Carnassus & The Dream Engine

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Carnassus & The Dream Engine

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

The Dream Engine
Far into the future on the Earth we know and love (at least insofar as it sustains us), there have been vast technological advances. The Earth no longer suffers from a surplus of greenhouse gasses, the human-created warming of the Earth and melting of the icecaps have been halted (and even reversed in some places), and the distribution of food and wealth have become far more efficient and equitable for the past (almost) century. If this sounds like some sort of quasi-utopia, well, you'd be at least mostly right. (Somewhat.) However, there has also been a boon in the sciences of AI development, and perhaps the most amazing thing that has been done is the creation of machines that can interface directly with a human's mind and take commands directly from their neural output. While this has allowed some truly amazing things with 3D and alternate reality gaming... it has also paved the way for some other inventions as well. And this, is where our story picks up...

One dabbling scientist who was a leader in his field of science dealing with the aforementioned neural interfaces happened to have a friend who was a leader in his field of terraforming technology. This is the same tech that was used to colonize Mars and make portions of the Moon hospitable to human settlements. A third scientist, who it would be a stretch to call a friend, happened to be developing some tech that could allow some limited reality warping. And when I say limited, I mean that he had purposefully implemented a ton of safeguards to assure that his experiments didn't get out of hand. He was able to manipulate matter on the quantum level and shift and mold it to within the stated parameters. Think of the matter creating technology of a holodeck on Star Trek but with the Fullmetal Alchemist-esque proviso that matter cannot be made, simply altered and that in order to make something, something of equal value must be exchanged.

One of this last scientist's assistants was not exactly the most careful or scrupulous dude you'd ever met, but she did have the knowledge that the previous two scientists and their work was stored in a database that was secured by the same data storage center that stored all of the scientist's work that she herself worked for. So, with all that combined knowledge in one place, she was able to crack through the security of said database, and pilfer the combined resources of all three incredible scientific minds. Now, with food, money, space, and climate being non-issues, she set her sights much much higher. She wanted to craft a machine that could interface with a mind and then create in reality those exact desires! After years of hiding out and dodging the inquiries of any who might try to suss out what she was up to, she was finally able to create what she liked to refer to as the Dream Engine. A bit hokey, maybe, but she felt like it summed up everything about it that she wanted it to be. Oh... did I happen to mention that this chick put her machine on an orbital station rotating in opposition to the moon? No? Well, that's likely an important detail.

On one fateful day of testing and re-configuring the surrounding environment to her wishes, she went a little bit mad with excitement and decided to turn off all but one safeguard: the one that stopped the machine from killing any Homo Sapien. However, with all of those safeguards off... and her mind alight with ideas and images of everything that this most perfect of machines could do, it is a surprise to no one that things didn't go exactly as planned.

• "What if... the Earth were opposite?"
With but one thought, and an entirely too vague one at that, the machine went to work changing all the water to land, all the land to water. It killed every living species on the planet that wasn't a human, and resurrected a scad of those that had been extinct for milenia... But, of course, it couldn't just make something from nothing. So, the earth was moved and shaped and sunk and raised in order to give us the map shown below. It's not perfect, as no machines made by man are, and of course the water isn't all as backward as one expects... but it is what the Dream Engine made it.

Now, one asks, what is the population of the world like? What happened to all these people that the machine couldn't kill? And what influence will their languages of origin have when tossed into this strange new world? Well... the machine also had something to say about population density. Since numbers can't be made opposite, it did however decide that the population density must be vastly smaller by attempting to make sure that centers of population on the old world were devoid of human life on the new one. Oh, and everyone that didn't fit in the new schema? Well, they are in hibernation on the once colonized terraformed side of the moon. All humans, including the female assistant who has yet to be named, had their minds wiped so that what had been full... was now empty. That includes, of course, all the people that got plopped down in the various settlements across the world. A feature that makes all Carnassians on equal (and strange) linguistic and mnemonic footings.

