Damta: A collaborative world

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Re: Damta: A collaborative world

Post by k1234567890y »

brblues wrote: 02 Dec 2019 13:47 My nick also is the same as here. Can everybody post and upload to our wiki or do we need specific rights?
you don't need specific rights
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Theoretically every wiki on fandom is open to everyone, so you don't need specific rights to edit article.

But that means we might need guards keeping an eye on potential trolls everytime, as they can occasionally appear.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

So far neither trolling nor serious entries as far as I can see? :mrgreen: I will start making entries soon I hope, but even when I find the time, I might still take some time to get used to making entries on there. Meanwhile Proto-Bokisig will also be featured on the this forum's Lexember thread as well as some time in Conlang Relay XI, so there is at least some representation of Damta on the board [:D]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I have read the Bokisig Empire page and made a link to [[Txabao]] on it.

I've also added this page:

https://damta.fandom.com/wiki/Basic_200_List

We can put Basic 200 lists in our Damta conlangs up on the wiki and compare our languages!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

♂♥♂♀

Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

So sorry I haven't been more responsive. I'm in the midst of exam season myself.
I'll hop on board with the wiki as soon as I can!
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

I have put a bit more on the Damta wikia on fandom, but still trying to find my bearings on that site!
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Just started a page about something related to Classical Sitr, Likepeg People(the ethnic group speaking Sitr languages) and Kompalia, and have made a page about their religion.

Most Likepeg People(or Likepegs) follow Paarism, a dualistic religion that features struggles between two gods, anti-idolatry, encouragement for family-oriented lifestyles.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

sorry for double posting, but I have decided to make a place suffix in Classical Sitr to be -stan

I wonder if this is ok for you all
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I created all the verbs from the Basic 200 list as Txabao words, and now Txabao's lexicon is up to 222. I just need to figure out how adjectives work, and I can finish my list!

EDIT: And yes, K1234567890y, it's OK with me if you use -stan.
♂♥♂♀

k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

thanks ><

I have reformed the Sitr script and made two types of notational systems for writing numbers: the alphabetic system and the positional system. The alphabetic system works in a manner similar to roman numerals and are the older notational system in the Sitr script.
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

I've not given up on Damta, just not been conlanging too much recently, and usually not been in the mood to make entries on the wiki either when I was in the mood. Let's keep it going!
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

I'm not done with Damta by a long shot :) I also have no problem with the -stan suffix.
Last edited by Nachtuil on 26 Dec 2019 06:31, edited 1 time in total.
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

Okay, as promised months ago, I reworked the map in the sense that I vaguely alluded to. It has a definite painterly/stylistic feel rather than photorealism, which I had toyed with but ugh. Too much work right now. haha I should still probably go in and put in some more mountains/hills in certain places, but it certainly conveys the direction I want to go in.

With no colour:
worldmapversion C blackwhite no lines by Nacht Uil, on Flickr

With colour:
worldmapversion C colour no lines by Nacht Uil, on Flickr

Colour and grid:
worldmapversion C colour with lines by Nacht Uil, on Flickr

What do you guys think?
Zekoslav
sinic
sinic

Post by Zekoslav »

I like it. So you decided that the western mountains will be the highest. That will make for a very, very extensive desert and steppe zone east of them! Plenty of space for many pastoralists and their languages, conveniently separated from agriculturalists by mountains. I wonder what influence that might have on history? No great walls needed? More unexpected invasions through mountain passes?
Languages:
:hrv: [:D], :bih: :srb: [;)], :eng: [:D], :fra: [:|], :lat: [:(], :deu: [:'(]

A linguistics enthusiast who occasionally frequents the CBB.

- Guide to Slavic accentuation
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

This looks amazing, Nachtuil! [<3] I assume the colouring also encodes terrain height, from dark green over light green to yellow (high to low)?
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

brblues wrote: 26 Dec 2019 14:34 This looks amazing, Nachtuil! [<3] I assume the colouring also encodes terrain height, from dark green over light green to yellow (high to low)?
I'm so glad :) Well.. the different hues is my attempt to indicate different biomes with darker darkers indicating thicker growth (jungles, and forests) and lighter lighter growth (wood land to plains). I tried to respect the previous biome map but it's not really perfect or perfectly reflective of how things might look. If you look at the google maps image of North America you can kind of see what I was aiming for. I may need to add some denser forests to the west north and imply my tundra along the northern bit.

Ky, how forested is the area the Sitr reside in?
Zekoslav wrote: 26 Dec 2019 12:18 I like it. So you decided that the western mountains will be the highest. That will make for a very, very extensive desert and steppe zone east of them! Plenty of space for many pastoralists and their languages, conveniently separated from agriculturalists by mountains. I wonder what influence that might have on history? No great walls needed? More unexpected invasions through mountain passes?
I assume you mean the massive steppes/plain in E2, F2 and G2 :) That definitely was the motivation. Lots of room for many peoples :)
It is easy to imagine that the 2 and 3 rows would hold a large amount of human development given that it is a wide swath of similar climate allowing the same crops to spread widely. I guess the 5 row would also have a lot of density.

I'm really relieved you like it so far. :) I will probably touch up a few things colour wise, especially if you guys have any suggestions.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Nice work!

Is the desert in D3, D4, E3, and E4?
♂♥♂♀

k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

I guess the area for Sitr speaking people is similar to West Europe and North Europe, and many parts of the area can be pretty forested in their natural states. @Nachtuil

The south might be drier and could be similar to South Europe and the coastal area of North Africa.
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

Khemehekis wrote: 29 Dec 2019 06:05 Nice work!

Is the desert in D3, D4, E3, and E4?
Yeah. At least, very arid but part is supposed to be desert for sure. Looking at it now I think I need to make it look more dry.

k1234567890y wrote: 30 Dec 2019 03:22 I guess the area for Sitr speaking people is similar to West Europe and North Europe, and many parts of the area can be pretty forested in their natural states. @Nachtuil

The south might be drier and could be similar to South Europe and the coastal area of North Africa.
Okay, I'll aim for that with the area.