Weird Dream Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: Weird Dream Thread

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 18 Oct 2020 00:36
That sounds lovely! Unfortunately, I never dream that I'm actually stepping into the Lehola Galaxy.
It is lovely indeed!

The way I see it, there are three types of dreams.
The Landau Sieve of Dreams.

Interactive // Introverted // Cinematic

I'd hazard the guesstimate that most if not all of my dreams are interactive to a greater or lesser degree. Even those where something like song writing or story telling is involved. I think I'd class your introverted among what I'm calling dream journeys, with the difference that they are also interactive.

Cinematic, yes, I have those dreams, too. I would say that a large number of mine are not just of external focus, but also of an actual cinematic nature: movies. Usually involving the Star Trek universe as a setting (sometimes with Star Wars elements). As a matter of fact, I watched a ST movie the other night (while dreaming, of course!). As is often the case, the Federation has just been invaded by some kind strange new alien du jour that is threatening to enslave the galaxy and only the crew of the Enterprise can save the day. Usually because they're the only ship in the quadrant. These were some kind of trans-spatio-temporal people who were able to attack and subdue everyone through some kind of space-time tunnelling technology through which they could connect themselves to a victim and cause them to alter their behaviour. They weren't Borg, or Swedish, but they were a kind of dull glasy green and had no apparent eyes or facial features, at least on their exteriors. Needless to say, the usual heroes (Picard, Data, and company) were able to discover a way to subvert the aliens' mode of transport, and indeed their very existence, by attuning the warp fields generated by the ship to sever their connexions with crew members, and even to kill them or cause them to fully align with the current trouser leg of time's spatio-temporal wossname. They could then study the aliens and determine how best to eradicate them, by turning the warp fields into a weapon that can reach into their domain of S-T and seal off the connexion. There were several scenes involving some serious floppy disk swapping down in the Enterprise's main computer centre. It's no easy task unmounting hundreds of eight inch disks and reinserting them sideways again, even with the disk extraction/reinsertion jig!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 20 Oct 2020 20:45
The way I see it, there are three types of dreams.
The Landau Sieve of Dreams.

Interactive // Introverted // Cinematic

I'd hazard the guesstimate that most if not all of my dreams are interactive to a greater or lesser degree. Even those where something like song writing or story telling is involved. I think I'd class your introverted among what I'm calling dream journeys, with the difference that they are also interactive.
Question: Do you ever have introverted dreams?
Cinematic, yes, I have those dreams, too. I would say that a large number of mine are not just of external focus, but also of an actual cinematic nature: movies. Usually involving the Star Trek universe as a setting (sometimes with Star Wars elements). As a matter of fact, I watched a ST movie the other night (while dreaming, of course!). As is often the case, the Federation has just been invaded by some kind strange new alien du jour that is threatening to enslave the galaxy and only the crew of the Enterprise can save the day. Usually because they're the only ship in the quadrant. These were some kind of trans-spatio-temporal people who were able to attack and subdue everyone through some kind of space-time tunnelling technology through which they could connect themselves to a victim and cause them to alter their behaviour. They weren't Borg, or Swedish, but they were a kind of dull glasy green and had no apparent eyes or facial features, at least on their exteriors. Needless to say, the usual heroes (Picard, Data, and company) were able to discover a way to subvert the aliens' mode of transport, and indeed their very existence, by attuning the warp fields generated by the ship to sever their connexions with crew members, and even to kill them or cause them to fully align with the current trouser leg of time's spatio-temporal wossname. They could then study the aliens and determine how best to eradicate them, by turning the warp fields into a weapon that can reach into their domain of S-T and seal off the connexion. There were several scenes involving some serious floppy disk swapping down in the Enterprise's main computer centre. It's no easy task unmounting hundreds of eight inch disks and reinserting them sideways again, even with the disk extraction/reinsertion jig!
[O.O]

Last night, I had an interactive kind-of-dream-journey.

I was listening to a tape about real interactions with UFO's and aliens. Except this was a projecting audiotape (projectape?) that projected pictures outside and onto other rooms in the house. It was a two-side tape, with special music playing when one side began and the other side ended, and I kept turning it back to the start, because, when they were discussing sightinngs of tan aliens who teach people about love and kindness, two tan aliens were for a brief moment projected outside, and I wanted to show these aliens to somebody else in the house.

Were these aliens the Tans?, I asked myself. (The Tans are actually the name of a supposedly real alien species.) These tan aliens seemed to have fancy, sieve-like/basket-like hats on, and I wanted to get a closer look at them.

Then I saw them. Two aliens, with tan skin and furry brown fur at the backs and hair on their heads. I noticed the many limbs in front of them -- I counted and discovered they had eight feet/hands, like an upright caterpillar. These small brown hands were being held together in front of the aliens -- for a brief second, it looked as if they had three hands at each level, instead of two. These tan fur-caterpillars, something like Furbys or Ewoks, walked folksily across, over the trails outside. Then I woke up.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I just woke from a dream in which I was trying to sing the Thomas Moore poem that ends up
... the heart, that has truly lov'd, never forgets,
But as truly loves on to the close;
As the sun-flower turns on her god, when he sets,
The same look which she turn'd when he rose!
Simultaneously I was trying to tell to my audience (my daughter? maybe?) the story of the song, which my own father told me many years ago.
In the dream I could neither sing nor narrate because of weeping; as we used to say “I had a frog in my throat.”.
When I woke I had tears in my eyes for real, but my inability to sing was due to lack of talent rather than being “all choked up”.

The thing is; although my father was himself a very emotional man, and had tears in his eyes when singing this song or telling Moore’s story, he was articulate to the last and well able to finish the song. (And to tell the story better than any I’ve found online!)
And I am not known for having tears come to my eyes from music or stories!

But in several dreams in the past two or so weeks I’ve dreamt that that did indeed happen to me.
I must be half-awake when the dreams start, because I dream I’m lying in bed and suddenly start singing something.