Carnassus
The world that I refer to as Carnassus is one in which some vestiges of the bygone Earth are still present. Ruins of decimated cities might still be found as they were ground up and spit out across the globe to make the new landscape. Entire continents complete with their cities might still exist on the ocean floor somewhere for all I know. But, the one feature is that every language that is born on Carnassus is by its nature a language isolate as the focus on this place is maybe a couple hundred years after it was all crafted. Now, yes, there will be dinosaurs somewhere on the planet... but due to the climate of Carnassus, I have no idea where that will be yet, but I really need them to exist somewhere.

• Maps, etc.
This map shows all of the continents, as well as the equator and tropics. The map isn't 100% of my invention... in fact none of the cool bits of satellite-looking imagery are. I happened to find a really sweet rendering of a reversed Earth map someone online had made and then heavily heavily altered it. In the interest of somewhat moderating the climate a bit I might decide to fully separate the southern-most continent a bit where there is already a bay in the central region... Hopefully folks can help me determine how much that would matter. I have altered the map already... to add more of a separation between the continents in the center, and have added a bay at the pole. I haven't a clue what impact that'll have on the planet's climate. Maybe nothing significant?

And this map is color-coded so as to make discussion of some of the areas a bit easier. Roughly, these are likely to be continents. Oh, and I really want Red's island to be an active volcano!
Edit: Please look below for a post with a map including modern-ish names for locales. (I still want there to be an active volcano on Hudson, though.)
• What I need...
Please, feel free to help me out in refining this idea in anyway you please. I need the most help with climate stuff... but also ecology and what some fun extinct plants and animals might be to spatter across the globe. As far as languages go, all of the languages that I have been crafting can get smashed onto the planet in one place or another, just so long as the clusters of folks who speak them are not in contact with one another and are grouped around in pretty disparate locales. Ask and or suggest me anything!

Link(s)
https://www.frathwiki.com/Carnassus — A link to the FrathWiki page about the conplanet. At the moment, it has basically no info that isn't already here, but there is some info on the side-bar... which is mostly the same as Earth's.
Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 28 Dec 2017 06:11, edited 6 times in total.
Davush
greek
greek

Re: Carnassus & The Dream Engine

Post by Davush »

I am enjoying the story behind this - I'll probably need to reread the first section a few times as quite a lot of info was packed in there! As you know already, I love the map and I'm happy to help where I can with climate stuff. As for how that large bay type area might affect climates - you're best first seeing how the winds and currents are flowing in that area, but the ocean-facing western sides of those bays around 40 latitude will probably have a nice mediterranean climate.

Of course what I'm most interested in is the languages...
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Davush wrote: 23 Dec 2017 12:39 I am enjoying the story behind this - I'll probably need to reread the first section a few times as quite a lot of info was packed in there! As you know already, I love the map and I'm happy to help where I can with climate stuff. As for how that large bay type area might affect climates - you're best first seeing how the winds and currents are flowing in that area, but the ocean-facing western sides of those bays around 40 latitude will probably have a nice mediterranean climate.
I really can use all of the climatic knowledge I can get!
Of course what I'm most interested in is the languages...
The languages aren't placed yet as I have some specific thoughts on culture and I want them to end up in the proper climate areas. Rest assured, though, they will be discussed and/or linked to. One in particular is changing a lot from what was posted here.
Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 27 Dec 2017 00:16, edited 1 time in total.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Updated the maps slightly...
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I find the general ideas of this thread intriguing. (Actually "intriguing" is too weak a word for how I feel about it.)
But I'm left with disbelief-suspending blueballs; I can't see any of your maps or charts or tables or graphs or any such thing.
Am I wrong thinking you intended more? Or maybe more narrative, or more exposition, or more backstory?
Or am I just too impatient?
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

eldin raigmore wrote: 26 Dec 2017 20:53 I find the general ideas of this thread intriguing. (Actually "intriguing" is too weak a word for how I feel about it.)
But I'm left with disbelief-suspending blueballs; I can't see any of your maps or charts or tables or graphs or any such thing.
Am I wrong thinking you intended more? Or maybe more narrative, or more exposition, or more backstory?
Or am I just too impatient?
Are the images in the spoilers not showing for you?!

