Extroverts, introverts, dopamine, and conworlding

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Extroverts, introverts, dopamine, and conworlding

Post by Khemehekis »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 05 Aug 2021 18:41 I have always described myself as an introvert, but I realize that I'm not quite as "hardcore" as many introverts online. For example, most introverts I know hate parties. I actually love parties, especially if I'm with a group of friends. It's true that I may start out quiet but I become more social and talkative as the party goes on to the point where I eventually feel I can talk to anybody there (alcohol often plays a role, but I don't need to be drunk to enjoy a decent-sized social gathering). I also love going to restaurants, even crowded ones, and do not shy away from bustling cxties, concerts, or other events. But I know I'm an introvert because I can only do things like this infrequently. Too much socializing and I need a break, I need some alone time, I need to sit down with a book for a while or get back to conlanging/conworlding.
I understand what you're saying. I remember there was some guy (I think college-age) who joined FrathWiki awhile back, and he listed his interests as conlanging, making music, video games, and "not going to parties". I thought, I'm down with the conlanging and music, but I can't get with the video games part nor the 'not going to parties' part.
I absolutely understand the "rush" you describe. I guess I just achieve it with more difficulty. Conlanging for me can be quite laborious and it often causes me to become frustrated and dissatisfied with what I've produced. That said, when I do accomplish something worthwhile and something I'm very satisfied with (the same thing applies to my novel-writing), I become almost ecstatic. Even better is when I get to share it with others and have them appreciate it as well (granted that happens more often with my creative writing than with my conlanging/conworlding, but still).
Cool! So you get it too. IIRC, you mostly make a posteriori langs, right? Since Lehola is another galaxy, all of my Leholangs have to be a priori (except LIE, of course). If I were working on an a posteriori conlang, I'd probably be tearing out my long Kurt Cobain hair and beard trying to get it right!

Christian, someone with whom I work, just called me this morning and asked, "What's up?" I told him that Kankonian, a language spoken in the Lehola Galaxy that I was creating, had reached its twenty-fifth birthday. Christian said, "This I have GOT to see!", and he asked me why it wasn't in the news everywhere that a fictional language was turning 25.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 07 Aug 2021 03:48 Well, I agree with you on that. Taking the word for "father" and creating the word for "mother", not with an M, but by adding a feminizing suffix, seems . . . . non-human. I could almost say "unnaturalistic". (Though as soon as I said it, I expect someone to shock me with an ANADEW -- some natlang that has a word like "fatheress".)
Hm. Perhaps an interesting quest for someone conversant with WALS or something! I'd personally put a penny to a pound saying that NO natural human culture / language does this.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Khemehekis wrote: 07 Aug 2021 03:48 Well, I agree with you on that. Taking the word for "father" and creating the word for "mother", not with an M, but by adding a feminizing suffix, seems . . . . non-human. I could almost say "unnaturalistic". (Though as soon as I said it, I expect someone to shock me with an ANADEW -- some natlang that has a word like "fatheress".)
A German PhD student’s dissertation advisor is their Doktorvater.
Unless she’s a woman.
In which case she’s their Doktorvaterin.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

eldin raigmore wrote: 08 Aug 2021 04:55
A German PhD student’s dissertation advisor is their Doktorvater.
Unless she’s a woman.
In which case she’s their Doktorvaterin.
Curious, though I couldn't find that term. I could only find [urlhttps://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doktorvater]Doktormutter[/url].
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Khemehekis wrote: 07 Aug 2021 03:56 Cool! So you get it too. IIRC, you mostly make a posteriori langs, right? Since Lehola is another galaxy, all of my Leholangs have to be a priori (except LIE, of course). If I were working on an a posteriori conlang, I'd probably be tearing out my long Kurt Cobain hair and beard trying to get it right!

Christian, someone with whom I work, just called me this morning and asked, "What's up?" I told him that Kankonian, a language spoken in the Lehola Galaxy that I was creating, had reached its twenty-fifth birthday. Christian said, "This I have GOT to see!", and he asked me why it wasn't in the news everywhere that a fictional language was turning 25.
I make languages that have a posteriori grammar and a priori lexemes. It's still tough, though, especially when you have several different a posteriori sources (various IE reconstructions, Hittite, Ancient Greek, etc.)

And that's awesome--we all need a supportive enthusiastic friend [:D]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

elemtilas wrote: 08 Aug 2021 05:38 Curious, though I couldn't find that term. I could only find Doktormutter.
?? Maybe I should have said “used to be” instead of “is”?
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

eldin raigmore wrote: 09 Aug 2021 17:45
elemtilas wrote: 08 Aug 2021 05:38 Curious, though I couldn't find that term. I could only find Doktormutter.
?? Maybe I should have said “used to be” instead of “is”?
Search me!

I'll leave that to the Germanists!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 09 Aug 2021 17:38 I make languages that have a posteriori grammar and a priori lexemes. It's still tough, though, especially when you have several different a posteriori sources (various IE reconstructions, Hittite, Ancient Greek, etc.)
That sounds about right. I remember now -- you have an a priori word for "young man" in one of your languages that's spelt with FH, to represent a sound found in only one known natlang.
And that's awesome--we all need a supportive enthusiastic friend [:D]
Totally! I've known a number of people who thought Kankonia and the Kankonian language were just so awesome. Shelby from Recovery Innovations comes to mind. She read the main page on Kankonia and the Kankonian grammar and the health and healthcare page and looked at my script, and even laughed at the linguolabial trill.
♂♥♂♀

KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

Khemehekis wrote: 11 Aug 2021 04:24 That sounds about right. I remember now -- you have an a priori word for "young man" in one of your languages that's spelt with FH, to represent a sound found in only one known natlang.

Totally! I've known a number of people who thought Kankonia and the Kankonian language were just so awesome. Shelby from Recovery Innovations comes to mind. She read the main page on Kankonia and the Kankonian grammar and the health and healthcare page and looked at my script, and even laughed at the linguolabial trill.
I can't believe you remembered that [:)] Yes, the bidental fricative, found in only one dialect of Adyghe, occurs in a dialect of Lihmelinyan, where the standard variety has /f/. Dialectal Lihmelinyan fhéntas /'h̪͆ɛn.tas/, "young man, youth".

That's great--I need to spread awareness of my work more widely [xD]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

KaiTheHomoSapien wrote: 21 Aug 2021 21:27 I can't believe you remembered that [:)] Yes, the bidental fricative, found in only one dialect of Adyghe, occurs in a dialect of Lihmelinyan, where the standard variety has /f/. Dialectal Lihmelinyan fhéntas /'h̪͆ɛn.tas/, "young man, youth".

That's great--I need to spread awareness of my work more widely [xD]
Bidental fricative -- that's it!

Kankonian has a voiceless linguolabial trill, which is not phonemic in any Terran natlang.
♂♥♂♀