Diné bizaad bíhwiidííł’ááł!

A forum for guides, lessons and sharing of useful information.
ZedSed
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Diné bizaad bíhwiidííł’ááł!

Post by ZedSed »

eldin raigmore wrote:
ZedSed wrote:If anyone is interested, I made a short pdf with the full list of Navajo verbal roots (about 560 roots altogether), each with a short gloss. I copied it from the appendix in "The Navajo Language: A Grammar and Colloquial Dictionary". I doubt you could use it to really learn Navajo, but it might be useful for anyone who is working with verb roots in their conlang as a source for ideas. But I don't know how to put it up on the net. Googledocs doesn't work here in China.
(1) Please do! (Once you figure out how you can.)
(2) Only 560 verbroots? It's a living language -- aren't there any neologisms?
(3) Maybe you could put the pdf on Box in a shared folder?
Yes it has just ≈ 550 verbal roots, but some of them are extremely abstract, and can be used to produce a lot of themes. I think I might produce another pdf soon with a list of the adverbial/thematic morphemes next. It might be useful for seeing how the themes are derived. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have it ready for you guys
bp dt ʣʦ ʤʧ ɖʈ ʥʨ ɟc gk ɢq ʡ ʔ
m ɱ n ɳ ɲ ŋ ɴ
βɸ vf ðθ zs ʒʃ ʐʂ ʑɕ ʝç ɣx ʁχ ʕħ ʢʜ ɦh
ʋ ɹ ɻ j ɰ ʙ r ʀ ѵ ɾ ɽ ɮɬ l ɭ ʎ ʟ ɺ
ʘ ǀ ǃ ǂ ǁ ɓ ɗ ʄ ɠ ʛ ʍ ɥ ɧ
i y ɨ ʉ ɯ u ɪ ʏ ʊ e ø ɘ ɵ ɤ o ə ɛ œ ɜ ɞ ʌ ɔ æ ɐ a ɶ ɑ ɒ

How do you transcribe a big wet smoochy-woochy?
ZedSed
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Diné bizaad bíhwiidííł’ááł!

Post by ZedSed »

Teddy wrote:This is the overall tendency, but there have been instances where speakers utter things like nácruise ATEL-'cruise' for "s/he cruises around".
Wow, I never knew that. I guess it's to be expected though. It would be difficult, if not damn near impossible for Navajo to be kept "pure" like they do in Iceland, when they are struggling just to keep the language alive for the future.
Teddy wrote: ...I have a link to an online lexicon of Navajo... 
I would really like to see that if it's ok? "The Navajo Language" is extremely comprehensive to the point of being ridiculous, but it's not terribly user-friendly.
bp dt ʣʦ ʤʧ ɖʈ ʥʨ ɟc gk ɢq ʡ ʔ
m ɱ n ɳ ɲ ŋ ɴ
βɸ vf ðθ zs ʒʃ ʐʂ ʑɕ ʝç ɣx ʁχ ʕħ ʢʜ ɦh
ʋ ɹ ɻ j ɰ ʙ r ʀ ѵ ɾ ɽ ɮɬ l ɭ ʎ ʟ ɺ
ʘ ǀ ǃ ǂ ǁ ɓ ɗ ʄ ɠ ʛ ʍ ɥ ɧ
i y ɨ ʉ ɯ u ɪ ʏ ʊ e ø ɘ ɵ ɤ o ə ɛ œ ɜ ɞ ʌ ɔ æ ɐ a ɶ ɑ ɒ

How do you transcribe a big wet smoochy-woochy?