If so, I can un-spoil them and let ya have a look at the maps at least.

As for the content of the thread, I was really hoping that this opening fusillade of deets with little exposition would open up a bit of dialogue and thereby get things moving and posting about things. What I really need is some help with climate and such so that i can place my various con-folks and then move into some explanation of their customs and culture. But, what is integral, is knowing if they will have snow, or torrential rains, or ridiculous wind gusts, or what. Also, some suggestions of cool extinct animals to populate the world with would be awesome to the max.

Essentially, there is more in my head, but I kept hoping that more folks would chime in and get things moving so that I know where I should put stuff. Like, where in the shit are my dinosaurs gonna live?
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 26 Dec 2017 22:41 Are the images in the spoilers not showing for you?!
Exactly! I see nothing in the spoilers! That was the main impetus for my remark, I guess.

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 26 Dec 2017 22:41 If so, I can un-spoil them and let ya have a look at the maps at least.
Anything that works, I will be grateful for!

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 26 Dec 2017 22:41 But, what is integral, is knowing if they will have snow, or torrential rains, or ridiculous wind gusts, or what. Also, some suggestions of cool extinct animals to populate the world with would be awesome to the max.
They should have all of that -- right? (If I've properly understood.)
WIll they be in an Ice Age, or in one of the high-temperature climates of prehistory?
There won't be a Pangaea. But the continent that takes place of the Pacific Ocean might have a climate like that of RL Australia, or maybe RL Greenland, on a huge scale; a thin border of habitability next to the coast, with a huge desert in the interior. Or it might be more like Africa or North America; huge deserts at one end and jungle at the other. Or it might be grassland instead of desert, or as well as desert.
May I suggest Pegornithid (I think I spelled that right) Pelagornithid (pseudodontorn) birds? Some of them were huge! They lived near the oceans, to feed on sea-life. Like any other bird they didn't have real teeth; but they had hollow projections of bone coming up (from their lower) and down (from their upper) jawbones, which could hold prey in place.
Also, ambulocetus natans, a carnivorous ungulate.
Also, that carnivorous giant armadillo. Macroeuphractus? Glyptodont?

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 26 Dec 2017 22:41 As for the content of the thread, I was really hoping that this opening fusillade of deets with little exposition would open up a bit of dialogue and thereby get things moving and posting about things. What I really need is some help with climate and such so that i can place my various con-folks and then move into some explanation of their customs and culture.
Essentially, there is more in my head, but I kept hoping that more folks would chime in and get things moving so that I know where I should put stuff. Like, where in the shit are my dinosaurs gonna live?
As for what happened to the dinosaurs; as Gary Larsen famously illustrated, they caught the habit of smoking tobacco cigarettes, so they went extinct. And/or, they invented handguns, but never invented gun-control. Or maybe they just invented automobiles but never learned how to slow down early before an intersection when there was snow on the road. IMO these are all plausible ways they could have gone extinct.
OTOH if you want them to be "not extinct"; you could either put them someplace there's both tobacco and snow and sulfur and saltpeter and (natural?) charcoal; or someplace there are none of those.

