Weird Dream Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Re: Weird Dream Thread

Post by Creyeditor »

I dreamt of the name 'hrombula' (maybe also 'hrombulus'). I have never heard it before. It seems to be Czech.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

So I've been listening to a lot of podcasts lately, and for the first time last night I had a podcast dream. The podcast was hosted by two women, and they were having a photojournalist on to talk about a new photo essay he'd released. As the photojournalist told his story in the podcast, which I heard as if wearing headphones, I experienced the story from his point of view.

The photojournalist talked about his project, and I saw the photographs. Each was a view down a hallway on each floor of a hotel. In one, a person leaned against the wall looking at their phone. In another, a man about halfway down the hall looked directly at the camera.

The journalist started describing the process of taking the pictures, and I/he was at the hotel, which was castle-like with ivy-draped red brick and patinaed copper roofs. There was a separate elevator tower in the same style connected to the main building by a bridge at the top floor. The journalist said he knew this would be the perfect way to take his pictures. He would ride the elevator up one floor at a time and get out to take a picture down the hallway to his right. I got on the elevator at the ground floor and went to the second floor (first floor for any Brits). I went out into the hall and raised the camera to take a picture. A man about halfway down the hall noticed, and motioned that he would get out of the way, but I motioned that he could stay and snapped the picture. It turned out to be the second photo from earlier, with the man looking directly at the camera. I got back in the elevator and pressed the "Up" button. The next floor up, I again took a picture; this time it was the first photo I'd seen.

When I got back in the elevator, I went to press the "Up" button, but instead I accidentally pressed a button labeled "Ahead". The elevator went completely dark, and I heard machinery working outside it. I felt the elevator car start to move forward as if on an overhead track. On the podcast, the photojournalist said, "Of course, I didn't know it was a rollercoaster." A moment later, the elevator car plunged down a steep slope and then entered a sharp curve. When the elevator eventually came to a rest, I inferred from the sounds I heard that it was on a moving train transporting livestock. I woke up.

Meta-time! That was one of the most narratively cohesive dreams I've had in a long time, but a couple things didn't make sense, even accepting the internal logic of an elevator car that becomes a rollercoaster. If I've described everything understandably, you'll notice that the design of the elevator tower shouldn't have allowed me to get off on each floor; it was separate from the main building with the only connection being at the top floor.

Based on their voices, I can't quite identify the hosts. But I'm pretty sure the photojournalist had the voice of an NPR reporter named Sam Sanders. He has a podcast I listen to regularly.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

The elevator thing was the first I noticed. I actually had to read this sentence a few times to be able to parse it.
But what if the tower was actually connected to the building at every level, except the last floor, where there was space for a bridge. because of the angle of the building's roof? Something like this:
Spoiler:
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Creyeditor wrote: 06 Apr 2018 18:36The elevator thing was the first I noticed. I actually had to read this sentence a few times to be able to parse it.
But what if the tower was actually connected to the building at every level, except the last floor, where there was space for a bridge. because of the angle of the building's roof?
I thought about that, but I don't think so. The tower was fully separate, like a prettier version of this with only one bridge.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

So there must have been portals and you didn't notice.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I got aboard a bus. On the bus I saw a sheet of Spanish lessons. There were nine categories of words, one of which was teeth. It had been used to teach some students who used the bus.

I looked at the Body Parts II category. It had several frames, each showing drawings of a woman with a blonde lob and a man with brown hair that looked like a roof. The respective body part was circled on both the woman and the man on each picture. The head/la cabeza showed the backs of their heads circled (one was facing the front, while the other was in profile). The hair/el pelo showed circles that somehow circled their hair. Then they had the chain (no la cadena for some reason), which was somehow categorized as a body part, and had the necklaces around the man's and woman's necks circled.

