The World of Einea

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
HopeCPressF
rupestrian
rupestrian

The World of Einea

Post by HopeCPressF »

In a theoretically infinite universe and/or multiverse, limited elements that can arrange themselves in limited ways are occasionally very likely to arrange these groups of elements in similar way to our own world. On very rare occasions, in identical ways, and somewhere in the middle, ways that are similar to our Earth, but with a certain twist.

Something changed here, something omitted there. A different star, named Tekram; two different moons, named Middagh and Saddagh, one of which can support life; a different solar system. No extinction wiping out the planet’s equivalent of non-avian dinosaurs. But, humans, or at least creatures close enough to humans that we would recognise them as such. Cultures. Languages. The ways that man has shaped the planet. The planet that helms this project is called Einea, or the Eine. It comes from the Lefaneie (a former great empire) word meaning ‘land,’ from the name of an extinct tribe known as the Einura.

The focus of this project will vary. Einea is somewhere between fantasy and sci-fi; harder science that Star Wars, but softer than true hard sci-fi. There is genuinely a great deal of speculative evolution involved in the design of the creatures of the Eine, particularly those affected by anthropogenic factors and creatures that have evolved to fit different niches than their Terran equivalents.

However, though this will not be the focus, there will also be hints at the aforementioned cultures and languages, as many of the creatures in the Eine hold religious, cultural and spiritual significance to the Einean population, appearing as the faces of gods, beasts of burden, and occasionally companions. There will be some conlanging elements, with Lefaneie being the most developed language.

So, expect updates. I’ll be starting with the planet itself, though I’ll go more into things like climate and biomes than exact measurements of its size and distance from its sun. Then I'll go into countries, animals, cultures, languages - whatever anyone is interested in!

EINEA: THE PLANET AND ITS MOONS

For the last year or so I've been hard at work on a novel set in Einea, having as of September moved on from the draft writing phase to the editing phase. Taking a break from that, in this post I plan to talk about Einea as a planet and its moons.

Einea is slightly smaller than earth, with a gravity of 0.96G, and a wider equatorial tropical band due to being closer to its sun within the tropical band than Earth. Its location relative to Earth within the universe is unknown, but the planet itself exists in a solar system known as the Tekran System after its central star, Tekran. Other planets that orbit Tekran include the far-out gas giant, Yos.

Einea has an orbital rotation period of roughly 300 23-hour days, and the most common calendar, first posited by the Zhayry Priests of Skander-Sareen, divides that year into ten months of three ten-day weeks. Because the planet's rotation period is not entirely regular, occasionally a 'Vattedi' is performed, wherein an extra day is accepted as a public holiday by mathematicians. This day is frequently turned into an occasion for fetes and fairs.

Here is a map of Einea with all of its countries, as of the year 1,042 NE, labelled and coloured. The continents are, from left to right: Huzun, Tokarey, and Akkand. Real-life influences on the worldbuilding of these countries vary wildly, so I will be focusing on one of them - the large, orange one known as Dubcloch, currently, separated into provinces.

Dubloch is a vast country, diverse biologically, culturally, climatically and geographically. Much of the country's central and north-west area is scorching desert, (leading to the sizes of the provinces of Odsil and Tanateum, as large, spread-out states tend to be larger) becoming a rough, scrubby steppe and then a continental climate with cold, snowy winters and hot summers. Other notable climatic areas include the country's western extremity, Hetterfield, an ethnic enclave with a mixed steppe and subtropical climate; the peninsula of Uglyhill, which has a frigid pine-filled subantarctic climate; the eastern province of Shwmlyddy, which has a Mediterranean climate perfect for vineyards and al-Andalus-inspired architecture; and the peninsula and province of Narrahan, with a culture built on trade with neighbouring Akkand and a humid savannah climate.

I hope this was interesting! I have so much to talk about; flora, fauna, languages, cultures - if any of you liked this, let me know what sounds best!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: The World of Einea

Post by elemtilas »

HopeCPressF wrote: 27 Dec 2020 15:53 I hope this was interesting! I have so much to talk about; flora, fauna, languages, cultures - if any of you liked this, let me know what sounds best!
I should say so!

