Learning Korean / 한국어 공부하기

A forum for guides, lessons and sharing of useful information.
Serena
sinic
sinic

Learning Korean / 한국어 공부하기

Post by Serena »

This file is available as a PDF, for a more comfortable reading.

Lesson 1: The Korean alphabet

Hangŭl (한글) was created in the fifteenth century by King Sejong, the king of Joseon (An ancient korean Kingdom that included South Manchuria and the Korean Peninsula) to face the high amount of illiteracy. The Korean language couldn’t be written, and the only way to record written messages was translating the whole text into Chinese and using Chinese characters.

Hangŭl is inspired by the philosophical concept of Yin and Yang and was created by scientists who had knowledge of anatomy (It is featural). It is considered one of the most scientific alphabets in the world.

1.1 Consonants

*The consonantㅇis a velar nasal at the end of the syllable, but it is used as a dummy consonant to represent syllables that begin with a vowel. It is sometimes referred as “the silent consonant”.

1.2 Vowels and vowel harmony

Some vowels are not pronounced like we could expect. Most of the times there are historical reasons, such for the “+i” diphthongs that used to be pronounced with a final semi vocalic ‘i’ (애 = aj > 애 = ɛ) but now they changed because of phonetic mutations and they have another pronunciation. However, there are exceptions too, like 의that gets pronounced as /e/ when used as a particle, but /i:/ otherwise.

It’s very important to remember whether the vowel is light, dark or neuter, because it will be important when we will be going over morphology. Some endings and suffixes, indeed, have a different form according to the lightness or darkness of the last vowel of the root. Neuter vowels are used as dark most of the times, with a few exceptions.

1.3 Syllable building

ImageSyllable grouping is one of the fundamental operations in Korean. Indeed, Korean is not written sequentially one letter after another, it is grouped into “blocks” named “graphical syllables”. (Note: graphical syllables do not always coincide with their phonetic syllable).

ImageEach syllable has at least a consonant and a vowel. Vowels are distinguished in horizontal-shaped and vertical-shaped and they are added under the consonant if they are horizontal and next to the consonant if they are vertical. When the syllable begins with a vowel it can’t be written alone: the silent consonant is used.

ImageThe diphthongs with the semivowel ‘W’ are built with a horizontal-shaped and a vertical-shaped vowel, so we can have a syllable that has two vowels together. Light vowels always form diphthongs with light semivowels, and dark vowels with dark semivowels, so the sound /w/ is represented by ‘O’ before ‘A’ and before other light vowels but by ‘U’ otherwise.

ImageSyllables can have a final consonant or a group of two final consonants (Only the groupsㄳ ks, ㄵ nj, ㄶ nh, ㄺ lg, ㄻ lm, ㄼ lb, ㄽ ls, ㄾ lt, ㄿ lp’, ㅀ lh, ㅄ bs are allowed).

1.4 Brief addition on the Transcription system

The system commonly used by learners and linguists is McCune-Reischauer (MCR), even if the government adopts another one, named “Revised Latinization”. In these lessons I’ll be using MCR since it’s closer to the real pronunciation of the word. The consonants are transcribed as follows:
  • The consonants ㅂㅈㄷㄱㅅㅁㄴㅎare written as <p>, <ch>, <t>, <k>, <s>, <m>, <n> e <h>. The voiced stops are transcribed as <b>, <j>, <d>, <g>, <m> e <n>. No distinction between voiced and voiceless nasals is made.
  • Aspirated consonants ㅋㅊㅍare written with an apostrophe, <k’>, <ch’>, <p’>.
  • Long consonants ㅃㅉㄸㄲㅆare transcribed as <pp>, <tch>, <tt>, <kk> e <ss>. This kind of consonant never gets voiced.
  • Assimilation must be signaled, then aㅅ that assimilates to ㄷ is written as <t>. 있다 > (Iss -> It) Itta. Same thing for all the phenomena. A ㅅ is transcribed as <sh> before <i> or diphthongs beginning with <y>.
The vowels:
  • Vowels ㅏㅗㅓㅜㅡㅣㅐㅔare written as <a>, <o>, <ŏ>, <u>, <ŭ>, <i>, <ae> e <e>.
  • Diphthongs ㅑㅛㅕㅠㅒㅖare written as <ya>, <yo>, <yŏ>, <yu>, <yae> e <ye>.
  • Diphthongs ㅘ ㅙ ㅝ ㅞ ㅚ ㅟ ㅢ are transcribed as <wa>, <wae>, <wo>, <we>, <we>, <wi> e <ŭi>.
1.5 Peculiarities

1.5.1 Hangeul as a featural alphabet

The Korean alphabet is unique. It is referred as a “featural alphabet” (And the term featural alphabet was created to describe it!), which means that the shape of the letter is not just invented, but it is based on the shape of the mouth during the utterance of the sound.

ImageWe can easily see the similarities between the letters that share the same place of articulation (Each alveolar consonant have the same L-shaped stroke that represent the tongue hitting the teeth) and the manner of articulation (Each non nasal stop has a horizontal line that represent the occlusion).

