Weird Dream Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Re: Weird Dream Thread

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

I have a doctor's appointment this morning, so naturally, as someone who is afraid of hospitals and going to the doctor's, I had no fewer than two dreams about it last night.

It was the first one that interested me the most: I was in the hospital, but everything looked very retro, as if it were the 50s or 60s. I went past this large receptionist's desk where several receptionists were all clacking away at typewriters. Past them I was in a dark hallway. I went down one way and saw a bunch of older people with casts and crutches and wheelchairs and figured that wasn't right, so I turned around and went the other way and at the end of the hall I could see newborn babies, so I knew that wasn't right either. I got back out to the receptionists' desk when an older woman came up to the desk and said "I just murdered someone" and all the receptionists started saying "fourth floor!", "you want to the fourth floor, ma'am!", etc. and I thought "do I need to go to the fourth floor too?" So I walked through an elaborate set of old wooden staircases (again, everything was very dark) and when I got to the fourth floor, the top floor, I found I was in a roof garden (more like a roof forest) with apartments and I thought "I could live here".

And that's when I woke up [:P] That dream seemed full of weird symbolism.
Evni Öpiu-sä
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Evni Öpiu-sä »

Canada's government made a decision that the new Canadian "cent" will be one sixth, not one hundredth of Canadian dollar.
:fin: - C2
:eng: - ranges from A2 to B2
:swe: - ranges from A1 to A2
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I was walking home, when I needed to cross the campus of Del Rey Elementary School in Orinda, California, long after the school day had let out there. As I was crossing near the kindergarten buildings, I crossed the athletic fields and saw a thuggish lad in his twenties carrying a big black gun. He shot a bullet, and the bullet ricocheted. He then shot a second bullet, which went into a soft spot in my back (away from my spine). As I did not fall down, I was apparently not hurt badly, and continued walking up to him. I began wondering whether this was a dream. I grabbed the gun from him, and then tried to shoot him, out of self-defense. However, no bullets came out, so I figured the second bullet I had seen him shoot was the last bullet in the cartridge. I carried the gun to the principal's office at Del Rey nonetheless, telling the principal that a twentysomething non-student had a gun on him and had shot me with it. The boy then came in, and his face looked totally big-eyed and worried and spazzed-out-mouthed, just as if it were drawn on like on a cartoon character. I became much more convinced that this was a dream, but the layout of the campus and all the detail in what I saw gave me lingering doubts that I was dreaming. I identified the lad as the hoodlum who had shot me, and he was begging for mercy. I then woke up.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 86,336 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Some conworlding-related dreams I've had lately:

I was thinking of Yiddish, and reading something on how Yiddish would be handled in a conworld. The book showed color-coded scribbles, mostly two colors dominating the whole picture.

Then, I was introduced to this whole illustrated book of animal-populated nations. Each nation had its own name, and was a fictionalization of, and social commentary on, some real-world nation. The last nation in the book, for instance, Zelazia, was an allegorical representation of some African nation and was peopled with anthropomorphic zebras. These zebras wore human clothes.

I had a false awakening, and tried to tell people about that great book I had read in my dream. Then I started lucid-dreaming and realized I was still asleep. England was the country populated by people. In fact, people of English descent were human in whatever allegorical "nation" they were living in. I escaped a room in which where was a lion after me, turning left and right several times. And the Welsh were turtles. Many of these turtles were wearing trenchcoats and bowlers! I was now climbing aboard a bus populated by anthropomorphic turtles -- including Al Gore and Hillary Clinton! I thought to myself, "I didn't know they were of Welsh descent". I was curious as to how Israel and Jews would be turned into animals.

I finally woke up.

I had this deep dream wherein I was going up and down a multi-story building. There was some agony I was facing but trying to escape, can't remember what it was. I went down into this bookstore story of the building -- probably a university -- and found a book that talked about some ancient language. It said that knowledge of this language's pronunciation would be lost were it not for a contemporary description in another language (with a phonetic writing system) of each of that mysterious language's ninety-odd glyphs. One of the glyphs was to be pronounced fuch, and another to be pronounced fuck.

