Momṭẓʿālemeōm Mythology

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Momṭẓʿālemeōm Mythology

Post by Shemtov »

Extract from the General Commands to All Conquered Nation Upon them Making Peace:
At first, only the All-God, hermaphroditic, existed. They impregnated themselves and had four children: The Earth-Goddess, The Sun God, The Moon Goddess, and the Great God Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl, who created mankind. The Sun and Moon married, and had twin boys: The Storm God, and the Mind God. The Storm God married the Earth, and had Death, hermaphroditic. These descendants of the All-God met as the Tlapōcātl, with Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl setting down the rule that mankind can only dedicate shrines to Tlapōcātl, for Tlapōcātl had made Tlitl, lower deities. They also made tribes of "Angels" to serve them, such as the Juēitz῾iḷ, Winged Serpent spirits from Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl. They also set up roles: The Sun also had control of real time, the Moon of Ritual Time. The Storm had mindless violence, and his twin, Mind, Strategic Warfare and Pleasant Winds. Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl took Human Governance, Power, and Luck. One of Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl's Tlitl was his Prophet- who told his will to mankind. Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl's Prophet could take human form, and impregnated a human woman. This line led to the kings, who petitioned Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl to make his Prophet a Tlapōcātl , who agreed, but Death objected, saying they wished to make their chief Psychopomp Tlitl into a Tlapōcātl that judges the dead, and Death themselves would create illness. Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl assented, and thus the Order of the Gods was set.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: Momṭẓʿālemeōm Mythology

Post by Shemtov »

In their prehistory, the people who would become the Momṭẓʿālemeōm migrated from a tropical region to a subtropical/temperate area. Their prehistoric calendar was thus lunar, consisting of 12 months, of the following order (corresponding to the modern Tlapōcātl):
Sun
Earth I
Mind I
Storm I
Death I
Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl I
Earth II
Moon
Mind II
Storm II
Death II
Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl II

When they migrated, this changed to a lunisolar calendar, with the Embolismic month added every two or three years being called "All-God".
They also slowly adapted a concurrent solar calendar, which they used for diplomacy and the various harvest taxes that were enacted over the centuries.

When the Cuātlicañ Dynasty started, and Chief Psychopomp and Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl's Prophet were added to the Tlapōcātl, they tried various reforms of the Lunisolar calendar, and landed on the following arrangement:
Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl I
Sun
Moon
Earth
Mind
Storm
Death
Psychopomp
Tribe of Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl
Cuātlicañ Dynasty
Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl's Prophet
Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl II

This reform also meant that while the Solar New Year was kept on the spring equinox, Lunisolar New Year was moved to be in late spring/early summer, instead of being the closest New Moon to the spring equinox.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
Shemtov
runic
runic

Re: Momṭẓʿālemeōm Mythology

Post by Shemtov »

To understand the mythical history of the Momṭẓʿālemeōm one needs to understand the ethnic makeup of the Momṭẓʿālemeōm empire. There are three major ethnic groups: The Momṭẓʿālemeōm proper, who came over the sea from a southern continent, who make up the majority, The native Ziḥanic peoples, who live in pockets throughtout the Empire, except in the South, the Sub-tropical region, where they were almost totally eridicated, and the Tlahcozain, a mixed people of Ziḥanic and Momṭẓʿālemeōm heritage, who speak divergent Momṭẓʿālemeōm languages with Ziḥanic influence and live in the northwest of the Sub-tropical southern region.

The modern mythology is a mixture of old Momṭẓʿālemeōm mythology, and the syncretic mythology of the Tlahcozain. This is because some early Momṭẓʿālemeōm dynasties had connections with the Tlahcozain states. Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl is a major example of this- traditional Momṭẓʿālemeōm mythology relegated him to being a relatively minor deity in the pantheon who controlled luck and was the patron of Cacao and Tobacco growers, who ruled over a group of Snallygaster-like supernatural beings. The Tlahcozain syncretized him with the Ziḥanic Serpent God, who was of great importance. The dynasties who had contact with the Tlahcozain states slowly adopted the Tlahcozain version.

This produces one of the most important myths of the Momṭẓʿālemeōm. They believe that Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl was always important, but Death and their father Storm confused mankind. Eventually, Death/Storm and Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl made peace, but only the Tlahcozain and the "Twenty Nobles" still recognized Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl as important. He thus sent his Prophet to marry a Tlahcozain woman, Cazilcu'ā daughter of Juāztec, who had twenty daughters by him. Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl's Prophet then arranged that the oldest sons of the Twenty Nobles each take a daughter of Cazilcu'ā, thus producing what is known as the Tribe of Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl. Only the male line of the Tribe of Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl can be Emperors. The Cuātlicañ Dynasty claims that previous dynasties violated the laws of the Second Council of Tlapōcātl, and so were demoted.

The Cuātlicañ Dynasty has a royal history of the world, from the Creation Myth, through the formation of the Tribe of Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl, and the histories of the previous dynasties, to the rise of Cuātlicañ, and the exaltation of Psychopomp and Juēitz῾iḷapōcātl's Prophet, in a book only available to The Royal Family, certain nobles, and their scribes called The Great Record of Gods and Kings.
-JRR Tolkien