Forum News discussion/feedback thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: Forum News discussion/feedback thread

Post by elemtilas »

Lambuzhao wrote: 06 Mar 2019 01:12 When I make an attempt to respond to someone using their own conlang as my means of discourse, imagine that as me smashing my own version of the big red "Like Button" . [:P]
Right.

And this is one kind of response that is most appreciated!

Appreciated, that is, once the recipient recovers from the shock.

And in some cases, refers back to lexicon and reference grammar to sort out what was just said!
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Aszev wrote: 05 Mar 2019 21:24
gestaltist wrote: 05 Mar 2019 20:33
sangi39 wrote: 05 Mar 2019 02:44 I think Aszev would have to do the work on that one, but I'm sort of 50/50 on a "like" button as a feature.
I actually PMed him a while back to bring this thread to his attention but he still didn't open the PM. Either he's flooded with messages or not around much. I'm not holding my breath for any changes.
Sorry about that! I do check in regularly, but I'll sometimes skip logging in, thus not seeing PMs.

I do like the idea of a like function. The issue is that it's not a built-in feature of phpbb, meaning that we first have to find a suitable addon for it (not necessarily a major issue) and then hope that it's being updated as newer versions of phpbb are released. It's primarily the latter which I see as problematic. We've had addons on the forum in the past that we just had to get rid of due to them not being updated along with the board. But I'll try to find some time to look into it! In any case, I apologize for the lack of communication on my part.
Thanks Aszev! I agree, finding a well-maintained plugin can be a pain. The other forum I mentioned had that function built-in so it was definitely easier for them. If you can implement it, I'll be very happy. If not, I understand the difficulties involved. It matters to me that you saw the suggestion and gave it some thought. :)
Lambuzhao wrote: 06 Mar 2019 01:12 When I make an attempt to respond to someone using their own conlang as my means of discourse, imagine that as me smashing my own version of the big red "Like Button" . [:P]
Yeah, I was thinking about you throughout this conversation. You do realize you're a unicorn, though. [:)]
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

I think a like button would be useful if people who wouldn't have commented (because they don't have any specific things they can comment on, they don't have the time to comment but want to show they are reading the thread and enjoyed a post) are going to use it, and people who would have commented with useful input use it in addition to that or do not use it. Neutral functions of a like button might be saving specific posts so one can come back and comment later.

A dislike button would not be of use, I think, because people would either use it for petty reasons ("I don't like prenasalized consonants and you use a lot of prenasalized consonants. Dislike!" OR it would be used when people should really just report the post or user instead of giving them a little slap on the wrist. Then again, social disapproval can be a strong force to stop certain behaviors before they get to the point of needing a ban. Then again again, some people thrive on any attention or interest.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I agree with what Linguistcat just said.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

gestaltist wrote: 06 Mar 2019 09:20
Aszev wrote: 05 Mar 2019 21:24
gestaltist wrote: 05 Mar 2019 20:33
sangi39 wrote: 05 Mar 2019 02:44 I think Aszev would have to do the work on that one, but I'm sort of 50/50 on a "like" button as a feature.
I actually PMed him a while back to bring this thread to his attention but he still didn't open the PM. Either he's flooded with messages or not around much. I'm not holding my breath for any changes.
Sorry about that! I do check in regularly, but I'll sometimes skip logging in, thus not seeing PMs.

I do like the idea of a like function. The issue is that it's not a built-in feature of phpbb, meaning that we first have to find a suitable addon for it (not necessarily a major issue) and then hope that it's being updated as newer versions of phpbb are released. It's primarily the latter which I see as problematic. We've had addons on the forum in the past that we just had to get rid of due to them not being updated along with the board. But I'll try to find some time to look into it! In any case, I apologize for the lack of communication on my part.
Thanks Aszev! I agree, finding a well-maintained plugin can be a pain. The other forum I mentioned had that function built-in so it was definitely easier for them. If you can implement it, I'll be very happy. If not, I understand the difficulties involved. It matters to me that you saw the suggestion and gave it some thought. :)
Yeah, I was thinking about you throughout this conversation. You do realize you're a unicorn, though. [:)]
I prefer Monoceras, but pot/eɪ/to pot/æ/to…
[B)]
Hālian
sinic
sinic

Post by Hālian »

Whatever happened to tables? I see that they were implemented a while ago but that the markup involved no longer renders.
Image Safir Alliance
Image Hoennese Realm
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Lambuzhao wrote: 10 Mar 2019 00:38 I prefer Monoceras, but pot/eɪ/to pot/æ/to…
[B)]
Isn't it "pot/eɪ/to, pot/ɑ/to"?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 89,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

eldin raigmore wrote: 07 Mar 2019 03:19 I agree with what Linguistcat just said.
Indeed, I felt its lack just minutes ago.

