1234567890y »

The Yamat people are an ethnic group living in the Indonesian part of the Borneo island, not much is known about them. Traditionally, the Yamat people are identified as one of the Dayak peoples, however, the style of traditional clothes and many customs of the Yamat people are different from that of Dayak peoples, besides, recent linguistic research has shown that the language of the Yamat people are not related to the Austronesian languages.

According to the legends, the ancestors of the Yamat people were from the other side of the ocean; however, despite of the legend and the name, the Yamat people consistently reject the possibility that they might be related to the Japanese people, and the Yamat people generally have a strong hate towards Japanese people and their culture, because of the massacre happened in the World War II. It is known that the Yamat people helped the Allies to fight against Japan during the World War II, and since Indonesian was under Japanese occupation at that time, many Yamat people were massacred.

Most Yamat people are christians(65%) and muslims(35%), and like many ethnic groups living in the Southeast Asia, the influence of Indian culture and Arabic culture is prominent and is reflected on their language.

Below are some examples of the Yamat language:

- kannangpa semang pomo kaksel - [kannaŋpa semaŋ pomo kaksel] - The priest wrote the king a letter.
- valipa Yamatan Basavo panar - [valipa jamatan basavo panar] - I speak the Yamat language.
- valipa valin teto kenop milos - [valipa valin teto kenop milos] - I met my father yesterday.
- ngekopa vovavo tamsel - [ŋekopa vovavo tamsel] - The cat ate the fish.
- valivalipa koro natalan taming grejang kanglavo votapos - [valivalipa koro natalan tamiŋ gred͡ʒaŋ kaŋlavo votapos] - we sang carols in the church for Christmas last year
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.