A One World Language

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
sangi39

Re: A One World Language

Post by sangi39 »

I think this thread has veered off topic a fair bit (although, again, I'm still not sure what the original topic was supposed to actually be), so, if possible, would people mind getting back on topic, or it might be worth locking the thread
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
tikoo
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by tikoo »

sangi39 wrote: 14 Oct 2021 18:47 I think this thread has veered off topic a fair bit (although, again, I'm still not sure what the original topic was supposed to actually be), so, if possible, would people mind getting back on topic, or it might be worth locking the thread
Having a one world language is not a new idea. I reason if one could exist it would be a conlang. The word cheeseburger may occur in a 3S language with the sounds ch, ee, z, b, r, and g being present and meaningful and these individual senses will combine when they associate closely. In my 3S language cheezbrgr means something like 'a symphony is within you'. Well, imagine a cafe menu illustrating a ground beef sandwich with the caption- Eat a Symphony.

Only the reader's mind has gone off-topic.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

sangi39 wrote: 14 Oct 2021 18:47 I think this thread has veered off topic a fair bit (although, again, I'm still not sure what the original topic was supposed to actually be), so, if possible, would people mind getting back on topic, or it might be worth locking the thread
Sometimes a thread just doesn't have a strongly focused original topic. I think this might one of them.
tikoo wrote: 14 Oct 2021 20:48 Having a one world language is not a new idea. I reason if one could exist it would be a conlang. The word cheeseburger may occur in a 3S language with the sounds ch, ee, z, b, r, and g being present and meaningful and these individual senses will combine when they associate closely. In my 3S language cheezbrgr means something like 'a symphony is within you'. Well, imagine a cafe menu illustrating a ground beef sandwich with the caption- Eat a Symphony.

Only the reader's mind has gone off-topic.
"A symphony is within you" -- now that's about as good a definition of cheeseburger as you'll ever get!
tikoo
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by tikoo »

Cool.
kQl

k=respectable
Q= oo = mind
L= positive

translation: I appreciate a positive mind.
Torco
sinic
sinic

Post by Torco »

tikoo wrote: 07 Oct 2021 20:39 With simpl cahnsistent fo'netik repre'senta'shun.
well, one would come to that conclusion thinking things from first principles, but it seems to be the case that the most universal languages in our own planet at this age have the funkiest of orthographies. english and mandarin, that is, and that doesn't seem to have hampered their universalization.
then there's hindi, which i dunno how funky it is, then spanish, which is of relatively low funk, then bengali, then arabic -which foregoes writing vowels most of the time... like, and maybe being that funky is a benefit! you can't do in spanish that which you can in mandarin, i mean, different dialect of spanish exist and sound distinct but not as distinct, i think, as canto, mando and yue, and they're all written with the same drawings. same with, I don't know, northern scottish v. indian english.

oh, it seemed to have been an joke
tikoo
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by tikoo »

We have the story of The Tower of Babel ... before many languages there was one. It's indeed a joke.