Ni: A Conworld

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
sam
rupestrian
rupestrian

Ni: A Conworld

Post by sam »

Edit: This is going to be a thread for all things Ni, and as I come up with information about the biology, technology, culture, etc. of Ni, I will post it here. I am currently teaching myself to draw, so stay tuned for some images of some Niotian folk and fauna.

I've worked out some background information about my conworld, which I'm calling Ni for now. What do you all think? Which parts are unclear or otherwise don't make sense? Which parts do you like?

(A Small Amount of) Physics of Ni
Certain physical aspects of Ni are the inspirations for much of Niotian timekeeping and religion. I haven’t fleshed out these systems yet, but here are some important features that early peoples observed.

Ni is the second planet from its sun, in its so-called “Goldilocks zone”. It is about the size of Earth with an axial tilt of 21° and a moon about the size of Earth’s orbiting at about the same distance.

The sun, the moon, and three other planets are visible with naked eye (i.e. five major celestial bodies plus one earth). The sun is like Earth’s sun, and the moon is reddish in color. The first planet from the sun is pale violet. The next two visible ones are a dark blue gas giant with rings and a smaller, yellow gas giant with no rings. Two moons of the dark blue gas giant are sometimes visible orbiting it with the naked eye. (There are asteroids and other planets not visible to naked eye, but don’t worry about them for now.)

Day: 31.35 Earth hours
Year: 347.33 local days (453.27 Earth days)
Lunar month: 23.93 local days (31.26 Earth days)
Number of lunar months per year: 14.5

Life on Ni
On Ni, the non-animal and non-vertebrate organisms are pretty much the same as on Earth. The differences are minor and hardly worthy of note. The vertebrate biology of Ni is similar to that of Earth, but with some key differences outlined below.

What’s in a Nose?
First of all, higher Niotian vertebrates have “noses” that are simple breathing holes, with no chemosensory receptors to facilitate what we would call “smell” (the exception: certain species use these breathing holes to “smell” species-specific pheromones).

Sense of “smell” is achieved with external muscular hydrostats above and below the mouth. These are usually short tendrils that move around to get odorous particles onto them. In other words, instead of moving the air through the nose, Niotian vertebrates move their olfactory receptors through the air. The “basic” number of smell-tendrils is sixteen (ten above the mouth, six below), but some are fused in some species. Each muscular tendril is covered in olfactory as well as somatosensory receptors (read: Eimer’s organ).

Classes of Vertebrates
Five classes of extant vertebrates that are almost identical to Earth vertebrates are the reptiles, the amphibians and the three classes of fish. These creatures differ from their Earth counterparts in that some have primitive smell-tendrils, but these are usually no more than patches of skin with a high density of chemoreceptors (exception: some extant reptiles have more musculature in their olfactory organs, but this is relatively uncommon).

The ancient reptilian line is where the evolution of Ni starts to diverge from Earth’s. As on Earth, a common reptilian ancestor eventually gave rise to three clades: modern reptiles, birds, and pterosaurs. Notice that mammals are not included. On Ni, mammals do not descend directly from a reptilian ancestor at this point in the evolutionary tree.

Niotian birds have a similar history to Earth birds, to a point. A prehistoric extinction event left enough of the smaller pterosaurs of Ni that they were able to out-compete many birds. Thus, the neoaves have not survived to the present day. The only extant birds on Ni are ratites, fowl, and waterfowl. These birds are very similar to their Earth counterparts except for the motile smell-tendrils hanging from around their beaks.

Here I will describe the pterosaurs of the distant past, and in the following paragraphs I will describe the two classes of modern pterosaur descendants. The pterosaurs of Ni were similar to those of Earth, with some key differences. Again, they had muscular smell-tendrils separate from the nose that moved around above and below the mouth to smell their environment. The wings were also different: instead of being made of one “finger”, they were a bit more like a bat’s wings. When they landed, they walked on all fours, using the “knuckles” of their wings as forefeet. (Look at the Game of Thrones dragons for an approximation of the wings.) They had three head-crests instead of one (one in the middle, flanked by another on each side). Their necks didn’t get quite as long as those of Earth pterosaurs. The pterosaurs had fur, were warm-blooded, had beaks, and laid hard-shelled eggs.