Just a few nights ago, I dreamt that I was staying at a hotel with my family and escaped my hotel room to explore the area without telling them. I nomadded around for a day until I saw a "Missing adult" poster with my face and name on it. I was in searcj of water, very thirsty. Nothing I drank could quench my thirst. I finally came back to my family and came up with an excuse for getting lost.

I then watched an MTV feature that featured the music to "Flagpole Sitta" by Harvey Danger (the nineties song that goes "I'm not sick, but I'm not well") and that discussed its significance to Generation X. I then watched an MTV show on Millennials. I then considered writing my own Kankonian song (genre undecided) that was fairly recent on the Kankonian timeline, without realizing I was borrowing the melody to "Flagpole Sitta". I considered writing a verse about a middle-ager with a girl's name popular 45 years ago and a young person with a girl's name popular 25 years ago (like writing an English-language song naming characters Heather and Jessica to establish that they are Gen-X and Millennial respectively). I then filled it with references to Kankonian TV shows, and other bits of cultural knowledge from Kankonia and the other Lehola nations, and thought, "I just need to get it all to rhyme and fit the meter". I thought the song would be considered a masterpiece by Kankonians, perhaps the equivalent of Don McLean's "American Pie" in the English-speaking world.
♂♥♂♀

alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

I had a dream last night about the next US presidential election, in which I had a heated discussion with a coworker over the merits of Kamala Harris--I supported her strongly, he did not. This was unexpected because I have no particular feelings about Kamala Harris, know very little about her positions, and in fact have been scarcely following any news about Democratic presidential candidates. Apparently my subconscious is a big Harris supporter??? Weird.

(also, in my dream it was something like a Clinton-Sanders situation, where Kamala Harris had become wildly popular but didn't get the nomination, and I had taken on the role of a Bernie Bro for her (that is, I was obsessed with her despite her losing the nomination). I have no clue who the actual final candidate was, although I want to say either Elizabeth Warren or Joe Biden. Perhaps I've become a prophet, although I find it unlikely I'd be that obsessed with a single candidate--we'll see in a year, I guess.)
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

that dream sounds excessively like something I would have [:P] Maybe the Sandman got mixed up
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Another conworlding dream:

I watched a truck plough through the mud outdoors, near a forest and cave. I thought, "I'd hate to get dirty", and then a thought hit me. I could create a future conworld in which humanity was divided into two peoples: the Chthonians and the Aeronians. The Chthonians would live outside, maybe even underground, and be in constant contact with dirt, plants, animals, and fungi. The Aeronians would live in sterilized houses with no cobwebs, and everything in their world would be extremely sterile. They would have hygiene and beauty, pretty perfumes and colognes, nail polishes, air fresheners, soft beds, etc. Chthonians and Aeronians would be two different castes, so that the Chthonians would do the dirty work and clean the Aeronians' yards and pave their roads. The Aeronians would never do such things.

I had a false awakening, and told another person about the dream in which the Chthonian/Aeronian idea had come to me. She wrote them down on the chalkboard, but misspelled "Aeronian" as "Aronian" (like the aronia berry).
♂♥♂♀

Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Very nice. When I was young, I was very Chthonian .... like many young boys, I played outside and couldnt understand why girls and adults seemed to spend so much of their time in the bathtub. I even remember being offended at an advertisement for soap that implied there was something wrong with being dirty. In 2015 I got sick and now Im a germaphobe, probably for life, but my sympathies here still lie entirely with the Chthonians.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
When I see you pointing at me, I know I'm in trouble. (Play)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Pabappa wrote: 16 Oct 2019 21:48 Very nice. When I was young, I was very Chthonian .... like many young boys, I played outside and couldnt understand why girls and adults seemed to spend so much of their time in the bathtub. I even remember being offended at an advertisement for soap that implied there was something wrong with being dirty. In 2015 I got sick and now Im a germaphobe, probably for life, but my sympathies here still lie entirely with the Chthonians.
I was pretty Chthonian as a child (dirty), and as a teen I enjoyed digging up small animals (pillbugs, lizards, millipedes, salamanders, snails, etc.) in my extensive backyard and putting them in a cardboard box I used as a terrarium.

