Language Learners

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Language Learners

Post by Ossicone »

How do your conpeople feel about non-natives learning their language? Why would they be learning a second language in the first place?
I know in the real world some people are very appreciative of learners and others do not want non-natives ruining their language.

Inyauk: Actually the Inyauk find it endearing for a foreigner to try and learn Inyauk. The rare few who do manage to do so generally know enough about Inyauk culture to avoid offending them. Mostly likely someone who learns Inyauk is a merchant, looking to trade or gain passage, or a foreigner, who married an Inyauk.

Amjati: On the other hand, the Amjati hate when the Inyauk try and speak Amjati. Mostly because they are so shit at it. Inyauk can't anything right - the tenses, the person, the formality, the cases, nothing at all. This only builds on the impression that they are simple barbarians. An Inyak can end up in Amjati society for a couple of reasons. Firstly, they can be taken as a slave (but most will kill themselves). Or secondly and more likely, they can be a merchant trader.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Re: Language Learners

Post by Micamo »

This feels very similar to a topic I started a while ago. Ah well...

Midha will learn the languages of other peoples when inter-community communication is necessary, rather than expect the other party to learn theirs. However, this is not because they are worried the foreigners will "ruin" the language, but because Midha love learning new things and see using the other's language as a privilege. Speaking to someone new in your language rather than theirs... that's just boring.

Acoi do not have an opinion on this subject, cause they think they're the only language users that exist.

Blith, in contrast to Midha, are incredibly stubborn and refuse to learn anything new. Not only do they expect others to use the Blithul language, but interpret the refusal to use Blithul as a sign of contempt. Compare to the stereotypical american redneck who suspects every mexican immigrant as being a terrorist sleeper agent.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Adpihi are flattered by others learning their language and are eager to learn the other Adpihi languages spoken on their planet.

Diplomats and merchants and scholars and so on are eager to learn off-planet languages as well.

The average Adpihi is rather lukewarm to the notion of learning an off-planet language, though.
Yačay256
greek
greek

Post by Yačay256 »

The Mbäta/Mbaxtinhgiots are mandate the study, instruction and use of Classic Pingÿgo in Tåqjana (compulsory school) instead of the vernacular language. With that in mind, the Mbäta welcome the study of Classic Pingÿgo, while they often discourage or are confused by one's desire to study a colloquial Pingÿgo language; why would a foreigner wish to learn the essentially unwritten and coarse of mundane tasks when they could read, write and study the high and refined bounties of Mbäta Civilization, they would say?
¡Mñíĝínxàʋày!
¡[ˈmí.ɲ̟ōj.ˌɣín.ʃà.βä́j]!
2-POSS.EXCL.ALIEN-COMP-friend.comrade
Hello, colleagues!
conlangconstructor
sinic
sinic

Post by conlangconstructor »

In Paga, all you have to do is pay for a surgery to implant the language of your choice into your brain. It's quite risky though, some people come out of surgery speaking their target language fluently - while others are brain dead for the rest of their lives.
Ashroot
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Ashroot »

conlangconstructor wrote:In Paga, all you have to do is pay for a surgery to implant the language of your choice into your brain. It's quite risky though, some people come out of surgery speaking their target language fluently - while others are brain dead for the rest of their lives.
Well...
uhm not much to say about that other than ...
I got nothing.

Well theoretically how many languages can you have implanted?
Got tired of my old one.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

conlangconstructor wrote:In Paga, all you have to do is pay for a surgery to implant the language of your choice into your brain. It's quite risky though, some people come out of surgery speaking their target language fluently - while others are brain dead for the rest of their lives.
Hmm... pick up a book or risk brain death....
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:Hmm... pick up a book or risk brain death....
So no different form our world then.

My shitty twitter
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

I'd prefer the book; I appreciate the challenge.
conlangconstructor
sinic
sinic

Ashroot wrote:
Well...
uhm not much to say about that other than ...
I got nothing.

Well theoretically how many languages can you have implanted?
No one knows. You see, after a patient gets the implant and it's successful, the patient will experience horrible headaches, depression, anxiety, near-constant diarrhea and vomiting for the rest of their miserable lives. So most are too sick, too depressed, or too scared to have the operation again.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

So then those operations went out of business...
conlangconstructor
sinic
sinic

Lol, yeah I guess you could say they probably would after a few operations.

To tell the truth, I was just bullshitting about all of that.
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

Moar testing required! Round up the orphans! >:D
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Such a thing would be perfect for a sci-fi conculture: Modularize the brain architecture to make knowledge addition easy. You can learn to speak a thousand languages in a few seconds with a single download.

My shitty twitter
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Hopefully they aren't all Google Translate...
hadad
sinic
sinic

Post by hadad »

As the Gallekhi say, "se tupshar vedankaense Galleme?"
Spoiler:
What scribe doesn't know Galleme?
According to them, everyone who writes should know it.
Know phrases in more languages than can fit in this signature.
Speaks English and Spanish.
Reads Sumerian.
There is more.
Mind
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Mind »

Let's put it this way... the Ijika only like it when you speak words they can understand. So they love it. But if not, they get a little antsy!
Welcome Back.