A clade of flightless pterosaurs exists in the present, and for lack of a Niotian term (at the time of this writing), I will call the terrasaurs for now. Terrasaurs are warm-blooded, furry, egg-laying, and beaked. With the exception of the occasional vestigial membrane, their wings have all but vanished over the eons, and their front feet are anything from paws to hooves (matching the hind feet). These of course have inherited the olfactory tendrils, which on some species are quite pronounced. There are herbivorous, carnivorous, and omnivorous terrasaurs, and these fill the many of the niches that on Earth are filled by mammals, from mice to deer to bears to hippos.

Another extant clade of pterosaurs has largely retained flight but lost their beaks. Pterosaurs of this group have also evolved an interesting feature: giving live-birth and then nursing the offspring. Because they are warm-blooded, furry, give live-birth and nurse their young, I will call them mammals, but bear in mind that they are pretty different from Earth mammals. Due to their pterosauran ancestry, they have wings, hollow bones and air sacs, and the now-obvious olfactory tendrils. They have head-crests and do not have external ears. This group fills many of the niches that on Earth are filled by neoaves (most birds). Many species of mammal spend a lot of time on land, walking on all fours, but few are flightless. Most mammals are marsupials, with full-blown placentas being isolated to a single order of flightless mammals. As on Earth, only a handful of egg-laying mammal species survive, and all are quite weird.

Intelligent Life
Just like on Earth, the sapient species that took over Ni comes from the mammalian line. Remember, though, that Niotian mammals descend from pterosaurs and are mostly flying marsupials.

The first step toward intelligence comes in the form of an order of Niotian marsupial whose olfactory tendrils have partially fused and elongated. Let’s call this group “liubids” based on a precursor to a naming language I’ve sketched out, but that’s just a working name. Liubids are defined by two prehensile “arms” hanging from the face, one on each side, each with six “fingers” on the end. These are large muscular hydrostats that split off into smaller ones. The liubid mouth is relatively flat (i.e., no snout, like a primate), and the “arms” are on the sides of the mouth. Most liubids have long enough “arms” to aid in feeding: rooting around for food, grasping it, and bringing it to the mouth. Some lower liubids have been observed using and even making tools with their dextrous “fingers”. As this group includes intelligent people, the liubids are (sort of) analogous to Earth primates.

I’ve already alluded to the most notable liubid on Ni: the people. These are large (deer-sized) members of the above-mentioned order with “arms” long enough to hold something up in front of their own eyes. The most successful species of this group (and only extant one) has built cities, studied the stars, written novels, and done all other kinds of “intelligent” things. They have spread out over all of Ni and fought with each other over various regions of it.

Life Not Quite on Ni
Ni exists in a universe with a fourth spatial dimension. This hardly ever affects the world, which only exists in three dimensions. However, there are creatures that live beyond the third dimension and sometimes cross through Ni on their way between 3D fields. Called outsiders, these creatures seem able to telepathically communicate with people and physically affect them, sometimes even knocking them out of their own 3D world. This is so rare and confusing that little is known about it. When these beings appear to 3D folks, they apparently come out of nowhere. Probably 4D “serpents”, they appear as spheres constantly changing in size, occasionally with non-spherical growths bulging out, only to retreat back into the sphere. Outsiders appear to affect parts of the physical world from many yards away (probably actually doing something with one part of their body which is outside the 3D plane while some other part of their body is “in” the world).

Throughout the ages, the outsiders have taught some people to travel through four-dimensional space. The few who successfully learn to do this, called outflyers, seem to have incredible abilities as a result. They can “disappear” and later “reappear” somewhere else entirely (albeit not instantly), and while they “aren’t anywhere”, they can affect the world in a number of ways. They can spy on people who think they are alone, steal from impenetrable safes, create a “disembodied” voice that seems to come from everywhere, and even reach inside someone else’s body, for better or for worse. When asked what the world outside the world is like, however, outflyers are often at a loss to accurately describe where they’ve been or how to go there. Outflyers are few and far between, but have been important to the history of Ni in a few ways.