The shape of the letters is less complex than the western alphabets, so that we can easily remember them.
Also, even if Korean has a lot of different sounds, the number of the consonants is relatively small: fourteen.

1.5.2 Hangeul as a morphophonemic alphabet

Lots of times the alphabets tend to represent sounds one by one. Sounds undergo various phonetic phenomena and sometimes the sound changes “hide” some grammatical features. Think about the English word “Illegal”, which is formed by the prefix “in” plus the word “legal”. The ‘n’ was assimilated and we no longer see it as a compound word. If we spelled it “inlegal” we would still have the same sound but we would preserve the etymology of the word.

ImageHangeul, indeed, is described as “morphophonemic”, because it underlines the grammatical blocks.
In the example image we see how the verbal phrase “Can’t go” must be written separating the particle “Can’t” and the stem of the verb to go. The grammatical blocks are underlined. If we transcribed it to the Latin alphabet, the t would be assimilated and the morpheme would no longer be underlines.

Lots of times Korean words have the same sound but are distinguished by how the grammatical blocks are aligned. A common example is:

낮가지 ≠ 나까지

Nat + ka + ji (Spend the day), is the sum of nat (낮, day), ka (가, to go) e ji (지, verbal ending). Overall, since the ‘t’ is assimilated, the word sounds like “nakkaji”, just like Na + kka.ji (Up to me), that on the other hand is the sum of na (나, I) e kkaji (까지, up to). Despite sounding alike, we can easily understand that the first one is a verb phrase and the other one is a pronoun with a postposition.

1.6 Phenomena and assimilations

Letters are not always pronounced the way I listed in the table of consonants. A lot of cluster that are allowed in the English language are not allowed in Korean and they are assimilated, following these rules.
  • Between two voiced borders (vowels or voiced consonants), all the non aspirated stops get voiced. 아가 > Aga.
  • Each consonant at the end of the syllable is pronounced as a non aspirated stop. Each aspirated consonant loses its aspiration and the affricates become stops (But the nasals and the laterals are still nasals and laterals). 맞다 > Matta.
  • The ㄹ has a / ɾ / sound word-initially or between voiced borders. Before or after a ㄴ, the ㄴ gets assimilated and the sound /l:/ is created. After a stop (except ㄴ), ㄹ is pronounced as /n/. 랄 > Ral; 안라 > Alla; 알나 > Alla; 악라 > Ang’na.
  • A stop gets nasal before another nasal. Non aspirated consonants get aspirated before or after an ㅎ. 앞나 > Amna. 놓다 > Not’a.
  • Before /i/ consonants are palatalized. 시 > Shi; 기 > Gi /Gʲi/.
Last edited by Serena on 23 Dec 2013 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
Serena
sinic
sinic

Re: Learning Korean / 한국어 공부하기

Post by Serena »

Exercises for the first lesson:
Write romanization / IPA for these words.

앗마 - 쌜니 - 곻바 - 야리 - 완기 - 달라
Spoiler:
앗마 /anma/ Anma
쌜니 /sːɛlːi/ Saelli
곻바 /kopʰa/ Kop'a
야리 /jaɾi/ Yari
완기 /wangi/ Wan-gi
달라 /talːa/ Talla
Plusquamperfekt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Plusquamperfekt »

Thank you really much... When I compared my answers to the correct solutions I noticed several differences... [:|]
Spoiler:
(1) Between two voiced borders (vowels or voiced consonants), all the non aspirated stops get voiced. 아가 > Aga.
(2) Each consonant at the end of the syllable is pronounced as a non aspirated stop. Each aspirated consonant loses its aspiration and the affricates become stops (But the nasals and the laterals are still nasals and laterals). 맞다 > Matta.
(3) The ㄹ has a / ɾ / sound word-initially or between voiced borders. Before or after a ㄴ, the ㄴ gets assimilated and the sound /l:/ is created. After a stop (except ㄴ), ㄹ is pronounced as /n/. 랄 > Ral; 안라 > Alla; 알나 > Alla; 악라 > Ang’na.
(4) A stop gets nasal before another nasal. Non aspirated consonants get aspirated before or after an ㅎ. 앞나 > Amna. 놓다 > Not’a.
(5) Before /i/ consonants are palatalized. 시 > Shi; 기 > Gi /Gʲi/.

앗마 {as+ma} > {at+ma} (rule 2) > {an+ma} {rule 4}
쌜니 {sel+ni} > {sel+li} (rule 3)
곻바 /kopʰa/ Kop'a > {koh+pa} > {ko-pha} (rule 4}
야리 /jaɾi/ Yari > {ja+ri} {rule 3}
완기 /wangi/ Wan-gi > {wan+ki} > {wan+gi} (rule 1)
달라 /talːa/ Talla

That was tough... :/
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

Very good lessons, you managed to get through a lot in a very clear and concise manner. The only two criticisms are that you didn't really explain the transcription of the consonants and the section on how Hangeul is morphophonemic was a little unclear. Also I noticed that the analysis you're using doesn't have tense consonants or tones. Are you going to touch on either of these at all?
Spoiler:
앗마 - asma
쌜니 - ssaelli
곻바 - kop'a
야리 - yali
완기 - oenki
달라 - talla
Serena
sinic
sinic

Post by Serena »

kanejam wrote:Very good lessons, you managed to get through a lot in a very clear and concise manner
Thanks.
you didn't really explain the transcription of the consonants
I'll be writing a little note on the transcription in the second lesson :) It's very intuitive, anyway...
and the section on how Hangeul is morphophonemic was a little unclear
I can give further explaination if you tell me what did you find unclear :)
Also I noticed that the analysis you're using doesn't have tense consonants

Tense consonants are listed in the table of the consonants.
or tones.
Korean is not a tonal language.