If there’s a consistent cause I don’t know what it is!
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 24 Oct 2020 08:26
No.
The second type are introverted dreams. In introverted dreams, you walk along a landscape or inside a building, or possibly even stay in bed, but despite the scenic nature of your setting, what you see around you is not where the action is. Rather, you are thinking about something, and thinking intently of it. You could write a new song while pacing in an old museum, put together a political idea, or even let a new scientific theory crystallize in your mind! You might even come up with conworlding ideas. Although often the ideas you have in dreams turn out to be nonsense once you've woken up and have the perspective of waking consciousness, some thoughts from introverted dreams can give you lasting creative output once you've woken up.
I'd say all the dreams where those kinds of things happen happen within the context of an interactive dream. Writing music or stories or discovering geopoetical ideas and so forth all happen within the context of the other types of dreams for me.
[O.O]
I know, right? You'd think Starfleet could upgrade all those banks of

I was listening to a tape about real interactions with UFO's and aliens. Except this was a projecting audiotape (projectape?) that projected pictures outside and onto other rooms in the house. It was a two-side tape, with special music playing when one side began and the other side ended, and I kept turning it back to the start, because, when they were discussing sightinngs of tan aliens who teach people about love and kindness, two tan aliens were for a brief moment projected outside, and I wanted to show these aliens to somebody else in the house.
What did they have to say? (If you recall!)

Am I misremembering, or are there Tans in the Lehola Galaxy? Perhaps went for a little visit thitherwards after all!
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Khemehekis wrote: The way I see it, there are three types of dreams.

The most common by far are interactive dreams. About 90% of dreams are in the interactive category. In these dreams, you interact with the people, aliens, animals, machines, natural forces, and supernatural beings around you. (All lucid dreams probably fit into this category too.) You speak, listen, fight, embrace, kiss, flee, type, eat, drink, grab, and kill. You might run to escape a cop, or get embarrassed by a family member, or board the back of a pterodactyl to fight a Tyrannosaurus rex! You could even find the love of your life, or imagine eating a delicious place of penne, only to discover your mouth is full of saliva when you wake up! Some say that by speaking with the characters you meet in your interactive dreams after you've woken up, you can gain new insights about yourself.

The second type are introverted dreams. In introverted dreams, you walk along a landscape or inside a building, or possibly even stay in bed, but despite the scenic nature of your setting, what you see around you is not where the action is. Rather, you are thinking about something, and thinking intently of it. You could write a new song while pacing in an old museum, put together a political idea, or even let a new scientific theory crystallize in your mind! You might even come up with conworlding ideas. Although often the ideas you have in dreams turn out to be nonsense once you've woken up and have the perspective of waking consciousness, some thoughts from introverted dreams can give you lasting creative output once you've woken up.

The third type of dreams would be cinematic dreams. In these dreams, your attention is focused outwards, yet you don't interact with the outer world of your dream. Rather, you watch and listen to something happening -- just like watching a TV show or a movie. A mysterious voice from who-knows-where can dictate information or a story, while this omniscient narrator tells you what's going on, or you can watch characters themselves speaking and interacting with each other . . . yet you are interacting with them about as much as you interact with movie characters when watching a movie in real life. I had many cinematic dreams as a child, but seldom experience them as an adult.
I usually have cinematic dreams. I am present in my dreams, but I do not usually interact with it or am able to cause any changes in what is happening. Like the dream, where Aevas was living in an under-water trailer and hosting the CBB via satelite because my friend caused a civil war in Europe over a speeding ticket. Oops. Maybe I will find the time to write this dream up some day.
Edit:
Khemehekis wrote: 28 Oct 2020 05:52 That dream taxonomy was my doing; Elemtilas just quoted me.
Sorry, fixed.
Last edited by Creyeditor on 28 Oct 2020 09:38, edited 2 times in total.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Creyeditor wrote: 24 Oct 2020 21:39
elemtilas wrote: 17 Oct 2020 23:53 The way I see it, there are three types of dreams.

. . .

The third type of dreams would be cinematic dreams. In these dreams, your attention is focused outwards, yet you don't interact with the outer world of your dream. Rather, you watch and listen to something happening -- just like watching a TV show or a movie. A mysterious voice from who-knows-where can dictate information or a story, while this omniscient narrator tells you what's going on, or you can watch characters themselves speaking and interacting with each other . . . yet you are interacting with them about as much as you interact with movie characters when watching a movie in real life. I had many cinematic dreams as a child, but seldom experience them as an adult.
That dream taxonomy was my doing; Elemtilas just quoted me.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 24 Oct 2020 17:26
Khemehekis wrote: 24 Oct 2020 08:26
No.
I'd say all the dreams where those kinds of things happen happen within the context of an interactive dream. Writing music or stories or discovering geopoetical ideas and so forth all happen within the context of the other types of dreams for me.
Oh, OK. I myself am more likely to get song material from an interactive dream that involves me listening to the radio or being at a concert than from an introverted dream wherein I just pace around trying to write a song.

They, as in the Space-brother aliens? Or they, as in the housemate to whom I wanted to show the tape? Or they, as in the host and guest speakers on the tape? The person to whom I wanted to show the alien projections never said anything, because I woke up right after getting a good look at those tan, two-legged, six-armed aliens.
Am I misremembering, or are there Tans in the Lehola Galaxy? Perhaps went for a little visit thitherwards after all!
There ARE Tans in the Lehola Galaxy! But Tans don't look anything like the aliens in my dream. Tans are similar to Greys, but they have tan skin.

