What if Aztlan and Atlantis were cognate names?

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: What if Aztlan and Atlantis were cognate names?

Post by Khemehekis »

Don't forget that Jim Hopkins' Itlani people originated on Atlantis! One more cognate to take into consideration . . .
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Khemehekis wrote: 07 Feb 2021 12:46 Don't forget that Jim Hopkins' Itlani people originated on Atlantis! One more cognate to take into consideration . . .
That is a good point! I think he should be asked!
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Salmoneus wrote: 30 Jun 2020 15:02 orichalcum (an imaginary metal)
Actually I've heard a theory that orichalcum may be:
A. An otherwise unattested dialectal word for "electrum", that became known as a mythical metal by Plato's time
or
B. If the story has non-Greek sources, one may have described electrum as "mountain copper" and a Greek, thinking it was its own thing calqued "Orichalcum"
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Shemtov wrote: 07 Oct 2021 01:37
Salmoneus wrote: 30 Jun 2020 15:02 orichalcum (an imaginary metal)
Actually I've heard a theory that orichalcum may be:
A. An otherwise unattested dialectal word for "electrum", that became known as a mythical metal by Plato's time
or
B. If the story has non-Greek sources, one may have described electrum as "mountain copper" and a Greek, thinking it was its own thing calqued "Orichalcum"
Lots of argument over what it is. It's not exactly "imaginary". I think such consensus as there can be at present leans towards it being some kind brass. The Romans did mint sestertii from a kind of brass, and they are often a nice somewhat muted mustard colour. That's as good a candidate as any.