Introduction thread(s)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Re: Introduction thread(s)

Post by shimobaatar »

Snyexarosha wrote: 07 Mar 2021 23:00 Ooh I just found the introduction thread! I'm Rosha; I'm a linguist by trade and have been conlanging and worldbuilding since I was a child. (Although "conlanging" is a strong word for what I was doing back then...I feel like I only really got the hang of it several years ago, and of course still have a lot to learn.) Recently I've decided to get more serious about it (in that I decided I want to actually FINISH at least one project I've started), so hopefully you guys can keep me on the right track! I am currently turning two major worldbuilding projects through my mind and am actively working on one of those.
Welcome to the board!
Park Bom
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Park Bom »

Hallo, alle zusammen.
Mein Name ist Vee und ich komme aus Deutschland.
der erste Berührungspunkt mit Fremdsprachen, begann wie bestimmt bei vielen anderen auch in der Schule mit Englisch.
Irgendwann später in meinem Leben fing das Interesse für Japan an und später auch für Korea, Vietnam, Indonesien, China usw.
Ich habe mir fast jede Sprache angehört^^ aber sprechen tu ich nur Englisch einigermaßen gut.

Mein Interesse an Sprachen, änderte sich durch Tolkien, mit seinem Elbisch oder Dothrakisch aus Game of Thrones.
Ich interessierte mich mehr für fiktive Sprachen und irgendwann lernte ich auch Esperanto kennen.
Ich mochte diese Sprache irgendwie noch nie, ich weiß auch nicht genau was. Ihr Aufbau, die Aussprache oder sonst was.
Irgendwann dachte ich mir "das schaffe ich doch besser^^" und fing selber an eine Sprache zu entwickeln.
Ende April hatte Solenja die 1.000 Wörter erreicht und werde noch weiter daran arbeiten.

Bei Interesse würde ich gerne die Sprachen mit anderen Menschen teilen.

alles liebe :)
---------------------

Hello everyone. my english is not the best...
My name is Vee and I come from Germany.
the first point of contact with foreign languages ​​began, like many others, in school with English.
Sometime later in my life I started to be interested in Japan and later in Korea, Vietnam, Indonesia, China, etc.
I've listened to almost every language ^^ but my English is okay

My interest in languages ​​changed with Tolkien, with his Elvish or Dothraki from Game of Thrones.
I was more interested in fictional languages ​​and at some point I also got to know Esperanto.
Somehow I've never liked this language, and I don't know exactly what. The structure, the pronunciation or whatever.
At some point I thought "I can do it better ^^" and started to develop a language myself.
At the end of April, Solenja had reached 1,000 words and will continue to work on it.

If you are interested, I would like to share the languages ​​with other people.

all the best :)
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Welcome, Park Bom (Vee)!
We’d all like to see.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Park Bom wrote: 05 May 2021 00:31 Hallo, alle zusammen.
[…]
---------------------

Hello everyone. my english is not the best...
[…]
Welcome to the CBB! Your English is far better than my German, so I won't attempt a bilingual greeting myself, but I know we have at least a few other German speakers here on the board. [:)]
Marduk
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Marduk »

Marduk here.

I am a guerrilla conlang. I like to experiment with creating languages in ways others have not thought of. I have my own system and tools I created for making languages. I have a passion for ancient languages and sometimes incorporate that into my language creation.
I finally decided to join a community to see how others do things. Its good to see so many people interested.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Marduk wrote: 23 May 2021 00:34 .... I have my own system and tools I created for making languages. ....
Would you care to describe some of those tools and systems on some thread in some subforum of this bboard?
And, would you be willing to let other people use them?
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the board, Marduk!
Tsugar
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Tsugar »

Hi, everyone.
I am a 4/5year in college, linguistics minor, EE major and have been lurking here for some years. In terms of conlangs, I am interested in creoles and state-auxlangs
I hope I can have productive conversations on here!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the CBB, Tsugar!
BarnacleHeretic
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by BarnacleHeretic »

Salam! My name is Soraya. I'm an aspiring novelist (recently finished the first draft of my first novel), and I've been obsessed with worldbuilding my whole life. As a kid I mostly was into speculative evolution (Dougal Dixon was my everything), although I also dabbled in creating fonts/made up scripts. When I was ten I read Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind and it changed my life, from then on I became more focused on inventing cultures, religions, stories, and characters. I have also always been a lover of food and travel, and am an experienced cook, so making up fictional recipes/food cultures is a big part of what I do.