For example, many of Ni’s religions include bits about the mysterious 4D beings and about outflyers. I haven’t fleshed all this out yet, but they basically regard 4D beings as gods or spirits or demons

Another example: some of the greatest fortresses in Ni are built partly in 4D space. Some ancient cities appear to be enclosed in domes of iron ball-bearings, which seem to float in the air. Although there is space between balls, they do not budge when pushed, due to being part of a 4D lattice structure (think of a 4D chain-link fence). This way, cities have, to 3D observers, a dome that protects against flying enemies but still lets in sunlight. (This, of course, is quite rare, as it requires a team of outflyers to build. Only a few strongholds like this exist in Ni. Most fortified cities are at least partially underground or in cliffsides, with camouflaging gardens on top.)
Last edited by sam on 20 Jul 2017 15:13, edited 3 times in total.
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Re: Information Dump about Ni

Post by alynnidalar »

That is extremely interesting and I would love to read more about it! Here's some questions from very different parts of the world... decide which (or all) you want to answer!

What sort of technical level are these people at? Clearly the outflyers have impacted how things developed, so I wouldn't imagine they'd be directly analogous to Earth's history, but I'm curious nevertheless.

Alternately, I'd like to know more about these people. Are plants similar to those on Earth, and do they eat them, or are they carnivorous? What sort of social structures do they have--are they communal, individualistic, etc.? What's a family like?

Alternately, politics! You mentioned cities, so there must be some form of political organization. How widespread/"sophisticated" are governments? E.g. are there nations that span thousands or millions of miles, or are they all individual citystates? What are the most influential or important governments?
sam
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by sam »

I'm so glad you're interested! Those are all good questions, which I haven't quite figured out the answer to. I'll answer as best I can here.
alynnidalar wrote:What sort of technical level are these people at? Clearly the outflyers have impacted how things developed, so I wouldn't imagine they'd be directly analogous to Earth's history, but I'm curious nevertheless.
So I'm trying to come up with thousands of years of history. This is a long-term goal, but the basic answer is that I'm going to think of how the presence of outflyers, plus the fact that they have very different bodies than humans, affects how technology develops over the ages, maybe from stone age to the industrial revolution.
alynnidalar wrote:Alternately, I'd like to know more about these people. Are plants similar to those on Earth, and do they eat them, or are they carnivorous? What sort of social structures do they have--are they communal, individualistic, etc.? What's a family like?
Plants are similar, and the people are omnivores like us. They have social structures similar to ours, and what a family is like depends on the culture. Sorry that's kind of a copout answer, but I don't have much on that yet.
alynnidalar wrote:Alternately, politics! You mentioned cities, so there must be some form of political organization. How widespread/"sophisticated" are governments? E.g. are there nations that span thousands or millions of miles, or are they all individual citystates? What are the most influential or important governments?
This is going to take some fleshing out as well. City-states will evolve into kingdoms and empires, but how will they fight wars? How will they maintain their territories when enemy armies can fly into them? How far can an army even fly in a day? These are questions I have to come up with answers to.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

sam wrote:So I'm trying to come up with thousands of years of history. This is a long-term goal ... This is going to take some fleshing out as well. City-states will evolve into kingdoms and empires, but how will they fight wars? How will they maintain their territories when enemy armies can fly into them? How far can an army even fly in a day? These are questions I have to come up with answers to.
Sounds like you've got a very interesting world bubbling along here!

Thousands of years of history --- an admirable goal indeed. And I hope you'll keep us fed with tidbits of many different eras of that history!
sam
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by sam »

elemtilas wrote:And I hope you'll keep us fed with tidbits of many different eras of that history!
I'm thinking of (eventually...) coming up with stories set around times throughout history when the outsiders have affected the world in major ways. This way, I'll be able to showcase various eras of history from various places in the world. I can also then share tidbits as I come up with different periods/cultures.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

sam wrote:
elemtilas wrote:And I hope you'll keep us fed with tidbits of many different eras of that history!
I'm thinking of (eventually...) coming up with stories set around times throughout history when the outsiders have affected the world in major ways. This way, I'll be able to showcase various eras of history from various places in the world. I can also then share tidbits as I come up with different periods/cultures.
Excellent! I hope you'll continue with this. It is lamentable that so many such threads start out with these good intentions, but after a short while we never hear anything about these worlds again... [:'(]

Or we hear only from them only sporadically.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Well, that's because interstellar/transchronospatial travel between multiverses ain't what it used to be!

