Famous CBB Quotes Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
opipik
mayan
mayan

Re: Famous CBB Quotes Thread

Post by opipik »

[quote="At the "Ak" thread, Prinsessa"]Maybe I should change my name to Akakak.[/quote]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Lambuzhao wrote:
Khemehekis wrote: In other words, a terrapin.

Well, yes but no. That depends a lot on what side of The Pond you may be. It's funny how generalizable or how specific a loanword may become, the farther it goes from its source. Take the humble Chiclet. In 'Murica, everyone knows that chiclets are the smallish, squarish flavorful nuggets of candy-coated chewing gum. It's shape and it's candy-coating have made it pretty unique in a world of all sorts of stick, ball, rod (cigarette), barrel, and even fluffy cuboidal (Am I describing gum or bacteria, here?) shapes of chewing gum. The original substance from which chewing gum was derived, chicle, was either Nahuatl or Maya, so that connection was no doubt preserved in at least Mexican Spanish. Nonetheless, years ago (at least soon after 1905)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ,_1905.jpg

the brand-name Chiclet became ensconced in Spanish-speaking countries (and lots of other parts of the world) pretty much unanimously as the go-to chewing gum, while in 'Murica, Cadbury-Adams got stiff competition from companies like Wrigley stick-gums Juicy Fruit (1893) Doublemint (1914), Topps' Bazooka (1947), etc. For decades, Chiclet was the only gamegum in town, if your town was outside of the U.S. of A. And, as a side note, anyone remember those rubber 'chiclet keyboards' of maniacally arsethurlish design, from the 1980s?
Yes, I'm looking at you Aquarius w/ yer 'el crappo' keboard composed of square eraser nubs. Fie on you, Aquarius, fie! [}:(] :mrred: :mrred:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... er_Mod.png

Sort of similarly, while certain varieties of water-going turtles may be called "terrapin" in the UK and elsewhere, really, that's not quite the case today in the land where the terrapin originally roams free. In Murican English, definition numero uno for terrapin is
US

a small edible turtle with lozenge-shaped markings on its shell, found in coastal marshes of the eastern US.
Red Eared Sliders might very well be edible. In fact, that might be a novel way to curb their exponential growth as a species well beyond their original range. Nonetheless, the toitle of which they speak is this absolutely beautiful, unworthy-of-the-pot-despite-it's-deliciousness Diamondback Terrapin, which had an impressive original range up and down the North American Atlantic Coastal marshes and wetlands.
I mean, just take a look at this thing of beauty:
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-r_fojR59hAg/T ... +month.jpg

http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/ ... b3a3e5.jpg

http://www.neoterrapin.com/genus/ornatejuv.jpg

While this is not to be confused with Tuck the Turtle, this turtle is certainly a WonderPet all its own, though pretty strictly protected in its range due to overfishing in the past. My son and I love to see the Terrapin Hatchery at the Stone Harbor Wetlands Institute in NJ every summer without fail. They are just so unreal, their leopard spots and their colorful 'lozenges' on the carapace. Seeing them swimming in the holding tanks is just plain mesmerizing... even more so than watching a Red-Eared Slider like Tuck and Ahzoh's Turtle.

BTW, careful with etymology. Terrapin seems to be derived from Algonquin sources, sure. But a little more digging unearths the probable culprits.
Abenaki (Maritime Canada & New England homeland) turepe, or Munsee (a Lenni-Lenape dialect spoken in Coastal NY, Northern NJ, and Northeastern PA) tolpew, or what survives in the Delaware (Lenni-Lenape). So, were these Algonquin words referring only to the ornate Diamondback? Most prolly not. A local toponym Tulpehocken comes from Delaware, and while the Delaware generic word for turtle is tahkox, Tulpehocken contains the root *tulpe-, and, unsurprisingly, it means 'land of turtles'. Nonetheless, a not so quick search of cognates in some Algonquian sisterlangs makes it pretty clear that the root *tulpe referred to smaller riparian/lacustrine/litoral chelonians .
Spoiler:
Eastern

Abenaki-Pennobscot doleba (*turepe)
Lenape (Delaware) tahkox (but also *tulpe-)
Unami (Delaware) pisëla~tulpe ‘softshell turtle’
Passamaquody-Maliseet cihkonaqc, mikcikc
Micmac migjigj
Munsee takwáx (but also tolpew)