Soon it turned into an English/Spanish students' dictionary, alphabetically arranged, with the picture categories as a sort of preface. I thought about what words I would want to look up, then I woke up.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Birdlang
greek
greek

Post by Birdlang »

I dreamt one night this monstrosity.
I was on a mission from a government (I forget which country) to stop a mad scientist woman. I went to her castle and got in without a problem since I was wearing an invisibility cloak issued by the government. I found the mad scientist woman and she was talking to her cohorts, she had long brown hair and looked Mediterranean, maybe Greek or Cypriot, her name was Linnea. Her henchman was a short Japanese man named Fuji and he was speaking in Japanese talking about a cat named Baka-choo with buck teeth and a southern accent and singing "La Cucaracha".
I noticed 2 switches on the wall, a red switch and a green switch. I pressed the green switch, not knowing that the red switch was weirdly the right choice. Soon, I heard a siren wail. I heard a whirring sound from down the hall. I saw a robot guard that looked like an ordinary floor scrubber machine charging towards there. My invisibility cloak protected me against that, then I got into a bumper car-esque escape pod. I jettied out the window, which smashed it, and escaped and through a tracker bomb into the building. It blew up, spread tracker diodes everywhere, and the building exploded. It was a success and I woke up after that.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

I've had a few vivid dreams over the past several nights. I only remember isolated scenes, but I'm writing them down so I don't completely forget them.

Dream No. 1:

I was attempting to pull my car out of a parallel-parking spot, but the car in front of me was moving back and forth and blocking my path. Eventually, I put my car in reverse and smoothly steered out of the space, backward, avoiding the car parked behind me. At the same moment, the car blocking me also reversed, but with me having gotten out of the way, it crashed into the car that had been behind me.

Things I don't remember happened until I was at home. I had a large-ish bag of small orange-colored seeds that if scattered would rapidly turn into small pigs. Even though I thought spreading the seeds was a bad idea, I did it anyway, scattering them in several rooms. I walked around the house, watching more and more pigs appear.

Dream No. 2:

I was reviewing some characteristic of phonology with another person. We were looking at IPA symbols on a long, narrow, horizontal board, with consonants near the left/beginning and vowels near the right/end. We started with the consonants, and when we got to the vowels, someone said that whatever aspect we were considering was less easily defined for vowels.

Things I don't remember happened, and then I was entering a prison with another person. The person was simultaneously an "original character" in her twenties and a woman I know in real life who is in her fifties or sixties; when I try to remember what this person looked like, I don't remember much, just my certainty of this combined identity. The prison was mostly concrete and built around an underground staircase. My companion told me her sister was among the prisoners, but I can't remember if she wanted to see her sister or avoid her. The cells opened onto the staircase, with bars keeping the prisoners in, and as we descended the staircase, I realized the cells were laid out so you could see who was in each cell before they could see you. We went down several floors, but when we started on the next flight of stairs, there was a cell positioned differently than the others, and taken off guard, my companion and I weren't able to see who was in it before reaching it. Inside was a young woman I knew to be my companion's sister. She looked like the character Foxface in "The Hunger Games" movie, but with an '80s style side ponytail. She approached us and said something I don't remember.

Dream No. 3:

I had been charged with teaching two of my friends about "Beowulf" even though I knew nothing about "Beowulf". I think I'd already given them their first lesson. While I was occupied with something in a different, forgotten storyline of the dream, they came up to me and let me know about several errors they'd noticed in my lesson. The first example was that I'd said the "-wulf" in "Beowulf" was a reference to a dog's "woof". They then proceeded to give me a test on aspects of the poem, which I think I managed to guess correctly.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Khemehekis wrote: 21 Jan 2018 11:27
Lambuzhao wrote: 19 Oct 2017 23:30 "They don't stop coming, and they don't stop coming" (from Smashmouth 'Rock Star') was playing in the background, probably.
"Rock Star"? I believe you mean "All Star".
Uff! Yes. Thanks!
[:$]
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Lambuzhao wrote: 31 Jul 2018 17:42
Khemehekis wrote: 21 Jan 2018 11:27
Lambuzhao wrote: 19 Oct 2017 23:30 "They don't stop coming, and they don't stop coming" (from Smashmouth 'Rock Star') was playing in the background, probably.
"Rock Star"? I believe you mean "All Star".
Uff! Yes. Thanks!
[:$]
Little-known fact: The song is actually "Awl Star" because, much like an ill-maintained awl, the speaker ain't the sharpest tool in the shed. [:P]
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Very good point … … which I suppose the singer also lacks, being the aforementioned tool of least sharpness in the vertiable shed, as you pointed out.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Dormouse559 wrote: 15 Jun 2018 21:58