Those caterpillar-aliens were too biologically implausible for me to make into a sapient life-form in the Lehola Galaxy (landlubbers with six arms?) And yet I did find a way to put them into my conworld -- as beings that are fictional within my conworld! I added this to my page on Kankonian entertainment:

A masterpiece of worldbuilding is the 7812 Kishi Nickel Kiwa film "The World Aside", wherein two Kankonians, a girl named Natalya and a boy named Adran, travel through a wormhole and land on a planet named Tonosho. There they are soon greeted by a sapient people called the thofeni (sing. thofen), who resemble upright caterpillars (somewhat similar to Ewoks or Furbys) with one pair of feet, three pairs of hands, tan skin, and brown fur, with basket/sieve-like contraptions worn on their heads. The thofeni teach Natalya and Adran to care for animal and plant life and their planet. Kishi hired Udne Astatine Kragadz, a professional conlanger, to create Pithasayi, the language spoken by the thofeni encountered by Natalya and Adran. Its phonology was filled with lots of fricatives and labials to give it a "soft" sound. Pithasayi was not just a relex of Kankonian; Udne gave it many non-Kankonian features, such as a case system for nouns and pronouns and productive reduplication.

Kishi created many animal species for the ecosystem of "The World Aside", as the thofeni live in harmony with their biosphere. They ride the yepeyudh, a six-legged slug/dinosaur/xenarthran creature, to travel across land. They keep the nazif, with six legs, a shaggy tail, horripilating fur, and two antennae, as a house pet. The small, six-legged ramumf, which resembles a mouse with its eyes on stalks like a snail, can be a house pest . . . or a loveable pet. The momobo, a sexdactylous nocturnal furry creature with Kermit the Frog eyes, a hog nose, an unseen mouth, and a tail like a ringtailed lemur's with a cotton puff at the end, is their nighttime friend, as is the shisoto, a furry Furby/owl/bat mix with two big eyes, a pig nose, two feet, four hands, big elfin ears, and Martian-like antennae. The paputa, a brontosaur/cow-looking animal with six teats, four legs each terminating in four-leaf-clover feet, and a chupacabra's crest, provides a galactologue fluid called glukha for the thofeni. The zhetath, which looks like a cross between a hawk and a bat, is the thofeni's only natural enemy and predator. The bobedh, with its ladybug-like red-with-black-dots back, six black wheels for feet, two antennae, and a hog nose, helps to scatter seeds and seed pods. The lapafa, which looks like a small version of Alf with four arms and butterfly wings, is a pollinator. The tiny bevuv, with cobwebby wings, eight legs, and two big eyes on stalks, is a pest and the favorite food of many bugs and flying creatures. The sifusha, with an equine/hippocampine head becrested with five plates, a short, unbent pair of front legs, two bent, orthopteroid pairs of medial and hind legs, and two ossicone-shaped spinnerets on its hindquarters, produces a natural silk for the thofeni. The waters are populated by the biyapapa, a full-lipped fish with a propeller on its back; the khomamo, which resembles a cross among a chiton, a trilobite, and an anomalocaridid with crab's poncers in front; the vevinth, a long, tadpole/minnow-looking creature with four pairs of legs; the ossicone coral, a sessile animal covered with protrusions that resemble ossicones; the takhisa, a six-flippered plesiosaur-like creature with an arc-shaped caodal fin and a natural picket-fence series of protrusions on its raised back onto which animals, thofeni, and humans can climb to get a ride across a body of water; and the highly intelligent ipishadhi (sing. ipishadh), ten-armed octopus-like animals with Kermit the Frog eyes and big protruding brains with wrinkles visible from the outside, who keep their pulsating brains in protective "bubbles" of glass. The thofeni no longer eat yepeyudhi, papute, vevinthi, biyapape, nor khomami; they figured out millennia ago how to make a kind of in vitro meat called vashuz, and get their protein from vashuz instead.

Kishi also created a number of plant species for the biosphere of Tonosho. The sifusha flower, whose seed pod is surrounded by eight rectangular petals, the longer petals alternating with the shorter ones, provides food for the sifushe that allows them to produce silk. The khrensel, a small plant resembling a coiled fern with triangular spikes for fronds, is feed for animals. The hwifuf, which produces three "mops" of fuzzy fiber on its boll, is an important fiber plant for the thofeni. The bubuth, a root vegetable with two protruding bulge halves and a leafy top that split into thirds, is the staple vegetable of the thofeni. The boyapo is a tree that branches out into T-shaped level upon T-shaped level, with the leaves and red, lychee-like fruit growing on the top side of each level. The kizakaz is a palm/cycad with a zigzagging trunk; its grey/purple fruits, which are shaped like giant mango seeds, provide lots of delicious fruit and can be hollowed out into boats for the thofeni. The lupupup has a fairly thin, striped trunk, two sets of whorls from the top running in opposite directions from each other, magenta flowers, and an orange fruit somewhat resembling some gourd species; lupupup fruit can be fermented into a comforting drink called bubush. The wiwihwo has five yellow "leaves" at top that act as a natural weather vane, with a disc near the middle that is the plant's leaves and an elliptical protrusion between the weather-vane top and the disc; this elliptical protrusion contains its nectar. The khlan has thick, triangular leaves with one medial vein and straight, horizontal venation growing out of its thick trunk; unlike a tree, though, it is close to the ground. Yepeyudhi love to munch on the khlan, and thofeni brew its leaves into an infusion. Finally, the amopodh is a short bush covered with psychotropic club-like protrusions containing a drug called takitaki, which allow the thofeni to get high.
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 28 Oct 2020 06:03
They, as in the Space-brother aliens? Or they, as in the housemate to whom I wanted to show the tape? Or they, as in the host and guest speakers on the tape? The person to whom I wanted to show the alien projections never said anything, because I woke up right after getting a good look at those tan, two-legged, six-armed aliens.
Alright, you gandalfed me! Specifically, the Space-brother aliens! What did they have to say about love and kindness?
There ARE Tans in the Lehola Galaxy! But Tans don't look anything like the aliens in my dream. Tans are similar to Greys, but they have tan skin.