One of the tradeoffs of dawdling over :roll: a gazillion oh so really important texts/tweets/blah3s vs imaginating and metacogitating real, real deeply & undisturbèdly w/ some good ney or death metal or prog-rock or John Williams or Foals or clanky 1920s pre-proto-blues or whatevs music in the background for inspiration and just fanning those thrills of enthusiam and incandescent cinders of creativity

Whenever your'e ready to share those tidbits, just bring 'em on! The Holo-Net will be ready to receive your transmissions -
[;)]
sam
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by sam »

Thanks for the encouragement! This may have been my last chance to think about Ni for the next month or so, but I hope to really dig into some of the prehistory and ancient history (and a few naming languages) in June.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

sam wrote:Thanks for the encouragement! This may have been my last chance to think about Ni for the next month or so, but I hope to really dig into some of the prehistory and ancient history (and a few naming languages) in June.
Gosh, I hope it won't be quite that bad!

I can't think of anything short of being in a coma that would spell the last chance to think about other things!

But if that's the case, then we certainly look forward to bursts of creative activity and multitudinous and in depth posts about Ni!
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

I love your ideas! The combination of 'hard' worldbuilding and a sort of magic works surprisingly well. And the 4D world is a 'I wish it were mine' kind of idea. please continue, I am already hooked.

A question: can outflyers travel through time, as well? Can they get sick, old, and die?
Last edited by gestaltist on 24 Apr 2017 09:40, edited 1 time in total.
sam
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by sam »

gestaltist wrote:I love your ideas! The combination of 'hard' worldbuilding and a sort of magic works surprisingly well.
This is great to hear. Well... read.
gestaltist wrote:A question: can outflyers travel through time, as well? Can they get sick, old, and die?
They can't time travel per se, and may even take longer to get places through the convolutions of the Outside, but when it suits an Outsider, it may pluck an Outflyer from one place and put them down in another, so that's a sort of fast travel. As for growing old and dying, yes, these are (relatively) normal people. However, they have a tendency to just disappear, rather than living to ripe old ages (but maybe they still do that, somewhere far away).
Last edited by sam on 24 Apr 2017 15:35, edited 1 time in total.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

sam wrote:
gestaltist wrote:I love your ideas! The combination of 'hard' worldbuilding and a sort of magic works surprisingly well.
gestaltist wrote:A question: can outflyers travel through time, as well? Can they get sick, old, and die?
They can't time travel per semester, and may even take longer to get places through the convolutions of the Outside, but when it suits an Outsider, it may pluck an Outflyer from one place and put them down in another, so that's a sort of fast travel. As for growing old and dying, yes, these are (relatively) normal people. However, they have a tendency to just disappear, rather than living to ripe old ages (but maybe they still do that, somewhere far away).
Thanks. Can an outflyer start a normal family? Is his gift inherited by the children then?
sam
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by sam »

gestaltist wrote:
sam wrote:
They can't time travel per se, and may even take longer to get places through the convolutions of the Outside, but when it suits an Outsider, it may pluck an Outflyer from one place and put them down in another, so that's a sort of fast travel. As for growing old and dying, yes, these are (relatively) normal people. However, they have a tendency to just disappear, rather than living to ripe old ages (but maybe they still do that, somewhere far away).
Thanks. Can an outflyer start a normal family? Is his gift inherited by the children then?
A predisposition to outflying may be inherited genetically, but an outsider must teach someone to actually do travel. Well, there have been clever outflyers who taught others themselves, but that's the exception. As for normal families, yeah, they're just regular people physically. They may feel called to something higher than a "normal" life, but they are perfectly able to live one if they desire.
sam
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by sam »

elemtilas wrote:
sam wrote:Thanks for the encouragement! This may have been my last chance to think about Ni for the next month or so, but I hope to really dig into some of the prehistory and ancient history (and a few naming languages) in June.
Gosh, I hope it won't be quite that bad!

I can't think of anything short of being in a coma that would spell the last chance to think about other things!

