Introduction thread(s)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Mind-Like-A-Sieve
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: Introduction thread(s)

Post by Mind-Like-A-Sieve »

Hello, I'm Mind-Like-A-Sieve. Though I have been dabbling with many conworlders for years now, I am still just a beginner myself. I've have been for many years a fan of history, anthropology and -partially- linguistics. I came here to exchange ideas and find inspiration in other people's creations, like anyone else here does I'm sure.
Last edited by Mind-Like-A-Sieve on 23 Jan 2022 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
Unassuming user. Native :esp: speaker from :agn:, advanced :eng: speaker.

"Seems to me that you need either a bigger sword, or a smaller opponent."
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the board!
aliencadaver
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by aliencadaver »

Hi, I'm Aliencadaver (or AC, or just Z)! At the moment I've got one conculture for a region known in-universe as the Opaline City, which serves as a major setting for the story and characters that I'm developing and hope to someday turn into either a comic or a novel with illustrations. I also have the beginnings of a conlang for the Opaline City region, known as the Flowering Speech. All are still in need of heavy development, and I also need to start building the other cultures of this setting in earnest. I'm heavily invested in worldbuilding partly because I love to do it, and partly because I feel that well-built worlds lend themselves to better characterization and better plots. (You may see me use 'Tauhrelian' to refer to things from my world/the world itself, and even that's just a placeholder derived from the main character's family name, Tauhrelil.)

Anyway, I'm here because I feel like it's a good place to learn a lot, and I also think it's cool to see the work others are doing! Other than conworlding and conlanging, some of my interests include art and writing, occasional woodworking, and playing the same two video games over and over*. I love fantasy, horror, and sci-fi media (though I strongly prefer soft/social sci-fi and science fantasy to hard sci-fi).

*Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas.
*:・゚✧*:・゚✧ Image Image have you read something weird today? Image Image ✧・゚: *✧・゚:*
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

aliencadaver wrote: 23 Jan 2022 23:45 Hi, I'm Aliencadaver (or AC, or just Z)! At the moment I've got one conculture for a region known in-universe as the Opaline City, which serves as a major setting for the story and characters that I'm developing and hope to someday turn into either a comic or a novel with illustrations. I also have the beginnings of a conlang for the Opaline City region, known as the Flowering Speech. All are still in need of heavy development, and I also need to start building the other cultures of this setting in earnest. I'm heavily invested in worldbuilding partly because I love to do it, and partly because I feel that well-built worlds lend themselves to better characterization and better plots. (You may see me use 'Tauhrelian' to refer to things from my world/the world itself, and even that's just a placeholder derived from the main character's family name, Tauhrelil.)

Anyway, I'm here because I feel like it's a good place to learn a lot, and I also think it's cool to see the work others are doing! Other than conworlding and conlanging, some of my interests include art and writing, occasional woodworking, and playing the same two video games over and over*. I love fantasy, horror, and sci-fi media (though I strongly prefer soft/social sci-fi and science fantasy to hard sci-fi).

*Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas.
Welcome to the CBB!
Nel Fie
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Nel Fie »

So, on the web, I'm Nel Fie. That's the name, right there.
I took an interest in conlanging about a year ago, and dove deep into learning more about it around November last year (2021), reading and consuming as many free resources as I could find (not limited to but including binging almost the entirety of the Conlangery podcast). I'm entering the field from the artistic frontier rather than the linguistic side - I draw, paint, write stories, poetry, play instruments and make music as well as bunch of other things.
At time of writing, I have two ongoing conlang projects, though both still very much in the starting boxes insofar that I'm still figuring out the phonology.

That aside, I'm a native speaker of (A) swabian/swabianized german (B) belgianized french (C) fluent in english (having learned most of it through british TV and the internet), and have (D) an early-beginner understanding of russian (self-taught).

For the time being, I'll probably stick to asking a lot of "stupid" questions to fill gaps in my currently very limited knowledge in all matters conlanging and linguistics, and perhaps help out over at the german and french learning threads, if need be.
:deu: Native (Swabian) | :fra: Native (Belgian) | :eng: Fluent | :rus: Beginner
DeviantArt | YouTube | Tumblr
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the board!
Nel Fie
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Nel Fie »

Thank you! I appreciate the greeting.
:deu: Native (Swabian) | :fra: Native (Belgian) | :eng: Fluent | :rus: Beginner
DeviantArt | YouTube | Tumblr
pachelbel
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by pachelbel »

Hi, all. I'm pachelbel, they/them, amateur worldbuilder and conlanger since c.a. 2015. I came here from the CWS discord.
Most of my langs are set in my main universe, 35000 years in a future where genetically modified humans have terraformed and colonized thousands of Earthlike and super-Earth planets across the Milky Way galaxy:
[*] Standard Bodin/Carebin, Moshrang, and Parinawun, spoken on the planet Boden orbiting the red giant Clespix. All are VSO, direct alignment, & synthetic and have an imperative pronoun distinct from the normal 2 pronoun
[*] Aeolian, spoken on the planet Aeolia/Ajoljy by bat-winged people. OSV, tripartite, extremely fusional, no nasals or labials, revered/neutral/profane noun classes, no voiced/unvoiced distinction
[*] Alsoran Common/Thos·ii, interplanetary trade language of the Alsora area of space. Free word order, fluid-S alignment, isolating, uses the interpunct to mark syllable boundaries
A couple others are spoken by societies of the Cave Angels, humanoid aliens with very unhumanoid vocal tracts and a gender-quaternary based on termites, on a tidally locked exoplanet:
[*] CVA (placeholder name) - ergative, VOS/VP word order, negatives and questions are expressed as OVS/PV, many clicks
[*] iuthJhili! - consonantal roots, lot of syllabic consonants, noun incorporation
And lastly, spoken/signed by a colony of sapient cats (yes I was a warrior cats kid) living in and around a Greek ruin based on Ephesus:
[*] Ruins Cats' language - combination signed and spoken (meowed?) language, topic-comment structure, extremely messy romanization because I can't come up with a good way to denote sounds and motions simultaneously
Edit: No idea why the bullet points aren't working.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the board, pachelbel!

Regarding the bullet points, I think they have to be formatted as part of a "list". So, [*] by itself doesn't do anything special, but when "surrounded" by [ list ] and [ /list ] (without the extra spaces that I've put), it comes out looking more like:
  • This.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Welcome, Pachelbel!

I'm guessing by your choice of screenname that you are a classical music aficionado? If so, you might want to talk about classical music with Salmoneus (an MVP!) and KaiTheHomoSapien on this board.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
pachelbel
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by pachelbel »

Thanks for the welcome, both of you!
  • And I'll keep that in mind re: bullet points.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Welcome, Pachelbel!
Emanresu
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Emanresu »

Hello everyone, I am new here!

I am a 21 year old from Germany, currently working on my dual degree in linguistics and computational linguistics.
I have been conlanging and worldbuilding since I was in my early teens, and it is the reason why I started pursuing my degree in the first place. Reading about syntax and morphology, phonetics and phonology and various other linguistic disciplines and enjoying (and understanding) what I found, convinced me that it was something that I would love doing for a living. :)

I speak German natively, English fluently (have been learning since early childhood as per our school system), have dabbled in Latin and Spanish in school, Turkish, Kurmancî and Esperanto privately, but I also speak Toki Pona almost fluently.

As for why I am here as compared to the many communities on Reddit and Discord et al; I prefer forums to social media, don't use Discord and enjoy long-form posting. To that end, I have also been active in the indie web/retro web revival movements. :)
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the CBB, Emanresu!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Has anyone else read Emanresu’s username in Sdrawkcab Hsilgne?
criminalmammal
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by criminalmammal »

Hey everyone. My account on the old ZBB dates back to 2014, so I'm sure I made one here too before at some point, though it's now long since lost to time and memory, so I guess I'm a "long-time lurker, first-time poster"? : p

Either way – hi, I'm Salem. I'm a twenty-two year old American of ambiguous gender and species; they and he pronouns are fine! I am a native English speaker, fairly lousy at Spanish, and interested in learning Polish, French, Putonghua, and ASL to varying degrees. I've been into linguistics and conlanging for over half my life at this point, with especial interests in phonology, sound change, etymology, and toponymy. I also really enjoy geopolitical worldbuilding and fictional and allohistorical cartography, largely as a means to put conlangs places and invent toponyms but also for the sake of making aesthetically interesting maps. My other interests include, uh, being a big furry, and being bad at video games, and watching overlong video essays...
Last edited by criminalmammal on 06 Jul 2023 08:29, edited 5 times in total.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome, criminalmammal!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Nice to meet you, Salem! We have a number of other non-binary posters here, although I don't think I've met an otherkin here before. Not sure if we have any other Furries.
criminalmammal wrote: 06 Jan 2023 15:33
  • Qhotbais, an experiment in word order and allophony with forty-nine consonants
  • Nkilaba, which is sort of fusional and has a bunch of prenasalized stops
  • Hoogish, an Anglofrisian language and my first baby step into proper diachronic conlanging
  • something currently unnamed with no consonant-vowel distinction
What a fascinating medley of conlangs you've got under your belt! How much do you know about Frisian? And is the conlang with no consonant-vowel distinction an alien language (exolang), or just an experimental engelang?

If you like watching "overlong video essays", I have an hour-long video on my YouTube channel from Election Day debunking 10 flawed arguments against lowering the voting age.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
criminalmammal
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by criminalmammal »

Khemehekis wrote: 17 Jan 2023 03:19 Nice to meet you, Salem! We have a number of other non-binary posters here, although I don't think I've met an otherkin here before. Not sure if we have any other Furries.
Likewise : )
What a fascinating medley of conlangs you've got under your belt! How much do you know about Frisian?
Well thank you! I don't know nearly as much about Frisian as I'd like, unfortunately, but I'm terribly charmed by what I've seen, and by the historical irony that hegemonic world language English's closest relatives on the continent are this collection of little-spoken dialects clustered around the coast of the North Sea... Heagish (so named after the Chauci, who in real life assimilated into the Saxons but here stuck around as a distinct people, though where exactly I'm not sure) is meant to be sort of in the same spirit, though distinct from any of the Frisian languages and generally a bit weirder.
And is the conlang with no consonant-vowel distinction an alien language (exolang), or just an experimental engelang?
Just an engelang for the time being, since despite the main conceit it's still very human-speakable.
If you like watching "overlong video essays", I have an hour-long video on my YouTube channel from Election Day debunking 10 flawed arguments against lowering the voting age.
Thanks, I'll check it out!
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

Hello, there is indeed at least one otherkin here [:D] I must have missed your intro earlier, so glad to welcome you to the board, criminalmammal!