Lesson/Guide Requests

A forum for guides, lessons and sharing of useful information.
cybrxkhan
roman
roman

Re: Lesson/Guide Requests

Post by cybrxkhan »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:
cybrxkhan wrote:
Visinoid wrote:
Pirka wrote:I would be interested in a bit of Vietnamese as well.
The writing system is a real mess, though. XD

I have to agree on that. It's a horrendous orthography, in my opinion.

Anyhow, I suppose I can teach some of the real basics of the language in some posts soon. I doubt I'll be able to effectively teach some of the slightly more advanced stuff, since a lot of my Vietnamese has been partially bastardized by my English, so it's still hard to distinguish when I'm unconsciously throwing in English grammar structures or not (not to mention that both are relatively isolating languages anyways), but I'll try my best.
Sweet. Look forward to it

Sorry it's been taking a while. After exams next week I'll have winter break so hopefully I'll have time to figure out how to format this. Actually I might even start during exam week if my schedule works good for me.
I now have a blog. Witness the horror.

I think I think, therefore I think I am.
- Ambrose Bierce
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

It's cool. I am all study study study right now too.
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

I could help with it since I've been studying the language for several months, so I'm quite familiar with it [:)]
cybrxkhan
roman
roman

Post by cybrxkhan »

Theta wrote:I could help with it since I've been studying the language for several months, so I'm quite familiar with it [:)]
Oh yes, splendid, person-also-on-ZBB! :) I think having the perspectives of both a native speaker (I count as one... barely) and a non-native speaker would help.

By the way, what dialect have you been mainly focusing on (if that's the case)? Also, do you think you're good enough that we can try chatting on the other languages section?

- Ambrose Bierce
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

Exclusively the Northern dialect, although the online dictionary I use supplies the different word forms for both the Northern and Southern dialect, so I might occasionally use a phrase or word of the Southern dialect.
As for your second question, certainly! (: It would be great practice as well.
cybrxkhan
roman
roman

Post by cybrxkhan »

Theta wrote:Exclusively the Northern dialect, although the online dictionary I use supplies the different word forms for both the Northern and Southern dialect, so I might occasionally use a phrase or word of the Southern dialect.

Hmm. That's fine. I probably won't know the word anyways given how my vocabulary isn't as extensive as I'd like it to be. :P

Anyhow, I've set up the threat. Hopefully Thakowsaizmu can join us once some lessons or two are posted!

- Ambrose Bierce
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

cybrxkhan wrote:
Theta wrote:Exclusively the Northern dialect, although the online dictionary I use supplies the different word forms for both the Northern and Southern dialect, so I might occasionally use a phrase or word of the Southern dialect.

Hmm. That's fine. I probably won't know the word anyways given how my vocabulary isn't as extensive as I'd like it to be. :P

Anyhow, I've set up the threat. Hopefully Thakowsaizmu can join us once some lessons or two are posted!
Hopefully, hehe
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

Sounds like a ton of fun! [:D]
SomeoneSomewhere
sinic
sinic

Post by SomeoneSomewhere »

Since the last person hasn't showed any indication about helping me with my French, could someone else help me? Maybe make a French Q&A thread where people can ask questions, e.g. "What's the use of "y" in French and when and why should I use it?"!
:eng: Native speaker! | :fra: Learning, slowly but surely! | :cym: Dabbling in!
Hakaku
MVP
MVP

Post by Hakaku »

Feel free to create a thread in the Linguistics forum if you have specific questions about the language, since there are quite a few French speakers around who could provide insight, but don't necessarily have the time to dedicate to teaching the language from scratch.
wakeagainstthefall
sinic
sinic

Post by wakeagainstthefall »

I doth hath several requests, but I will choose only 2. I would like to learn modern demotic Greek and Hebrew (modern or Biblical) if at all possible.
Magnae clunes mihi placent, nec possum de hac re mentiri. -Multomixtor

:usa: :esp: :zho: :lat:
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

cybrxkhan wrote:Anyhow, I've set up the threat.
Threat? [:S] [:(] :wat: [O.O] [:x] :!: :?:
Avo
greek
greek

Post by Avo »

I just rediscovered some posts on basic Italian I made for another forum few years ago, about articles and verb conjugation in the present and stuff. Would anyone be interested?
Maximillian
greek
greek

Post by Maximillian »

Avo wrote:I just rediscovered some posts on basic Italian I made for another forum few years ago, about articles and verb conjugation in the present and stuff. Would anyone be interested?
Yup [:)]
UNUS•ET•UNICUS
wakeagainstthefall
sinic
sinic

Post by wakeagainstthefall »

Maximillian wrote:
Avo wrote:I just rediscovered some posts on basic Italian I made for another forum few years ago, about articles and verb conjugation in the present and stuff. Would anyone be interested?
Yup [:)]
I second that.
Magnae clunes mihi placent, nec possum de hac re mentiri. -Multomixtor

:usa: :esp: :zho: :lat:
M. Park
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by M. Park »

I was wondering if there are any “Hand-held Conlanging Guides” out there.

Allow me to explain what I want if you can’t infer from the name. When I started I was 110% new to linguistics and Conlanging. (and percentages apparently) Much like the art student who is given a blank sheet of paper and told “Fill it with your dreams!” it can be very overwhelming where to start, what to do and how to know when you’re done*.

I think it would be nice if there was something with steps, so that if you followed the tutorial 1 step 1 to step 50 you would end up with a fully-functional, coherent conlang. It might not be particularly interesting, but it would provide complete beginners like me learning the ropes.

Some example steps might be “Pick at least 1 from each of the following vowel categories: (/ y i u/ ) (/e ə ɛ/) (/a æ ɶ/)
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

M. Park wrote:I think it would be nice if there was something with steps, so that if you followed the tutorial 1 step 1 to step 50 you would end up with a fully-functional, coherent conlang. It might not be particularly interesting, but it would provide complete beginners like me learning the ropes.

Some example steps might be “Pick at least 1 from each of the following vowel categories: (/ y i u/ ) (/e ə ɛ/) (/a æ ɶ/)
I think the closest would be the Language Construction Kit itself....or this Workshop's packets: http://podcast.conlang.org/2011/08/reno ... materials/
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
mich2000
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by mich2000 »

It would be awesome if someone made lessons for:
  • Mandarin
    Japanese
    Navajo
    Basque
Colourless green ideas sleep furiously