Those caterpillar-aliens were too biologically implausible for me to make into a sapient life-form in the Lehola Galaxy (landlubbers with six arms?) And yet I did find a way to put them into my conworld -- as beings that are fictional within my conworld! I added this to my page on Kankonian entertainment:
Awesome! Great way to recycle otherwise odd dream visions! This is why keeping a dream journal is good idea. You never know when some small, really weird episode of a dream might not get slightly rotated and slide right into place in our worlds!
A masterpiece of worldbuilding is the 7812 Kishi Nickel Kiwa film "The World Aside", wherein two Kankonians, a girl named Natalya and a boy named Adran, travel through a wormhole and land on a planet named Tonosho. There they are soon greeted by a sapient people called the thofeni (sing. thofen), who resemble upright caterpillars (somewhat similar to Ewoks or Furbys) with one pair of feet, three pairs of hands, tan skin, and brown fur, with basket/sieve-like contraptions worn on their heads. The thofeni teach Natalya and Adran to care for animal and plant life and their planet. Kishi hired Udne Astatine Kragadz, a professional conlanger, to create Pithasayi, the language spoken by the thofeni encountered by Natalya and Adran. Its phonology was filled with lots of fricatives and labials to give it a "soft" sound. Pithasayi was not just a relex of Kankonian; Udne gave it many non-Kankonian features, such as a case system for nouns and pronouns and productive reduplication.
Friend, you need to write this into a kids book, prontissime. I know environmental issues are a key concern of yours, and I think this dream and your recycling of its material into a part of the Lehola World has yielded what I call a "fully formed concept". The work has been done for you. All you need to do is get the story down on paper. That's high dreaming and very deep geopoesy all wrapped into one happy package!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 28 Oct 2020 17:50
Alright, you gandalfed me! Specifically, the Space-brother aliens! What did they have to say about love and kindness?
The ones in my dream just moved their lips. They sure didn't speak in any natlang nor conlang I could understand!

Also, what does "gandalf" mean here? Wiktionary doesn't list it as a verb.
Awesome! Great way to recycle otherwise odd dream visions! This is why keeping a dream journal is good idea. You never know when some small, really weird episode of a dream might not get slightly rotated and slide right into place in our worlds!
Totally! There's conworlding, and then there's metaconworlding (conconworlding?)
Friend, you need to write this into a kids book, prontissime. I know environmental issues are a key concern of yours, and I think this dream and your recycling of its material into a part of the Lehola World has yielded what I call a "fully formed concept". The work has been done for you. All you need to do is get the story down on paper. That's high dreaming and very deep geopoesy all wrapped into one happy package!
Thanks for supporting me. To really get my message across, though, there's an element I may need to add. Right now, the only villains are the zhetathi. Perhaps we should add a human villain who comes from a planet Ms. Kishi made up and also discovers Tonosho through the same wormhole. This human villain wants to do things that will lead to climate change, and finds killing cute animals to be a form of entertainment. The thofeni have got to team up with Natalya and Adran -- and perhaps even the ipishadhi -- to save their unique biosphere.
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 29 Oct 2020 05:46
The ones in my dream just moved their lips. They sure didn't speak in any natlang nor conlang I could understand!

gandalf, v. to require anaphoric overspecificity despite the contextually obvious nature of the reference in a typically wizardly fashion [}:D]
Totally! There's conworlding, and then there's metaconworlding (conconworlding?)
Hmg.

Depends on how we understand meta-, I suppose! If we consider that metaphysics involves first principles, or if we take it to mean a kind of physics that lies beyond the consciously sensible realm, as of things transcendent, then I'd say nay to the first, aye to the second (conconworlding). Well, I'd actually say nay to the latter as well, despising all the con- words as I do, but that's a different kettle of kippers! In this case, I'd take metageopoetry / metaconworlding to be some kind of high & deep reflection on the Subcreative Urge of humanity, the human engaging with the divine spark within, seeking to mirror the Truth of Creation with a novel construct that reflects the glory of the real Creation. A treatise that delves more into theology & philosophy & mythology & psychology than into how to come up with a realistic planet by nicking ideas from science.

If we take meta- to mean consequent on, a transferrance or change, then I could see the former as you'd be transferring the function of the tan caterpillars from ill-fitting impossibility to perfectly fitting in-fictional fictional reality. If you take my meaning.

If we take meta- as meaning dealing with the topic of itself, then we'd be looking at a construct that treats of geopoetry / conworlding through the medium of the invented world itself.
Thanks for supporting me. To really get my message across, though, there's an element I may need to add. Right now, the only villains are the zhetathi. Perhaps we should add a human villain who comes from a planet Ms. Kishi made up and also discovers Tonosho through the same wormhole. This human villain wants to do things that will lead to climate change, and finds killing cute animals to be a form of entertainment. The thofeni have got to team up with Natalya and Adran -- and perhaps even the ipishadhi -- to save their unique biosphere.
Excellent start! Go forth in creativity!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 29 Oct 2020 07:48
Khemehekis wrote: 29 Oct 2020 05:46

gandalf, v. to require anaphoric overspecificity despite the contextually obvious nature of the reference in a typically wizardly fashion [}:D]
Ah-ha, I see! I've never watched the Tolkien cinematizations; I've only seen bits and pieces when I was in a room with other people watching them.

The context didn't seem so obvious to me. My first guess, as you saw, was that you meant the other people in the room to whom I wanted to show the aliens whom the tape was projecting.
. . .

If we take meta- as meaning dealing with the topic of itself, then we'd be looking at a construct that treats of geopoetry / conworlding through the medium of the invented world itself.
I was using meta- in its sense of "dealing with the topic of itself". So this. We had a woman in my conworld (the Lehola Galaxy, on the planet of Kankonia) do some conworlding, along with a man who helped her with conlanging.
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 11 Nov 2020 08:28 (Re: being gandalfed)
Ah-ha, I see! I've never watched the Tolkien cinematizations; I've only seen bits and pieces when I was in a room with other people watching them.
:ahem!: Jackson cinematisations, please! [>_<] They're enjoyable, certainly, but if you've read the books and not seen the movies, you're not missing out.
(If we take meta- as meaning dealing with the topic of itself, then we'd be looking at a construct that treats of geopoetry / conworlding through the medium of the invented world itself.)

