Lesson/Guide Requests

A forum for guides, lessons and sharing of useful information.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Re: Lesson/Guide Requests

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

After this semester is over for me (and I get back reliable internet) I plan on adding a Swahili lesson if there is interest. And finishing the Klingon one. So look forward to that :mrgreen:, or don't :mrred:
Ceresz
mayan
mayan

Post by Ceresz »

I can't guarantee I'll commit to your lessons or the language, but I'll definitely give it a shot [:)].
Ghoster
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Ghoster »

Does anyone speak Spanish here? It would be great to participate in some lessons, since it's probably much more profitable to learn a language somehow interactively. And I'm probably not the only one; so, would anyone make this kind of lessons?
Native: :pol:; Advanced: :usa: :chn: :nld:; Intermediate: :esp:; Lower intermediate: :deu: :rus: :fra: :nor:; Beginner: :jpn: :kor: :hkg:
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:After this semester is over for me (and I get back reliable internet) I plan on adding a Swahili lesson if there is interest. And finishing the Klingon one. So look forward to that :mrgreen:, or don't :mrred:
Yay Swahili! I think a few people were after Swahili lessons so this gon be good!
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:After this semester is over for me (and I get back reliable internet) I plan on adding a Swahili lesson if there is interest. And finishing the Klingon one. So look forward to that :mrgreen:, or don't :mrred:
A chance to learn *two* African languages? Count me in! ^-^
threecat
sinic
sinic

Post by threecat »

Ithkuil vocabulary, please?
Znex
roman
roman

Post by Znex »

threecat wrote:Ithkuil vocabulary, please?
The official site has a huge number of roots you can manipulate. Learning individual words is probably counter-productive to learning Ithkuil properly.
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: :wls: : [:S] | :deu: :ell: :rus: : [:x]
Conlangs: Hawntow, Yorkish, misc.
she/her
threecat
sinic
sinic

Post by threecat »

The question is "Can Ithkuil be learnt at all?"
Clio
sinic
sinic

Post by Clio »

Ghoster wrote:Does anyone speak Spanish here? It would be great to participate in some lessons, since it's probably much more profitable to learn a language somehow interactively. And I'm probably not the only one; so, would anyone make this kind of lessons?
I read and write Spanish very well (and I speak it decently), so I'd be willing to do this. I also have a few old Spanish exercise and vocabulary books, so that could be useful.
Besides, I've been lurking here for way too long; it's about time I actually do something!

I would like to know a bit more about what exactly you'd like to learn before I start anything, though. Why do you want to learn Spanish?
Niûro nCora
Getic: longum Getico murmur in ore fuit
scratchpad
Ghoster
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Ghoster »

Clio wrote:
Ghoster wrote:Does anyone speak Spanish here? It would be great to participate in some lessons, since it's probably much more profitable to learn a language somehow interactively. And I'm probably not the only one; so, would anyone make this kind of lessons?
I read and write Spanish very well (and I speak it decently), so I'd be willing to do this. I also have a few old Spanish exercise and vocabulary books, so that could be useful.
Besides, I've been lurking here for way too long; it's about time I actually do something!

I would like to know a bit more about what exactly you'd like to learn before I start anything, though. Why do you want to learn Spanish?
Well, basically I will have a great opportunity to learn Spanish on the next summer-vacation by spending lots of time with a Spanish-speaking person, but it would be much better if I'd be prepared for it somehow already (the only thing I know at this very moment is the three conjugation patterns in present tense and some really basic words, so I'm pretty much new into this language), so I'd be very glad if you could just make your way through all the basics of the language (some things are still not really clear to me, for example the pronunciation of "v" - I am probably interested in Castilian Spanish, but any other dialect would be pretty helpful either way). Actually, there's no particular reason for me to learn Spanish, I'm just trying to get "practical" with my linguistic knowledge by learning everything I can (I can pretty much keep a conversation going in five different languages, so let's say it is quite successful until now) and Spanish seems to be very easy language when compared with, let's say, Russian or Arabic. Anyways, if you'll make these lessons, you can count on a very active learner.
Native: :pol:; Advanced: :usa: :chn: :nld:; Intermediate: :esp:; Lower intermediate: :deu: :rus: :fra: :nor:; Beginner: :jpn: :kor: :hkg:
Clio
sinic
sinic

