(C&C) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Re: (C&C) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Ahzoh »

And I got another question, regarding two questions:
Do people think the present better or worse than the past?
Do people believe the future will be better or worse than the present or past?
It seems past societies viewed society as getting worse while modern societies view society as getting better?
I dunno how I will answer these questions.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

Ahzoh wrote:And I got another question, regarding two questions:
It seems past societies viewed society as getting worse while modern societies view society as getting better?
Oh, depends on the person. Look at all the conservatives grumbling about the "good old days"!
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

List of conlangs with links!
Refer to me with any sex-neutral (or feminine) 3s pronoun, either from English (no singular they please, zie etc are okay) or from one of your conlangs!
CWS
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

druneragarsh wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:And I got another question, regarding two questions:
Oh, depends on the person. Look at all the conservatives grumbling about the "good old days"!
This makes me laugh, they're the Bourbon dems of the 1920s! Do none remember? (Yes, everyone from then dedded)
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Odkidstr
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Odkidstr »

So possibly stupid questions. I don't do a lot of conworlding.

First, how would one go about creating their own calendar? And what I mean is an entire calendar system, such as the solar vs lunar calendars we have. I can't find much info on it, except for some random formula for calculating how many times the Earth orbits the Sun. Can you point me to any resources on it?

Secondly, I've been looking for detailed info on 19th century America. Note I'm not looking for info on the Civil War, I'm just looking for something that can describe types of clothing, culture, foods they ate, etc. If you know of any good resources for that specific time period, please let me know.
HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

Odkidstr wrote:So possibly stupid questions. I don't do a lot of conworlding.

First, how would one go about creating their own calendar? And what I mean is an entire calendar system, such as the solar vs lunar calendars we have. I can't find much info on it, except for some random formula for calculating how many times the Earth orbits the Sun. Can you point me to any resources on it?

Secondly, I've been looking for detailed info on 19th century America. Note I'm not looking for info on the Civil War, I'm just looking for something that can describe types of clothing, culture, foods they ate, etc. If you know of any good resources for that specific time period, please let me know.
Oh, I would like something on calendars too. I've been wanting to make a lunisolar calendar with 3 10-day weeks or something like that (definitely lunisolar though).
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

HoskhMatriarch wrote:

Oh, I would like something on calendars too. I've been wanting to make a lunisolar calendar with 3 10-day weeks or something like that (definitely lunisolar though).
I guess it relies on the somewhat harder science sections of conworlding, like knowing what kind of star it is, orbit time, how many moons, etc.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

Odkidstr wrote:So possibly stupid questions.
I see no stupid question.
take the length of time it takes your planet to orbit its sun, and experiment with dividing up the year...("hm, tried cutting it in ten parts, now maybe five?") You'll start with equal amounts as your answer, but that's just somewhere to start from.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

loglorn wrote:
HoskhMatriarch wrote:

I guess it relies on the somewhat harder science sections of conworlding, like knowing what kind of star it is, orbit time, how many moons, etc.
I was just going to make it the same as Earth. There are normal humans with normal vocal tracts who have spontaneously arisen in my conworld, as well as all sorts of fantastical creatures and magic, so it doesn't have to be particularly scientifically probable. I just want to give my different conpeoples calendars since they're tied in with religions and national holidays and various cultural things.

Speaking of hard science or what have you, is making fantasy conworlds shunned compared to sci-if or something?
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain »

HoskhMatriarch wrote:Speaking of hard science or what have you, is making fantasy conworlds shunned compared to sci-if or something?
Not at all, though some people definitely prefer one thing over the other. In general, I think it's just important that a world is internally consistent, but that can mean many things, and "adheres to our understanding of how the universe works" is only one of many ways it can be done.
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

HoskhMatriarch wrote:
loglorn wrote:
HoskhMatriarch wrote:

I was just going to make it the same as Earth. There are normal humans with normal vocal tracts who have spontaneously arisen in my conworld, as well as all sorts of fantastical creatures and magic, so it doesn't have to be particularly scientifically probable. I just want to give my different conpeoples calendars since they're tied in with religions and national holidays and various cultural things.
Well, if that's the case, you have the freedom to do whatever you feel like. You can have your year be the length you want, and divide it in whatever (but it might still bear relation to, say, the moon, even if the moon is a thing hanging from the ceiling and physics is nowhere to be found).
HoskhMatriarch wrote:Speaking of hard science or what have you, is making fantasy conworlds shunned compared to sci-if or something?
I don't think so. It's just that i like harder (well, up the limit i get too lazy to do the math) sciences and i go for verisimilitude 99% of the time. And it seems i default to assuming other people do too.