I was using meta- in its sense of "dealing with the topic of itself". So this. We had a woman in my conworld (the Lehola Galaxy, on the planet of Kankonia) do some conworlding, along with a man who helped her with conlanging.
Indeed! Denê would call her shinanntannenima, an enchantress (of the cerebral reality arts).
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 11 Nov 2020 21:57
Khemehekis wrote: 11 Nov 2020 08:28 (Re: being gandalfed)
:ahem!: Jackson cinematisations, please! [>_<] They're enjoyable, certainly, but if you've read the books and not seen the movies, you're not missing out.
Fine, the Jackson cinematizations. From what I saw, I liked Avatar better.
(If we take meta- as meaning dealing with the topic of itself, then we'd be looking at a construct that treats of geopoetry / conworlding through the medium of the invented world itself.)

Indeed! Denê would call her shinanntannenima, an enchantress (of the cerebral reality arts).
Ooh, cerebral reality! Like what they have on Damta! And does shinanntannenima simply mean "enchantress"? Or is she a more specific type of enchantress?

A few weeks before the 2020 election, I had another weird dream. I was walking into a restaurant that looked an awful lot like Hubcaps with my mother. Hillary Clinton was running against Donald Trump in the 2020 election, and my mother told me there was a 97% chance that a third candidate, a man running for the Libertarian Party (and yes, it was a man) would win. I pointed out that only once before in history had a third-party candidate won, so the chances couldn't be as high as 97%.

Then I entered the restaurant. I thought I was walking into Carl's, Jr., and therefore I couldn't eat the food there, nor look at the wrappers for the food they were serving. Then I saw the wrappers. They didn't have the star with its eyes closed upside-down that Carl's, Jr. used. Instead, it was more like the boar's-head design on the Boar's Head hero sandwiches I sometimes buy from Safeway. I drank some water from their glass, before waking up.

(The day before I had the dream, my mother had come over in real life and discussed the 2020 election with me. She said the polls had Biden ahead by 10%, and Hillary had never had that. I said, "Plus, Hillary has this whole cottage industry of Americans who have made a career out of hating her . . . and Joe Biden doesn't". My mother said, "Yeah".)
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 14 Nov 2020 22:11 We had a woman in my conworld (the Lehola Galaxy, on the planet of Kankonia) do some conworlding, along with a man who helped her with conlanging.
Ooh, cerebral reality! Like what they have on Damta! And does shinanntannenima simply mean "enchantress"? Or is she a more specific type of enchantress?
More specific. I was reading your article over on the Damtaverse, and that plus your statement in in-world geopoetry, brought to mind this old episode.

Among Denê, it's not a matter of technology or herbcraft, but rather of that gentle caress of the inner recesses of the mind that the powerful enchantress is able to execute. Here I mean, on the one wing, the literal "singing in" of a kind of spell, but not a work of ordinary magic. After all, there are words within the enchantment, especially towards the beginning, and these words are heard and processed by the physical ears; but it's the music and the higher words that convey her stories directly to the very experience, the spirit & soul of the individual who is subject to the enchantment.

It's similar to CR, in that, in fact, participants do in fact share in the adventure or experience whatever tableau the shinanntannenima is weaving. Some folks are, in fact, able to interact in a paraconscious way with her weaving, but, really, most people are just kind of stunned out of the waking world only to find themselves experiential observers: they feel the joys and experience the hurts; they live and love and die; and, indeed, they bear the marks & scars on descending again into their physical bodies.

It is, for them, similar to true dreaming, which is something akin to a dream vision, or dream journey. The sort of dream where you just knów that you were there and are positive that it was real. It's just that true dreaming offers a much more tenuous connexion than being properly enchanted.

Think of it, perhaps, as a kind of subliminal ad that a) actually works and b) doesn't stop. This is one reason why Denê would not willingly allow any lesser peoples like Werres or Serren to participate. It would literally phoque with their minds and fry their brains, and they would forever wander the length and breadth of Yeola in search of a Faerie they can never find the entry way to. It would drive them totally mad. They may have come to hate Werre folk, but you know, there's just some things you don't do, and this kind of torture is one of them!

A few weeks before the 2020 election, I had another weird dream. I was walking into a restaurant that looked an awful lot like Hubcaps with my mother.
Ah, looks like a kind of chain greasy spoon. Is the food any good? Me I like actual diners, because each one has that little something special that sets it apart from all other diners, and certainly apart from even good chain restaurants.
Hillary Clinton was running against Donald Trump in the 2020 election, and my mother told me there was a 97% chance that a third candidate, a man running for the Libertarian Party (and yes, it was a man) would win. I pointed out that only once before in history had a third-party candidate won, so the chances couldn't be as high as 97%.
If only...
Then I entered the restaurant. I thought I was walking into Carl's, Jr., and therefore I couldn't eat the food there, nor look at the wrappers for the food they were serving. Then I saw the wrappers. They didn't have the star with its eyes closed upside-down that Carl's, Jr. used. Instead, it was more like the boar's-head design on the Boar's Head hero sandwiches I sometimes buy from Safeway. I drank some water from their glass, before waking up.

(The day before I had the dream, my mother had come over in real life and discussed the 2020 election with me. She said the polls had Biden ahead by 10%, and Hillary had never had that. I said, "Plus, Hillary has this whole cottage industry of Americans who have made a career out of hating her . . . and Joe Biden doesn't". My mother said, "Yeah".)
Interesting how your dream went from food, to politics, back to the much more interesting topic of food. I've heard of Carl's, but not Hubcaps. Any idea why they played such central roles in this dream?

