Overview of my Realm

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
EvanFyous
rupestrian
rupestrian

Overview of my Realm

Post by EvanFyous »

I present a scratchpad of my conworld that I am currently developing. I'm planning on having a moderate amount of proto-languages spread across the world. It's current name is Eršélletu, but that was just a mostly meaningless word that I thought sounded cool at the time so the actual name is pending more thought. I will probably just refer to it as "the Realm" or similar in the meantime. The setting is a high-fantasy multi-planar world currently based on D&D 5e mechanics and is intended for use in my personal tabletop role playing campaigns. I plan to introduce new magic mechanics, opening up magic to more possibilities that are limited by D&D's mostly specific spell based system.

Basic Map of the Realm:
An interactive, labeled, and higher resolution map can be found on its WorldAnvil page located here.

Firstly, an overview of the Realm itself:
The Realm is similar to Earth in apparent size, however being a world filled with magic there are multiple planes of existence, with the terrestrial planes numbering seven. The Overworld is the topmost layer and the one most of my attention will likely be spent on. The Underdark and Underforest, the second and third layers respectively, are the layers that will likely be influential enough in the Overworld to warrant their own proto-languages that might interact (or eventually interact) with the Overworld's.

The Underdark is basically just an advanced mostly interconnected cave system that's large enough to host some select civilizations. The Underforest is deeper still and is the lusher version of the Underdark, this is also where some of the Realm's sapient Ent peoples reside.

A list of all the seven seams is below:

1. Overworld
  2. Underdark
  3. Underforest
  4. Fenndark
  5. Kaliagawm
  6. Gythril
  7. Kozakis
The current name of all the major landmasses are as follows (from left to right)

• Orellen
  • Zhartaj (the continent in the middle that's vaguely shaped like Africa)
  • Fásguroŝ (the very small island to the bottom right of Zhartaj)
  • Tayina (the continent shaped vaguely like the number '7')
  • Arcenes (the continent occupying the south pole)
These names are subject to change, although I am pretty happy with them, at least aesthetically. The landmasses themselves are likely to be adjusted, I'm thinking of making Zhartaj a bit taller and reworking biomes, but changes more extensive than that are less likely.

Sapient Species of the Realm:
Unlike Earth, there are more sapient species, or "races", than just humans which currently number 11. That number is likely to grow as most of these are just the overworld races and I haven't considered most of the other planes yet. Below is a list and description of the races:

• Humans
    • One of the more populous and widespread of the overworld races, humans are found throughout the realm and originated in Tayina and spread to all the other continents from there. They typically live between 70-80 years They are considered the first species of Man as they were created by the firstborn, Eiyrnas, of the Greater Divine being Eiyr in a competition with its other siblings.
  • Elves
    • One of the other more populous races in the overworld, elves also originated in Tayina shortly after humans did. They are considered the second species of Man as they were created by the second-born, Suzarnas, of the Greater Divine being Eiyr in a competition with its other siblings. Elves have a typical lifespan of 200 years with very few living past 230.
  • Dwarves
    • Dwarves are short humanoids who take on many skin colors based on their home environment, for example dwarves that are born near the sea are various shades of blue. Dwarves originated in Tayina shortly after Elves did. They are considered the third species of Man as they were created by the third-born, Maddadnas, of the Greater Divine being Eiyr in a competition with its other siblings. Dwarves live on average between 100 and 180 years old.
  • Gnomes
    • Gnomes are short humanoids who are more slender than dwarves that also share many traits with elves. Gnomes originated in Tayina shortly after dwarves did. They are considered the fourth species of Man as they were created by the fourth-born, Suíanas, of the Greater Divine being Eiyr in a competition with its other siblings. Gnomes have no definitive biological lifespan, some live not much longer than 40 years, others can live to over 300, although that is very uncommon. Many gnomes use special magic to learn their maximum biological age because of this.
  • Bonoduʻ
    • Bonodu are the frog-like peoples native to the mystical swamps of inner Zhartaj. Mechanically they are near identical to the Grung of D&D 5e. Their larynx is unique in that it always vibrates, making true voiceless consonants impossible for the Bonoduʻ. They tend to live on average for 60-70 years and are typically not found far from their ancestral home swamp
  • Zági
    • Zági are jaguar-like peoples native to the Zhagéri Jungles on Zhartaj. Mechanically they are near identical to the Tabaxi of D&D 5e. They tend to form small tribes in loose confederations. Zági tend to live around 120 years but very rarely any longer than that.
  • Minotaurs
    • Bovine-headed humanoids that are native to Orellen. Minotaurs are the extant sapient theriocephalous species in the Realm; there were more theriocephalolids, but the bovines found favor of the gods and so all others were stripped of their sapience and eventually went extinct. Minotaurs typically live to about 90 years old.
  • Ents
    • Are vaguely humanoid tree people who are found throughout the wooded areas of the realm. There are two main varieties/sub-species of Ents depending on their habitat: Forest/Overworld Ents and Underforest Ents. Forest Ents inhabit the overworld's forests while Underforest Ents are mostly sequestered to the Underforest, the third layer of the realm. Ents are one of the few sapient creatures that all innately speak the same language and write using the same orthography, both given to them from their divine creator. Although they are capable of learning others. Ents are the longest-lived overworld race on average at 220 years.
  • Nifarzhi
    • Pale Ones or Nifarzhi are a large crustaceal demon humanoid found most typically between the lowermost layers of the Underdark and the uppermost layers of the swampy fourth layer, the Fenndark. Although completely lacking eyes, pale ones have incredibly precise 'sight' from their Tremorsense, especially when in their native environment, the underground and cavernous lakes below the Underforest. There are two major subspecies: aquaticum and semaquaticum, with the former being entirely aquatic while the latter lives parts of its life on (subterranean) land. Their average lifespan is roughly 100 years.
  • Dragons
    • here be them
  • Dragonborn
    • Dragonborn were originally created to be the servants and messengers of dragons but eventually they broke free from their dragon dominion.

