Damta: A collaborative world

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
brblues
sinic
sinic

Re: Damta: A collaborative world

Post by brblues »

That sounds neat! I hope I can get my conlang through all the stages until that technology is created without cheating, such as having it go extinct at some point and then revived millenia later [:D]
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

brblues wrote: 06 Nov 2019 13:32
I did see that, good work! At some point we should also do the following with the map:

a) Different elevation heights; I assume this to be quite involved - though maybe k123456789y has already given some thought to the terrain when creating the map?

b) Rivers, as they will be quite important to the civilisations; their placement is naturally closely linked to a).

Working together would be great - if you were willing to join the unofficial CBB discord, communication could be made easier, but we could also just PM on here obviously!
I'm glad to hear :) I am thinking about a potential technique I could use to create different elevations, or the appearance of them. I'll make something to show what I'm talking about when I have the opportunity but it is basically overlaying textures over the map and adding shadow to them but it can look really nice.
brblues wrote: 06 Nov 2019 13:32 Another idea regarding migration: The Neduki themselves might, if they survive long enough, also develop a Txabao daughterlang, given they are simply that portion of the Txabao people that ventured eastwards, and then formed a kingdom there in the wake of the wars against the Bokisig people. If a portion of those people survives and stays in the general area, we could have a daughterlang that might eventually develop into Kodikeng instead of that just being an unknown factor.
That is another possibility. I just need to get some time to think about it as strange as it may sound haha. However I like the idea of the two people interacting for a good period of time.
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

Nachtuil wrote: 09 Nov 2019 04:09
I'm glad to hear :) I am thinking about a potential technique I could use to create different elevations, or the appearance of them. I'll make something to show what I'm talking about when I have the opportunity but it is basically overlaying textures over the map and adding shadow to them but it can look really nice.
That sounds great! Would doing that require knowledge of plate tectonics?
[...]

That is another possibility. I just need to get some time to think about it as strange as it may sound haha. However I like the idea of the two people interacting for a good period of time.
I can definitely relate, such decisions are not be taken lightly [:D]
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

brblues wrote: 11 Nov 2019 12:00
Nachtuil wrote: 09 Nov 2019 04:09
That sounds great! Would doing that require knowledge of plate tectonics?
Nah, just a way to treat it graphically. Plate tectonics could be used to inform it though. Hopefully I can make the time soon.
brblues wrote: 11 Nov 2019 12:00
[...]

I can definitely relate, such decisions are not be taken lightly [:D]
Hahaha, thank you for understanding. I probably am taking it too seriously just the same. :P I want to set up a timeline and made a wiki to do it. I just have not had enough time to dig into it but here is the link: (literally nothing has been done to the page): http://damta.wikidot.com/
I want to invite you all to be editors though. A timeline would help out (me a lot at least) and we could have maps for different stages of the history presented.
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

Nachtuil wrote: 13 Nov 2019 16:35
Nah, just a way to treat it graphically. Plate tectonics could be used to inform it though. Hopefully I can make the time soon.
That's what I meant, I wouldn't really know where to make ground higher and where not because plate tectonics are fairly difficult to me.

I want to set up a timeline and made a wiki to do it. I just have not had enough time to dig into it but here is the link: (literally nothing has been done to the page): http://damta.wikidot.com/
I want to invite you all to be editors though. A timeline would help out (me a lot at least) and we could have maps for different stages of the history presented.
Great idea! I will certainly be posting some stuff there once I get the time, and know how [:D]
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

I like plate tectonics myself though I don't have an expert level of experience with them.

I'll need to invite you guys. :) PM me your e-mails if you want to participate in it. I'm guessing you'll need to set up an account on wikidot as well.

Edit: Turns out email invitations are a paid feature so you guys need to make a user account first. Just PM me your user name and I can add you.
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

I tried to register with Wikidot, but unfortunately the email with the confirmation link never came through; has anybody had the same problem?
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

brblues wrote: 17 Nov 2019 17:17 I tried to register with Wikidot, but unfortunately the email with the confirmation link never came through; has anybody had the same problem?
i have the same problem ;-;
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

I'm honestly not too impressed with Wikidot so far. I can't seem to be even able to search for other users to add.
I guess we should use a different platform. Even a shared google doc would be sufficient for what I would like. Maybe we can use Frath wiki or some other wiki though. If not now, later.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I already link to [[Damta]] at my userpage there.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 89,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

We could just go with Frathwiki then?

EDIT: Apparently with them it's not just a matter of simply registering, but one must enter a biography (and possibly CV [O.O] ) and then be approved, something I'm not really willing to do right now.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

As yoi can see here, I had some trouble registering a few years back.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

A thought I had today: How about we use the Fandom wiki software to create a wiki for Damta? That's what we did with our Inner Bruise wiki.
♂♥♂♀

Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

I'm up for investigating it. I set up a page here: https://damta.miraheze.org/wiki/Main_Page
I wanted to suggest it because it seems nice with good features and unlimited storage but it has one major flaw which is that if the account is not used over a period of 60 days it may be deactivated. I don't know that it is sensible for long term use for that reason. If Fandom doesn't have that restriction and you're already familiar with it, maybe it is the superior option. I meant to respond sooner but life gets in the way, it finds a way *cue Jurassic Park music*.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I don't think Fandom has that restriction. I've used the Inner Bruise wiki, on and off, for a few years now without ever having my account deactivated.
♂♥♂♀

brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

Miraheze looks good, but the 60-day deactivation period also bugs me. I have now started a Damta Wiki on fandom, but much prefer the look of Miraheze, and also don't understand how it works really. I'm sure Khemehekis can assist though, and actually I should have left starting the fandom wiki to him overall on second thoughts. [>_<]

Should we go with fandom at all? If so, I would probably need everybody's usernames there to make you all admins too.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

brblues wrote: 26 Nov 2019 18:38 Miraheze looks good, but the 60-day deactivation period also bugs me. I have now started a Damta Wiki on fandom, but much prefer the look of Miraheze, and also don't understand how it works really. I'm sure Khemehekis can assist though, and actually I should have left starting the fandom wiki to him overall on second thoughts. [>_<]

Should we go with fandom at all? If so, I would probably need everybody's usernames there to make you all admins too.
fine by either, maybe go to miraheze.

my miraheze username is the same as the username I use here
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

https://damta.fandom.com/wiki/Damta_Wiki

I'm Savegraduation on the Fandom wiki.
♂♥♂♀

k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Khemehekis wrote: 02 Dec 2019 06:35 https://damta.fandom.com/wiki/Damta_Wiki

I'm Savegraduation on the Fandom wiki.
ok (:

I am k1234567890y there(and here and on discord xd)
brblues
sinic
sinic

Post by brblues »

My nick also is the same as here. Can everybody post and upload to our wiki or do we need specific rights?