Basic vocabulary in Miwonša (artlang created in 2011)

A forum for guides, lessons and sharing of useful information.
Quetzalcoatl
rupestrian
rupestrian

Basic vocabulary in Miwonša (artlang created in 2011)

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Part 1: 100 of the most essential nouns

I will not give you a chart with all the phonemes in Miwonša even though I am "fluent" in IPA. Instead, I will give you a sound file and let you decide whether you like the sound or not :)

https://voca.ro/1hzA75VztseQ

anro father
aran, aranška king, queen
astwo salt
canka street, road
čhakči problem
čhamo fire (incident)
chano grass
čhera tree
cunka cow
cupi tooth
čwona book
cwono time
fjanža horse
fjara hair
hanza dog
kaika cat
kaipi mountain
kičan, kičanška teacher
kico baby
kišwa bread
kjačwa travel, voyage
kjaimi milk
kjani heart
kjaško government
kjašpi car
kjunšo boy
kjupi sugar
kjura dirt
krišma grave
kuimi winter
kwančo life
kwašpi cigarette
kwenska search
Kwonca Earth (planet)
kwonja arrival
kwonska word
kwonšo husband
lažwo table (furniture)
lhanska question
lufja sleep
lura night
luzja happiness
maca mother
manha kind, type
maška foot
miča food
miwa love
načanka person
nanha fight
nanstwo birth
nanža sister
niška example
njansi information
njara moon
njeli tear
piwo ball
pjanro hand
šanha evening
šankwa snake
šanlo year
sapjo mirror
šima earth (material)
siwa water
sjazi mouse
sjuli forest
sjuni face
škanca basket
škapa leg
škonja woman
šonkwa daughter
sonro voice
spira wind
stara cause
šuhwo hole
šupi wing
swonsa sun
tahonta human
tanro help
tara day
thašča factory
thonšo head
thuči clothes
thukči address
thunhwo god
tiwa hate
tunfo apple
tuškan, tuškanška friend
wali house
wanca girl
waro ear
waškan man
wonco child
žanjo eye
zanžo city
zašča death
zjali star
zjašpi money
zwanši family
žwela river
žwena language
sangi39

Re: Basic vocabulary in Miwonša (artlang created in 2011)

Post by sangi39 »

Oh are you Plusquamperfekt, but using a new account?
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Quetzalcoatl
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Plusquamperfekt was my nickname in another forum (unilang.org)
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Quetzalcoatl wrote: 25 Mar 2022 16:00 Plusquamperfekt was my nickname in another forum (unilang.org)
Ahhh, cool [:D] I saw "Miwonša" and thought "that name is familiar". You'd posted about it here a few years ago too as Plusquamperfekt [:)]
Just one time.
Flavia
sinic
sinic

Post by Flavia »

Quetzalcoatl wrote: 25 Mar 2022 16:00 Plusquamperfekt was my nickname in another forum (unilang.org)
And also here.
XIPA
:pol: > :eng: > :esp: > :lat: > :fra: > :por: > :deu:
Abaniscen cancasirnemor
Quetzalcoatl
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Titus Flavius wrote: 25 Mar 2022 17:07
And also here.
Oops... I wasn't even aware that I have two accounts in this forum. If this is against the forum rules, you can close on of my two accounts.
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Quetzalcoatl wrote: 25 Mar 2022 20:02
Titus Flavius wrote: 25 Mar 2022 17:07
And also here.
Oops... I wasn't even aware that I have two accounts in this forum. If this is against the forum rules, you can close on of my two accounts.
The account you're using now was created like 6 months after your last post as Plusquamperfekt, so I assume it was a case of just forgetting a password, and then just forgetting the account existed or not having access to whichever account you used to reset passwords as Plusquamperfekt, leaving you to start from scratch.

The rule against multiple accounts is mostly to prevent "sockpuppeting", so I don't mind leaving both accounts open, since it looks like you'll be posting as Quetzalcoatl from now on anyway [:)]

Sorry I derailed things so fast. Welcome back to you and Miwonša [:D]
Just one time.
Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Lorik »

Could you please explain the difference between <c> and <č>? I've listened to your audio a few times and they sound the same to me.
Native: :bra: | Fluent: :eng: :fra: | Intermediate: :rus:
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Quetzalcoatl wrote: 25 Mar 2022 20:02 Oops... I wasn't even aware that I have two accounts in this forum. If this is against the forum rules, you can close on of my two accounts.
Sangi's right . . . it's only against the rules if you claim that your multiple accounts are two (or more) different people (like that Darkgamma dude we had several years back, who created an alternate account called "Qaar" and said it was his housemate) or at least present them as different people (like that dude who created four different accounts that were all purportedly different people but all started lots of threads asking "what-if" questions about Indo-European diachronics, which gave him away). So don't have one account claim to be a 19-year-old bisexual boy from Montreal who listens to punk and have your other account claim to be a 13-year-old straight girl from Taipei who's in love with the Jonas Brothers or anything like that. You're fine though -- we had Jim Hopkins (one of my favorite conlangers) post as Tsiasuk-Pron many years ago, and then join again as Itlani Jim several years later. It's widely known that both of them are Jim Hopkins and he talked about (and wrote in!) Itlani many times under both accounts, so he was being completely aboveboard about who we was, and, given the time lapse, probably either forgot he had already created a CBB account many years earlier or forgot his password (maybe even his username too) since it had been so long since the last signed in. And Mira (back when she was posting as OTheB) created an "OTheB" account, took a long break, created an account called "OTheB 2" saying she had forgotten the sign-in info for her original account, and asked for help.