Welcome and please keep telling us anything you'd like to about Einea!
HopeCPressF
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by HopeCPressF »

AN INTRODUCTION TO THE CITY OF CINURA

Seen here, Cinura is marked as a circle at Roït's (in blue) southern tip, while Adrest is marked far to the north-east north of Fillead. Note also the circle in the orange archipelago - that being Immunen, the capital of the Falaric Isles.

Cinura, Roït, is located near the bottom of the world, the third-most southern city in Einea after Tūle in Olloland in the far east and Immunen in the Falaric Isles to the south. Though the official capital of Roït is Adrest to the country’s north, Cinura is often considered its unofficial or ‘cultural’ capital by the Roïtian population. Roït in its current state, though officially overseen by a prime minister in Adrest, exists as a puppet state of the greater Dubclochian Empire centred in Canalas City..

Cinura lies near the southern Roïtian Peninsula, an area with a climate classified as ‘subtropical ocean-mitigated tundra.’ Most trees here are conifers, strong and stout to withstand harsh winters and heavy snows. The tops of the mountains in the country-spanning Shruden Range shine white throughout the year, and blizzards are not infrequent in winter. Lichen is the most common plant, covering nearly all rock not blasted clean by freezing winds.

However, Cinura is shielded from the harshest that the peninsula offers due to its location surrounded by a ‘bowl’ of mountains in the southern Shruden Range; the sarensago, as it is known in Cinuravese. Within the sarensago there is a huge diversification of flora and fauna compared to the rest of the peninsula: unique varieties of berries, fruits and lush broad-leaved trees and bushes grow here, fed on by native tapirs, birds and monkeys. The sarensago supports countless species aside from these, including the elusive bjudeer, puff-thirns (a kind of small theropod dinosaur with thick feathers), and various macropods including the enormous stiltwalker, though biodiversity decreases southwards, as the sarensago no longer offers protection from the elements. The southernmost tip of the peninsula can be accessed through the frozen south of the sarensago, partly through an ancient, narrow passage called Wry Neck, carved from the glacier that formed as the sarensago cirque drained into the sea tens of thousands of years ago.

Though the city known as Cinura is relatively young, being founded as a protective fortress for refugees 203 years before time of writing (1023 NM) during the Royal Reclamations, the area the city was built on has seen human occupation since before recorded history. Archaeological evidence, though quite scant, hints at permanent native settlement as many as 5,000 years before present. Aside from a few fractured ancient stone stelae, which bear similar markings to those left by the Ahienure people of south-west Tokarey, very little remains of whoever came before.

The name of the city may be a harkening to these ancient times, too; The word ‘Cinura’ bears similarities to ‘Ahienure’ and ‘Ahienuric,’ something that has not gone unnoticed, though other theories propose the name originates from the Inivanese kineuro, ‘haven,’ or the T’fonkese sigo meaning ‘bowl,’ as a reference to the city’s location in the sarensago.

Cinura's buildings are also noticeably coloured almost entirely blue - here's a quote from the novel I'm working on that talks about it.

The cold meant that the richer Cinures tended to be, the further north they tended to live. This was exemplified by the far north district of Murkurkil, where the posh, shiny men like the parliamentarians and the elderate lived luxuriously in huge villas with vaulted ceilings and servant-tended gardens. Unlike the rest of the city, these houses were not blue, but a cold grey, all built en masse about ninety years ago with the new wave of Canalasian migrants after the failed rebellion, all ornate and laden with silver and gold. Alrik could see them from his vantage, their grey encircling the blue city like stones around a pond.
Torco
sinic
sinic

Post by Torco »

Ah, you had. nice

I like the maps! no, for real. they're pragmatic, and I kinda do the same tbh. How's about something on the general way of life of these people? tech level, that kinda thing. preindustrial agriculturalists? star-wars like interstellar empire frontiersmen?
HopeCPressF
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by HopeCPressF »

Torco wrote: 29 Dec 2020 06:53 Ah, you had. nice

I like the maps! no, for real. they're pragmatic, and I kinda do the same tbh. How's about something on the general way of life of these people? tech level, that kinda thing. preindustrial agriculturalists? star-wars like interstellar empire frontiersmen?
Hello! Yeah, I don't claim to be a cartographer - visual arts aren't really my strength in general - but they're useful to show what I want to show.