I have to admit, I don't think I've ever had a dream that's taken place in a, mm, name-specific location like this. Have certainly dreamed inside various kind of shops and libraries and so forth, but maybe not restaurants, but they aren't brand specific

Maybe you're dreamsconsciousness has been coopted by McCorporateUSA? :mrgreen:
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

elemtilas wrote: 17 Nov 2020 01:09 More specific. I was reading your article over on the Damtaverse,
[+1]
Among Denê, it's not a matter of technology or herbcraft, but rather of that gentle caress of the inner recesses of the mind that the powerful enchantress is able to execute. Here I mean, on the one wing, the literal "singing in" of a kind of spell, but not a work of ordinary magic. After all, there are words within the enchantment, especially towards the beginning, and these words are heard and processed by the physical ears; but it's the music and the higher words that convey her stories directly to the very experience, the spirit & soul of the individual who is subject to the enchantment.

It's similar to CR, in that, in fact, participants do in fact share in the adventure or experience whatever tableau the shinanntannenima is weaving. Some folks are, in fact, able to interact in a paraconscious way with her weaving, but, really, most people are just kind of stunned out of the waking world only to find themselves experiential observers: they feel the joys and experience the hurts; they live and love and die; and, indeed, they bear the marks & scars on descending again into their physical bodies.

It is, for them, similar to true dreaming, which is something akin to a dream vision, or dream journey. The sort of dream where you just knów that you were there and are positive that it was real. It's just that true dreaming offers a much more tenuous connexion than being properly enchanted.

Think of it, perhaps, as a kind of subliminal ad that a) actually works and b) doesn't stop. This is one reason why Denê would not willingly allow any lesser peoples like Werres or Serren to participate. It would literally phoque with their minds and fry their brains, and they would forever wander the length and breadth of Yeola in search of a Faerie they can never find the entry way to. It would drive them totally mad. They may have come to hate Werre folk, but you know, there's just some things you don't do, and this kind of torture is one of them!
This sounds a bit like guided imagery.

(And a good deal like cerebral reality too! And the Lehola Galaxy also has a synthetic drug called (in LIE) oneirin, which gives people waking dreams called D-dreams.)
A few weeks before the 2020 election, I had another weird dream. I was walking into a restaurant that looked an awful lot like Hubcaps with my mother.
Ah, looks like a kind of chain greasy spoon. Is the food any good? Me I like actual diners, because each one has that little something special that sets it apart from all other diners, and certainly apart from even good chain restaurants.
I ate their Hickory Burger, their Cajun sausage sandwich, and their onion rings, and enjoyed all three. It has a fifties theme to it, with fifties music like Grease and the Everly Brothers, as well as a tribute to the car culture of the fifties (hence the name).
Hillary Clinton was running against Donald Trump in the 2020 election, and my mother told me there was a 97% chance that a third candidate, a man running for the Libertarian Party (and yes, it was a man) would win. I pointed out that only once before in history had a third-party candidate won, so the chances couldn't be as high as 97%.
If only...
I was quite impressed that this year the Libertarians put up a woman as the presidential nominee and a Jewish man as her running mate. Among the many reasons I am not a libertarian/Libertarian is that the ideology seems to be a club for SWMANs (Straight White Male Atheist Nerds), as many recesses of the Internet are fabled to be. As someone who is not a SWMAN, I'd feel left out.
Interesting how your dream went from food, to politics, back to the much more interesting topic of food. I've heard of Carl's, but not Hubcaps. Any idea why they played such central roles in this dream? . . . I have to admit, I don't think I've ever had a dream that's taken place in a, mm, name-specific location like this. Have certainly dreamed inside various kind of shops and libraries and so forth, but maybe not restaurants, but they aren't brand specific
Carl's, Jr. and Frosty Freeze (please, no one post an image of the latter!) appear in my dreams sometimes because their signs/logos make me purge. The former is drawn with its eyes closed upside-down (as is very common in anime) and the latter combines ice xxxxx cones with anthropomorphic food -- two things I hate -- for a lethal synergy. They're bad for my peculiar form of OCD.

I think this is my first Hubcaps dream, though.

More recent dreams:

I was at an elevated store with my father. The rest of my family was waiting outside for my father and me in a van. The folks at the store showed me "cannabis candy" and I wanted to try it. This candy was a red rectangle/cuboid with diagonal stripe-indentations on the front and back. I tried one, and it tasted like a cross between fruit snacks and red vines! I liked it! My father bought a bag of them for me, and I told him about having smoked weed in high school and college.

We climbed out of this high store and down the ladder that led to it. I walked on some dusty, dirty (but not muddy) ground that had a few plants growing out of it and by an array of shabby-looking buildings, with the cannabis shop now to my left. I walked into the van with my mother, but now realized I couldn't find my shoes! I wouldn't need them for the duration of the van trip, though. I tried to find out if anyone knew where my shoes were. My family handed me a tote bag that was mine. I woke up.

------------------------------------------------------------

I was at a museum where various online conworld stuff was hosted as art. Among the art was the works of celebrated conworlder Elemtilas (!) The various sapient races in Yeola appeared in pictures. Many appeared to be cyclopic. Someone pointed out that Yeola had many peoples, and that there were as many peoples as could possibly exist in one country (it was pointed out that the U.K. had the English, the Cornish, the Welsh, Scots, Scots-Irish, the Irish, Manx, Jerriais, Guernsey people, and Travelers, although some of these are really Crown Dependency groups instead of U.K. proper). I was told that if I spoke to one of the pictures, the people in the pictures would be animated and speak back to me. I looked at the picture labeled "Daine", and spoke to it, then it started saying something to me about imagination and spirituality and higher realms. Then I thought, "Hey, why doesn't the Daine guy have wings?"