There are lots of fantasy conworlds hanging around in the Forum, the first that come to ind are Micamo's and Chagen's.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Speaking of such things, is there an official definition anywhere of what separates the genres of fantasy and sci-fi from one another?
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

The most basic definitions I have are that fantasy posits the existence of magic or other supernatural concepts, while sci-fi posits advanced technology or some scientific phenomenon. That's a little skin-deep, though. Works like Star Wars blur the lines a bit because even though they give a very science fiction-y vibe, many of the concepts presented as scientific have little basis in actual science. So you might call it "soft" science fiction, or if your definition of sci-fi is very strict, fantasy. ("Hard" science fiction emphasizes scientific accuracy.) There are also things like the Marvel Universe with about equal parts pseudo-science and magic, so those kinds of works make the boundary even squishier.

That's my understanding anyway. No doubt someone has a different take.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Sorry, managed to erase the original post...
Last edited by elemtilas on 16 Nov 2015 20:57, edited 2 times in total.
Odkidstr
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Odkidstr »

Wow, thanks for all those resources elemtilas! That should help me out a lot.
shimobaatar wrote:Speaking of such things, is there an official definition anywhere of what separates the genres of fantasy and sci-fi from one another?
Well, I've heard different definitions of sci-fi. I can't say that I have any official idea though. But I've heard that sci-fi can be philosophical, more a practice in imagining what the future will be like, or envisioning many alternatives (such as an alternate timeline). With this definition, it doesn't necessarily preclude things to do only with technology.

Personally, I see merit in the definition above. Sci-fi tech would thus be a byproduct caused by the imagining of the future or some alternative (Steampunk anyone?). Sci-fi, at it's core, would largely be a philosophical idea made into a story.

To me, Fantasy is anything outside what is possible, at least to the knowledge of current humans. Sci-Fi and Fantasy are often one in the same to me, with the exception that Sci-Fi should have some resemblance to possibly being real and based in some sort of natural system with scientific rules. Fantasy doesn't have such specifications. Because of popular media, I think Fantasy is always seen as Elves (Lord of the Rings) and Sci-Fi as future tech (I, Robot).
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

shimobaatar wrote:Speaking of such things, is there an official definition anywhere of what separates the genres of fantasy and sci-fi from one another?
The one I've heard is that sci-fi is a literature of hope (for a better future etc) while fantasy is a literature of wistfulness (for how things were/could have been). Another division is future-looking vs past-looking. Like all genre divisions, there will be stuff that resists easy categorization.
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

List of conlangs with links!
Refer to me with any sex-neutral (or feminine) 3s pronoun, either from English (no singular they please, zie etc are okay) or from one of your conlangs!
CWS
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Well, my stories are set in a post-apocalyptic future, with some heavy Classical-Punk/Medieval-Punk (?) elements, where technology is essentially regarded as magic.

There are elements of hope in a better future (despite humanity having trashed its own immediate one) but also a sort of wistfulness as well.

SyFynt, anyone?

[:S]
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Odkidstr wrote:Wow, thanks for all those resources elemtilas! That should help me out a lot.
You're very welcome!

A number of these you might be able to find via Project Gutenberg. I'd steer away from el cheapo ebook versions, though. They are error ridden and often times are simply 'plain text' renderings. No images, no formatting. Amazon I think will be your best friend here -- there's just no substitute for thumbing through an actual book. Especially when it's to be used as source material. Ereaders just aren't designed for easy browsing.

