Introduction thread(s)

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Re: Introduction thread(s)

Post by eldin raigmore »

mwchase wrote: 27 Sep 2020 04:49Hi! I'm mwchase.
I've been trying to do stuff with conlanging and worldbuilding for a while. I recently decided to get a little more serious, and as part of that, I'm joining various communities so I'm not working totally in a vacuum.
I've got a few projects I've started and put down, of varying levels of ambition. I'd like to get back to some of the ones with a more restricted scope. I'll try to write up stuff on that within a week or so.
Welcome to the BBoard!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

mwchase wrote: 27 Sep 2020 04:49 Hi!

I'm mwchase. I've been trying to do stuff with conlanging and worldbuilding for a while. I recently decided to get a little more serious, and as part of that, I'm joining various communities so I'm not working totally in a vacuum.

I've got a few projects I've started and put down, of varying levels of ambition. I'd like to get back to some of the ones with a more restricted scope. I'll try to write up stuff on that within a week or so.
Hi! Welcome to the CBB. [:)]
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

mwchase wrote: 27 Sep 2020 04:49 Hi!

I'm mwchase. I've been trying to do stuff with conlanging and worldbuilding for a while. I recently decided to get a little more serious, and as part of that, I'm joining various communities so I'm not working totally in a vacuum.

Welcome! [:D]
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
aliensdrinktea
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by aliensdrinktea »

Hello!

I'm... a novice conlanger, I suppose. I've dabbled in conlanging on and off since high school, though I've got nothing to show for it besides various scrapped attempts. And a linguistics degree. (Conlanging is what sparked my interest in linguistics.)

I've recently jumped back into conlanging. I started working on Yuraalian a few days ago because I needed a naming language for a sci-fi novel, but now that I've rekindled my passion for making languages, I'm actually more enthusiastic about making the language than the novel. Whoops! I'm hoping Yuraalian will be the conlang I finally follow through with, and that I can balance conlanging with NaNoWriMo prep! (NaNoWriMo = National Novel Writing Month = writing 50k words of a novel in November)

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this site! I'm looking forward to being part of this community and learning and developing my conlang. [:D]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I am glad aliens drink tea!
What would they prefer for snacks: pickles or cookies or coffee cake?

More seriously I’m glad we have a new participant with a linguistics degree!
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

aliensdrinktea wrote: 11 Oct 2020 18:27 Hello!

I'm... a novice conlanger, I suppose. I've dabbled in conlanging on and off since high school, though I've got nothing to show for it besides various scrapped attempts. And a linguistics degree. (Conlanging is what sparked my interest in linguistics.)

I've recently jumped back into conlanging. I started working on Yuraalian a few days ago because I needed a naming language for a sci-fi novel, but now that I've rekindled my passion for making languages, I'm actually more enthusiastic about making the language than the novel. Whoops! I'm hoping Yuraalian will be the conlang I finally follow through with, and that I can balance conlanging with NaNoWriMo prep! (NaNoWriMo = National Novel Writing Month = writing 50k words of a novel in November)

Anyway, I'm glad to have found this site! I'm looking forward to being part of this community and learning and developing my conlang. [:D]
Welcome to the board!
Anhaga
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Anhaga »

Hi!

Amateur conlanger her. I just finished my inscription so I thought I'd say hi. I have to say I won't be here 24/7, but I do intend on posting regularly if I can.
I'm currently re-doing my first college year as a Classics student (mainly Latin and Ancient Greek), and hope to be able to help some of you out as much as you can help me. I have to say I'm definitely not the best at creating languages, so please don't judge me too harshly if I make stupid comments sometimes. *heh*
Also, I feel like I should point out: English is not my first language, so pardon my grammar and/or spelling if I get things wrong from time to time.

Hope you guys have a wonderful day!
Acta Deum numquam mortalia fallunt.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Anhaga wrote: 20 Oct 2020 16:16 Hi!

Amateur conlanger her. I just finished my inscription so I thought I'd say hi. I have to say I won't be here 24/7, but I do intend on posting regularly if I can.
I'm currently re-doing my first college year as a Classics student (mainly Latin and Ancient Greek), and hope to be able to help some of you out as much as you can help me. I have to say I'm definitely not the best at creating languages, so please don't judge me too harshly if I make stupid comments sometimes. *heh*
Also, I feel like I should point out: English is not my first language, so pardon my grammar and/or spelling if I get things wrong from time to time.

Hope you guys have a wonderful day!
Welcome to the CBB!

What do you mean by "inscription", if I might ask?
Anhaga
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Anhaga »

shimobaatar wrote: 20 Oct 2020 16:36Welcome to the CBB!

Ah, crap. I meant "I just finished registering". I'll still leave my post as it is, though.

Anyway, thanks for your message !
Acta Deum numquam mortalia fallunt.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Anhaga wrote: 20 Oct 2020 17:03
shimobaatar wrote: 20 Oct 2020 16:36Welcome to the CBB!

Ah, crap. I meant "I just finished registering". I'll still leave my post as it is, though.

