Famous CBB Quotes Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Famous CBB Quotes Thread

Post by Khemehekis »

eldin raigmore wrote: 05 Sep 2018 04:34 wife-PST for exwife
wife-FUT for fiancée
wife-POTENTIAL for potential wife (duh!)
wife-MIRATIVE for “I shouldn’t have gotten drunk in Las Vegas!”
Etc. ... verbal inflections applied to nouns.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Xing wrote: 16 Sep 2011 17:26 Why bother with vowels, at all? Perhaps languages don't need to have vowels. Maybe it's just an areal feature on the Earth.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Salmoneus wrote: 11 Apr 2019 19:56Similarly, while of course your superbeings might have some limits - a vegetarian superbeing might not kill cows for you to eat - it's not unreasonable to think that at least some of them might not require you to submit a complete ranking of all your film preferences to make sure you agree of the relative merits of Iron Man 3 and Batman Begins before they strike dead the ogre about to eat you.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

elemtilas wrote: 22 May 2019 03:44 ...., dicis tu tamatis dico 'go tomatus.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Salmoneus wrote: 23 Nov 2019 16:45 [to be fair, given the finite number of combinations of "[portentous word 1]'s [portentous word 2]" (or "[pw2] of [pw1]", for variety), it's becoming genuinely hard to find new epic fantasy novel titles that aren't already taken. There's only so many paths, ways, kings, traitors, swords (blades, knives), dragons, quests, heroes, princes (princesses), shadows, darknesses, thorns, flames, tests, clashes, wars, winters, summers, songs, knights, wizards, ships, magics, assassins, dawns, bloods, elves, thieves, and if you're Anne McCaffrey potentially dolphins to go around, and we may now have passed the event horizon of title-originality...]
♂♥♂♀

cedh
MVP
MVP

Post by cedh »

alynnidalar wrote: 19 Dec 2019 21:14
shimobaatar wrote: 19 Dec 2019 03:46
loglorn wrote: 18 Dec 2019 23:47
alynnidalar wrote: 18 Dec 2019 14:30 just would rather start 12/29 or 12/30 than 12/28)
(Also it took me unbearably long to decypher your dates)
Understandable. Rather than the 29th or 30th of December, alynnidalar could just as easily have been asking to go on the 12th day of the 29th or 30th month. We damn Americans insist on having one month per state, after all. [:P]
[xD] Sorry! Forgot to put it in nice unambiguous words. Yes I would like to go on the 12th day of Thirticember if possible, if not the 12th day of Twentynintuary will be acceptable as well.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

DV82LECM wrote: 04 Aug 2020 18:15
Khemehekis wrote: 04 Aug 2020 17:55 At first I thought the word in the title read "Neutrogena".
Neugrotien: smoothing out Polish's jagged and wrinkly phonetics.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Xonen wrote: 06 Aug 2020 02:16 So certainly, it's a compromise, and I guess it's possible that some part of the baby was lost with the bathwater. But if that's the case, then we'll just send Igor to find new baby parts and fix it.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Khemehekis wrote: 12 Oct 2020 04:02 Those who know of David Tennant would be the Whovians. They would be the nerdy types, who have a lot of knowledge of nerd and geek pop culture.

Those who know of Neil Tennant would be the Youth Culturalists. Knowledgeable of popular music, especially the alternative and indie artists. And, given the Pet Shop Boys' sexual orientation, many of the Neil people are quite likely to also be LGBT themselves.

Then we have the preppies.

These are the clean-cut, forties/fifties-era throwback, "Mom and apple pie" people who aspire to a corporate office job in a suit with 2.5 kids and an opposite-gender spouse. Like the soldiers of the Greatest Generation, they are Boy Scouts who love God and their country. They would gladly serve in uniform if they were drafted.

They know only of Lou Tennant.
♂♥♂♀

DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Salmoneus wrote: 12 Oct 2020 22:37*bear in mind, people are brilliant at walking - it's one of the things humans are best at.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

kiwikami wrote: 26 Oct 2020 07:46 It's late and I need to be productive but I also just remembered the animacy hierarchy, holy heck, tiny pieces of this grammar are returning to my mind like lost sheep running back to their keeper after stumbling into a ravine and watching their fellows fall to their depths and deciding that freedom just isn't worth it.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Salmoneus wrote: The more times you say something, the more it looks like you're lying. If I go to a restaurant and the chef comes out to say "we have passed all our hygiene tests!", you think "huh, that's a strange thing for her to say, but OK". But when the chef comes out and says "we have passed all our hygiene tests!!!" ten times before your starter has even arrived, you think "I will get food poisoning here" and leave.
♂♥♂♀

Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Reminds me of a restaurant we used to have near here that was in the same building as a water testing company. I should have seen that, but they shared a sign, so at first i assumed that the restaurant was advertising that they tested their water, as if to imply that we should be suspicious of all of the competing restaurants.

Both businesses have moved now and I cant remember what the restaurant was, other than that it was a standalone business and not part of a chain.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Salmoneus wrote: 15 Feb 2021 02:42 But Brazilian Portuguese is easy to spot - you just have to ask yourself, "is this Russian"? If you think that it's Russian, it's Brazilian Portuguese.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Vlürch wrote: 21 May 2021 02:21 But then again, mysteries are interesting... and good fodder for conlanging...
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

[In regard to McDonald's being called "Mickey D's"]
Xonen wrote: 18 Jun 2021 21:37 Besides, Mickey is associated with another American megacorporation known for feeding the world truly unhealthy amounts of bland, overprocessed junk, so it's quite a natural analogy... [¬.¬]
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 06 Aug 2021 17:33One of the great things about professional organisations (and presumably social ones like this) is the good food plus interesting topic combination. Nothing like the good old days of mingling cardiac procedures and linguine. But I wax nostalgic.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

An oldie but goodie I just found:
clawgrip wrote: 14 Nov 2015 01:19
HoskhMatriarch wrote:You're going to write in your conlang? Cool. I'm going to write in mine too, which might have to do with why I'm ending up with a bunch of low-frequency words when I don't yet have words for "one" or "blue"...
If you make a dedicated thread for your language, you'll end up with a word for "one" soon enough.
♂♥♂♀

shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Omzinesý wrote: 07 Sep 2021 12:19
Creyeditor wrote: 07 Sep 2021 09:19 What's an arealis mood?
atypo :)
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Salmoneus wrote: 20 Sep 2021 14:44And no, you're not a beatnik. You're also not a teddy boy, a flapper or a cavalier. There are no beatniks anymore; there probably were never any beatniks; one defining feature of being a beatnik was refusing to claim to be a beatnik, and ideally even publically condemning beatnikism (being a beatnik requires being super-cool, and anyone who claims to be cool isn't); and beatniks do not spend their time going "well actually the dictionaries I played with as a child DID use elements of the international phonetic alphabet!" on online conlanging forums. If you hitch-hike your way to Alaska by having sex with truckers for rides, work in a canning factory for six months before being fired for constantly high on benzodrine and LSD, chain-smoke your way back to New York (never changing your mud-and-semen-stained jeans, making a living by randomly stealing from strangers, and stopping to achieve enlightenment in a field in Iowa) and recite provocative poetry about truckers at suburban swinger's parties until someone gives you a book contract, THEN you can maybe call yourself a beatnik.