And the way of life for people across the world is an interesting question. Of course, it varies from place to place - even on earth some people still live hunter-gatherer lifestyles while others live in industrialised cities - but Einea, as of the year 1042 NM (the time of the novel I'm writing), is in its equivalent (roughly) of the mid-1800s.

A few things have been created earlier than on earth, like typewriters and electric trams, though the latter are powered by magically-powered electricity stations in Einea, and as magical materials are expensive, trams are incredibly dear to ride on and restricted to the upper eschelon of wealth.

However, this reliance on highly expensive magical fuel has delayed the development of non-magical steam power technologies - non-arcane steam engines were only patented by partners Nammon and Febes in 1037, five years before the time of my novel, and as of the novel's writing, the tracks that will run the first locomotives using Nammon-Febes engines are being built, but are not completed.

The majority of overland travel is performed by juksha-drawn carriage - juksha being a kind of hornless rhinoceros relative coming in two main varieties; gracile juksha are akin to riding horses in our own world, while robust juksha are more similar to oxen. Horses do not exist in Einea.

Importantly, this is not the only time period I plan to set stories in. As well as writing sequels set in the years closely following 1042, I have ideas set in Einea antiquity, its middle ages (with care to avoid any tired worldbuilding tropes there), it's prehistory involving extraterrestrials, its equivalent of the 20th and 21st century, and its far future space age. So I've got a lot of stuff in mind.

EDIT: There's also a whole thing with a magical telegram called the paltwire network but this feels too long already.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

HopeCPressF wrote: 29 Dec 2020 13:48 EDIT: There's also a whole thing with a magical telegram called the paltwire network but this feels too long already.
Not too long at all!

Q: why can't the steam driven trains run on the same tracks as the magical ones? Different gauge or some other reason?

Q: also, tell us more about these hornless nosehornbeasts!

I get some similar vibes with my own world, so I'm certain I'm going to enjoy reading about Einea!
Torco
sinic
sinic

Post by Torco »

seconded, it makes me feel my domestic wildebeest aren't that unusual.
HopeCPressF
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by HopeCPressF »

elemtilas wrote: 29 Dec 2020 15:07
HopeCPressF wrote: 29 Dec 2020 13:48 EDIT: There's also a whole thing with a magical telegram called the paltwire network but this feels too long already.
Not too long at all!

Q: why can't the steam driven trains run on the same tracks as the magical ones? Different gauge or some other reason?

Q: also, tell us more about these hornless nosehornbeasts!

I get some similar vibes with my own world, so I'm certain I'm going to enjoy reading about Einea!
Thank you guys! I really appreciate it. As for your questions:

Q1 - There aren't any magically-powered trains - just trams in some of the world's biggest cities. These have much shallower tracks and a more limited distribution than a full train system.

Q2 - My juksha are actually ripped wholeheartedly off of a real extinct genus called Juxia - which I presume is nerdy enough that most people won't notice and those that do will just smile a bit - which is a kind of indricothere. Their general appearance is something like this. Note also that various animals similar to extinct ones on earth still live and interact with humans in Einea.

Interestingly, also, as the indricothere family has many species on earth, its Einean equivalent does also - including something like the towering Paraceratherium. In Einea, their most common name is the nierhon - this comes from the Old Lefaneie nie rojon, meaning 'little god.'

See here a nierhon compared to an African Elephant. Nierhons have limited use to humans - they are incredibly hard to kill, and are not as agreeable in temperament as their domesticated juksha cousins or the selectively bred elephant kinds of the continent of Huzun (the far left on my map). If you do manage to kill one, though, the amount of meat and leather you can gain is mind-boggling.
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

looks nice (:
In a theoretically infinite universe and/or multiverse, limited elements that can arrange themselves in limited ways are occasionally very likely to arrange these groups of elements in similar way to our own world. On very rare occasions, in identical ways, and somewhere in the middle, ways that are similar to our Earth, but with a certain twist.
This is also the explanations I use for my conworlds - many of them are alt-earths with different arrangement of landmasses.
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.