But if that's the case, then we certainly look forward to bursts of creative activity and multitudinous and in depth posts about Ni!
Well, maybe I meant write, not think. I do have some maps of the physical features of Ni, if people are interested in seeing that. I haven't decided yet which region(s) of the world to focus on, but stay tuned. I know you're probably more interested to see the people of Ni, rather than the planet itself, but I'm going to have to find (or become) a good artist for that one.

I present to you my most recent form of procrastination. Someday I'll be able to actually draw the Niotians, but baby steps.

(Edit: updated maps)

'Satellite' view

Climate map

Map of major rivers and lakes
Last edited by sam on 14 Sep 2017 18:43, edited 2 times in total.
sam
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by sam »

(I collapsed this and the previous post into one. Don't know how to delete posts...)
Last edited by sam on 13 Jun 2017 17:05, edited 3 times in total.
sam
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: Ni: A Conworld

Post by sam »

The Niotian City

As on Earth, the prototypical Ni city has a wall to mark its boundaries. Because Niotians fly, this wall cannot defend against invading armies no matter how tall it is, so the city wall is seldom higher than a story. Entrances to the city are a small number of portals in the wall, which can be entered on foot—just because people can fly, doesn’t mean they want to while carrying all of the stuff they’re bringing to town—and which can be opened and closed.

However, the defining characteristic of a fortified city on Ni is not the wall but the tower. Any “fortified” city has at least one tower. A normal building has an entrance from the ground, but many buildings with a different shop on each story use stairs only for hauling things up, with unencumbered people flying from place to place. A secure building, however, has an entrance only many stories up, and a town’s tower is a prime example.

The typical tower has one entrance several stories up so that someone must fly pretty high to even get in. Once inside, they must climb narrow stairs on foot to get to the top. In more technologically advanced cities, people may be brought up by an elevator powered by people or beasts of burden who’ve come through a completely different entrance.

There is a room at the top of the tower, and coming out of the outside of the tower just below the room, coming out from all sides, is netting. Nets are draped above the entire city, from the tower to the walls, between towers in the case of multiple towers, sometimes attached to other high buildings. There are often multiple layers of net, and they are in seemingly random, staggered patterns. They are durable enough that invaders cannot simply slash them while flying, but must land and saw holes. In the room at the top of the tower sit archers ready to take people out who try to breach the net.

For towns too small to have these types of fortifications, the only defense against pillaging is to hide. Therefore, buildings are often constructed to be camouflaged from above. They are often low to the ground and towns have underground components connecting every building’s basement to the basement of the town center (the temple or administrative building or marketplace or what have you). This tradition carries into larger cities, which have tunnels running throughout them even though they are protected from above. Basements are not only bunkers but cellars used to keep perishables cool. Cities often also have tunnels leading out past the city limits to small fortified city entrances. These may be an early warning system to warn about invading armies, a way for the privileged few to exit a city during a siege, or, in extreme cases, the only entrance to the fortified part of the city.

As cities grow, they exceed the limits of the net, and sometimes smaller nets are hung over neighborhoods outside the city proper, draped from the big net rather than from a tower. Regular life inside the city involves a fair amount of walking from place to place, sometimes even underground, but there are actually more places to fly to than in a smaller town. Although most buildings have stairs, many upper floors can be accessed through what we may see as windows with balconies, but which Niotians view as doors with landings. These may be apartments or shops, and it is not unusual to see people flying from one third story to another in the course of their daily routine.

As for where cities tend to spring up, this is similar to Earthly cities. River valleys make sense for agriculture, but higher ground makes sense as a vantage point from which to see enemies approaching. As empires get larger, cities in the center may become less fortified. The net strategy works a little better against sieges than the high-walls strategy, because the net can be made flame retardant and also flexible/bouncy, which limits the usefulness of many projectiles.

(If anyone has any ideas of how a city like this may be breached, please chime in! I would love to come up with the offensive tactic that advances technology/architecture past what I’ve got here.)
sam
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by sam »

Well, I've been messing around in Blender and come up with a rough sketch of what the Niotians look like. This doesn't include the membrane/skin between the wing "fingers", because that turns out to be rather difficult, but you get the idea. It's far from done, but I figure a picture is worth a thousand words, so here's 3000 words worth of pictures.

https://ibb.co/doGLAF

https://ibb.co/jsTBHv

https://ibb.co/n7vrHv
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Now that is nifty. I confess to more-or-less imagining them as humans, even though I knew they weren't, so that's a nice visual to go along with everything else.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I, too, am impressed.