One other resource to look into: if you have a good used book shop near you, be sure to stop by and ask for the "collecting" or "antiques" section. You will find all sorts of collectors catalogues that document old things like tools, furniture, clothing, everyday articles.
Odkidstr wrote:
Well, I've heard different definitions of sci-fi. I can't say that I have any official idea though. But I've heard that sci-fi can be philosophical, more a practice in imagining what the future will be like, or envisioning many alternatives (such as an alternate timeline). With this definition, it doesn't necessarily preclude things to do only with technology.
What is interesting about SF is that it is not only an exercise in imagining what the future could hold, but also an exercise in imagineering what the future will hold. Take a look into how, really profoundly, Star Trek has actively shaped our present (the original writers' future). Cell phones? ST communicator. Tablet computers? ST PADD. Patient Vigilance System? ST sick bay beds that monitor HR and vitals. The medical tricorder is on the way (Qualcomm Tricorder Xprize). Even transdermal medication delivery systems mimic the hypodermic-free infuser used by Dr. McCoy. The modern US Navy's laser weapons systems? The USS Enterprise's phaser banks! Even ThyssenKrupp's "revolutionary" multi-directional elevator concept is nothing new -- the Enterprise had them in the 1960s! (If only in conceptual mock-up!)

Fantasy doesn't really allow this -- sure there are some neat things about Middle Earth or Discworld (or even any of our own otherworlds!) that would be neat if they really existed, but those things are just not possible *here* in the primary world. [:'(]

I don't really see them as two distinct entities with nothing in common so much as two loci within a polydimensional space called the Land of Story. In other words, at their hearts, both SF and F are about stories. They may make use of different modalities and they may pull at different strings in our minds & imaginations, but in the end it's the narrativity that counts. Even historical romance, non-fiction narrative, alt-history and romance [O.O] are but other places in that happy Land.

I've heard most frequently that F offers escapism into a golden past of sword-n-sorcery while SF offers a glimpse into a plausible, technological future. Either way, it's a fantastical escape -- whether that escape is into The World (I think arguably something of a golden age, dwimpunk, fantasy escape) or the Eldraeverse (transtechnological, integrationist SF escape). Or Middle Earth or the Federation or any other similar place you'd care to go in your imagination!
Personally, I see merit in the definition above. Sci-fi tech would thus be a byproduct caused by the imagining of the future or some alternative (Steampunk anyone?). Sci-fi, at it's core, would largely be a philosophical idea made into a story.

To me, Fantasy is anything outside what is possible, at least to the knowledge of current humans. Sci-Fi and Fantasy are often one in the same to me, with the exception that Sci-Fi should have some resemblance to possibly being real and based in some sort of natural system with scientific rules. Fantasy doesn't have such specifications. Because of popular media, I think Fantasy is always seen as Elves (Lord of the Rings) and Sci-Fi as future tech (I, Robot).
Yep. Fantasy has other specifications. But even most SF does as well. "Warp drive" is nothing but a wand-waving way of getting people to far distant places they will probably never get to given the limited understanding and application of physics at present.

Ah, yes. Elves. Funny thing about most F and Elves is that not a single one of them really gets what it is to be Elf. It's all cute, somewhat goth, warriors or mages. None of those authors that borrowed Tolkien's Elves ever bothers to read the users manual!
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I think the difference between Science Fiction and Fantasy is that the former uses technology to do the magic, while the latter uses more traditional ways. You can surely see this in such blends as "Magitech".

Could a culture with a technology level of 400AD could possibly develop pencils made of "graphite with a clay binding" and it wouldn't seem anachronistic? I dunno where they might get graphite from though.
And maybe they also invented what are essentially crayons?

Also also, could a single dynasty possibly last 500-600 years?
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Yes, actually, the UN got all the countries of the world together and they passed a binding global law to define officially what separates the genres of fantasy and sci-fi from one another. Authors or publishers who mislabel their books are now thrown into tiger pens.

Wait, no, that didn't happen.

Which institution are you expecting might have "officially" defined genres?
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Ahzoh wrote:
Could a culture with a technology level of 400AD could possibly develop pencils made of "graphite with a clay binding" and it wouldn't seem anachronistic? I dunno where they might get graphite from though.
And maybe they also invented what are essentially crayons?
Graphite doesn't seem too unbelievable. Just say "oh, they were mining for xyz, and they found graphite, and found that they could write with it". Honestly, I'm surprised that pencils are that new of an invention.They were invented in the 1500s on Earth, surprisingly late.

Crayons need artificial coloring, but as soon as they can make wax, crayons could exist. Surprisingly, the idea behind crayons is older than that of pencils. The idea of using pigments and wax to color stones was Egyptian in origin. Pastels, which had a cylinder shaped piece of pigment date from around the 1400s. Crayons themselves come however from the 1800s, much later than pencils.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad