Famous CBB Quotes Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Famous CBB Quotes Thread

Post by Khemehekis »

Salmoneus wrote: 22 Jun 2022 18:43 [hence why 99.999% of classical musicians are in 'cover bands' by pop standards; of course, so are most pop musicians, they just hush up the name of their songwriter and hope people will assume they wrote it]
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

kiwikami wrote: 30 Jun 2022 21:59 The actual semantic roles of those arguments depend on:
 - Whether the verb agrees for one or two arguments (i.e. is "intransitive" or "transitive")
 - Whether the verb is volitional or non-volitional
 - Whether the verb has an incorporated axis marker
 - Whether I've had coffee this morning
 - Probably the number of times a butterfly in Thailand flapped its wings last Tuesday
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Salmoneus wrote: 07 Jul 2022 01:16 The main difference historically is that agriculturalists are violent, whereas pastoralists are psychopaths.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Salmoneus wrote: 03 Aug 2022 18:14 The wikipedia page explicitly uses "symmetrical voice" as a synonym for "Austronesian alignment, the Philippine-type voice system or the Austronesian focus system".

This is stupid. However, not being a linguist, I don't know whether it's "random wikipedia editor" stupid, or "current linguistic fashion" stupid.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

clawgrip wrote: 01 Jun 2015 12:47 It's like worrying that you may stabbed to death by Tina Turner. Not impossible, but not worth wasting time thinking about it.
♂♥♂♀

Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

Khemehekis wrote: 03 May 2023 21:33 If Martin Luther King, Jr. were a conlanger, he might've said something like this:
"If a man is called to be a street sweeper. He should sweep streets even as Man in Space drew Caber logographs, or Khemehekis created new Kankonian words, or Micamo wrote stories in xys conworld, or Reyzadren translated books into griuskant, or Kiwikami worked quantum complexity into Ala'l,or Janko Gorenc collected numbers. He should sweep streets so well that all hosts of heaven and earth pause to say; Here lives a great sweeper who did his job well."
I'm flattered to be in your memory, but I don't think people know me or my conlang, let alone that I do conlang books.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Reyzadren wrote: 08 May 2023 00:32 I'm flattered to be in your memory, but I don't think people know me or my conlang, let alone that I do conlang books.
Why not? You talk about your books on this board a lot (including in the miscellaneous fun facts about your conlang thread), so I'm sure the regulars here have seen you discussing your conlang.

Maybe a lot of people here just aren't interested in Griuskant because its grammar is so simple!
♂♥♂♀

Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Khemehekis wrote: 10 May 2023 03:12
Reyzadren wrote: 08 May 2023 00:32 I'm flattered to be in your memory, but I don't think people know me or my conlang, let alone that I do conlang books.
Why not? You talk about your books on this board a lot (including in the miscellaneous fun facts about your conlang thread), so I'm sure the regulars here have seen you discussing your conlang.

Maybe a lot of people here just aren't interested in Griuskant because its grammar is so simple!
I am aware of it, and I admire the work and work ethic thereof. I just don’t feel like I have much to offer and I don’t want to just spam the board with one-word posts like “Cool!” or “Neat”.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

Khemehekis wrote: 10 May 2023 03:12Why not? You talk about your books on this board a lot (including in the miscellaneous fun facts about your conlang thread), so I'm sure the regulars here have seen you discussing your conlang.