Languages and Proto-Languages Overview
I'm planning on have a moderate amount of proto-languages in the Overworld, I'm thinking no more than 4 per each continent for a total of around 16. I doubt most will be very fleshed out, but I want to make at least a couple of fuller and more developed ones. I do plan on having a few of these languages be "divine" meaning that they are innate to some and mostly unchanging like the Ent peoples native language, which is magically bestowed upon them by their creator. Essentially, magical language isolates of which I currently have 3 planned.

Proto-Languages
  • Proto-Khrazk a ɴᴏᴍ-ᴀᴄᴄ language that originated in northeastern Orellen and whose daughters are planned to be similar to Polish.
    • Phonology
      Spoiler:
      Pretty simple, really just have the basic sounds determined.Image
    • Grammar
      Spoiler:
      ɴᴏᴍ-ᴀᴄᴄ is all I got so far >.<
  • Proto-Ũdobundõan a language spoken by frog peoples in the central swamps of Zhartaj
    • Phonology
      Spoiler:
      TBD
    • Grammar
      Spoiler:
      TBD
  • Proto-Aetoran which split into Eastern-Aetoran and Western-Aetoran.
    • Phonology
      Spoiler:
      TBD
    • Grammar
      Spoiler:
      TBD
  • Ærdan a divine language created by Connirof who gifts it to all Ents.
    • Phonology
      Spoiler:
      Nothing too fancy hereImage
    • Grammar
      Spoiler:
      TBD

Religions Overview
Various deities actually exist in the realm and many are followed in differing ways by different religions. Some people follow deities that don't even exist purely on faith because most of the deities rarely interact directly with mankind and those that do are often deities specific to a certain region or species like Connirof, the divine being and progenitor of Ents. Because the realm has canonical gods, there also exists a pantheon to relate them. No religions follow the canonical pantheon exactly, but some come closer to reality than others. Of course the adherents of these religions would have no way to know that for certain.

The canonical pantheon's naming structure mostly for my own organizational purposes is below:
Spoiler:
And the canonical pantheon of the deities which are still very much unfinished and are all subject to change is below:
Spoiler:
Religions
Spoiler:
  • The Konko-Ateric Religions are religions that were founded with major belief in the god Aterlon, a water/lake deity in northeastern Tayina. There are two major branches where the god is worshiped as either Aterlon, a lake deity, or Konko, a drum based deity of water that has two sisters; hence Konko-Ateric.
    • Tritympadelphism: Three gods named Iya, Kolo, and Ito who are associated with Fire, Water, and Death represented in culture through drums.
    • Iyanism: Similar to Tritympadelphism except worship is focused on the Iya the fire goddess. There are two forms, exclusive and inclusive, with the exclusive rejecting the other two gods of Tritympadelphism.
    • Konkolism: Similar to Tritympadelphism except worship is focused on the Konko the water goddess. There are two forms, exclusive and inclusive, with the exclusive rejecting the other two gods of Tritympadelphism.
    • Itolism: Similar to Tritympadelphism except worship is focused on the Ito the death goddess. There are two forms, exclusive and inclusive, with the exclusive rejecting the other two gods of Tritympadelphism.