Anyway, thanks for your message !
Oh, no worries! Thanks for the clarification. [:D]
HopeCPressF
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by HopeCPressF »

Hello everyone! My name's Hope C, and I'm an amateur writer (currently editing my first proper novel) and avid worldbuilder. I'm a bit of a conlanger, but it's not my forte.

I'm 22 and live in Perth, Western Australia, and I grew up in servers like these - for different things, like Zoo Tycoon and Impossible Creatures, but I'm genuinely really happy places like this still exist.

Looking forward to meeting you folks! I have a bit about my setting Einea in the con-culture place.
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

HopeCPressF wrote: 28 Dec 2020 23:47 Hello everyone! My name's Hope C, and I'm an amateur writer (currently editing my first proper novel) and avid worldbuilder. I'm a bit of a conlanger, but it's not my forte.

I'm 22 and live in Perth, Western Australia, and I grew up in servers like these - for different things, like Zoo Tycoon and Impossible Creatures, but I'm genuinely really happy places like this still exist.

Looking forward to meeting you folks! I have a bit about my setting Einea in the con-culture place.
Welcome to the CBB!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

HopeCPressF wrote: 28 Dec 2020 23:47 Hello everyone! My name's Hope C, and I'm an amateur writer (currently editing my first proper novel) and avid worldbuilder. I'm a bit of a conlanger, but it's not my forte.

I think I’d like to be 22 and live in Perth.
Torco
sinic
sinic

Post by Torco »

same tbh xD

welcome to the board. I'm also more of a worldbuilder than a conlanger, even though I got into langing first. do make a post about einea if you haven't [:D]
dendana
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by dendana »

Hi, it's dendana (he/him) here, just wanted to re-introduce myself. My handle on here several years ago was smappy, and I completely forget what email I used for that account...

I've been fairly active on CWS and Sahar in the past so you may know me from there, or from the CBB Discord server, which I was also on for a while. Or from other conlang spaces I've drifted around.

I'm from the West Coast of the USA and do data science and coding. I also really like cooking and spicy food.

I tend to be really into morphology/morphophonology, language typology and weird ways to handle argument marking and TAM. Also the whole culture-in-language thing. Don't like word-making as much. I make all my languages ones I can pronounce. Dabble in worldbuilding and, very occasionally, writing.

My personal conworld is called Aay, and I kind of forked a bunch of my Sahar work and stuck it on Aay along with some new languages and cultures.

My languages include:
  • Wa Ñi - analytic, two-tone, noun classes, split-ergative. Accidentally ended up as the proto of the Ngerupic/Ngupic languages which exist on Sahar and Aay - you may see other Ngerupic languages by other folks
  • WWM - synthetic, Australian-ish phonology, elevation marking, lots of words for tea. Daughter of Wa Ñi. Sahar + Aay
  • Standard Kwang - analytic, Burmese-ish phono, marking possession is very complex. Rendaku-ish on suffixes. Descended from Wa Ñi. Sahar only, transferred ownership
  • Amaian - vaguely Eurasian, head-final, extreme vowel/consonant harmony, lots of declension classes. A Sahar and Aay language
  • Macro-Tru'un - actually a pair of very distantly related protos which converged typologically. Laminal/apical distinction, complex nuclei, fusional subject+TAM proclitics, object/oblique backgrounding/foregrounding. Aay only
  • Kaxangulá - pretty synthetic, heavy usage of 'engagement' - i.e. marking whether the speaker and audience know about events. Aay only
  • Andita-Varichu - I did the proto and the Varichu branch for a CWS reconstruction event. Complex/irregular morphology but not very synthetic. Varichu is an Aay thing
  • a ton of others that I neglect including Dapeleba (very, very ergative), Proto-C'iwe (clicks, bizarre distributed marking of arguments), misc. speedlangs for language problems
Anyway, nice to meet/re-meet/see you all! [:D]
shimobaatar
korean
korean

Post by shimobaatar »

Welcome (back) to the board!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Welcome, dendana!
dendana wrote: 17 Feb 2021 02:01 heavy usage of 'engagement' - i.e. marking whether the speaker and audience know about events.
I like the idea of engagement. Was this your original idea? I like it when conlangs introduce new concepts that haven't been done in natlangs.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
dendana
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by dendana »

Thanks - no, this is not my idea and it's actually found in some natlangs! Two examples are Andoke (isolate, Colombia) and Kogi (Chibchan, Colombia). Here are a couple links to papers which explain more about it.
Snyexarosha
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Snyexarosha »

Ooh I just found the introduction thread! I'm Rosha; I'm a linguist by trade and have been conlanging and worldbuilding since I was a child. (Although "conlanging" is a strong word for what I was doing back then...I feel like I only really got the hang of it several years ago, and of course still have a lot to learn.) Recently I've decided to get more serious about it (in that I decided I want to actually FINISH at least one project I've started), so hopefully you guys can keep me on the right track! I am currently turning two major worldbuilding projects through my mind and am actively working on one of those.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Welcome, Snyexarosha!
dendana wrote: 18 Feb 2021 22:18 Thanks - no, this is not my idea and it's actually found in some natlangs! Two examples are Andoke (isolate, Colombia) and Kogi (Chibchan, Colombia). Here are a couple links to papers which explain more about it.
Oh, cool! I'll have to check those out!
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!