I have dozens of side projects, but my two main projects combine all of these interests in different ways. For now I'll probably mostly post about Remix Earth (working title). Remix Earth started as a playground in which to invent made up recipes and the cultures that surrounded them, but over the past eight or so years has become a lot more than that. It has no "fantasy" or "sci-fi" elements, being instead merely an exercise in imagining fictional cultures, religions, and civilizations composed of elements found in our world. The world has a natural history only slightly divergent from ours, so you'll find species that closely resemble extant or recently extinct species.

My other primary project, Glossolalia, is a post-post-apocalyptic sci-fi story set in a fictional world with dream-like elements that may or may not be magical in nature. It draws influence primarily from classic sci-fi manga like Nausicaä and Akira, Hong Kong Triad films and Japanese Yakuza films, and Nigerian literature like The Palm Wine Drinkard and The Famished Road.

Conlanging has become a big part of both projects, and my relatively lack of expertise in the subject is what led me to this forum. I hope to get advice and feedback on my conlanging projects, and to eventually become knowledgeable enough to help others!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome to the board, BarnacleHeretic!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

BarnacleHeretic wrote: 18 Oct 2021 02:12 Conlanging has become a big part of both projects, and my relatively lack of expertise in the subject is what led me to this forum. I hope to get advice and feedback on my conlanging projects, and to eventually become knowledgeable enough to help others!
Hopefully you won't skimp on the worldbuilding posts here, either! Your descriptions sound delicious!
BarnacleHeretic
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by BarnacleHeretic »

elemtilas wrote: 18 Oct 2021 03:56 Hopefully you won't skimp on the worldbuilding posts here, either! Your descriptions sound delicious!
I plan to eventually post some sketches of some of my conlangs, once some early drafts are ready to be shared, I'll make sure and write about the cultures they are from as well! And the food, of course.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

BarnacleHeretic wrote: 18 Oct 2021 04:15
elemtilas wrote: 18 Oct 2021 03:56 Hopefully you won't skimp on the worldbuilding posts here, either! Your descriptions sound delicious!
I plan to eventually post some sketches of some of my conlangs, once some early drafts are ready to be shared, I'll make sure and write about the cultures they are from as well! And the food, of course.
Bring on the cookery! We'll have us a feast!
butch-hyena
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by butch-hyena »

hello~ well i'm hyena (*ẋaena /xaɛna/ in kẃrakán), i've been conlanging since 2013 although even as a kid i was designing alphabets and cyphers for my little fantasy projects. i'm a woman, i'm 28, and i'm married. kẃrakán is 8 years old, with 2000 lexicon entries. i'll post about it after i lurk a bit more. (the TL;DR is that its VSO-default, head-initial, synthetic, with postpositions and initial mutations). i've got other languages, most of them fit into a conworld that i've had going since, again, 2013 - i might post about that too.

i'm very much an artlanger, natlanger, and worldbuilder though i have a lotta respect for a posteriori and auxlangers. besides all that i'm a fair cook, when i work - i do manual labor, i'm a multidisciplinary artist, and i've been around the block once or twice. i heard about this place through the grapevine, i'm happy to be here, and real chuffed to see a conlanging space that's been active for a more than a decade! i haven't been on a forum since i was a kid so this will be fun i think lol

*argh! those x's are supposed to be uvular fricatives! i can't get the greek chi to display. if someone could clue me in on how to use the bbcode for that i'd appreciate it xP
Spoiler:
kath! tí! tav! - éχev vísthe brý a tó - é amrýnth ẃlwa khínan vn χaran
Flavia
sinic
sinic

Post by Flavia »

You unfortunately can't write greek chi on this board. You can use X or
Spoiler:
ӽ
for the voiceless uvular fricative.
---
What do you mean by "natlanger"?
XIPA
:pol: > :eng: > :esp: > :lat: > :fra: > :por: > :deu:
Abaniscen cancasirnemor
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

butch-hyena wrote: 18 Dec 2021 06:49 hello~
Welcome to the board!