Yes, but they are mainly in my conlang thread, so unless one goes there, one would not know about it.
One indicator that I use to sense how well-known someone or something is is by seeing how often the person or the conlang is mentioned here and/or on other sites.
Man in Space wrote: 10 May 2023 06:59 I am aware of it, and I admire the work and work ethic thereof. I just don’t feel like I have much to offer and I don’t want to just spam the board with one-word posts like “Cool!” or “Neat”.
Yea, after reading most conlang threads, I usually don't reply because I know I'm not qualified enough to add in-depth linguistic feedback.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Thrice Xandvii wrote: 30 Jan 2016 12:18 Love your world and write about it well, and undoubtedly, some of us will love it too. (Maybe not everyone, but someone sure as hell will. I mean, there's a niche for people who like to read about alternate reality zombie versions of classical literature, that's pretty niche and yet there's a market and an audience for that.)
♂♥♂♀

Visions1
sinic
sinic

Post by Visions1 »

Khemehekis wrote: 08 Jul 2022 14:06
Salmoneus wrote: 07 Jul 2022 01:16 The main difference historically is that agriculturalists are violent, whereas pastoralists are psychopaths.
Although I haven't been on here in years, I actually quote this to people.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Visions1 wrote: 26 Jul 2023 09:13
Khemehekis wrote: 08 Jul 2022 14:06
Although I haven't been on here in years, I actually quote this to people.
[+1]

This is one of my favorite quotes, especially because out of context it's absolutely unintelligible.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Ruykkarraber languages, Izre, Ngama, Areyaxi languages, ???, 2c2ef0
my garbage

she/her
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Salmoneus wrote: 28 May 2020 01:10 You can solve the problem through a practical method, without any equations. All you have to do is, if necessary, go back in time [...] and, as you put more weight on the pallet, keep flicking the wire with something to make it go 'twang' slightly. Observe how high-pitched the 'twang' is just before the wire snaps.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Oh, also:
Üdj wrote: 31 Aug 2023 20:11
prettydragoon wrote: 30 Aug 2023 20:15
Üdj wrote: 29 Aug 2023 23:52 Sorry! So, it seems your certain self is somehow similar to sir Eldin's (sarcasmless) statement? Sadly, something like this stumps me superbly.
Think nothing on't! Truth be told, from time to time my thoughts turn to trawling the thesaurus for trite truisms and other trivial turns of phrase.
Verily, you have a very vast and varied vocabulary. Very many of your volley of vivid phrases vigorously vaulted over my head.

I give you the vital victory in the contest of alliteration, for your valor, verve, and vivacious verbiage.
The whole alliteration contest probably deserves a place here, of course.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

my garbage

she/her
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 24 Sep 2023 03:08it's just /ɢ͡|͜χ’ɑt͡ɬa/
eep quadruple post

my garbage

she/her
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

lurker wrote: 19 Dec 2023 23:51 Young branches are distributed to the faithful during the liturgy celebrating the kindling of the Fire of Understanding.
They're supposed to serve as a reminder of the yinrih's origins,
but they're as often as not wielded by pups as instruments of annoyance against their litter mates.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Arayaz wrote: 31 Dec 2023 02:25 Also, there's no such thing as one language being "better" than another... arguing that one's language is better, more simple, easier to learn, a better language for everyone to speak, etc., all claims I've heard before, is egocentrism. You'd make a good auxlanger.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Visions1 wrote: 01 Jan 2024 06:06 Ah yes, the chidí naaʼnaʼí beeʼeldǫǫh bikááʼ dah naaznilígíí language. Very compact. No borrowing. Very pure. Without 25 homonyms for the word Shí. Always putting women first (in the sentence) and also ensuring only the men get frontrow seats to the verb.
No extra tones. No unrepresentative historical spelling - logographic or alphabetic. No dialects. No colonial spread. No nothing. Just straight, pure, sweet Diné bizaad.
I swear the only thing that would make it better would be a Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics writing system (no, not the good one, the stupid one) and maybe a few more kids speaking it. But unfortunately, only the good L-rd is perfect.
I truly think this should be the next Esperanto/Volapuk/Lojban/Ithkuil/English. Very easy to use!
♂♥♂♀

Visions1
sinic
sinic

Post by Visions1 »

Someone up there heard me.

This is a dream come true.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 06 Jan 2024 01:45 And also I decided on the Vissard currency, which is the penis
sorry, I'm having an immature moment here

my garbage

she/her