Also:
Spoiler:
앗마 - asma, the s before other consonants is assimilated to 't'. Before nasals, 't' becomes nasal, so the whole thing becomes "anma".
쌜니 - ssaelli
곻바 - kop'a
야리 - yali, the l between vowels or voiced consonants is r. Yari.
완기 - oenki, 완 is "wan". Ki between vowels or voiced consonants is g. So Wan-gi
달라 - talla
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

Serena wrote:
kanejam wrote:Very good lessons, you managed to get through a lot in a very clear and concise manner
Thanks.
you didn't really explain the transcription of the consonants
I'll be writing a little note on the transcription in the second lesson :) It's very intuitive, anyway...
Okay so there'll never be a voiced stop at the start of a syllable? And the transcription is very phonetic.
Serena wrote:
and the section on how Hangeul is morphophonemic was a little unclear
I can give further explaination if you tell me what did you find unclear :)
No I understand, I was just letting you know in case you want to revise the lessons.
Serena wrote:
Also I noticed that the analysis you're using doesn't have tense consonants

Tense consonants are listed in the table of the consonants.
or tones.
Korean is not a tonal language.
So the geminate consonants are tense? In most of the Korean phonologies I've seen, the tense consonants are treated as having 'tense' phonation rather than just gemination. How are they pronounced at the start of a word, like ssaelli?

I've also read things about how the tense distinction is being lost and replaced by a tonal distinction, supposedly through the bleeding of the tense phonation onto the vowels.

Thanks for the corrections! So s can't exist before other consonants? I should have remembered that intervocalic /l/ is [r]
Serena
sinic
sinic

Post by Serena »

kanejam wrote: So the geminate consonants are tense? In most of the Korean phonologies I've seen, the tense consonants are treated as having 'tense' phonation rather than just gemination. How are they pronounced at the start of a word, like ssaelli?
At the beginning of the syllable what you said is correct. However, most of the times the consonants do geminate, because they mostly occur in the middle of the word. For example in 있어 issŏ and 있다 itta the consonants "s" and "t" are geminated.
I've also read things about how the tense distinction is being lost and replaced by a tonal distinction, supposedly through the bleeding of the tense phonation onto the vowels.
Never heard of it, it must be a new theory of something. Could you link me these resources? :)
So s can't exist before other consonants?
There are no clusters beginning with s. It always assimilate to t.
Serena
sinic
sinic

Post by Serena »

NOTE: I UPDATED THE PDF VERSION OF LESSON 1. CLICK HERE.

1.4 Brief addition on the Transcription system

The system commonly used by learners and linguists is McCune-Reischauer (MCR), even if the government adopts another one, named “Revised Latinization”. In these lessons I’ll be using MCR since it’s closer to the real pronunciation of the word. The consonants are transcribed as follows:

• The consonants ㅂㅈㄷㄱㅅㅁㄴㅎare written as <p>, <ch>, <t>, <k>, <s>, <m>, <n> e <h>. The voiced stops are transcribed as <b>, <j>, <d>, <g>, <m> e <n>. No distinction between voiced and voiceless nasals is made.
• Aspirated consonants ㅋㅊㅍare written with an apostrophe, <k’>, <ch’>, <p’>.
• Long consonants ㅃㅉㄸㄲㅆare transcribed as <pp>, <tch>, <tt>, <kk> e <ss>. This kind of consonant never gets voiced.
• Assimilation must be signaled, then aㅅ that assimilates to ㄷ is written as <t>. 있다 > (Iss -> It) Itta. Same thing for all the phenomena. A ㅅ is transcribed as <sh> before <i> or diphthongs beginning with <y>.

The vowels:

• Vowels ㅏㅗㅓㅜㅡㅣㅐㅔare written as <a>, <o>, <ŏ>, <u>, <ŭ>, <i>, <ae> e <e>.
• Diphthongs ㅑㅛㅕㅠㅒㅖare written as <ya>, <yo>, <yŏ>, <yu>, <yae> e <ye>.
• Diphthongs ㅘ ㅙ ㅝ ㅞ ㅚ ㅟ ㅢ are transcribed as <wa>, <wae>, <wo>, <we>, <we>, <wi> e <ŭi>.
Plusquamperfekt
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Plusquamperfekt »

Will there be a next lesson?! ;)
Serena
sinic
sinic

Post by Serena »

Plusquamperfekt wrote:Will there be a next lesson?! ;)
Of course there will be. I don't know when, though... ;)