Will there be petroleum in this world? Probably; but will there be mining it and refining it?
Last edited by eldin raigmore on 27 Dec 2017 01:47, edited 1 time in total.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

eldin raigmore wrote: 26 Dec 2017 23:37 Exactly! I see nothing in the spoilers! That was the main impetus for my remark, I guess.
Well shit. Try now? I've removed all the spoiler tags, but the images are kinda huge.
Anything that works, I will be grateful for!
If taking the tags for spoilers doesn't work... then I may have to re-host them back on Imgur. I moved them to FrathWiki because that way they will update automagically when I change the source file.
They should have all of that -- right? (If I've properly understood.)
Yeah, the planet as a whole will have all of that. But what I meant was, which cultures will have which climates? If I just place different peoples across the globe, I kinda have to know what their weather is like in order to properly attire them, and maybe it will give me some thought as to their religious practices, what it might be like if they are in constant darkness up in an arctic circle, or whatever.
WIll they be in an Ice Age, or in one of the high-temperature climates of prehistory?
No, I don't think so. I believe they will be in a climate in distribution of temperatures much like our modern Earth, but of course, moderated by the change in continental and ocean make-up.
There won't be a Pangaea. But the continent that takes place of the Pacific Ocean might have a climate like that of RL Australia, or maybe RL Greenland, on a huge scale; a thin border of habitability next to the coast, with a huge desert in the interior. Or it might be more like Africa or North America; huge deserts at one end and jungle at the other. Or it might be grassland instead of desert, or as well as desert.
Hopefully you can see the maps soon, as that will help you to understand kinda where things are and what everything looks like. The map isn't quite as directly reversed as you might have imagined it was.
May I suggest Pegornithid (I think I spelled that right) birds? Some of them were huge! They lived near the oceans, to feed on sea-life. Like any other bird they didn't have real teeth; but they had hollow projections of bone coming up (from their lower) and down (from their upper) jawbones, which could hold prey in place.
Also, ambulocetus natans, a carnivorous ungulate.
Also, that carnivorous giant armadillo. Macroeuphractus? Glyptodont?
*pauses to look all of those up quickly*
Do you mean these dudes for your bird suggestion? Those might end up in a "maybe" pile. I don't want ALL of the creatures to be huge scary monsters... but a fair number can be. Mayhap some variety in the "just smaller than an albatross" range might be okay. But not as a pervasive species, I wouldn't think. I dunno. Designing an ecosystem of creatures isn't precisely my strong-suit either.

Ambulocetus natans? YES! I want those on my planet to fill a hippo-like niche. Maybe a version that pre-dates it that really could move about on land, in converse to what the Wiki tells me about how they are currently thought of as being closer to whales and likely fully aquatic.

I mean, once could stick some extinct armadillo-esque creatures on the central island of the Intercontinental Sea (toward the center of the map), maybe, but they aren't my favorite type of creature.

However, something like this? Yes, please! Hyena are so cool, and giant pack-hunting ones filling the big cat niche? Yup.
Will there be petroleum in this world? Probably; but will there be mining it and refining it?
There will certainly be petroleum... but I highly doubt that any of the peoples will have discovered mining for such a thing. Heck, I would imagine the only metal anyone has will be from the remnants of cities that no one quite understands. I'm thinking that having some metal above ground might allow them to be rather like pre-contact Native peoples in terms of technology, but still have metal tools and weapons. Maybe not, I'm not sure.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 27 Dec 2017 00:14 ...
(1) That worked! I can see the maps, and they're not too large.

(2a) Yes, I meant Pelagornithids or pseudodontorns.
(2b) They did come in a variety of sizes. You could have some smaller ones.
(2c) And the bigger an animal or plant or fungus species is, the fewer its population should be.
You might try having the total biomass of any species in a given class (e.g. mammals) and a given guild (e.g. predatory carnivores),
be about the same as the total biomass of any other species in that same class and that same guild.
So the total weight of all the tigers on the planet would be around the same as the total weight of all the lions on the planet.
(Of course I know you won't really have tigers or lions of the modern variety. But how about saber-toothed cats?)

(3) Did you think about the dinosaurs any?
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

eldin raigmore wrote: 27 Dec 2017 01:51(3) Did you think about the dinosaurs any?
I'm pretty much always thinking about dinosaurs when it comes to this planet. I'm not sure specifically what you are asking, though.