(I mean I wanted a “like” button.)
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

I'm going to miss the "special" ranks, not only because they've been an easy way to identify who wrote a post at a glance (especially for those of us who just can't figure out how to get a profile picture/avatar that's the right size), but because I thought it was a fun system that gave board members some interesting goals, if they wanted them. However, I can't deny the logic behind getting rid of them, so even though it'll take some getting used to, visually, I agree with and support this decision, for whatever that's worth. Hopefully a way can be found to get the system working again so they can be brought back some day, though.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

shimobaatar wrote: 04 May 2019 16:22 I'm going to miss the "special" ranks, not only because they've been an easy way to identify who wrote a post at a glance (especially for those of us who just can't figure out how to get a profile picture/avatar that's the right size), but because I thought it was a fun system that gave board members some interesting goals, if they wanted them. However, I can't deny the logic behind getting rid of them, so even though it'll take some getting used to, visually, I agree with and support this decision, for whatever that's worth. Hopefully a way can be found to get the system working again so they can be brought back some day, though.
I'm guessing that "the system of awarding these ranks hadn't really been working for quite some time" really means "no one wanted to deal with them anymore". For a couple years, I made requests for special ranks, particularly on behalf of others, but never heard back and never saw any change in ranks. So I just figured the moderators were no longer into that. Or perhaps it was just the mods I asked... [:'(]

Me, I actually disagree with the decision to discontinue the ranks entirely. So long as the system works, they are fun, they do serve to recognise special merit, they also serve as goals new (and old) folks can aspire to. Some of the ranks were, perhaps, unattainable and others seemed to be duplicates. But for the most part, many ranks were (on paper) quite easy to obtain. A fairly large number of folks, at least in my estimation, were eligible and often for multiple ranks.

Rather than ditching them, I'd put in a vote for the creation of a new system (based on the old, perhaps, but maybe with a number of new ranks) and perhaps hire a moderator whose primary duty is handling that part of the system!
Ossicone
vice admin
vice admin

Post by Ossicone »

As the person who was primarily in charge of the special ranks, I also enjoyed them a lot, but they took a while to review and award. (That is part of what made them special.) Getting a special rank meant that I had thoroughly read and responded to your conlang. At that time I had much more free time to do that sort of thing. Once I no longer had time to do this, there wasn't really anyone available who did.

So the ranks essentially became unattainable, which feels unfair to newer members. They were fun while they lasted, but could not be sustained.

Also, in regard to the like button: I could not find a suitable plugin for it that was still being maintained. You'll just have to live with typing out "I like this." or "Cool idea." or "I enjoyed reading your post." and then pushing submit.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Ossicone wrote: 05 May 2019 00:06 As the person who was primarily in charge of the special ranks, I also enjoyed them a lot, but they took a while to review and award. (That is part of what made them special.) Getting a special rank meant that I had thoroughly read and responded to your conlang. At that time I had much more free time to do that sort of thing. Once I no longer had time to do this, there wasn't really anyone available who did.

So the ranks essentially became unattainable, which feels unfair to newer members. They were fun while they lasted, but could not be sustained.

Also, in regard to the like button: I could not find a suitable plugin for it that was still being maintained. You'll just have to live with typing out "I like this." or "Cool idea." or "I enjoyed reading your post." and then pushing submit.
Too bad about the like button. The idea has grown on me somewhat.

As for the ranks, there are always possibilities. Some new blood to manage them might reinvigorate that aspect of the place. Clearly, it's not a one person job, even if that one person is yourself!
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Have we ever considered adding an option to create polls? I wanted to ask the general community which path I should next take with my conlang, but I was dismayed to find that a simple poll feature does not exist on this board.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Ælfwine wrote: 13 May 2019 19:53 Have we ever considered adding an option to create polls? I wanted to ask the general community which path I should next take with my conlang, but I was dismayed to find that a simple poll feature does not exist on this board.
I’m sure this is not what you’re looking for, but the yay/nay thread could be used for that purpose.
Aevas
admin
admin

Post by Aevas »

The board does have a poll feature, it's just never been enabled. My rationale behind this has been that a) polls are easily abused or turned into something annoying (like if you end up having lots of polls with dumb/simplistic/loaded questions), and b) polls don't really give any depth unless the people also reply in posts, in which case the poll isn't really needed to begin with.

But of course, maybe neither of this would be a problem. If people would appreciate being able to make polls, I'm not against reconsidering.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Aszev wrote: 14 May 2019 18:40 The board does have a poll feature, it's just never been enabled. My rationale behind this has been that a) polls are easily abused or turned into something annoying (like if you end up having lots of polls with dumb/simplistic/loaded questions), and b) polls don't really give any depth unless the people also reply in posts, in which case the poll isn't really needed to begin with.

But of course, maybe neither of this would be a problem. If people would appreciate being able to make polls, I'm not against reconsidering.
I’m fine either way.
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

shimobaatar wrote: 04 May 2019 16:22 I'm going to miss the "special" ranks, not only because they've been an easy way to identify who wrote a post at a glance (especially for those of us who just can't figure out how to get a profile picture/avatar that's the right size), but because I thought it was a fun system that gave board members some interesting goals, if they wanted them. However, I can't deny the logic behind getting rid of them, so even though it'll take some getting used to, visually, I agree with and support this decision, for whatever that's worth. Hopefully a way can be found to get the system working again so they can be brought back some day, though.
g

o

n

e
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I started my current project in my Scrap Thread and Id like some moderator to move it to its own thread. It starts from the post Mon 29 Apr 2019, 12:18 (at some time zone I havent checked).
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Omzinesý wrote: 07 Jun 2019 15:00 Im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I started my current project in my Scrap Thread and Id like some moderator to move it to its own thread. It starts from the post Mon 29 Apr 2019, 12:18 (at some time zone I havent checked).
Done [:)] I haven't changed the title or anything (I think you can do that by editing the title of the first post?), but it's this thread
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

sangi39 wrote: 07 Jun 2019 16:56
Omzinesý wrote: 07 Jun 2019 15:00 Im not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I started my current project in my Scrap Thread and Id like some moderator to move it to its own thread. It starts from the post Mon 29 Apr 2019, 12:18 (at some time zone I havent checked).
Done [:)] I haven't changed the title or anything (I think you can do that by editing the title of the first post?), but it's this thread
Thank you!
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760