Post by Clio »

Ghoster wrote:Well, basically I will have a great opportunity to learn Spanish on the next summer-vacation by spending lots of time with a Spanish-speaking person, but it would be much better if I'd be prepared for it somehow already (the only thing I know at this very moment is the three conjugation patterns in present tense and some really basic words, so I'm pretty much new into this language), so I'd be very glad if you could just make your way through all the basics of the language (some things are still not really clear to me, for example the pronunciation of "v" - I am probably interested in Castilian Spanish, but any other dialect would be pretty helpful either way). Actually, there's no particular reason for me to learn Spanish, I'm just trying to get "practical" with my linguistic knowledge by learning everything I can (I can pretty much keep a conversation going in five different languages, so let's say it is quite successful until now) and Spanish seems to be very easy language when compared with, let's say, Russian or Arabic. Anyways, if you'll make these lessons, you can count on a very active learner.
Thanks for the clarification. I'm not as familiar with the Castilian dialect as I am with, say, Puerto Rican Spanish, but I will do my best to specify the differences where possible. I'll try to affect as "neutral" an accent as possible in any recordings, etc so I don't screw up Castilian pronunciation.

The first lesson is almost done except for a few recordings, so that will be up today or tomorrow.
Niûro nCora
Getic: longum Getico murmur in ore fuit
scratchpad
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

I'm thinking of improving upon the existing Unilang lessons (fixing mistakes, going into more linguistic detail) for Ainu as well as gearing it up for a more linguistics-oriented audience. Any takers?
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

I mentioned this on the L&N questions thread but just to be professional and organized--if there's any desire for Quechua lessons I can do some. NB: I won't teach any dialect except standard Cuzco.
Tlequiyahuitl
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Tlequiyahuitl »

Teddy wrote:I mentioned this on the L&N questions thread but just to be professional and organized--if there's any desire for Quechua lessons I can do some. NB: I won't teach any dialect except standard Cuzco.
That'd be awesome! I've been wanting to learn Quechua for some time, let me know if you end up doing this
Quin onihuallah. ZBB: LeCiagoPanda
Native: :eng: Intermediate: :fra:
Learning: :mex: (Classical Nahuatl) :ita: :gle:
Of interest: :iku: :can: (Plains Cree) :jpn: :heb: Sanskrit
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

Great! I do like to have requests from at least two people before I write anything, so if anyone else wants to learn some Quechua, I'll start something in the next couple weeks. [:)]
roninbodhisattva
MVP
MVP

Post by roninbodhisattva »

I'd rather get a linguistic introduction (see the Caddo thread) rather than a set of lessons.
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

Either one is fine with me. I'd actually be more comfortable with a more technical description of the language as I think you are asking for, Ronin. When I was in the Quechua classes, that was what I got out of it the most anyway.
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

roninbodhisattva wrote:I'd rather get a linguistic introduction (see the Caddo thread) rather than a set of lessons.
[+1]
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Teddy wrote:Great! I do like to have requests from at least two people before I write anything, so if anyone else wants to learn some Quechua, I'll start something in the next couple weeks. [:)]
I've never looked at Quechua properly, and this would be a great opportunity to do so, so I will follow if you start a thread. :)
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

Can anyone justify the incorporation of nouns in a language that has allows for both the incorporation of nouns and for nouns to appear on their own? The site that brought up this question to me is here.

I just want to know how one can justify incorporating a noun that could appear separate from the verb.

Thanks in advance!

PS: this will help me in the construction of my currently unnamed conlang! :mrgreen:

EDIT:: I read the rest of the article; amazing what that can do. [xD] anyways, I don't guess we need a topic for this anymore. Just disregard the above stuff. Thanks!

But also, it would be nice to know if it is simply arbitrary whether or not a noun can be incorporated or not. :)
:con: Nillahimma
:con: Øð!
:con: Coneylang

I am the Great Rabbit. Fear me, O Crabs!
Spoiler:
ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