Haasvia

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
SkyFry
rupestrian
rupestrian

Haasvia

Post by SkyFry »

Hello! I have a conculture that I've been working on for about a year, and I'd like to share it here.

My conculture exists within a futuristic universe in a webcomic I'm currently working on, they're an alien race that are native to a country on a fictional planet.

Planetary location: Osara
Capital city: Yangha
Population: 13 million as of a 2430 census
Official language: Haasvian (I'll make a separate post in the conlang forum later on)
Official religion: Haasvia has no official religion, with several religions recognized in the '30 census (both native and brought in with immigrants). Haasvia does, however, have an ancient polytheistic religion that has modern practitioners.
Geography: Haasvia is a landlocked nation and is known for being mostly flat, save for a mountainous region to the west. There are three major lakes, and 27 rivers. There are agricultural areas but the nation is mostly industrialized.

Haasvian natives: Humanoid digitigrades that average 6' 8" (2.032 meters) in height, skin tones range from pale to dark brown and everything in between (I went the human looking route for the most part, I know that irks some people, but [B)] ).

Example of a Haasvian native (scroll to the bottom of the page): http://capybarathecomic.smackjeeves.com ... 21923/2-6/

Example of the Haasvian language:

Adhun, gas di?
[hello, how you?]
Hello, how are you?

Gan lohrun'ras ochidat?
[where near-MOST port?]
Where is the nearest port?

Hvo tos lo sot okhatagi idhomor'paa.
[I-no-gender them out of the airlock (literally "air leaving") throw-PAST.]
I threw them out of the airlock.

The conworld, conlang and webcomic are all works in progress, this is all I got so far. Thanks!
Ha bhrag...

English - Français - Lang Belta

Conworld: http://capybarathecomic.smackjeeves.com/
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: Haasvia

Post by elemtilas »

Glad you've decided to share your work with us!

Please continue to share more about Haasvia and its history & cultures and so forth!
SkyFry
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by SkyFry »

Thank you! I'll add to this thread (and link the conlang post when I make it) when I have more material that's ready to be shared.
Ha bhrag...

DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Post by DV82LECM »

Do non-genders participate in intercourse? If so, how? If not, why? ARE their genitalia similar to Homo Sapien genitalia? WAS there a point when the culture recognised ONLY two biological sexes for procreation, or DID all three genders perform a function in intercourse? DO non-genders actually believe themselves to be a separate, third gender IF having no biological function to reasonably separate themselves, or IS it a social trope brought on by cultural change?

And for ANY criticism I am going to receive from anyone who recalls my opinions in my post on Crona, allow me to pose this to the creator of Haasvia...as a thought experiment, why NOT create a culture which ACTUALLY has a functioning reason for three genders, like a species with three biological sexes? To anyone who reads this, has anyone EVER done that? Think about it: one produces the seed, one carries, and one raises the offspring.
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
SkyFry
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by SkyFry »

*cracks knuckles* Alrighty, here we go.

Biologically, Haasvians can be split into two reproductive types: the one who produces the seed, and the one who carries and lays the egg. The majority of the population identify as nonbinary and gender is a very loose concept (it's been that way for a while, since early times, and it's the 25th century in my comic). They're an alien species who have encountered humanity, and some other races, who have slightly more rigid gender binaries, and as a result, the one who produces the seed has been called "male", and the one who lays the egg has been called "female". In Haasvian society, gender is not tied to one's reproductive organs, but instead in how an individual identifies. A newly hatched Haasvian infant is not assigned a gender upon coming into the world. It's encouraged that the child figure that out for themselves.

The Haasvian language has three pronouns, "Hva" (female), "Hve" (male), and "Hvo" (nonbinary, non-gender). Like I said, the majority of the population identify as nonbinary, however, there are Haasvians who identify as female who carry the eggs, and Haasvians who identify as male who produce the seed, and visa versa. If an individual produces the seed but identifies as female, that Haasvian is considered "female", and so on. (As an aside, there are transgender Haasvians who can choose to undergo surgery if they wish. Bottom surgery only, Haasvian infants are able to eat solids right out of the egg, so no mammaries.)

Males, females and nonbinary individuals all participate in intercourse. An infant's parents can be using any combo of pronouns, regardless of who produced the seed and who carried the egg.

That answer your questions?
Ha bhrag...

DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Post by DV82LECM »

Yes, that does answer my questions. The truth is, what you explained, I already could have inferred. I was hoping I would have been explained something that didn't appear to be a re-branding of the transgender/nonbinary thing here on Earth. That's why I gave the rhetorical idea of a functionally three-gendered species.

So, did you deliberately make the percentage of transgenders in your culture lesser than those left to have children? Has their technology advanced enough to ACTUALLY make a trans-person into the gender they THINK? You can't have more functionally-sterilized people than NOT to keep a species going...
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
SkyFry
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by SkyFry »

Yes, a three-gendered society based on who produces the seed, etc. would be cool, but that's not what I was going for. I did decide to rebrand Earth's gender identities for my alien species, as I want my characters to be relatable, and more importantly, realistic. Human beings have all kinds of gender identities, so Haasvians do as well.

As far as transgender individuals go, a transgender Haasvian can be someone who decided to identify as female after identifying as male their entire lives. Gender identities in Haasvian society are not tied to reproductive organs but like I said, they can undergo surgery if they want to. I know that in current science, there are ways for an individual to preserve eggs or sperm prior to transitioning, and then either use a donor or stop taking hormones for the duration of the pregnancy (if they didn't have bottom surgery and still have a uterus). It's the 25th century in my story's canon, so scientific knowledge has evolved and there would be ways for a FTM trans Haasvian to "father" a child, and so on.
Ha bhrag...