butch-hyena wrote: 18 Dec 2021 06:49 *argh! those x's are supposed to be uvular fricatives! i can't get the greek chi to display. if someone could clue me in on how to use the bbcode for that i'd appreciate it xP
Titus Flavius wrote: 18 Dec 2021 10:15 You unfortunately can't write greek chi on this board. You can use X or
Spoiler:
ӽ
<χ> shows up just fine for me. Well, <χ> and <x> look identical in drafts, but they're clearly distinct on my end in actual posts. I think that whether or not <χ> displays properly has to do with what kind of device and/or which web browser you use to view the board.

In any case, yes, if <χ> and <x> look identical to you everywhere on the board, you're certainly not alone, and I think that a capital <X> will be generally understood as a voiceless uvular fricative. [:)]
Titus Flavius wrote: 18 Dec 2021 10:15 What do you mean by "natlanger"?
I'm curious about this as well.
butch-hyena
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by butch-hyena »

shimobaatar wrote: 18 Dec 2021 14:20
Titus Flavius wrote: 18 Dec 2021 10:15 You unfortunately can't write greek chi on this board. You can use X or
Spoiler:
ӽ
<χ> shows up just fine for me. Well, <χ> and <x> look identical in drafts, but they're clearly distinct on my end in actual posts. I think that whether or not <χ> displays properly has to do with what kind of device and/or which web browser you use to view the board.

In any case, yes, if <χ> and <x> look identical to you everywhere on the board, you're certainly not alone, and I think that a capital <X> will be generally understood as a voiceless uvular fricative. [:)]
aha i see, i'll look into if it's a problem on my end. i did search to see if anyone else had written <χ> and, although search returned no results (too short), the chi did display correctly in the search bar and the "returned 0 results for <χ>" prompt, lol
shimobaatar wrote: 18 Dec 2021 14:20
Titus Flavius wrote: 18 Dec 2021 10:15 What do you mean by "natlanger"?
I'm curious about this as well.
well by natlanger i mostly mean that my primary goal when making languages is to aim for "naturalism", or at least a reasonable approximation of naturalism :) - i've seen the term used to distinguish "naturalistic conlangs" like Sindarin and Dothraki from "auxiliary conlangs" like Esperanto and Interlingua, or "experimental conlangs" like Solresol or what-have-you, etc. like a lot of things concerning language the boundaries are pretty fuzzy but a naturalistic, artistic sort of conlang is what i tend to find myself making. most of my languages serve the purpose of adding depth to my conworld (and vice versa) so its important to me that those languages feel organically developed :)
Spoiler:
kath! tí! tav! - éχev vísthe brý a tó - é amrýnth ẃlwa khínan vn χaran
Lorik
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Lorik »

butch-hyena wrote:
First of all, welcome!
Second, I can see <χ> correctly on my phone, but it looks like <x> on my computer. No idea what's causing that.
Native: :bra: | Fluent: :eng: :fra: | Intermediate: :rus:
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

butch-hyena wrote: 18 Dec 2021 23:07 well by natlanger i mostly mean that my primary goal when making languages is to aim for "naturalism", or at least a reasonable approximation of naturalism :) - i've seen the term used to distinguish "naturalistic conlangs" like Sindarin and Dothraki from "auxiliary conlangs" like Esperanto and Interlingua, or "experimental conlangs" like Solresol or what-have-you, etc. like a lot of things concerning language the boundaries are pretty fuzzy but a naturalistic, artistic sort of conlang is what i tend to find myself making. most of my languages serve the purpose of adding depth to my conworld (and vice versa) so its important to me that those languages feel organically developed :)
Oh, understood! In my experience, a "natlang" refers to a "natural language", the opposite of a "conlang"/"constructed language". I haven't seen the term used for a "naturalistic conlang" before, hence the confusion. I also try to aim for an approximation of naturalism while creating languages, but I'll admit I've never considered what I might consider myself in light of that. I suppose I'd just say "naturalistic conlanger" if I had to keep it concise. Anyway, thank you for the clarification! [:D]