Here's some (i.e. 15) questions: answer whichever ones you feel like answering, in as much or little detail as you feel like providing. (I suggest 10 sentences or fewer per answer! but of course it's your choice):
  • In ten sentences or fewer;
    • what was Ni like 5000 years ago?
    • what was Ni like 4000 years ago?
    • what was Ni like 3000 years ago?
    • what was Ni like 2000 years ago?
    • what was Ni like 1000 years ago?
    • what was Ni like 500 years ago?
    • what was Ni like 400 years ago?
    • what was Ni like 300 years ago?
    • what was Ni like 200 years ago?
    • what was Ni like 100 years ago?
    • what was Ni like 50 years ago?
    • what was Ni like 40 years ago?
    • what was Ni like 30 years ago?
    • what was Ni like 20 years ago?
    • what was Ni like 10 years ago?
That'ld give us (and you!) a very quick precis (150 sentences or less) of (probably most of) the history of (most of) civilization, in increasing detail for later, more recent, times.

For comparison to Earth's IRL history:
Spoiler:
    • 500 years ago was 1517. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/16th_century#1510s. Plague in Tudor England; Copernicus; Machiavelli; Balboa sights the Pacific; sweating sickness (sudor Anglica) in Tudor England; dancing plague in Strasbourg; Protestant Reformation; Leonardo da Vinci dies; Barbary pirates and Barbarossa; Holy Roman Emperor Charles V; Magellan circumnavigates; Cortes in Mexico; etc.
    • 400 years ago was 1617. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/17th_century#1610s. University in Manila; King James Bible; House of Romanov; Dutch East India Company; Shakespeare; etc.
    • 300 years ago was 1717. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/18th_century#1710s. Copyright law; war of Spanish Succession; coffee in Amsterdam; George I of Hanover king of Great Britain; Louis XIV dies; New Orleans founded; Blackbeard dies; etc.
    • 200 years ago was 1817. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19th_century#1810s. 1816 was a year without a summer; Hegel, Marx, Bismarck in uni together; Mexico and Latin American countries independent; Napoleonic Wars turn against Napoleon; War of 1812; Pride and Prejudice; Frankenstein; Shaka's Zulus; etc.
    • 100 years ago 1917. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1910s. World War I; Russian Revolution; Federal Reserve Bank; George V; Republic of China; automobiles; general relativity; continental drift; etc.
    • 50 years ago was 1967. Nixon; Rolling Stones; homosexual acts between consenting adults over 21 y/o legalized in UK; DeGaulle; Pope Paul VI visits Athenagoras in Istanbul; riot in Detroit; Explorer 35; Surveyor 4; Bee Gees; Tommy Lucchese dies; etc.
    • 40 years ago was 1977. Bhutto overthrown in Pakistan; New York City blackout; Johnstown flood; Gang of Four ousted by Deng Xiao-Peng; Led Zeppelin; Boris Yeltsin; etc.
    • 30 years ago was 1987. Single Europe Act; Ronald Reagan; Klaus Barbie; DJIA above 2500; F4 tornado in Edmonton; etc.
    • 20 years ago was 1997. Hong Kong handed over to China; Pathfinder lands on Mars; fen-phen; mitochondrial Eve and "out of Africa"; DJIA above 8000; Woolworth's closes; etc.
    • 10 years ago was 2007. I'll bet you remember what it was like.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

I like the look of this, and I can't wait to hear more about the outsiders. [:)]
sam wrote:(If anyone has any ideas of how a city like this may be breached, please chime in! I would love to come up with the offensive tactic that advances technology/architecture past what I’ve got here.)
Can't say if this advances technology, but have attackers tried digging their own tunnels under the city walls? The neighborhoods outside the main wall sound like they could be weak points, too.
sam wrote:(I collapsed this and the previous post into one. Don't know how to delete posts...)
You can delete your own post by clicking the button marked with an X in the lower right corner, as long as your post is the newest in the thread. Once the thread gets another reply, you can only edit your post.