You seem to have forgotten about your Plusquamperfekt account and probably don't even remember the password for that account (unless you use the same password for all your accounts?), plus you're obviously not deceiving us about who you are, since both accounts identify Miwonša as their conlang, so you'll probably never post under Plusquamperfekt again. Just keep using this one (hopefully you're going to stick around with us CBBizens this time, right?) and you'll be fine.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

I Lorik wrote: 25 Mar 2022 23:43 Could you please explain the difference between <c> and <č>? I've listened to your audio a few times and they sound the same to me.
Checking the wiki for the conlang, from what I can tell <c> is /c ~ tɕ/ (<ti> is also pronounced [tɕi], I think?) while <č> is /tʃ/
Just one time.
Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Lorik »

sangi39 wrote: Checking the wiki for the conlang, from what I can tell <c> is /c ~ tɕ/ (<ti> is also pronounced [tɕi], I think?) while <č> is /tʃ/
Got it, thank you.
Native: :bra: | Fluent: :eng: :fra: | Intermediate: :rus:
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Having a phonemic distinction between /ɕ/ and /ʃ/ in the same language is extremely rare though, right?
♂♥♂♀

sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Khemehekis wrote: 26 Mar 2022 03:28 Having a phonemic distinction between /ɕ/ and /ʃ/ in the same language is extremely rare though, right?
Could be a transcription thing? I've seen some people use /ʃ/ in place of /ʂ/ for Polish (Wikipedia even goes as far as saying "most Polish scholars" use the former), in which case this could be /ʂ/ vs. /ɕ/ in Miwonša
Just one time.
Quetzalcoatl
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

Khemehekis wrote: 26 Mar 2022 03:28 Having a phonemic distinction between /ɕ/ and /ʃ/ in the same language is extremely rare though, right?
Polish has it, so does Mandarin Chinese.

This is the complete consonant inventory of Miwonša:

p p' t t' k k'
m n ɲ (ŋ)
f s z ʂ ʐ ɕ h
ts tʂ tʂ' tɕ tɕ'
w ʍ l ɬ r j

Actually I am very satisfied with my phonology, there have been no major changes in Miwonša's phonology since 2013 or 2014.

The last big change was that Miwonša tolerates voiced obstruents in loanwords from natlangs (b, d, g, v, dʐ), but the sounds are not phonemic because they can be pronounced like their voiceless counterparts, i.e. the pronunciation depends a little bit on the speaker's level of education. In my native language German, for instance, some words of French origin contain nasal vowels like "Restaurant", "Cousin", "Engagement" etc. but not every speaker pronounces the vowels nasally. Some people just replace the nasal vowel by a sequence of an oral vowel and a nasal consonant, so they say "Restaurong" instead of "Restaurant". The situation with <b, d, g, v, dʐ> is similar. If you want to sound like an academic, you would pronounce the sounds in a voiced way. However, in casual speech, e.g. when you are sitting with your friends in a pub, you would probably devoice the sounds.

As for the rest, the consonant inventory of Miwonša is very symmetrical and balanced. The few irregularities (like the presence of [ʍ] and [ɕ]) can be attributed to historical developments... So, why does Miwonša have a voiceless "w" sound? Actually it evolved from a consonant cluster, namely [hw]. And [ɕ] is the result of another consonant cluster, namely [hj].

Actually, there are no official "dialects" for Miwonša because the conlang is not yet connected to any constructed world, but I have the idea spinning in my head to create a dialect in which [ɬ] will merge with [ɕ] and in which final [k] sounds are pronounced as [x].
Quetzalcoatl
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Quetzalcoatl »

As for š, ž, č and čh: The exact tongue position can vary a little bit: You can use labialized postalveolar fricatives as in German or more retroflex fricatives as in Polish. I can hardly hear any difference between the German "sch" as in "Schule" and the Polish "sz" as in "szkoła", the difference is very subtle and I leave it up to the speaker. However, hj, c and ch are pronouced exactly like ś and ć in Polish, these sounds are alveolo-palatal.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Quetzalcoatl wrote: 26 Mar 2022 19:49
Polish has it, so does Mandarin Chinese.
Oh, OK, cool!
♂♥♂♀