Things I don't remember happened until I was at home. I had a large-ish bag of small orange-colored seeds that if scattered would rapidly turn into small pigs. Even though I thought spreading the seeds was a bad idea, I did it anyway, scattering them in several rooms. I walked around the house, watching more and more pigs appear.

Did the pigs appear vegetative in any way?
Did they act like pigs/animals, or just kind of stand there like a plant?
Did you do anything with the pigs? Chased them? Played with them?
How big did they get?
Did you eat the pigs?
If so, did they taste 'porky' or 'veggily' ?
:wat:

Your dream is interesting b/c I recently had a dream where I had acquired/collected some hedghog-like creatures that were dead and dried spiny husks of their bodies (like dehydrated mummies). But, between their spines and pangolin-like scales, there were lodged innumerable seeds of some kind of (presumably rare) plant that I wanted to grow.

So, I hung the husks from a window with an Eastern exposure, misted them with water from time to time, and they started to grow seedlings, sort of like a natural chia pet.

[ Clearly I have been working too much with microgreens this summer. :roll:
But they are so tasty in salads, sandwiches & hoagies, soups & ramen, and just to snack on! [:P] ]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

@Lambu: They sound like pinecones!
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Lambuzhao wrote: 31 Jul 2018 18:05 Very good point … …
Oh, you! [:D]

Lambuzhao wrote: 31 Jul 2018 18:16Did the pigs appear vegetative in any way?
Did they act like pigs/animals, or just kind of stand there like a plant?
Did you do anything with the pigs? Chased them? Played with them?
How big did they get?
Did you eat the pigs?
If so, did they taste 'porky' or 'veggily' ?
:wat:
They didn't appear very veggie-y.
They acted like pigs. They walked around, maybe made pig noises.
I didn't interact with the pigs. I just kind of walked among them.
They stayed small, roughly chihuahua size, but there were a lot of them, so it probably got a little hard for me to move around.
No.
N/A

Lambuzhao wrote:Your dream is interesting b/c I recently had a dream where I had acquired/collected some hedghog-like creatures that were dead and dried spiny husks of their bodies (like dehydrated mummies). But, between their spines and pangolin-like scales, there were lodged innumerable seeds of some kind of (presumably rare) plant that I wanted to grow.

So, I hung the husks from a window with an Eastern exposure, misted them with water from time to time, and they started to grow seedlings, sort of like a natural chia pet.
Hey, that's pretty neat. I agree with eldin on the pinecone thought. What did the seedlings look like?
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Creyeditor wrote: 17 Mar 2018 15:57 I dreamt of the name 'hrombula' (maybe also 'hrombulus'). I have never heard it before. It seems to be Czech.
Sorry I'm responding so late -

Was electricity, lightning, or the like, involved somehow?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Reconstr ... grom%D1%8A

Could be of Czech, Slovak, Ukrainian, Belarusian, or Sorbian provenance.

*hromula (without the /b/ ) sounds a little more like a (westerly) Slavic name.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

IIRC, it was the name we wanted to give to some pet. It was a dog, I think, but I only remember its dog bowl. Might have very well been Hromula, because I remember connecting it to Romulus in my dream. If it's really derived from thunder, that's a fitting name for a mysterious dog.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

eldin raigmore wrote: 31 Jul 2018 18:20 @Lambu: They sound like pinecones!
Right?!? :roll:

No, actually they clearly had wizened dry faces, and dessicated curled up limbs. Furthermore, they had pangolin like scales, but each scale had two or more 'velcros' just like the velcros on burdock burrs. They were quite grippy and sticktoitive, like burdock burrs, only larger, and indeed, in a general pinecone sort of shape, yet they had an almost furry appearance.