That's all for right now, I'll be periodically updating this post. Questions/comments/whatever are welcome! :)
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: Overview of my Realm

Post by elemtilas »

Nice work so far!

I look forward especially to cultural & historic updates!

Have you made any pictures of your peoples or places? (Apart from the map!) Would love to see those as well.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

You know, it's nice to see an old-school D&D-style world now and then!

[it seems most of us either produce largely 'naturalistic' worlds, or else highly imaginative bizarre worlds]

[wait, 'Grung'? There weren't enough sentient species in D&D already!? The Slaad and the Kuo-toa weren't enough, there needed to be a third frog species? Wait, Siv too...]

[oh, ok, apparently Grung were around as monsters in greyhawk in AD&D. Bah humbug.]

Anyway, a serious point: you might want to reconsider having ents, as they belong to the Tolkien Estate. It's not really clear why - after all, he invented orcs too, and they exist in other fantasy worlds. Although outside Tolkien, they're often called orks, possibly for copyright reasons. Anyway, you'll note that D&D has orcs, it avoids (avoided?) ents, and renames "hobbits" as "halflings" to avoid being sued.
EvanFyous
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by EvanFyous »

elemtilas wrote: 09 May 2020 01:25 Have you made any pictures of your peoples or places? (Apart from the map!) Would love to see those as well.
Just maps and flags so far, I'm not actually an illustrator and all I really know how to do are maps, flags, and kinda fonts. One of my players made some art of their dwarven character, but that's not mine to post. I always imagined character/location art as final touches or added as needed for game play. Once I get some more defined cultures I might do some commissions if all things go well.

Salmoneus wrote: 09 May 2020 17:29 [wait, 'Grung'? There weren't enough sentient species in D&D already!? The Slaad and the Kuo-toa weren't enough, there needed to be a third frog species? Wait, Siv too...]
I based them off Grung since 5e is the only edition I have any real experience with, I didn't realize D&D even had that many frog people.
Salmoneus wrote: 09 May 2020 17:29 Anyway, a serious point: you might want to reconsider having ents, as they belong to the Tolkien Estate. It's not really clear why - after all, he invented orcs too, and they exist in other fantasy worlds. Although outside Tolkien, they're often called orks, possibly for copyright reasons. Anyway, you'll note that D&D has orcs, it avoids (avoided?) ents, and renames "hobbits" as "halflings" to avoid being sued.
This is the first time I've heard this, I probably should read or watch some Tolkien sometime lol. Well once I have more substance to my 'ent' language, Aerdan, I will probably come up with a new name like I did with the Bonodu' and Zagi. I don't plan on having hobbits/halflings. Although, I'd probably let players use the stats of a halfling in game play if they wanted, they'd just canonically be a gnome or dwarf.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

This was pointed out to us, and I thought this was an interesting topic that arose early enough that it might be worth splitting apart (it makes for a broader discussion of the topic, and it prevents the original thread from being derailed too much).

I haven't moved everything that talks about Tolkien and copyright, because that would involve copying various bits here and there, and I'm not overly in the habit of editing other people's stuff without good reason (I think the only time I've done that was in the now locked "pic of the day..." thread for... reasons...), but if anyone's interested in continuing the copyright conversation, you can find it here, and then that leaves this thread for EvanFyous' stuff here [:)]

And also hello and welcome to EvanFyous [:)] Can see that you've been a member for like three months now, but nice first post. I'm with Sal, definitely loving the DnD-type world. Hope we get to see more [:)]
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
EvanFyous
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by EvanFyous »

sangi39 wrote: 10 May 2020 01:06 And also hello and welcome to EvanFyous [:)] Can see that you've been a member for like three months now, but nice first post. I'm with Sal, definitely loving the DnD-type world. Hope we get to see more [:)]
Thanks I appreciate it! I'll be posting more and editing the OP too once I have more stuff ready. :)
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

not bad

and it seems to have a Tolkien vibe. You are a fan of Tolkien?
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
EvanFyous
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by EvanFyous »

k1234567890y wrote: 12 May 2020 18:19 not bad

and it seems to have a Tolkien vibe. You are a fan of Tolkien?
Haha, can't really say whether I'm a fan or not since I've yet to read or watch anything Tolkien, but I probably would be if I did.