When I was a twentysomething, I became deathly afraid of getting cobweb on me and avoided touching plants or reaching into corners in an OCD fashion (and yes, I am diagnosed with OCD).

When did your obsession with soap that led to you adopting the screenname Soap begin?
♂♥♂♀

Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Khemehekis wrote: 17 Oct 2019 04:19 When did your obsession with soap that led to you adopting the screenname Soap begin?
Probably early childhood, ... I just expressed it oppositely back then because I wasnt in control of my own daily routine. The brand name of the ad that set me off was Safeguard .... even the name bothered me, as if they saw me as some weak, vulnerable creature that needed protection even from nature. I still have that attitude in most regards today, other than germs .... e.g. I dont wear sunblock, and I dont wear long pants when walking through tick-infested wilderness areas. Ive never had a problem with either of those things except once getting a sunburn in south Florida and once having a tick crawl around on me some hours after I had been in the woods. But I've never been bitten.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

I had a dream about a phenomenon called lusignanism (pronounced /gɑd.ə.'bɑ.bəl.ɪzm̩/, as if it were spelled "godabobbleism") that refers to a person becoming the thing they eat. In the dream, I was in a classroom setting trying to explain this concept to people, expecting them to be astonished by the nonsensical pronunciation of the word. I wrote the word on a white board then explained how it was pronounced. I even looked the word up on Wikipedia just to be sure that this was the correct pronunciation and it was. The meaning was almost secondary.

You all think your dreams are weird; try getting inside my head.

Now, the "lusignan" part is from the fact that right before bed today I read from a history of the Plantagenets I've been reading that mentioned the Lusignan family of France. So that name being in my mind at least has some explanation, but the rest is just surreal.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

I was dating an angel and had been for at least five months. In this dream, angels were predominantly female, and of ordinary human appearance except that they were typically taller. This is all consistent with the mythology of the religion I've created for planet Teppala, and I knew that she was very powerful and mostly but not entirely benevolent. It's not clear if we were married, engaged, or neither.

I was expecting a baby, but noticed that in the five months since we'd first had sex her belly had not changed from its original shape. Because I was smaller than her, I had figured that our baby might be smaller than usual, but another woman told me that (for reasons unclear) our baby was going to be actually full size, as if we were a normal angel couple. I still was not sure of what this meant because I thought that perhaps angels simply didn't swell up as much as human women did when they were carrying a baby. So, in a restaurant, I asked her what was up.

She replied that she wasn't going to have a baby because I had been very emotionally cold for the last three months, and that I needed to change if I wanted to be a father. I still wasn't clear on what she had done ... had she aborted the baby? paused her pregnancy? had she just walled me off from the beginning and just not told me? or was my own emotion somehow causing the conception to fail? Since angels in Teppalan religions can conceive a baby with or without a male angel, each of these possibilities seemed plausible to me, but I didn't feel comfortable asking her such a question.
Kavunupupis, šiŋuputata.
Evni Öpiu-sä
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Evni Öpiu-sä »

In my dream, a young astronomer (he exists in real world but I don't tell his name) had written a short story about people that live around a blue star. An elder astronomer told him that there doesn't exist any blue stars; no red giant becomes a blue star. But the younger astronomer supported a research project where they finally found some blue stars.
:fin: - C2
:eng: - ranges from A2 to B2
:swe: - ranges from A1 to A2
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

I had another unusual dream. I mainly remember the end, in which I was riding a bicycle, attempting to coast down a hill along a twisting trail. The ground to the sides of the trail was composed of halved apples in varying sizes.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Perhaps, not a particularly weird dream, given that I've been playing the Witcher nonstop since I came back from winter break, but last night, I dreamt that I was playing a round of Gwent against the Bloody Baron, and managed to win by the skin of my teeth, because he made a bad move and I was able to limit him to the siege field, where he would only get +1 due to rain conditions. I woke up just as I won, out of pure glee.

