Simplistic Map Tutorial

A forum for guides, lessons and sharing of useful information.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Simplistic Map Tutorial

Post by Ahzoh »

This largest nation (looks axe-shaped) is considered where the nations equitor is, so up north more is more arid cimate, whereas going south is more tropical with rainforests... with that said:
where do you think I should put mountains and higher land?
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
zee
greek
greek

Post by zee »

Chagen wrote:That fractalize function seems surprisingly useful. Are the coasts it generates particulary realistic or is that mostly irrelevant?

I feel like I should FINALLY start drawing out Azehar. I'm gonna use this tutorial~
I guess it tends to look realistic. It depends exactly how realistic you're going for but mainly I'd recommend it.

And thanks for using this tutorial. I bet your Azehar map will look spiffing.
<3
Ahzoh wrote:http://s9.postimg.org/z8bu6x67j/newmapoder.png
This largest nation (looks axe-shaped) is considered where the nations equitor is, so up north more is more arid cimate, whereas going south is more tropical with rainforests... with that said:
where do you think I should put mountains and higher land?
I'm not too sure as I don't know loads about (con)geography and predicting stuff like that but I'm sure someone should know.
If you don't get an answer soon on this thread then see if your question would be relevant in any other threads.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful in answering your question.
reírítí lixa kisti o lixati reí kisti · the river god controls the fish and the fish control the river – otísil (pdf)
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

I have a question of river placement. Namely, how is there placement determined? The examples you provide seem to run into the mountains? But, see I don't kow because i thought rivers flowed down? Unless the rivers originate from the mountains? :?: :?: :?:
Aszev wrote:A good conlang doesn't come from pursuing uniqueness. Uniqueness is usually an effect from creating a good conlang.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
zee
greek
greek

Post by zee »

Corphishy wrote:I have a question of river placement. Namely, how is there placement determined? The examples you provide seem to run into the mountains? But, see I don't kow because i thought rivers flowed down? Unless the rivers originate from the mountains? :?: :?: :?:
In general:
Rivers start at mountains or high land and they flow downhill until they reach a large body of water, usually a sea or ocean.

This image shows this quite well:
The rivers start at the higher land and flow down into the sea. As they get closer to the end of the river (the mouth, where it meets the sea/ocean) the river tends to gets wider (Though the river widening does not usually get shown on a map).
reírítí lixa kisti o lixati reí kisti · the river god controls the fish and the fish control the river – otísil (pdf)
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

Fleur wrote: In general:
Rivers start at mountains or high land and they flow downhill until they reach a large body of water, usually a sea or ocean.

This image shows this quite well:
The rivers start at the higher land and flow down into the sea. As they get closer to the end of the river (the mouth, where it meets the sea/ocean) the river tends to gets wider (Though the river widening does not usually get shown on a map).
Thanks.
Aszev wrote:A good conlang doesn't come from pursuing uniqueness. Uniqueness is usually an effect from creating a good conlang.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

I don't know hat to do...
I want to make a map of a portion of another map that is enlarged, but if I just increase the size, the lines stroke lines will also get bigger... and I don't trust that I can accurately draw same landmass again.
zee
greek
greek

Post by zee »

Ahzoh wrote:I don't know hat to do...
I want to make a map of a portion of another map that is enlarged, but if I just increase the size, the lines stroke lines will also get bigger... and I don't trust that I can accurately draw same landmass again.
What program are you using?
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Fleur wrote:
You are back! Also, I use Inkscape.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll finally get Aiga on digital
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
zee
greek
greek

Post by zee »

Ahzoh wrote:
Fleur wrote:
You are back! Also, I use Inkscape.
If you enlarge everything, you can change the stroke size back to how it was before by going to 'Object' in the top menu, and then 'Fill and Stroke...' and then you can change the stroke size on the third tab in the menu that appears ('Stroke Style')
Spoiler:
I hope this helps!