Central
Cree mihkinâhk
Menominee: mehkɛ·na·h (“big turtle”)
Kickapoo maskoteehkeeha
Montagnais misinak
Ojibwe mikinaak (snapping turtle); mishiikenh (ibid.); miskwaadesi (painted turtle)
Sauk meshihkêha
Shawnee skutelawe

Plains
Arapaho be'enoo
Gros Ventre be'enou
Blackfoot sspopíi
Cheyenne ma'eno

Ritwan
Wiyot čačkhíwačk
Yurok krhlkrh

Most of these terms came from Lists of Animal Names from this site:
http://www.native-languages.org/famalg_words.htm
I also followed their classification, for better or worse.

Of the above, Wiktionary only had a Proto-Algonquian root-forms *mexkena·hkwa and *meʔšixkena·hkwa 'snapping-turtle' for the terms in red
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix: ... %C2%B7hkwa. By extension, in comparison to the Cheyenne, the terms in Arapaho and Gros Ventre could very well be related. I just don't know enough about Plains Algonquian sound-changes to be 100% certain.
This certainly was an interesting excursus, though!

If anyone can pinpoint a source that gives a Proto-Algonquian etymon for *tulpe/*torope (the thought crossed my mind that mebbe this is a loanword from another , non-Algic origin) much ojibliged.

When the ancestral form torope landed in Europe, it no doubt came to mean just about any kind of "foreign" turtle. But especially in Eastern "Murica, and especially bolstered by heavy conservation efforts therein, when folks mention 'terrapin', they mean Diamondback, just like Chiclet means one specific kind of gum in this little corner of Angledom.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Sḿtuval wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:I made many great posts in this thread and I can't find them...
This is why whenever I say something genius/witty/awesome I write it down in a notebook. That way, when I die and people read it (because I'll have destroyed any other evidence of who I was) their first impression of me will be:

And they will cry the rest of their lives, thinking of how the world used to be a better place.
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

epic maymay
Prinsessa
runic
runic

Post by Prinsessa »

opipik wrote:[quote="At the "Ak" thread, Prinsessa"]Maybe I should change my name to Akakak.
[/quote]
Hey, that's almost your name but in a different direction.
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval »

shimobaatar wrote:
Sḿtuval, out of context, wrote:Do you want to lick my turtle?
Absolutely.
I need to get a turtle now. [xD]
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

Sḿtuval wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
Absolutely.
By any chance, does the context have to do with Mandarin slang?
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

GrandPiano wrote:
Sḿtuval wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
Absolutely.
By any chance, does the context have to do with Mandarin slang?
Time to roll up my sleeves and fulfill my destiny, I suppose. [:P]

Context:
Spoiler:
From this thread/post.
Sḿtuval wrote:About practicality... you shouldn't worry too much about that. If you're going for a naturalistic language, it'd be more realistic to have a couple arbitrary rules. For example, English's rule that requires the auxiliary do in questions without an auxiliary (like in Do you want to lick my turtle?) seems impractical when you think about it. Or how Spanish requires some verbs to use a reflexive pronoun without meaning something reflexive (like in Él se cayó he REFL fall-3SG.PRT He fell, which literally means He fell himself [O.o]).
But now you've got me caught up on the fact that damn near a billion people are apparently walking around just casually talking about licking turtles on a daily basis. [O.O]

Jokes aside, I really am curious how this fits in with Mandarin slang. Perhaps this will be the topic of your next lesson (I really need to set aside some time for myself to get caught back up with that thread…)?
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

eldin wrote:Clearly, a Galbator is one who Galbates.
And, through the magic of folk-etymology,
we now have a brand-new synonym for trolling
i.e. gallbaiting.

See ya later, Gallybator!
After while, Phlegmadile!

Galleybator - The food service-lift on a Medieval rowing ship.