I was in the audience, watching a live talk show from a tower high up in a building in front of me. One of the topics the talk show hit on was elementary reading education. This mom related the story of how there was a grading error in her child's reading class' test-grading software, and so when the class took tests, only one student's score came out perfect. We saw a copy of what that one "perfect" child had written, and the mom demonstrated that the letters that the kids had learned to write in that unit -- letters like K, N, O, U, and W -- had the part joining the left and right of the letter slanting in the wrong direction on that kid's paper. It should have been glaringly obvious to the other students or at least to the teacher, but the teacher didn't notice because the test-scoring software said that that kid's letter-writing test was perfect.

Now, I had a question I wanted to ask, so I raised my hand and said, "I have a question". A woman introduced as Monica told me she would take me into the tower where I could face the talk show hosts and guests with my question. I was lofted up in one of those carts like the kind that you sit in on a roller-coaster or Ferris wheel, and entered the tower from the back.

To my delight, I was soon in there with the host(esse)s and guests. They all appeared to be women. I spied a list of things that would be gone over at that episode of the talk show, including the reading class topic. I politely waited my turn to speak (albeit keeping my hand raised) as they went over some inane dalliances, then I spoke up. I said, "I have a question about the reading class topic".

One of the hostesses, however, told me that the topic of conversation had moved on: "You're a little late for that".

"But I've wanted to discuss that for all this time!", I objected.

"Why didn't you tell Monica that?", a hostess asked.

I was both furious and flustered with that question. It made no sense. How was I to know that I would get up there as soon as possible, but, thanks to no fault of Monica's own, still be too late? Exasperatedly, I answered in as loud a voice as I could (although my voice was barely audible): "How was I supposed to know that all of you would be yammering and not give me a turn? I'm not Nostradamus! Monica got me up there as fast as she could! I waited my turn -- VERY POLITELY -- because it would be rude to interrupt, and you tell me I'm still too late?" Then I tried to speak even louder, so I wouldn't be silenced -- but my words barely came out as a rumble: "This is my question: Didn't some other kid *point out* that the K's and N's and W's on that student's paper were all wrong if the teacher didn't notice it?"

They chastised me for hijacking their program by asking an after-the-train-has-left-the-station question, and then I planned to tell Monica about what the hostesses had done to me, and perhaps even complain to the producers of the talk show. Then I woke up.

I was having a conversation with my parents about the election predictions, and Biden was almost certain to trounce Trump. They said that there were 269 electoral votes that were in the bag for Biden, and he only needed a single up-for-grabs electoral vote to reach 270. My mother commented that the law-and-order segment of the population liked Biden. She said German-Americans were polled to vote overwhelmingly for Biden. So were Christians, and this was the first time in living memory that the majority of Christian Americans would vote Democrat.

I looked at a groundbreaking poll that broke down the vote by state, religion, each of the ethnic ancestry groups (German, Italian, Mexican, African-American, Jamaican, Chinese, Korean, Filipino, Hawaiian, Cajun, etc.) on the U.S. census, gender, ideology, generation, and more. I was now in a library, and this poll appeared in front of me. I used a computer-style search option to find "German", and found that most German-Americans who took the poll (it gave absolute numbers, not just percentages) supported Biden. Then I did a search for "Jewish". There were something like 9 Trump-voting Jews to 1,007 Biden-voting Jews sampled in the poll. I then checked out Christians. Then I wanted to search for "Jewish" again, but the highlighting feature of the document viewer highlighted the word "Jewish" in many other papers and books, now going into the juvenile section of the library.

I heard the word "yxm" twice. As the search went through, I started getting uncomfortable waiting to go into the restroom to purge off the word "yxm", and tried to find a place in the juvenile section where no one would see me purge.

Everywhere I went, I saw at least one person. I tried to purge when I saw no one looking at me, but my hands felt so paralyzed. Eventually I woke up.

I was back in the library. This time, my sister Liz and I were trying to program a miniature-sized android boy (like Don Juan Diego in the movie Jingle Jangle). We called him Ma-chûte (pronounced as in French), because that word had some meaning in the language in which we were programming him. We taught him language, introducing new words in one sentence at a time. We went through a book about teaching vocabulary. The book seemed to be from the thirties, forties, or fifties, though, and I wasn't too pleased how it had lots of dated words and some literary words like "debonair" that weren't core enough. I wanted to teach Ma-chûte with the Landau Core Vocabulary instead!

As we went through the book and saw the pictures the computer program was creating, I saw a fractal-esque image of a Ma-chûte with a smaller Ma-chûte on his right shoulder, and that Ma-chûte had an even smaller Ma-chûte on his right shoulder, and the third Ma-chûte had a smaller-yet fourth Ma-chûte on HIS right shoulder! Clearly, there was a recursion error. We got some Wite-out to try to fix it.

Unfortunately, however, one of us closed the book by accident (we weren't using a bookmark!) and we lost our place. I used a search/highlight option, like the one in the previous dream, to search for the word "out", which I remembered was on that page. We watched as this amazing search option flipped through the book like a deck of cards, until it landed on the same page, about halfway through the book!

As Liz was fixing it, I thought to myself: But Ma-chûte isn't all that attractive a name. What are we supposed to do: Call him Mash? Will addressing him as "Hey, Mash!" once make it work? And "Mash" isn't very appealing -- I can't stand mashed potatoes. How about we choose a name like Danny? What will Liz think of calling Ma-chûte Danny?