And in related news, today, I beat the Bloody Baron, out of pure luck, I managed to get a +9 lead, but his spy cards gave him two more cards than me, so I had to pray that it summed to less than +9. And it was two +4 cards.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

I had a dream about slugs crawling through the snow into a wood cabin hubby and I were in. Hubby got very unhappy about all the slugs, and I told him to remove the slugs or pour salt on them, but he refused. So I took the salt and made a barrier of it around the cabin, throwing it at the slugs on the windows and tossing out the slugs that were already inside.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

I dreamed about a conlang relay, but it was very different from the one on the board. It was held in person, and for part of it the participants decamped to a forest. The translations were done by teams, but I was being a loner and worked on my own translation separate from my team. Each team had to draw a picture based on its understanding of the text. Also, there was magic. So, yeah, it was weird.

I don't remember much about the languages involved, but I think one team was translating from a Slavic conlang to a Germanic one. And both pictures (which I remember seeing suspended over the woods. Magic?) were of a human-like figure holding its right arm across its body.

Though I was kind of translating on my own, I still had some interaction with my team, but for the life of me, I can't remember what it was.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

alynnidalar wrote: 01 Aug 2019 14:43 I had a dream last night about the next US presidential election, in which I had a heated discussion with a coworker over the merits of Kamala Harris--I supported her strongly, he did not. This was unexpected because I have no particular feelings about Kamala Harris, know very little about her positions, and in fact have been scarcely following any news about Democratic presidential candidates. Apparently my subconscious is a big Harris supporter??? Weird.

(also, in my dream it was something like a Clinton-Sanders situation, where Kamala Harris had become wildly popular but didn't get the nomination, and I had taken on the role of a Bernie Bro for her (that is, I was obsessed with her despite her losing the nomination). I have no clue who the actual final candidate was, although I want to say either Elizabeth Warren or Joe Biden. Perhaps I've become a prophet, although I find it unlikely I'd be that obsessed with a single candidate--we'll see in a year, I guess.)
Over a year later . . . any further thoughts, Alynnidalar?
♂♥♂♀

jimydog000
greek
greek

Post by jimydog000 »

One I can still remember from a week ago.

I was thinking about a religious belief in my conworld before I went to sleep, I had a deity that is incarnate of moral-order and and another that is of life-order. When the con-people die they stand before the deities to be entered into... and then I didn't decide the rest.

Anyway the dream starts as a Star Trek or Futurama episode, or maybe a Rick and Morty plot. I'm in a ship with a crew and we enter another dimension, the dimension had air that was that orange stuff from Eveangelion, and two gigantic ropes twisting around each other, and if the ship touched any we would all cease to exist.
The ropes could talk in collective voices, and came off as malevolent, but we couldn't make out their intent. We then realised this was the afterlife and the two ropes were the product of dead souls. So kind of a space horror feel. Second part of the dream: we then realise the ropes are benevolent if we listen to only a few voices/souls at once and we make peace.

And then of course I/we look down and there is a carpet full of multiple, small ropes. Implying I'm actually a child playing with a toy spaceship. I wake up.
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Khemehekis wrote: 13 Aug 2020 13:25
alynnidalar wrote: 01 Aug 2019 14:43 I had a dream last night about the next US presidential election, in which I had a heated discussion with a coworker over the merits of Kamala Harris--I supported her strongly, he did not. This was unexpected because I have no particular feelings about Kamala Harris, know very little about her positions, and in fact have been scarcely following any news about Democratic presidential candidates. Apparently my subconscious is a big Harris supporter??? Weird.

Over a year later . . . any further thoughts, Alynnidalar?
[xD] [xD] [xD] The minute I saw the news, I thought of this dream. I CAN SEE THE FUTURE!!!!!!

Also I still know barely anything about her, so I guess I better start learning if I wanna become a Kamala bro in time for the election!