IPA Charts

A forum for guides, lessons and sharing of useful information.
Raydred
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: IPA Charts

Post by Raydred »

Milyamd wrote:
Raydred wrote:And I meant doing a chart for non-pulmonic consonants in the same way as the pulmonic consonant chart.
It's a good idea, but where would you include k͜ʘ? In velars? In labials? What about g͜ʘ? And q͜ʘ? And q͜ǃ?
I said I would keep the chart simple for clicks because you can construct the various clicks using the symbols of pulmonic consonants. X)
(But it's possible anyway. It just gets a bit longer.)
Maximillian
greek
greek

Post by Maximillian »

Raydred wrote:What I mean is the distinction between Glottalic/Uvular/Velaric egressives.
And I meant doing a chart for non-pulmonic consonants in the same way as the pulmonic consonant chart.
Give me an example, because I don't follow you... =\
UNUS•ET•UNICUS
Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous »

Maximillian wrote:
Raydred wrote:What I mean is the distinction between Glottalic/Uvular/Velaric egressives.
And I meant doing a chart for non-pulmonic consonants in the same way as the pulmonic consonant chart.
Give me an example, because I don't follow you... =\
glottalic egressives = ejectives
velaric egressives = clicks in k͡
uvular egressives = clicks in q͡

Although it's very rare for languages to have POA contrasts for the back articulation of clicks. If there's a different chart for clicks than for other consonants, as far as I know it's almost always because, as in Nama, there are so many clicks compared to the consonants (or so many phonation contrasts, or whatever) that it's hard to fit them all into a chart.
Maximillian
greek
greek

Post by Maximillian »

Nortaneous wrote:glottalic egressives = ejectives
No.. Clicks are lingual ingressive, or velaric ingressive. Check this and this.

And I meant an example of a table.
UNUS•ET•UNICUS
Raydred
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Raydred »

Maximillian wrote:
Nortaneous wrote:glottalic egressives = ejectives
No.. Clicks are lingual ingressive, or velaric ingressive. Check this and this.

And I meant an example of a table.
Yep. Clicks are ingressive so what Nortaneous said doesn't apply(although they could be represented like that with the egressive symbol).
And well they're very, very rare. The only documented language with it is Damin->http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damin. A language every conlanger should read a bit about, it's interesting.

Anyway, your not following me on what? On ejectives? Well on glottalic egressives you have ejectives, on velaric egressive you have damin, on uvular egressives you have nothing.
If you're talking about the chart I'm just saying making chart for non-pulmonic consonants, similiar to the pulmonic consonant's chart.

Edit:Nortaneous, is that hocus pocus?
Maximillian
greek
greek

Post by Maximillian »

You propose to make a chart for all possible clicks, when all we have is six official IPA symbols? Sorry, but I'm not interested. :roll: There is nearly an infinite number of possible combinations.
UNUS•ET•UNICUS
Raydred
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Raydred »

Maximillian wrote:You propose to make a chart for all possible clicks, when all we have is six official IPA symbols? Sorry, but I'm not interested. :roll: There is nearly an infinite number of possible combinations.
I always said to keep the clicks at minimum? O:
Maximillian
greek
greek

Post by Maximillian »

Raydred wrote:I always said to keep the clicks at minimum? O:
That's the problem. Let's say I decide to make such a table. What clicks will go there? What about complex clicks? And, most importantly, what for?
UNUS•ET•UNICUS
Raydred
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Raydred »

Maximillian wrote:
Raydred wrote:I always said to keep the clicks at minimum? O:
That's the problem. Let's say I decide to make such a table. What clicks will go there? What about complex clicks? And, most importantly, what for?
I was suggesting something like this.
Central ʘ ǀ ǂ ǃ ‼
Lateral ǀǀǀ ǂǂ ǁ
Flapped ǃ¡
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Click_consonant
Something simple that wouldn't worry about the rest of the features.

What for? Not sure what do you mean but I think my mind is just being lazy avoiding the big click chart.
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

Lateral articulations should be different POAs IMHO.
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
roninbodhisattva
MVP
MVP

Post by roninbodhisattva »

Milyamd wrote:Lateral articulations should be different POAs IMHO.
What? Why?
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

roninbodhisattva wrote:
Milyamd wrote:Lateral articulations should be different POAs IMHO.
What? Why?
So, laterals often depend on point of articulation: there's no labial, uvular nor glottal laterals, obviously. They also have many own manners of articulation as centrals have: central and lateral approximates, affricates, fricatives, flaps, clicks.
I think it should be something like:
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

X	Labial | Labiodental | Dental | Dental lat. | Alveolar | Alv. lat. | Postalv. | Postalv. lat. | Retroflex | Retroflex lat. | Palatal | Palatal lat. | Velar | Velar lat. | Uvular | Pharyngeal | Epiglottal | Glottal
Nasal
Plosive
Ejective stop
Implosive
Affricate
Fricative
(Ej. fricative)
Approximant
Flap
Trill
Click
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
roninbodhisattva
MVP
MVP

Post by roninbodhisattva »

All that does is expand the chart in a way that doesn't actually reflect the facts about laterals. Laterals are a type of articulation, not a place, and because of that, they've been placed on manner of articulation side of the chart. In a language that contrasts and [ɬ], the difference is not in place of articulation, but how the tongue is articulating the fricative at the alveolar point of articulation. The fact that they can't be made at certain points of articulation doesn't matter...it's just a physiological fact. Epiglottal stops aren't possible either. Neither are pharyngeal nasals.

I should hedge here a little bit: I don't have any problem with splitting up the alveolar column of a phonemic inventory chart in a descriptive grammar of language X that contrasts and [ɬ] into sub-columns for lateral and central articulations. Just so long as it's recognized those are not different POAs.
Maximillian
greek
greek

Post by Maximillian »

Raydred wrote:Something simple that wouldn't worry about the rest of the features.
Ok, I'll see what I can do about it on the week-end.
UNUS•ET•UNICUS
Raydred
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Raydred »

Maximillian wrote:
Raydred wrote:Something simple that wouldn't worry about the rest of the features.
Ok, I'll see what I can do about it on the week-end.
Nice. Also what people are these charts aiming to help? Just to think of how extensive it should be. First I think you said it would be a list of almost all the possible sounds but then you said you didn't want it to be to exhaustive.
Maximillian
greek
greek

Post by Maximillian »

Raydred wrote:Also what people are these charts aiming to help? Just to think of how extensive it should be.
The original idea was to help myself, so I created the first PDF. Then I thought it might be helpful to others too, so all this came out. :-D I think to keep it aimed to conlangers who have hard time in creating/organising phonologies, but anything will do.
Raydred wrote:First I think you said it would be a list of almost all the possible sounds but then you said you didn't want it to be to exhaustive.
I said that it was helping, because you have almost all possible sounds before your eyes, but I was referring mainly to pulmonics and vowels. I didn't even think about clicks then! :mrgreen:
UNUS•ET•UNICUS
Maximillian
greek
greek

Post by Maximillian »

IPA – X-SAMPA Correspondence Charts
Download
UNUS•ET•UNICUS