As I was pondering names, I woke up.
♂♥♂♀

Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

small children playing basketball on an adult-sized court, indoors, possibly in a high school gymnasium. neither team expects to get many points, and it seems they were not actually playing against each other .... they had at least 2 basketballs and 2 hoops, and the goal was to see who could throw the most balls through the hoop. thus they did not try to interfere with each other.

the main strategy was to throw a type of shot they called the wayoffquackingquaver. This was taken from a story, and the bunched together writing style was in imitation of an 1800s English author whom the author of the story was imitating. in the story, there had been one other such word as well. Despite its name, the kids on both teams actually managed to get a few points using the wayoffquackingquaver method. I dont know who won, though.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

I was back in high school and my parents couldn’t pick me up until 11:00 PM. There was also something about me building an observation tower to look at the Moon, which somehow became me actually visiting it (I remember a huge crater; the Moon was much like its depiction in A Trip to the Moon). Then somehow the Zodiac Killer got involved and I had to basically flay him into nothingness at his request. He had no bones or any internal organs.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Feb 19, 2021
I dreamed i was a grown up version of the self-insert superhero character i used to write about as a young boy. I get the impression it was a long dream, but all i remember is the conflict with the female superheros in their dormitory. In fact I don't remember any male characters from the dream at all, but neither do I remember feeling out of place for being male, so I think that subconsciously the world was still as I had created it and that I was part of a team of adventurers with both male and female members, though we each had our own dormitories to sleep in, and they were about two miles apart. This dream took place in Sanford Maine, a town I've lived in, inasmuch as it contained a real-world landmark that exists in that town.

i was returning a pair of boots that Sara, one of the weaker adventurers, needed to wear to use her flight power. I also needed an item like that to fly, so by giving the boots to her i was giving up my ability to fly. Some of the others could also fly using the boots, but the boots would not give that powers to everyone.

In the dormitory a woman, perhaps named Melissa, wanted the boots and was unreasonably upset at my even being there, and told me i wasnt allowed in, and to give the boots to her because if i did not they would find them and take them anyway.

So instead i just left with the boots. i went to the mall (real place, fictional stores) and looked for a rolling cart like they use in some stores for heavy merchandise .... because that was one of the other items i could use to access my flight power. I was going to take that from the store, and then fly with the boots to an abandoned store and stick them in the roof. I had nothing against Sara .... she and I were close friends and I had been on her side in conflicts where even my other friends were against her .... but I didn't trust Melissa or many of the others in the supposed girls' dormitory.

Having flown to the mall to fulfill my plan, I scared a customer who was going into a women's clothing store by jumping up right in front of her ... i dont remember why but i gave an explanation that didnt make sense ... something beginning with "You know how when you..." even though I knew she couldn't relate to me because she wasn't part of the superhero league. I know it was something to do with the boots, which were feminine in appearance but definitely still fit me. I may have found a rolling cart in the parking lot instead of taking one from a store.

I'm pretty sure i remember being up on top of the abandoned store and hiding the boots, but that part of the dream is boring and difficult for even me to remember. I still remember the building very clearly, and like so many of my dreams I could place it on a map to within a few feet, even though what actually exists at that spot is just open parking space, with no building.

Feb 28, 2021

I was in a large building early on in the dream, but I dont remember the details.

Later, I was in Portland Maine, and some other people were around me, mostly or entirely women .... one of them wondered out loud how to find a particular restaurant, because the signs on the buildings seemed not to match the signs on the doors. I followed her for a few seconds just to see if I could help, because the restaruant she wanted was one I'd heard of before, but I couldn't see anything that she couldn't also see, so I walked back without saying anything. I think she was with other women, who had stayed further back and also were unable to help, but in the end the woman walked into a restaurant which may or may not have been the one she and her friends had wanted.

Then I entered a restaurant which had a well-stocked store inside and was at the front of the line, with at least two people behind me. The clerks were taking the orders haphazardly, such that I wasn't asked first even though I was first in line, but I didn't mind that and I wasn't sure I wanted to order anything at all since the menu on display up above was only showing things I wasn't interested in ... they might have been desserts, pastries, or something similar, but this was clearly a sandwich shop and a sandwich was all I wanted.

Suddenly an employee moved the rolling rack behind me so that the line wouldn't be so crowded. I helped with this and the other customers may have also helped.

Soon, I still hadn't placed my order, and I mentioned to the employees that the computerized display menu was unhelpful. One of them handed me a paper menu that showed the price of a footlong at $11, which was much higher than I wanted to pay, but there was something about it that made me agree to it at first .... it may have had double portions, or been a two-for-one deal, or something similar. However, I soon realized that whatever bonus I had been expecting was not in fact included and I was going to be made to pay $11 for just an ordinary Italian sandwich. Then somehow I found an old paper menu showing not only much better prices but also a much wider variety, such that I could get a much more appetizing sandwich for less money, or order pasta dishes, which they up until now had not even mentioned. I chose not to do this, however, as I really wanted just an ordinary Italian sandwich, and I think the dream may have ended here.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I was on this website whereon I looked up events and it gave me the historical date. One event I read on the site was the first words being spoken. I read that the first words were spoken when Adam asked, "What is in the rat's mouth?", and the ox answered, "An apple". This was not only the first language, but the first pedagogical test. I looked up the date, and the website cited the Bible. It turned out the entire chronology from the Bible had been included in the site's datings!

I wondered, "Was 'an apple' the correct answer?" Then I realized that we don't know because the people writing the Old Testament did not record the answer. I then thought to myself, We really need to invent a time machine, so someone can go back in time to Biblical times and ask the people of that era these questions, and we can learn the contexts of these Bible verses instead of having them out of context. By now I was wandering in the frozen food section of a supermarket.
Last edited by Khemehekis on 03 Apr 2021 14:31, edited 1 time in total.
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 12 Mar 2021 16:19 I was on this website whereon I looked up events and it gave me the historical date. One event I read on the site was the first words being spoken. I read that the first words were spoken when Adam asked, "What is in the rat's mouth?", and the ox answered, "An apple". This was not only the first language, but the first pedagogical test. I looked up the date, and the website cited the Bible. It turned out the entire chronology from the Bible had been included in the site's datings!

I wondered, "Was 'an apple' the correct answer?" Then I realized that we don't know because the people writing the Old Testament did not record the answer. I then thought to myself, "We really need to invent a time machine, so someone can go back in time to Biblical times and ask the people of that era these questions, and we can learn the contexts of these Bible verses instead of having them out of context. By now I was wandering in the frozen food section of a supermarket.
In search of the apple pie no doubt!