I invented a new wordlist

A forum for guides, lessons and sharing of useful information.
ThatAnalysisGuy
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

I invented a new wordlist

Post by ThatAnalysisGuy »

Hello. Not any earlier than last year, I created a wordlist that I called the GeoLife Wordlist. Like the Swadesh list, a set of basic vocabulary in the first language (usually English) are compared with another language that are least likely to be borrowed from another language/dialect. However, unlike the Swadesh list, there are around 80 words being compared, and there are usually two or three languages (including English) being compared. There is a choice of either IPA transcript or a written form.

Here is the wordlist that I created:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... output=pdf
:usa: :epo:
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Re: I invented a new wordlist

Post by Salmoneus »

What are the advantages of your wordlist?

How did you calculate resistance to borrowing?

What makes your list different from the Leipzig-Jakarta?

Why do you include many distinctions that are frequently not made in real languages (like who vs what, arm vs hand, etc)? Wouldn't it be more helpful to fill the list with words that are likely to have direct and precise translations?

I don't understand what you mean about the list usually being used with English (usually? how many papers have cited your list?), or its unique feature of being able to be used to compare multiple languages simultaneously (which is what Swadesh is mostly used for too)?
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: I invented a new wordlist

Post by Khemehekis »

Salmoneus wrote: 09 Aug 2022 13:47 Why do you include many distinctions that are frequently not made in real languages (like who vs what, arm vs hand, etc)?
Bee vs. wasp stuck out at me. We have a whole thread on the difference between bees and wasps here . . .
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!