But after the dream, it made me think of smearing peanut butter on pinecones to hang for birds (or thieving squirrels) to eat.

I think I was going to grow the plants for microgreens, b/c lately I'm just obsessed with them. [xP]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

The night between November 23 and November 24, 2018, I had a dream wherein I was at either a bookstore or a library. I found a thick book whose spine said it was a Japanese dictionary. It looked like an old book, but I was hoping it would be pretty up-to-date so I opened it.

Turned out it was a full-color picture dictionary. I saw several pages with fruits, vegetables, and other foods labeled -- these were near the back of the book. My father, who was at the bookstore/library with me, asked me about the "atlas" I was looking at. I explained that it wasn't an atlas.

I suddenly recognized it as a dictionary I had seen before and enjoyed. (This was one of those false memories that exists in dreams -- no such dictionary exists in the real world.) I opened up closer to the front of the book and looked at the pronoun section. They had lots of illustrations for personal pronouns. "She" and "he" showed a Japanese woman and a Japanese man, respectively. The woman was pushing a man in a wheelchair. I thought about how I had seen two people in wheelchairs so far in that dictionary.

By now, the dictionary was opened up around me and I was surrounded by a 3D world of its pictures, as if I were inside it. I opened to the animals section and saw many mammals and birds as well as a few humans -- they didn't break it down into a wild mammal section, a domestic mammal section, and a bird section the way most picture dictionaries do. The drawings were more colorful and brighter, but more cartoonish than those I had seen in the other sections of the book (the latter of which had a very 1940's feel to them, like some of the illustrations in Seventeen).

I thought about using my pinky nail to scrape out the eyes that were closed upside-down which I remembered from certain people in the humans section, but now I saw that some of the people who had been there before weren't there, which had been a result of reading the dictionary when different people were visiting. Also, it was now night instead of day as it had been the last time I read this book -- or was it day instead of night as it had been the last time?

I was now at the two-page "People" section of the dictionary, looking to view the entries for "man", "woman", "boy", "girl", etc. again and wondering if the people would all be Japanese in the illustrations. There was one brown-haired guy with his eyes closed (right-side-up!) whom I liked looking at from the first time I read it, so I looked for him. Instead I saw this family with a homemaker mother, and three kids, Abby, Sharon, and Ben, whom I also recalled from my last reading of the dictionary. They were a White family.

I remembered them. By now a song was playing. The homemaker mom went on in this song hurrying her kids to do things as they went about their day. After the first two verses, I hoped it wouldn't be over too soon, but now I remembered there was a bridge before the last verse. I thought about the YouTube video from the same franchise as this dictionary that existed of this song, and showed this family in its animation. I decided I would watch the YouTube video when I was done. Then either the bridge or the last of the three verses played, and there were two lines ending with -en words (ten, again, pen, men, etc.), followed by a third line that had the name "Ben" in the middle (Ben, as you'll recall, was the son in the family).

That was the last thing I remember before I woke up.
♂♥♂♀

elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 29 Jan 2019 08:25 The night between November 23 and November 24, 2018, I had a dream wherein I was at either a bookstore or a library. I found a thick book whose spine said it was a Japanese dictionary. It looked like an old book, but I was hoping it would be pretty up-to-date so I opened it.

Turned out it was a full-color picture dictionary. I saw several pages with fruits, vegetables, and other foods labeled -- these were near the back of the book.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Cool picture, Elemtilas. Is that the Dorling-Kindersley picture dictionary, by any chance?

And I see yamaimo is a false cognate for yam!
♂♥♂♀