I still want them there, and they still need to exist somewhere warm. This will limit the geography that is available... but as for specific species? I'm thinking a large variety of some of the smaller more velociraptor-sized creatures. So, something like Procompsognathids, ummm, and likely at least one or two larger herbivores like a brontosaurus and maybe a stegosaur. I think that means we will have some dinos in the sort of elephant niche, and then a bunch of smaller ones in sort of a wolf-like role. Overall, I'm not sure what exactly I want in terms of species because the tyranosaurs are tempting... but I don't want giant predatory creatures running amok alongside the humans that will likely be right there with them.

It's a work in progress.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 27 Dec 2017 03:02 I'm pretty much always thinking about dinosaurs when it comes to this planet. I'm not sure specifically what you are asking, though.

I still want them there, and they still need to exist somewhere warm. This will limit the geography that is available... but as for specific species? I'm thinking a large variety of some of the smaller more velociraptor-sized creatures. So, something like Procompsognathids, ummm, and likely at least one or two larger herbivores like a brontosaurus and maybe a stegosaur. I think that means we will have some dinos in the sort of elephant niche, and then a bunch of smaller ones in sort of a wolf-like role. Overall, I'm not sure what exactly I want in terms of species because the tyranosaurs are tempting... but I don't want giant predatory creatures running amok alongside the humans that will likely be right there with them.

It's a work in progress.
The median size for (multicellular eukaryote) animals is about the size of a housefly.[citation needed]
The median size for warm-blooded land-dwelling vertebrates is about the size of a housecat.[citation needed]
The median size for dinosaurs was about the size of a donkey.[citation needed]

So you could have some small ones, and some non-carnivorous ones, and some "insectivorous" ones (that ate invertebrate prey only), and some herbivorous ones.
Or any combination of one, or some, or none, or all of those.

They're probably going to be warm-blooded and feathered (not with the kind of feathers that might make good wings, though!).[citation needed]

There were dinosaurs that lived in the Arctic and Antarctic Zones* at times when the six-month-long night meant all bodies of water froze over.[citation needed]
They probably hibernated six months a year.[citation needed]
Your people could probably withstand having such "monsters" in the polar regions.

*(Not necessarily Antarctica. Fossils found in Antarctica may have been deposited there at a time when that part of Antarctica was not south of the Antarctic Circle; i.e. was more than 23.5 degrees north of the South Pole.)

If you're going to lose the huge carnosaurs like T. Rex, you might not want Quetzalcoatlus Northropii. But you might want some carnotaurs about the height and mass of a human.

Or not. It's up to you! I look forward to seeing what you decide!
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I've pretty massively adjusted the naming conventions of places on Carnassus based on their real-world counterpart places (mostly). All of these names will likely change to reflect the languages of the people that will eventually live in these places, however, for now, it'll make things much easier to discuss.

I have gone ahead and removed the outdated color-coded map above with a note to look below at this one instead:
eldin raigmore wrote: 28 Dec 2017 02:14 The median size for (multicellular eukaryote) animals is about the size of a housefly.[citation needed]
The median size for warm-blooded land-dwelling vertebrates is about the size of a housecat.[citation needed]
The median size for dinosaurs was about the size of a donkey.[citation needed]
Interesting. Now, when you say median size... I assume that includes all manner of life down to very small but still multi-cellular creatures. How much would that shift upward if the smallest organism considered was a gnat or fruit-fly size? Does this count smaller creatures millions of times over since there are so damned many of the really little dudes? As far as the mammalian sizing goes, I imagine the median will be somewhat larger than that, but of course, the smaller critters (your rats, mice, voles, etc.) aren't as interesting to talk about. Especially since they will have to exist, but just be now extinct variants of them.