Gaul Vader - Dark Druid of the Sith
Znex
roman
roman

Post by Znex »

shimobaatar wrote:But now you've got me caught up on the fact that damn near a billion people are apparently walking around just casually talking about licking turtles on a daily basis. [O.O]

Jokes aside, I really am curious how this fits in with Mandarin slang. Perhaps this will be the topic of your next lesson (I really need to set aside some time for myself to get caught back up with that thread…)?
Apparently a turtle head is slang for a certain part of male genitalia.
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: :wls: : [:S] | :deu: :ell: :rus: : [:x]
Conlangs: Hawntow, Yorkish, misc.
she/her
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Oh goodness me.
Sḿtuval
greek
greek

Post by Sḿtuval »

Oh god I see it now. Can someone stick a pencil in my eyes?
I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Znex wrote:Apparently a turtle head is slang for a certain part of male genitalia.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Znex wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:I really am curious how this fits in with Mandarin slang.
If that's where GrandPiano was going with this, it's not slang; it's the bona fide word for the glans penis (dictionaries have it, whereas they don't include vulgar slang). I can't see the Mandarin wikipedia "penis" page (perhaps the Central Committee feels it offends delicate Chinese sensibilities (though the Cantopage is viewable, go figger), but the Japanese page (which apparently has the same word) has a diagram with the term pointing at said portion.
Edit: There's also a "glans penis" page with similar viewability issues (though the Chinese link shows "turtle head"), but the Japanese page uses the term without any tee-hee-heeing ribaldry. (Presumably, those of you elsewhere can read the Chinese pages if you care to)
Given that,
Sḿtuval wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
Absolutely.
Time to roll up my sleeves and fulfill my destiny, I suppose. [:P]
Oh god I see it now. Can someone stick a pencil in my eyes?
perhaps you should both close your eyes and think of Beijing. [;)]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Znex
roman
roman

Post by Znex »

Lao Kou wrote:
Znex wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:I really am curious how this fits in with Mandarin slang.
If that's where GrandPiano was going with this, it's not slang; it's the bona fide word for the glans penis (dictionaries have it, whereas they don't include vulgar slang). I can't see the Mandarin wikipedia "penis" page (perhaps the Central Committee feels it offends delicate Chinese sensibilities (though the Cantopage is viewable, go figger), but the Japanese page (which apparently has the same word) has a diagram with the term pointing at said portion.
Edit: There's also a "glans penis" page with similar viewability issues (though the Chinese link shows "turtle head"), but the Japanese page uses the term without any tee-hee-heeing ribaldry. (Presumably, those of you elsewhere can read the Chinese pages if you care to)
Yeah, the Mandarin page uses a similar diagram and freely uses the word 龟头.

If GP didn't mean that, I'm not really sure what else they could be referring to.
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: :wls: : [:S] | :deu: :ell: :rus: : [:x]
Conlangs: Hawntow, Yorkish, misc.
she/her
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

That is what I meant... For some reason, I could have sworn that MDBG said it was slang...
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

idov wrote:Using umlauts where they don't belong since 2015.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
GrandPiano
mayan
mayan

Post by GrandPiano »

qwed117 wrote:
idov wrote:Using umlauts where they don't belong since 2015.
Context?
idov
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by idov »

Romanization game; page 76:

/n ɳ ŋ/ <n ñ ŋ>
/t ʈ k q/ <t ṭ g k>
/s ʂ ɕ x χ h/ <s ṣ x ch q h>
/l ɭ ʟ/ <l ḷ ll>
/r ɽ ʀ/ <r ṛ rr>
/ɾ ɾ˞/ <d dd>
/ɹ ɻ/ <y ỵ>
/i ɨ u/ <i ü u>
/a/ <a> I'm proud now.

/b t d k g/ <b t d k g>
/m n/ <m n>
/f s h/ <f s h>
/j w l/ <j w l> I'm a bit less proud now.

/ɑ ɑ̃ e ẽ i ĩ o õ u ũ/ <a ä e ë i ï o ö u ü> idov, using umlauts where they don't belong since 2015.

Next phonology!:
/b bʱ t tʰ d dʱ k kʰ g gʱ q qʰ ɢ ɢʱ/
/ɸ β s z ʃ ʒ χ h/
/m n/
/l ʎ ʟ/

/i u/
/ə o ɔ ʌ/
/a/

I hope that helps.
The accusative of <emo> is <eminem>. :lat:
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Salmoneus wrote: I also don't get the joke. How is saying "here is a [thing that isn't here]" a joke? I am an eggnog, here is a sandwich, elephants are purple, 2+2=5, wow I've suddenly become hilarious.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!