As for the donkey-sized dinos? I'm thinking that might be about where I am shooting.
So you could have some small ones, and some non-carnivorous ones, and some "insectivorous" ones (that ate invertebrate prey only), and some herbivorous ones.
Or any combination of one, or some, or none, or all of those.
I imagine I will have a small number of carnivorous ones as apex predators of their region, but most will be medium to small herbivores and insectivores.
They're probably going to be warm-blooded and feathered (not with the kind of feathers that might make good wings, though!).[citation needed]
That's actually a good point... and should allow me to spread them around a bit. (And yes, I am well aware of the feathers, that adds to their appeal, actually since I love the aesthetic of the feathered lizards.)
There were dinosaurs that lived in the Arctic and Antarctic Zones* at times when the six-month-long night meant all bodies of water froze over.[citation needed]
They probably hibernated six months a year.[citation needed]
Your people could probably withstand having such "monsters" in the polar regions.
Not entirely sure what kind of societies (if any) I will have start off in polar zones. As such, there won't be as much focus on that part of Carnassus for a while.
If you're going to lose the huge carnosaurs like T. Rex, you might not want Quetzalcoatlus Northropii. But you might want some carnosaurs about the height and mass of a human.

Or not. It's up to you! I look forward to seeing what you decide!
Yes, definitely to the underlined bit.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 28 Dec 2017 05:08I've pretty massively adjusted the naming conventions of places on Carnassus based on their real-world counterpart places (mostly). All of these names will likely change to reflect the languages of the people that will eventually live in these places, however, for now, it'll make things much easier to discuss.
I have gone ahead and removed the outdated color-coded map above with a note to look below at this one instead:
http://www.frathwiki.com/images/9/9c/Ca ... -names.png
I like it! It's pretty! I can (almost) recognize the shapes! And you spelled "Southron" right!
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Wait... You'd said I spelt it right, but then you spelled the word differently?
Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 30 Dec 2017 07:08, edited 1 time in total.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 28 Dec 2017 20:46Wait... You'd said I spelt it right, but then you spelled the word differently?
My eyes refuse to report it as anything other than "Southron".
I know you spelled spelt it "Southren"; that's an improvement over "Southern", and at least shows that you're pronouncing it correctly.
But I'm going to continue to read it as "Southron". :mrgreen:
(BTW one <l> in<spelt>. No biggie.) [;)]
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

eldin raigmore wrote: 29 Dec 2017 14:38 (BTW one <l> in<spelt>. No biggie.) [;)]
It comes up as a spelling mistake either way, so I didn't notice the extra L.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 30 Dec 2017 07:08
eldin raigmore wrote: 29 Dec 2017 14:38 (BTW one <l> in<spelt>. No biggie.) [;)]
It comes up as a spelling mistake either way, so I didn't notice the extra L.
That's American English spellcheck for you. Follow the one true path of "spelled", "burned", "learned" and "dreamed".
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

...but spelt, burnt, dreamt (drempt?) and learnt are so much more fun!

Also, while you are here, Dor... *glances up at the thread*... ummmmm....? Comments? LOL
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 30 Dec 2017 08:30Also, while you are here, Dor... *glances up at the thread*... ummmmm....? Comments? LOL
*Puts on sunglasses and hurries toward a waiting limo* No comment, darling! [B)]

Well, I did have a couple of questions. I already knew from your previous posts that on Carnassus, land was changed to water and water to land, but looking at your map, it looks like the world may have also been flipped longitudinally (or, rather, the longitude lines were flipped; I'm never sure how to describe mirroring). Could you confirm that?

And how have the changes affected tectonics? More specifically, did the Dream Engine change the underlying plates to make the new arrangement?

I don't know how quickly it would happen, but I could imagine some version of Carnassus where the southern continent develops a cultural and linguistic exchange similar to Eurasia's.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Hey, this is a neat backstory for a conworld, especially the invention of the dream engine! It's good to see that you're working so hard on a conworld. You've said before on at least two occasions that you're really interested in inventing con-scripts and invent conlangs and conworlds so you'll have backgrounds for your alphabets, syllabaries, abjads, abugidas, and logographies. Here, however, I get the impression that your world is the star of the show in this story, so to speak.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!